My 3 word player analysis V The Bummers

joeboy

H, in your opinion where do you see morton playing down the line? what are your expectations of him? (just interested in your opinion - you're one of very few on this site that doesn't get carried away with players or get overly critical because of one bad game)

Chris Connolly believes that Watts and Morton are the two most important players on our list. I agree with him. We've been crying out for stars for 30 years and I genuinely believe that these two have that potential. Some on here don't see Morton as a potential star and that's fair enough, but I believe that he has the talent to become one with the right dedication and management. He's grown to 194cms, has elite endurance as evidenced by his 15+ beep test, and I like the way he thinks through traffic. He has creativity.

What I don't know is how he's going to fill out. He's key position height, but will he ever have a key position physique ? I'm a believer that your best players end up in the forward line. So ultimately I see him as a forward, but with his tank he'll always be able to have a run on-ball. I don't see him as a crash and bash forward obviously, but I do see him developing into a marking tall/utility.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bartram - league's worst kick

Martin - career best game

Miller - gave no leadership

Bit harsh on Bartram, he started quietly but he spent the entire night tagging Brett Stanton and I thought he did a pretty good job. I don't think it was Martin's best game ever, but he did some good things. I thought Miller did more than enough to stay in the team and looked dangerous for quite a bit of the game.

Bartram - 50/50

Bate - frustrating player #1

Bennell - back to magoos for while

Bruce - frustrating player #2

Cheney - doing ok

Davey - a rare beacon

Frawley - terrific all night

Green - lucky he's there

Grimes - starting to impact

Jetta - maggos for you ( for now )

Johnson - good without brilliance

Jurrah - woohoo

Martin - getting better n better

McLean - good ..needs help though

Miller - frsutrating player #3

Moloney - bled for jumper

Morton - he was there ??

Rivers - shadow of self ;(

Robertson - stop "starring" get playing !!

Sylvia - starting to impress

Watts - overshadowed by other newby !!!

Whelan - au revoir !!

Bartram - played tagger's role

Bate - good given circumstances

Bennell - disappointed with disposal

Bruce - shouldn't be VC

Cheney - tough but struggled

Davey - still kicks well

Frawley - another promising performance

Green - best yet again

Grimes - looks much older

Jetta - didn't warrant selection

Johnson - just a game

Jurrah - exciting, tantalising, special

Martin - his best game

McLean - good clearance work

Miller - not enough output

Moloney - brilliant in stoppages

Morton - very very disappointing

Rivers - not our worst

Robertson - career on line

Sylvia - didn't drop off

Watts - OK in patches

Whelan - shouldn't be playing

Daniher-era NQR:

Bartram -

Bate -

Johnson -

"Senior players"

Miller -

Bruce -

Robertson -

Whelan -

Actual senior players

Green -

Rivers -

McLean -

Sylvia -

Moloney -

Davey -

Who knows?

Jetta -

Jurrah -

Cheney -

Martin -

Geddy Lee knows:

Bennell -

Frawley -

Grimes -

Morton -

Watts -

Grouped the 22 from last night into groups of our best senior players, senior players who I think should go, CAC's/Neale's NQR players, our completely unproven youngsters and our guaranteed quality youngsters.

I was surprised to find that I have real confidence in only half of our team from last night (Group 3 and 5 respectively). For the rest I have hope only. One scary thing is IMO opinion we only have 6 quality senior players, and of those 6, 2 are too slow (McLean and Rivers). Only McLean and Moloney are genuine midfielders too.

Not every premiership player is going to be quality, but at this stage, we need our Blease, Strauss, Scully, Lucas, and we need them badly. Our ruck is a shambles too and our HF line (Bate/Robbo/Miller) is absolutely terrible, I think it's far worse than our midfield.

Daniher-era NQR:

Bartram -

Bate -

Johnson -

I'll keep standing by Bate. I thought he was pretty good last night. When we went forward he gave us a target, kicked well for goal too. Doesn't deserve some of the criticism he's getting here.

The rest of your groupings are pretty good though.

It's hard sometimes to remember that Bennell is a first year player. He has less that ten games to his name, but his skill and poise make him look so much better. To be given the job on Davey and more or less pull it off is a huge feather in his cap. Even if he wasn't a standout last night, he was not disgraced either. He is going to be a superstar one of these days.

I'll keep standing by Bate. I thought he was pretty good last night. When we went forward he gave us a target, kicked well for goal too. Doesn't deserve some of the criticism he's getting here.

Bate is not the main man but with better players, Bate's going to be a very good player for us.

Geedy knows is an exciting list.

Bennell played on davey who had a limited impact. I thought he was ok for a first year player.

Davey's second half was very good. I thought he beat Bennell overall.

It's hard sometimes to remember that Bennell is a first year player. He has less that ten games to his name, but his skill and poise make him look so much better. To be given the job on Davey and more or less pull it off is a huge feather in his cap. Even if he wasn't a standout last night, he was not disgraced either. He is going to be a superstar one of these days.

I was disappointed by Bennell's disposal, more than anything. Given what we've seen from Bennell, I thought last night was far below his best. But we do have a future gun on our hands.

Bartram - just can't kick

Bate - always nearly there

Bennell - rarely seen dash

Bruce - possessions lacked impact

Cheney - strong over head

Davey - tried to much

Frawley - strong quick smart

Green - courage a plenty

Grimes - solid and reliable

Jetta - was he playing?

Johnson - improvement on form

Jurrah - produced. great potential.

Martin - our multi-position man

McLean - best in weeks

Miller - still can't kick

Moloney - bleeds for club

Morton - two average games

Rivers - was well beaten

Robertson - little to commend

Sylvia - acceptable game today

Watts - better near goal

Whelan - how long left?

sylvias game was ok. not up to the standard set the past few weeks and thats ok. but i think he let us down by missing that easy shot at goal in the last? 35 out in front. we were 10 goals down at 3/4 time had kicked the first 3 and he had a chance to make it a 5 goal game. we weren't going to win, but with half a quarter and some momentum, that goal could have seen us rush a bit.

maybe i am harsh on him. but i really think he can be that player who lifts the side. or finishes it off. the type of player whos 5 touches in 5 minutes result in 2-3 goals and swing the momentum. a player who can influence. unfortunately, he has had a chance to do that a few times when he has had set shots, and he has let himself down.

he has started to do it with his field play, and we know he can kick goal. needs to do it more often.

Jetta - was he playing?

It's a pity that Jetta didn't play very well last night. His form at Casey has been pretty good, and he's been kicking goals too. But last night, as you said, he was virtually unnoticed. Did a couple of nice things, but did not justify his recall.

Jetta a number of times in the VFL would lean on an opponent and then at the last instant, push off and take a mark (after unbalancing the opponent).

I noticed last night he tried this, but against the bigger bodies in the AFL, they aren't unbalanced as easily and he didn't get near it.

Bartram - league's worst kick

Bate - a casual observer

Bennell - was rarely sighted

Cheney - was rarely sighted

Davey - too many turnovers

Green - our only professional

Grimes - stuck to task

Jetta - all at sea

Johnson - strong all night

Jurrah - cause for excitement

Martin - career best game

McLean - better but slow

Miller - gave no leadership

Moloney - heart of team

Morton - career has stalled

Rivers - was well beaten

Robertson - little to commend

Sylvia - continued his renaissance

Watts - some nice touches

Whelan - oh so loose

Morton career stalled???? he's 19 and played about 25 games................grow up

Bartram - Did a decent job on stanton

Bate - Cannot mark

Bennell - Not his best

Cheney - Some good things

Davey - got better

Green - pure class and heart

Grimes - stuck to task

Jetta - looked lost

Johnson - please do not let kick

Jurrah - in the words of evil ted "I got a full on robot chubby"

Martin - Was good abck and forward

McLean - Started slow, got better

Miller - 3 min cameo

Moloney - heart of team

Morton - did he play the 1st half?

Rivers - Does not look with the pace yet

Robertson - gtes himself out of contests too easy

Sylvia - Another good game by the kid

Watts - some nice touches and some poor efforts at the contest

Whelan - Sad to say he looks well of the pace.

Miller must be traded to GC

Im with you, when his not the constant target up forward and watts jurrah and possibly butcher are there he will be a valuable player imo.

Bartram - Did a decent job on stanton

Bate - Cannot mark

Bennell - Not his best

Cheney - Some good things

Davey - got better

Green - pure class and heart

Grimes - stuck to task

Jetta - looked lost

Johnson - please do not let kick

Jurrah - in the words of evil ted "I got a full on robot chubby"

Martin - Was good abck and forward

McLean - Started slow, got better

Miller - 3 min cameo

Moloney - heart of team

Morton - did he play the 1st half?

Rivers - Does not look with the pace yet

Robertson - gtes himself out of contests too easy

Sylvia - Another good game by the kid

Watts - some nice touches and some poor efforts at the contest

Whelan - Sad to say he looks well of the pace.

Watts just needs to keep playing, l heard on the news some dipstick says he should be dropped

......and you tell me to ' grow up ' !

Yes I can see GC offering us the world for Miller , he's exactly what they need .

LOL, I can just the it now, the football world jockeying for position wiht the news that Miller is available for trade!

Rodent, if you dont have anything worthy to add to the discussion, then go away.

go away you nasty bully, too many wedgies at school did we? Listen l aint the shcool bully but l'm stating facts from an under performing side and by the way its a free country and l can have any opinion l like, and the last 2 weeks have been woeful disinterested efforts and l'm sick of it