• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2009 NAB U-18 National Champs @ Etihad Stadium

cooko

I think people are becoming a little too scared of a Richmond type scenario. I watched the last three matches today and no key position player really stood out enough to suggest going at number 2. I could understand taking a Roughead, but there simply doesn't seem to be one. I'm for Scully (who was incredibly awesome today) and Trengove, although Carlisle (spelling?) was kind of impressive for Metro in the second half. How tall is he though? He seemed to read it well. I'm not sure, could he fall to the late teens and into our hands?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scully and best KPF.We're not going to make Richmond's mistake of taking the 2 best mids (at the time) and leaving the 2 best KPF's to win their team a flag.

End of story. :angry:

Sorry, but it is ot the end of the story. You don't go and pick up a KPF just because of one example in the draft history where it didn't work for one team picking up two midfielders.

You pick the two best players available, and if they happen to be mids, then so be it. We have holes over most of our list, except maybe in defense.

If we picked up a KPF just for the sake of picking up one and he didn't work out, then we just become an example brought up by other teams for future drafts, like people are using the Tigers at present.

ill try and do a better summary tomorrow but people who were highlights -

Roland Ah Chee (NT) was best on ground in the NT v Qld game for me.. he should be a bit of a gun.. if he slips to round 2 would love to grab him!

Steven May (NT) solid forward. Kicked 3 goals

Gary Rohan (Vic Country) - my god this guy is quick!! very flashy.. doesn’t get heaps of it.. but when he does he produces magic!!

John Butcher (Vic Country) - didn’t get much of it at all.. WA dominating the game was probably why. Seemed to have 2 on him most of the match. He was a little disappointing after a lot of hype.. but I dare say.. he still looked like one of the better forwards today (it was pretty much all midfielders game)

Dustin Martin (Vic Country) - probably Country's best player.. ball magnet! Ended up with 28 possessions!

Kane Lucas (WA) - highest disposals for WA and I think was equal best on ground with Martin! Great player!

Anthony Morabito (WA) - good size, goes hard, flashy, but it looked like he was going for a lot of 'hero' shots when he could have passed it around more

Tom Scully (Vic Metro) - so far above the rest.. total freak!! he runs non stop.. amazing!

Luke Tapscott (SA) - kicked 3 goals.. SA's best forward from what i saw! Great build for a forward

Jack Trengrove (SA) - amazing first quarter.. then went missing..

Matthew Panos (SA) - did some ok things.. but didn’t see much at all after hype.. he didn’t get a lot of deliveries to him though as Tapscott was ripping it up!

I have more players that ill report on tomorrow.. but Vic Metro looked horrible!!

but Vic Metro looked horrible!!

I actually thought they played a lot like us. In both disposal efficiency and game plan. If Metro had a dominant key forward they would have won, but they really had no one to kick it too.

The string of handballs involving Scully and his goal, is how we should be executing the run and carry game plan. At least, we know he can do it, considering he'll be playing that style next year.

Liam Pickering'a view is that a KPP must go if available. Plenty of mids in this draft. With GC and WS will not get a chance to get one for years.

I think it may also depend on how the club sees Watts, LJ, Bate, Garland (Bailey has plans for him up forward and Martin as a pinch hitter developing.

If the club is happy with those listed above i think we get best available which most likely is Morabito who may develop into a forward anyway.

Liam Pickering'a view is that a KPP must go if available. Plenty of mids in this draft. With GC and WS will not get a chance to get one for years.

I think it may also depend on how the club sees Watts, LJ, Bate, Garland (Bailey has plans for him up forward and Martin as a pinch hitter developing.

If the club is happy with those listed above i think we get best available which most likely is Morabito who may develop into a forward anyway.

I like Pickers, and what he's saying is logical, but I beg to differ. Big blokes are speculative... plenty of clubs have got it wrong and still get it wrong. Unless the player is cut and dried (like Watts or Nick Nat) using an early pick is folly IMO. Is Butcher worth pick 2 just because there won't be as many chances in the future and he looks the best of the current draft or is he worth pick 2 because he's genuinely good enough to be ranked that high? Tough call, particularly given the club wants a contested KPF. If that's the case I certainly wouldn't discount the idea of tabling pick 2 in trade week if the club's not sold on Butcher and desperate for another tall forward.

I like Pickers, and what he's saying is logical, but I beg to differ. Big blokes are speculative... plenty of clubs have got it wrong and still get it wrong. Unless the player is cut and dried (like Watts or Nick Nat) using an early pick is folly IMO. Is Butcher worth pick 2 just because there won't be as many chances in the future and he looks the best of the current draft or is he worth pick 2 because he's genuinely good enough to be ranked that high? Tough call, particularly given the club wants a contested KPF.

I agree, grazman. But I'd be more inclined to go for a KP kid with our third pick.

Find my thoughts on Naitanui from last year.

I was the only one said after the game he would be a superstar and we must take him at number 1.

Anyone who thinks he was unimpressive from last years game has rocks in their head.

Naitanui will be a great footballer, IMO Watts will be better.

Naitanui will be a great footballer, IMO Watts will be better.

Naita is a season ahead of Watts in his development.

They both will be very good players for their club.

Win/Win.

I think people are becoming a little too scared of a Richmond type scenario. I watched the last three matches today and no key position player really stood out enough to suggest going at number 2. I could understand taking a Roughead, but there simply doesn't seem to be one. I'm for Scully (who was incredibly awesome today) and Trengove, although Carlisle (spelling?) was kind of impressive for Metro in the second half. How tall is he though? He seemed to read it well. I'm not sure, could he fall to the late teens and into our hands?

Carlisle is listed at 196cm. Good size.

I'd be more than happy for Melbourne to select Trengove/Morabito (I'm split down the middle with these two) at 2. One of Carlisle, Talia or Griffiths should be available here and thought they all showed a bit. Want to see more of Butcher before I make a definitive call, but thought he was disappointing. Not just in the contest, but off the ball as well.

I must say I was pretty dissipointed by Butcher's game today, I know he has had his injuries this year but I can't think of him winning a 50/50 contest today. His best moments where when he chased and laid a couple of tackles, and for a 197cm key forward, I don't want that being the best thing of his game. The WA defenders were into him early and I don't know if he felt comfortable out there today, to be fair to him I thought he played a lot better on saturday although agaisnt much weaker opposition.

On Ted Strudwick our NSW boy, I thought he looked a good ordinary player. Unfortunately just before half time he made a critical mistake that cost his side a goal and he didn't do much after that.

I am a bit shocked that Scully didn't get the Larke medal as well, I know Vic Metro didn't do well but he had just about 5 BOG which is an amazing feat.

See another tall forward option, would just about do us. Add two elite players (preferably midfielders) with picks 1 & 2 and all of a sudden, the list is looking very promising.

What does the scholarship mean? what do we get by doing it?

Pretty sure in the draft any ones available to any one.

The clubs can promote the scholarship players onto the senior list or rookie list at the time of the final list lodgement before the National Draft. The player can refuse to be put on a rookie list if he believes he may picked up in the national draft by another club.

Say NO to John Butcher.

He is overrated and we dont need a tall forward like most people believe we do.

Geelong won a flag with Cameron Mooney as their key forward.

West Coast won a flag with Quentin Lynch as their key forward.

Watts, Jurrah and Martin will develop together to form a great trio of talls. All three are great at ground level too.

Best player at pick 2 thanks, and it will be a midfielder.

ahh here we go.

http://forums.demonland.com/index.php?show...&hl=ah+chee

I was surprised Roland Ah Chee wasn't picked up last year...he is a great bloke. Could be a superstar. Wonna's cousin Patrick (Bugsy) Heenan who also missed out last year also played today for NT..

Nugget, What position does Roland Ah Chee play in?

Say NO to John Butcher.

He is overrated and we dont need a tall forward like most people believe we do.

Geelong won a flag with Cameron Mooney as their key forward.

West Coast won a flag with Quentin Lynch as their key forward.

Watts, Jurrah and Martin will develop together to form a great trio of talls. All three are great at ground level too.

Best player at pick 2 thanks, and it will be a midfielder.

Agreed we should take the best mids with the first 2 picks.

We do need another Key forward, but a mobile one who can play many roles. If we were to lose a key position player, especially forward, we'd be in a shyters ditch.

Panos, who didn't show much of his ability today, may be around our 2nd Rnd pick.

Recorded the Vic Metro v SA on Fox I.Q. and just watched it.

Scully, I'm sold.

I was wondering why I hadn't heard much about Josh Toy while I was drinking him in... would've made our selectors job very easy I reckon. Raking boot (60+m from kick), good height and awareness, LIGHTNING pace and all at 17!!! Anyone else want to sabotage GC17 with me?

I was down there today. I haven't seen any of the other matches in the carnival this year, so my judgements will be completely based on what i saw at the ground. Tbh, i probably would have preffered to watch the games on foxtel; more informative, with background info on the players season form, and commentary etc. But i guess seeing it live gives a better feel of the players 'presence' on the ground and in the game. Difficult to spot players numbers sometimes, especially SA's tiny jumper numbers. It didn't help that the scorboards at that ground are awfully small too. Took down a few notes, a bit hard to read some of what i wrote, but here's the jist of it. I kept a particular eye out for the best midfielders and rucks, and tall forwards:

VC v WA

WA won by about 7 or 8 goals. Here are my stand-out performers.

WA

Chris Luff #39 Tall Defender, 193cm 82 kg --> Played on Butcher and absolutely destroyed him. Some strong marks and loved the physical contests. My first viewing of Butcher this year, and I was left highly uninmpressed. Luff and, on most occassions, another defender running back would spoil anything he went near. Luff got right under Butchers nose, and really put off his game. He was at him all day, bumping Butcher's heavily strapped shoulders at every possible occassion. By the 2nd half, Butcher had stopped chasing, looked disinterested and basically was just cruising around. Kicked two goals, one from a free, the other from an uncontested mark. Luff definitely took the points there and was easily the standout tall defender.

Josh Donaldson # 38, Utility/Ruckman, 193cm 86kg --> Undersized for a ruckman, but timed his jumps beautifully, had a huge leap, and was rarely beaten in the ruck all day. Technically speaking, and surprisingly given he was giving away 7-8cm on his opponent, he was WA's #1 ruck and the standout tap ruckman of the day IMO. That said, i didn't really notice him much in other positions of the ground. At only 193cm, he's too short to play ruck in the AFL, unfortunately, because at this level he was fantastic. Has scope to grow, but would always be undersized in the Jeff White mould.

Ryan Neates #6, Small Forward/Midfielder, 178cm, 75kg --> Quite short, but talented small forward. Good mark, had a great run down the wing at one stage with very strong 3rd and 4th efforts. Kicked 2 goals.

Anthony Morabito #24, Tall Inside Midfielder, 190cm 90kg --> Impressed with his strength and running ability. Very creative runner, ran to dangerous spots, good mark, and highly competitive. Looked at times a bit more of an athlete than a footballer, i.e. not the best kick or decision maker, but plays at a full-on intensity at all times. Missed a set shot at goal, but a couple of minutes later got one back with full on gut-running. Ended with 2 goals and got a stack of ball around the stoppages. Laid some great tackles too. Looked good, but kicking is a worry.

Nicholas Winmar #20, Outside Midfielder/Forward, 190cm 78kg --> 'Nicky' Winmar really impressed me with his athleticism, tidy foot skills, footy smarts and strong marking. Showed good courage in the air, and looked silky smooth running on the wing in space. Looked very much an outside player to me at this stage, but didn't lack courage or hardness when he needed to go. Probably doesn't have the best engine yet, because he seemed to flash in and out of the play, and often was found very wide of the footy. Looked great with the ball though, silky passing skills and very good kick for goal too. Watching him in the pre-match warm up, he was slotting them from everywhere.

WA had a lot of good players, so it was difficult to pick standouts. Luke Swallow played well, but hardly stood out for mine. Ditto Kane Lucas and Mitch Duncan. Overall they played better as a team and seemed a better-drilled side. Jack Darling was prominent up forward, kicking 2 or 3 i think. Was nice watching a free-flowing, "zone-free" style of footy for once, considering the crap game styles being used by some clubs in the AFL at the moment.

VIC COUNTRY

Gary Rohan #23, Medium Outside Midfielder/Forward, 186cm 79kg --> The standout player on the ground, and the whole day, IMO. Shock of red hair and some breath-taking double and triple efforts, great courage, very similar to the performance of fellow blood-nut Sam Blease at last years carnival. Occasionally a bit raw with his skills, but effort and application were immense, as was his speed and endurance. Very quick. Strong mark for size. Was everywhere, kicked 1.2 on the day, but it was his running ability and his hardness on the wing that really impressed.

Allen Christensen #3, Small Inside Midfielder, 176cm, 74kg --> Was everywhere early on. Very short, not particularly quick, but good footy brain in the stoppages and also in space. Good foot skills too. Played a reasonable game in a midfield that was out-classed.

Dustin Martin #29, Medium Midfielder, 187cm 86kg --> Strong bodied player, lacking a bit in pace but very smart by hand and foot. Kicked a goal and overall played a good match. Dominant first half. Think he spent some time on Morabito in the 2nd half maybe? (I have something scribbled on my paper saying something to that effect, but don't exactly remember).

John Butcher #26, Tall Forward, 197cm 84kg --> As stated above, was well beaten by Luff. Failed to get any space on his opponent, didn't demand the footy or impose himself on any contests, and looked a bit like a sulking FF getting poor service at times. Didn't see him make (or get to) enough contests. Lack of second efforts and no defensive pressure in the 2nd half. Beaten mentally and physically by Chris Luff. Kicked 2 soft goals, missed one just before the siren. IMHO, based on that performance i'd be disappointed if we went for him at pick 2. Not sure how he'll cope at AFL level to the bigger stronger bodies (physically he was bigger than Luff, but Luff was much tougher and stronger it seemed).

The Country boys had a bit of a disappointing game after being in it early. Surprised Hooper won the Larke, I hardly noticed him today, other than his massive kick-ins. I thought Country had a lot of players showed glimpses, but there were few standouts other than Rohan.

VM v SA

SA won a tight one after a spirited comeback in the last quarter led by Scully and Jake Carlisle. I didn't take as much notice of the SA team as i did the Metro side, just breif one word notes here and there. Off the top of my head, this is what i remember:

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Byron Sumner #1, Small Outside Midfielder, 174cm, 68kg --> Indigenous player, played on the wing. Showed good ball use and poise with the footy. Loves a tackle. Accountability not a strong point. Very creative though.

Jack Trengove #20, Medium Inside Midfielder, 185cm 82kg --> Played a pretty good game. Showed glimpses as to why people are rating him. Great skills, pace, attack on the footy and engine. Lots of little handballs in traffic. However, a couple of times he just blazed away when under no pressure, kicking long to contests when there were better options short. Needs to lower his eyes, but overall played reasonably well and deserves his high rating. Had a great duel in the last quarter with Scully. Didn't have much ball after half time.

Hayden Jolly #21, Medium Forward/Midfielder, 182cm 82kg --> Presented strongly across half forward and kicked 2.3. Good mark for his size, kicking was a mixed bag. Got a lot of the footy through the middle too.

Taite Silversock #23, Small Forward, 178cm 83kg --> Presented well and got into good crumbing positions. Strong mark, didn't look that quick though. I had him written down as kicking 2.2. Had good goal sense, and got his goals at crucial moments. Great surname.

Brodie Smith #18, Medium Utility, 187cm 73kg --> Didn't really notice him much, other than a couple of passages where he showed some real lightning pace. Good size, really exceptional speed.

Jack Hannath #39, Ruckman, 199cm 84kg --> Impressed with great leap and good solid frame. Will fill out into an imposing figure eventually. His leap was exceptional and he took some good marks in defence. Ruck work wasn't bad, would improve dramatically coached at AFL level. SA's other ruckman, Scott Lycett i think, rucked really well, but didn't do much else. Big unit.

Matthew Panos #33, Tall Forward, 192cm 85kg --> Quiet day for Panos, didn't get much delivery to him. Kicked a couple and missed 1 or too, but really didn't have much effect on the game. Started very slow but got better as the game wore on.

SA dominated the 2nd quarter and were never really headed from there. Luke Tapscott provided a good target up forward, booting 3. SA faded in the 4th and started getting chopped up by Scully, but overall a solid all round performance.

VIC METRO

Tom Scully #32 (then switched to) #25, Inside/Outside Small Midfielder, 182cm 75kg --> Gun. Absolute gun. Got smashed in the 1st qtr and broke his nose, had to deal with a tight-tag from SA's Alex Wilson early on. Came back on with the strapped up face and showed why he's widely renowned as the #1 for this year. A predator-type midfielder, not really inside or outside, just everywhere. Reads the play so well and always wants the ball, a lot like Ablett in that his appetite for footy is insatiable. He just loves the footy. Speed, skills by hand and on both feet, decision-making all top-notch. Contested marking around the ground also a feature. Kicked a goal which outlined his class, with repeat efforts and flawless finish. Will certainly end up at the Dee's next year, without a shadow of a doubt. Clearly the best player on the ground, and of the day (along with VC's Gary Rohan) IMO.

Andrew Gaff #6, Small Outside Midfielder, 180cm 75kg --> Started like a house on fire, solid in the other 3 quarters. Used the ball superbly, classy kick to advantage and good in space. Reminded me of Carlton Kade Simpson, great intensity, pace, courage, but small in stature. Stood out with his run and ball use.

Jack Fitzpatrick #14, Tall Forward/Ruckman, 201cm 86kg --> Skinny and athletic tall who showed good agility. Had a bunch of mates in the crowd in front of where i was with the "Jack Fitzpatrick Wing" banner yelling out to him all game, seemed to put him off. Had a couple of shocking moments, his shot on the run after doing all the hard work but spraying the kick from 30m was disappointing. Looks very raw, but has potential. Only query i would have with him is that IMO he's very similar to Paul Johnson. Not really a ruckman, yet not quite a key position forward, plus he makes some silly decisions and his skills can let him down sometimes. Ruckwork was nothing special and his overhead marking looked suspect a couple of times. Could be anything because of his agility for his size, but doesn't look like he's nailed any one position yet.

Jake Carlisle #30, Tall Forward, 196cm 93kg --> The standout tall forward for Vic Metro, kicked 3 goals in the last quarter and 4 on the day. Showed out with some excellent contested marking on a number of occassions. Very impressive athleticism, nice finish on goal and physical type you like from a CHF. Finished his work off well and will have gone right up the pecking order with that performance. Agility might be an issue. Would be a good player to pickup if still available for our 3rd pick, around pick 17.

Ayden Kennedy #16, Utility/Forward 191cm 79kg --> Kicked a great goal and looked promising a couple of times up forward. Didn't get a great deal of it, but did alright when he did. Nice shot on goal and finish.

A couple of other quick notes: Josh Toy (#34) is no kid, he's got a ready-made body for AFL already. Great game. Daniel Talia (#5, 195cm 80kg utility/defender) took some great contested marks. Ben Jacobs (#35, 184cm inside midfielder) was very smart around the stoppages and at one point was tagging Trengove. Looked good, but lack of pace might see him slip right down.

Anyway, that's what i thought. Oh man, that was a task... That's the longest post i've ever written, and i've written some long ones. My brain hurts now!

Not the best day for the Big-V, freezing cold weather, and stupidly, the roof open for the first 3 and a half games... but a lot of young talent and a gun in Scully coming to Melbourne was enough to make it all worth it... ;)

Anyway, that's what i thought. Oh man, that was a task... That's the longest post i've ever written, and i've written some long ones. My brain hurts now!

Thanks a heap Doggo! im over in london at the moment and really love the whole drafting/trading stuff. No chance that I will get to see the games, so your effort is really appreciated!

I was down there today. I haven't seen any of the other matches in the carnival this year, so my judgements will be completely based on what i saw at the ground. Tbh, i probably would have preffered to watch the games on foxtel; more informative, with background info on the players season form, and commentary etc. But i guess seeing it live gives a better feel of the players 'presence' on the ground and in the game. Difficult to spot players numbers sometimes, especially SA's tiny jumper numbers. It didn't help that the scorboards at that ground are awfully small too. Took down a few notes, a bit hard to read some of what i wrote, but here's the jist of it. I kept a particular eye out for the best midfielders and rucks, and tall forwards:

VC v WA

WA won by about 7 or 8 goals. Here are my stand-out performers.

WA

Chris Luff #39 Tall Defender, 193cm 82 kg --> Played on Butcher and absolutely destroyed him. Some strong marks and loved the physical contests. My first viewing of Butcher this year, and I was left highly uninmpressed. Luff and, on most occassions, another defender running back would spoil anything he went near. Luff got right under Butchers nose, and really put off his game. He was at him all day, bumping Butcher's heavily strapped shoulders at every possible occassion. By the 2nd half, Butcher had stopped chasing, looked disinterested and basically was just cruising around. Kicked two goals, one from a free, the other from an uncontested mark. Luff definitely took the points there and was easily the standout tall defender.

Josh Donaldson # 38, Utility/Ruckman, 193cm 86kg --> Undersized for a ruckman, but timed his jumps beautifully, had a huge leap, and was rarely beaten in the ruck all day. Technically speaking, and surprisingly given he was giving away 7-8cm on his opponent, he was WA's #1 ruck and the standout tap ruckman of the day IMO. That said, i didn't really notice him much in other positions of the ground. At only 193cm, he's too short to play ruck in the AFL, unfortunately, because at this level he was fantastic. Has scope to grow, but would always be undersized in the Jeff White mould.

Ryan Neates #6, Small Forward/Midfielder, 178cm, 75kg --> Quite short, but talented small forward. Good mark, had a great run down the wing at one stage with very strong 3rd and 4th efforts. Kicked 2 goals.

Anthony Morabito #24, Tall Inside Midfielder, 190cm 90kg --> Impressed with his strength and running ability. Very creative runner, ran to dangerous spots, good mark, and highly competitive. Looked at times a bit more of an athlete than a footballer, i.e. not the best kick or decision maker, but plays at a full-on intensity at all times. Missed a set shot at goal, but a couple of minutes later got one back with full on gut-running. Ended with 2 goals and got a stack of ball around the stoppages. Laid some great tackles too. Looked good, but kicking is a worry.

Nicholas Winmar #20, Outside Midfielder/Forward, 190cm 78kg --> 'Nicky' Winmar really impressed me with his athleticism, tidy foot skills, footy smarts and strong marking. Showed good courage in the air, and looked silky smooth running on the wing in space. Looked very much an outside player to me at this stage, but didn't lack courage or hardness when he needed to go. Probably doesn't have the best engine yet, because he seemed to flash in and out of the play, and often was found very wide of the footy. Looked great with the ball though, silky passing skills and very good kick for goal too. Watching him in the pre-match warm up, he was slotting them from everywhere.

WA had a lot of good players, so it was difficult to pick standouts. Luke Swallow played well, but hardly stood out for mine. Ditto Kane Lucas and Mitch Duncan. Overall they played better as a team and seemed a better-drilled side. Jack Darling was prominent up forward, kicking 2 or 3 i think. Was nice watching a free-flowing, "zone-free" style of footy for once, considering the crap game styles being used by some clubs in the AFL at the moment.

VIC COUNTRY

Gary Rohan #23, Medium Outside Midfielder/Forward, 186cm 79kg --> The standout player on the ground, and the whole day, IMO. Shock of red hair and some breath-taking double and triple efforts, great courage, very similar to the performance of fellow blood-nut Sam Blease at last years carnival. Occasionally a bit raw with his skills, but effort and application were immense, as was his speed and endurance. Very quick. Strong mark for size. Was everywhere, kicked 1.2 on the day, but it was his running ability and his hardness on the wing that really impressed.

Allen Christensen #3, Small Inside Midfielder, 176cm, 74kg --> Was everywhere early on. Very short, not particularly quick, but good footy brain in the stoppages and also in space. Good foot skills too. Played a reasonable game in a midfield that was out-classed.

Dustin Martin #29, Medium Midfielder, 187cm 86kg --> Strong bodied player, lacking a bit in pace but very smart by hand and foot. Kicked a goal and overall played a good match. Dominant first half. Think he spent some time on Morabito in the 2nd half maybe? (I have something scribbled on my paper saying something to that effect, but don't exactly remember).

John Butcher #26, Tall Forward, 197cm 84kg --> As stated above, was well beaten by Luff. Failed to get any space on his opponent, didn't demand the footy or impose himself on any contests, and looked a bit like a sulking FF getting poor service at times. Didn't see him make (or get to) enough contests. Lack of second efforts and no defensive pressure in the 2nd half. Beaten mentally and physically by Chris Luff. Kicked 2 soft goals, missed one just before the siren. IMHO, based on that performance i'd be disappointed if we went for him at pick 2. Not sure how he'll cope at AFL level to the bigger stronger bodies (physically he was bigger than Luff, but Luff was much tougher and stronger it seemed).

The Country boys had a bit of a disappointing game after being in it early. Surprised Hooper won the Larke, I hardly noticed him today, other than his massive kick-ins. I thought Country had a lot of players showed glimpses, but there were few standouts other than Rohan.

VM v SA

SA won a tight one after a spirited comeback in the last quarter led by Scully and Jake Carlisle. I didn't take as much notice of the SA team as i did the Metro side, just breif one word notes here and there. Off the top of my head, this is what i remember:

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Byron Sumner #1, Small Outside Midfielder, 174cm, 68kg --> Indigenous player, played on the wing. Showed good ball use and poise with the footy. Loves a tackle. Accountability not a strong point. Very creative though.

Jack Trengove #20, Medium Inside Midfielder, 185cm 82kg --> Played a pretty good game. Showed glimpses as to why people are rating him. Great skills, pace, attack on the footy and engine. Lots of little handballs in traffic. However, a couple of times he just blazed away when under no pressure, kicking long to contests when there were better options short. Needs to lower his eyes, but overall played reasonably well and deserves his high rating. Had a great duel in the last quarter with Scully. Didn't have much ball after half time.

Hayden Jolly #21, Medium Forward/Midfielder, 182cm 82kg --> Presented strongly across half forward and kicked 2.3. Good mark for his size, kicking was a mixed bag. Got a lot of the footy through the middle too.

Taite Silversock #23, Small Forward, 178cm 83kg --> Presented well and got into good crumbing positions. Strong mark, didn't look that quick though. I had him written down as kicking 2.2. Had good goal sense, and got his goals at crucial moments. Great surname.

Brodie Smith #18, Medium Utility, 187cm 73kg --> Didn't really notice him much, other than a couple of passages where he showed some real lightning pace. Good size, really exceptional speed.

Jack Hannath #39, Ruckman, 199cm 84kg --> Impressed with great leap and good solid frame. Will fill out into an imposing figure eventually. His leap was exceptional and he took some good marks in defence. Ruck work wasn't bad, would improve dramatically coached at AFL level. SA's other ruckman, Scott Lycett i think, rucked really well, but didn't do much else. Big unit.

Matthew Panos #33, Tall Forward, 192cm 85kg --> Quiet day for Panos, didn't get much delivery to him. Kicked a couple and missed 1 or too, but really didn't have much effect on the game. Started very slow but got better as the game wore on.

SA dominated the 2nd quarter and were never really headed from there. Luke Tapscott provided a good target up forward, booting 3. SA faded in the 4th and started getting chopped up by Scully, but overall a solid all round performance.

VIC METRO

Tom Scully #32 (then switched to) #25, Inside/Outside Small Midfielder, 182cm 75kg --> Gun. Absolute gun. Got smashed in the 1st qtr and broke his nose, had to deal with a tight-tag from SA's Alex Wilson early on. Came back on with the strapped up face and showed why he's widely renowned as the #1 for this year. A predator-type midfielder, not really inside or outside, just everywhere. Reads the play so well and always wants the ball, a lot like Ablett in that his appetite for footy is insatiable. He just loves the footy. Speed, skills by hand and on both feet, decision-making all top-notch. Contested marking around the ground also a feature. Kicked a goal which outlined his class, with repeat efforts and flawless finish. Will certainly end up at the Dee's next year, without a shadow of a doubt. Clearly the best player on the ground, and of the day (along with VC's Gary Rohan) IMO.

Andrew Gaff #6, Small Outside Midfielder, 180cm 75kg --> Started like a house on fire, solid in the other 3 quarters. Used the ball superbly, classy kick to advantage and good in space. Reminded me of Carlton Kade Simpson, great intensity, pace, courage, but small in stature. Stood out with his run and ball use.

Jack Fitzpatrick #14, Tall Forward/Ruckman, 201cm 86kg --> Skinny and athletic tall who showed good agility. Had a bunch of mates in the crowd in front of where i was with the "Jack Fitzpatrick Wing" banner yelling out to him all game, seemed to put him off. Had a couple of shocking moments, his shot on the run after doing all the hard work but spraying the kick from 30m was disappointing. Looks very raw, but has potential. Only query i would have with him is that IMO he's very similar to Paul Johnson. Not really a ruckman, yet not quite a key position forward, plus he makes some silly decisions and his skills can let him down sometimes. Ruckwork was nothing special and his overhead marking looked suspect a couple of times. Could be anything because of his agility for his size, but doesn't look like he's nailed any one position yet.

Jake Carlisle #30, Tall Forward, 196cm 93kg --> The standout tall forward for Vic Metro, kicked 3 goals in the last quarter and 4 on the day. Showed out with some excellent contested marking on a number of occassions. Very impressive athleticism, nice finish on goal and physical type you like from a CHF. Finished his work off well and will have gone right up the pecking order with that performance. Agility might be an issue. Would be a good player to pickup if still available for our 3rd pick, around pick 17.

Ayden Kennedy #16, Utility/Forward 191cm 79kg --> Kicked a great goal and looked promising a couple of times up forward. Didn't get a great deal of it, but did alright when he did. Nice shot on goal and finish.

A couple of other quick notes: Josh Toy (#34) is no kid, he's got a ready-made body for AFL already. Great game. Daniel Talia (#5, 195cm 80kg utility/defender) took some great contested marks. Ben Jacobs (#35, 184cm inside midfielder) was very smart around the stoppages and at one point was tagging Trengove. Looked good, but lack of pace might see him slip right down.

Not the best day for the Big-V, freezing cold weather, and stupidly, the roof open for the first 3 and a half games... but a lot of young talent and a gun in Scully coming to Melbourne was enough to make it all worth it... ;)

That was great doggo. Can we keep this in the files for future reference.