• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2009 NAB U-18 National Champs @ Etihad Stadium

cooko

I

Anthony Morabito #24, Tall Inside Midfielder, 190cm 90kg --> Impressed with his strength and running ability. Very creative runner, ran to dangerous spots, good mark, and highly competitive. Looked at times a bit more of an athlete than a footballer, i.e. not the best kick or decision maker, but plays at a full-on intensity at all times. Missed a set shot at goal, but a couple of minutes later got one back with full on gut-running. Ended with 2 goals and got a stack of ball around the stoppages. Laid some great tackles too. Looked good, but kicking is a worry.

Great summary mate. Was at Etihad today, and you were spot on with all of the descriptions.

Kicking was/is a worry with Naitanui too, but makes up for it with the X-factor. Just get that feeling that Morabito has potential that's yet to be tapped. Could be something special (could also be a flop...said the same thing about NicNat). Still can't split he and Trengove.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

National Championships, Etihad Stadium, 1st July, 2009.

If I could determine who will go between picks 1 & 10 in the NAB AFL Draft in November, then I may as well have shared in last night’s $106 million 1st Division Prize Pool in Oz Lotto by picking the winning numbers.

Furthermore spending one afternoon during the week at Etihad Stadium (Collo’s Coloseum), to see 2 games of footy, simply won’t help determine the first 10 picks either. But I will endeavour to provide all with some insight into some of the players that have been touted as high first round picks through forums and/or various media and what they may offer.

I had missed attending the morning’s matches NSW/ACT v Tasmania and Queensland v Northern Territory due to my work commitments. However, I did catch the last half of Qld v NT at lunch not far from Etihad and a couple of Queenslanders and a couple from NT did catch my eye.

The weather was terrible to say the least as I parked the car and walked, but it wasn’t going to stop me seeing what I had came to see. I found myself humming the last song I had heard in the car. It was from the sound track Remember the Titans, called “Ain’t no Mountain High enough”.

I thought of Melbournefc, my club. I thought of the playing list. I thought back to the last three weeks against Collingwood, Essendon & Brisbane. I thought about our current new recruits, our midfield, our forward line. I thought about who may go at year’s end. As I entered the stadium, still humming the song, the siren rang and it signalled for me what these next new recruits will mean to the club and how they will replenish and more importantly improve the quality of our playing list, by being more competitive, more skilful, more efficient.

As I found my seat the game was underway Vic Country v WA. Names were rolling through my head – Morabito, Lucas, Cunnington, Butcher, Rohan, Stevens, Darling, Christensen. Others would follow in the next game – Scully, Trengove, Panos, Tapscott and more.

Here is some insight into some of the players that caught my eye on a typical Melbourne day: -

Queensland: -

15 – Matthew Fowler – Good composure, strong on lead, good overhead mark. KPF. Goal Kicker.

Most Qld’s will be considered for GC17.

Northern Territory: -

15 - Troy Taylor – KPF who oozes composure.

18 - Steven May - Tall utility player who is most likely GC17 bound.

20 - Roland Ah Chee – Quick midfielder who finds plenty of the ball, skilful in execution.

Vic Country:-

3 - Allen Christensen - Small in and under mid/fwd with good speed and skills. Was off the ground a fair bit getting catching his breath. Lively type.

13 - Ryan Bastinac – Midfielder, lightly built, agile but not overly quick. Kicks ok.

20 - Ben Cunnington - Solid midfielder. An appetite for the contest, classy around goals, highly rated. Very strong at the ball, very good weighted kicks.

29 - Dustin Martin – looked very good, plenty of ball, loves a contest, covers ground well.

23 - Gary Rohan – Pace to burn. Midfield/Half Forward. This time last year was playing full back for Cobden. Early on in the game he resembled a ‘red flash’ of lightning, if he can improve his kicking a little to position I50 whilst on the run, he could be anything. Late improver and one I am certainly keeping an eye on. The red hair is no concern for me.

26 - John Butcher - Apparently was coming to us recently as either No.1 or No.2. Unsettled by Chris Luff (WA); Has been spoken about since last years Championships. KPF. Will be picked early on in draft. Wondering though if he maybe a slight slider. Ie.4-10 pick?

Western Australia: -

1 - Travis Coyler - Very Pacey, small midfielder – half forward, breaks the lines no worries, good hands, kicks ok but he missed a couple shots from 50m whilst burning his opponents off. One to watch.

4 - Brandon Matera - Looking likely for GC17; knows where the goals are.

10 - Kane Lucas – Midifelder, strong hands, poise & class. Not overly quick but covers the ground. Missed hitting targets, but on one or more occassion he could have been forgiven if meaning to put the ball in front of the running teammate.

24 - Anthony Morabito – Powerful & agile. Has a thirst for the contest. Dangerous, creative and one to watch at the stoppages. Should go very early in draft.

Vic Metro: -

5 – Daniel Tahlia – Good overhead mark (good contested marks); reads play well, one to watch.

6 - Andrew Gaff – Small mid. Uses the ball superbly, classy kick has nous, hard at it. Loves footy, relishes the contest.

14 - Jack Fitzpatrick – Started at FF; Rucked; played at CHB. Looks awkward but finds the ball; useful. Just not my cup of tea.

30 - Jake Carlisle - KPP prospect. tall forward. Physical and good finisher. 3 goals!

32 - Tom Scully – Wow. Looks professional; Elite runner; Top midfielder. Pace like you wouldn’t believe.

34 - Josh Toy - GC17. (Damn!)

South Australia: -

16 Luke Tapscott – Built to play AFL now. Solid unit. Good strong kick. KPF.

20 Jack Trengrove – Started on Scully. Mouth watering. Soon became obvious Scully was just way too quick. Caused Scully to go to bench to have seen his nose bleed. A couple of good kicks to Inside 50 early, but reasonably quiet I thought. He’s earlier games must be taken into consideration.

33 Matthew Panos – Didn’t see much of him, presented on occasions. Little bit of ball, prefer to see more.

39 Jack Hannath – Imposing figure, good leaping ruckman. Good overhead mark. An option for our second round pick perhaps.

Obviously all comments are what I’ve seen in today’s games alone at the ground. These are comments only and no players are ranked by me.

However, I like Scully and Trengove for midfielders with pace, skill & execution for our Dees if we obtain first 2 picks (one being the priority), and I’m liking Gary Rohan.

I would of loved to have got one of the 200 records they had available. But they’d all gone by 1:30pm on arrival. Just need someone to update me of the player’s name who wore #1 for WA. Please. ;)

Cheers

HT

Great summary mate. Was at Etihad today, and you were spot on with all of the descriptions.

Kicking was/is a worry with Naitanui too, but makes up for it with the X-factor. Just get that feeling that Morabito has potential that's yet to be tapped. Could be something special (could also be a flop...said the same thing about NicNat). Still can't split he and Trengove.

I really like Morabito, but with his skills and the role he plays, i find it hard to justify using a pick 2 on him, especially considering the footskills of our current midfielders. Different to Naitanui in that kicking skills aren't so much of an issue for a ruckman, but i understand your sentiment. In Morabito's particular role as a hard running midfielder, he'll be finding a lot of space and carrying the footy, so i'd really prefer someone with tried and true kicking skills. Morabito could definitely improve his kicking, and at times he can look quite good by foot, but i think it's a risk i'm not sure we can take (at pick 2). Would snap him up if we had another pick in the top 10. Unfortunately, he won't slip to our 3rd pick you'd think. Never know though, a lot of clubs might be scared off by his kicking, but 2nd round is unlikely.

Trengove was great in the first half, but did fade in the 2nd. I think, to go with his previous form, and the strength of his first half, he's still ahead for pick 2 for mine. Looks ready made, and his skills are superb.

Would love to take a tall with pick 2, but no-one really stood out to me. Was hoping Butcher would have a big one, but he was exceptionally poor. I'd be less harsh on him if he were ok or just mediocre, but he was poor.

Jake Carlisle's performance for the rest of the year at Calder Cannons will be interesting watching. Was really impressed today and hope he can shine for the rest of the year and kick big bags at Calder, really put his hand up. Butcher is out of calculations now, in my mind anyway. His 'fragile mindset' today on Luff wouldn't have impressed anyone.

If we draft Morabito ahead of Trengove I will be furious.

I have said this before but how many more players are we going to draft that can't kick?! I don't care how much X-factor he has. The single most important skill in our great game is kicking !!! X- factor is nothing but an unknown variable is it not? In context with footy it would be someone that could "potentially" break the game open yes? I'm not risking losing a player who is well rounded with a great kick to someone that is also well rounded but with an average kick and some "potential" X-factor. What makes people think Morabito has more "X-factor" than Trengove?! We have enough players with this "potential X-factor" on our list. (ie, Jurrah, Watts, Sylvia, Morton? probably a few others)

I don't want to draft another player who can't hit a team mate on his own 20 meters in the clear.

I want players, (mids in this case) , who will break the lines and hit targets 90 % of the time.

Trengove for #2 way ahead of Morabito for me.

Thanks guys for that great rundown.

Anyone want to speculate on Carlisle and perhaps him coming up the scale and perhaps being the KPF we need?

Am so disappointed re Butcher tho as I had the Scully/Butcher double has a given.

Scully is getting me excited already.. I am not at all religious but please God keep him safe.

Still can't split he and Trengove.

I agree wholeheartedly. There's a lot of groupthink that goes on in forums and I can't help think that the "Morabito can't kick" is caught up amongst it. He has class and poise personified, a great body, did some good clearance work at the centre bounces, takes the game on with excellent pace, is an excellent mark, and opitimises 'X factor'. The only query is his finishing skills, but from what I saw, he'll hurt the opposition nearly every time, but kick the odd floater.

I also wonder if those that are saying "we don't need another player that can't kick" have even seen him play live ? It's very hard to judge a footballer unless you've seen them in the flesh.

Trengove is probably the surer bet, but I can really see Morabito becoming a star. Trengove didn't do a lot, but his class, movement, toughness, skills, are all evident. They are very different footballers, but like you, I can't split them.

Christensen looked overweight and slow. Didn't impress me. Very small. No thanks.

Rohan did look very good. I'm not always enamoured with the lopey slightly raw type, but he can play.

I'd be very happy to draft Butcher, but there's no way he's a top 3 pick. He's a long way off and no guarantee of even making it in the AFL. He might become a Tippett type, but I don't believe you need to use a top 5 pick to get someone of his calibre.

All in all, I can see why it's a shallow draft. Not a lot to get excited about, unless you're at the pointy end of the draft - which, of course, we are. Scully plus one of Morabito or Trengove will do me.

Smaller crowd than last year at the Dome I thought.

Is it just me or does Marabito remind anyone of a Damien Cupido? seems to have a fair bit of lair, skills are not that great, appears very confident in his own self and on several occassions had the downhill skis on and was unwilling to move the other way when WA did not have the ball.

Scully is the standout!, the only thing I could fault is his footskills but in saying that they are good rather than very good so there is not much to be concerned with.

Pick 2 is going to be very difficult, Trengrove has lovely skills but did not seem to do enough, Lucas looked fairly good for WA. Maybe lets trade it for Patty Ryder?

I agree wholeheartedly. There's a lot of groupthink that goes on in forums and I can't help think that the "Morabito can't kick" is caught up amongst it. He has class and poise personified, a great body, did some good clearance work at the centre bounces, takes the game on with excellent pace, is an excellent mark, and opitimises 'X factor'. The only query is his finishing skills, but from what I saw, he'll hurt the opposition nearly every time, but kick the odd floater.

I also wonder if those that are saying "we don't need another player that can't kick" have even seen him play live ? It's very hard to judge a footballer unless you've seen them in the flesh.

Trengove is probably the surer bet, but I can really see Morabito becoming a star. Trengove didn't do a lot, but his class, movement, toughness, skills, are all evident. They are very different footballers, but like you, I can't split them.

Christensen looked overweight and slow. Didn't impress me. Very small. No thanks.

Rohan did look very good. I'm not always enamoured with the lopey slightly raw type, but he can play.

I'd be very happy to draft Butcher, but there's no way he's a top 3 pick. He's a long way off and no guarantee of even making it in the AFL. He might become a Tippett type, but I don't believe you need to use a top 5 pick to get someone of his calibre.

All in all, I can see why it's a shallow draft. Not a lot to get excited about, unless you're at the pointy end of the draft - which, of course, we are. Scully plus one of Morabito or Trengove will do me.

Smaller crowd than last year at the Dome I thought.

Definitely agree with Christensen, looked like an overweight TJ at 17yo. Only took the field for what seemed short bursts before another breather on the sidelines. They're hard to split after Scully, I can't separate Trengove, Morabito & Rohan :-

My TOP 5 at present: -

Scully

Trengove

Morabito

Rohan

Cunnington

Others close: -

Tapscott

Butcher

Lucas

Tahlia

Carlisle

Coyler*

Ah Chee

*A smoky for mine is T.Coyler (WA). Not sure if he is eligible for GC17, I'd rather hope he is eligible for the Draft.

Trengrove has lovely skills but did not seem to do enough

He has every other game.

Maybe he slid 10 spots because you thought he didn't do enough on your only viewing ? :lol:

*A smoky for mine is T.Coyler (WA). Not sure if he is eligible for GC17, I'd rather hope he is eligible for the Draft.

Looked good, but is he a little small - vanilla ?

What round would you put him ?

Draft falls short of tall prospects

just adding this link to Emma Quayles article in The Age. Note Butcher playing with a distinct niglle I would say. I rate Quayle for her observations and insight.

Thanks to those that attended and their insights too...very informative :)

Looked good, but is he a little small - vanilla ?

What round would you put him ?

Yeah, I know he is a little small however he makes up for it in close, the Captain of Country went to him in the second half. He gets dangerous going forward of the centre, breaks lines, skilful (handballing was very good). Thinking about it a little more - with some sides using there first picks for KP's in the first round, he might slip to second round. Depending who was available for our second round pick (18?), if he was available he would have to come under consideration, depending of course if we went two mids with the first two picks or not.

Yeah, i've seen him a couple of times and there's just the odd kick that goes astray, or isn't as perfect as you'd like.

But overall I think he's a decent kick.

And Jason McCartney is one man that would've seen all of these young guys more than any of us combined and he says Morabito has excellent footskills on both sides of the body.

I have to respect that opinion.

But the comparison to Cupido scares the sh%& out of me.

Still Trengove for mine, but I worry we'd be getting another Brock... that is without having seen much of him though

But the comparison to Cupido scares the sh%& out of me.

There is no comparison. Cupido was a lazy 184cm flanker, whilst Morabito is a line breaking 190cm midfielder.

interesting in a fashion that Trengoves worst game was actually when Scully was on him... wonder how theyd go together...not against ??? ;)

interesting in a fashion that Trengoves worst game was actually when Scully was on him... wonder how theyd go together...not against ??? ;)

They were only on each other for the first five or so minutes. When Scully went off and then returned they were on different opponents.

They would go together quite well.

They were only on each other for the first five or so minutes. When Scully went off and then returned they were on different opponents.

They would go together quite well.

thanks for update there

Scully is amazing. Good Pace, Very good Endurance and reasonably good foot skills without having sublime foot skills. Mclean,Sylvia,Scully in the centre bounce for round 1 of 2010. "Johnson gets first hand to it and taps it down to Mclean, Mclean quick hands to Sylvia who goes for a run, hands off to Scully who is nearing 50, Kicks it to the top of the square, Watts is behind them all, WILL HE FLY!!! you bet ya. Goes back and drills it. Melbourne start there 2010 season in style".

I think he's like an old fashioned Rover, in & under, burrowing in & extracting the pill. Then he's off, he's everywhere.

Trengove is a little more outside with skills to compliment. I think they pair up well.

Others I like are Lucas, Carey, Rohan, Morabito, Martin, Cunnington.

I think we need, when looking @ these guys for a possible 2nd pick, what our current midfield lacks. Foot speed & Elite kicking skills.

This should be a fundamental requirement of who we recruit. Any who doesn't have some breakaway speed just shouldn't be considered.

It's a team we're building & the ingredients are important to get right.

Talls. There WILL BE talls @ our 2nd Rnd pick. I liked Talia, Panos, last Friday.

Talls. There WILL BE talls @ our 2nd Rnd pick. I liked Talia, Panos, last Friday.

Cheers for the write up fellas.

A few questions.

No one's mentioned Trengove's pace so what is it like?

And do people think Talia will fall close to our 3rd pick? 195cm and got a massive pump up from Sheehan on SEN. KS said he played back back but is just as good up forward. Really likes the kid.

I saw Gary Rohan play for the Falcons against Sandy,who my nephew plays for and he's going to be a great pick up even though he's very raw still.

He's very quick and agile for his size and great below his knees.

I still say we take the best mid and best KPF.

Richmond took the 2 best mids (at the time)in Deledio and Tambling and Hawthorn took the 2 best KPF's.

Richmond should have taken the best mid,Deledio and best KPF,Roughead.

Buddy didn't have as good a carnival as Roughead.

You can't compare this draft with the 2004 draft because the key forwards in this draft are nowhere near as good as they were in 2004.

Btw Gary Rohan is a small forward/midfielder or plays like one.