Liam Jurrah

Roost It

I'm taking the week off to recover from the celebrations after his game!

I'm just wondering if Liam would prefer to be referred to officially by his Warlpiri skin name of "Jungarrayi" instead of by a name which it seems might have been imposed upon him by the society outside his own which has an appalling record in its dealings with the indigenous people of this country. I ask this respectfully and don't want to make a political football out of the issue but I'm curious as to whether Liam has a preference as to the name the football world should know him by on an official basis.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just wondering if Liam would prefer to be referred to officially by his Warlpiri skin name of "Jungarrayi" instead of by a name which it seems might have been imposed upon him by the society outside his own which has an appalling record in its dealings with the indigenous people of this country. I ask this respectfully and don't want to make a political football out of the issue but I'm curious as to whether Liam has a preference as to the name the football world should know him by on an official basis.

Good question. To be honest, Liam Jungarrayi Jurrah is a very laid back young man who is very relaxed about such things. Amongst his own mob he is referred to as both Liam and Jookaday (the slang version of Jungarrayi), and now at Melbourne most seem to call him LJ. So he's happy with either name. I believe the Age and possibly the Herald Sun will have articles about Melbourne's Warlpiri Warrior.

I'm taking the week off to recover from the celebrations after his game!

As I'll have just finished my exams on fri also, I'll see you at the bar!

Watts I was excited about, but this one... this just warms my heart.

Fair question. I am happy to call Liam whatever he wishes to be called. As an aboriginal person who grew up in the city, I can only wish I had a skin name. Unfortunately I don't share the same connection to the culture and customs that Liam obviously enjoys.

I will call, yell, scream, chant and cheer whatever he would like.

Good question. To be honest, Liam Jungarrayi Jurrah is a very laid back young man who is very relaxed about such things. Amongst his own mob he is referred to as both Liam and Jookaday (the slang version of Jungarrayi), and now at Melbourne most seem to call him LJ. So he's happy with either name. I believe the Age and possibly the Herald Sun will have articles about Melbourne's Warlpiri Warrior.

I personally would feel a little uncomfortable calling him by his slang name. I just dont think its our position to do so.

I think that Liam would be just fine. And of course the abundance of nick names that he will be given by the football loving community.

Rudeboy, thanks again. And please pass my best of luck wishes on to OUR 'Walpiri Warrior'.

GO DEES!!!

I have been looking forward to this game the most out of any, as many of my close friends do indeed support the scum.

Now, to have Watts and Jurrah in the same forwardline.......... i'm sorry.......... brain can't compute the excitement...........

when was the last time we had two young KP forwards to be excited about?

but i remember how excited we were about newton. lets make sure we dont turn on these two if they dont live up to expectations.

btw, does anyone think we can claim to have two number 1 draft pick forwards playing for us this week? as long as i don't specify which draft hey?

As an aside, it's rather ironic that Eddie McGuire will be doing the radio broadcast of Liam's debut game on SEN, given that Collingwood stuffed up big time in missing out on LJ.

wow i love how much you are getting into the bag collingwood spirit! even if you're from a long line of collingwood supporters, its clearly hard not to despise them when you go for melbourne.

out of interest, did collingwood just not rate him? or did they think he was too much work (with the resettling in melbourne etc)? ah well, they had their chance.

As an aside, it's rather ironic that Eddie McGuire will be doing the radio broadcast of Liam's debut game on SEN, given that Collingwood stuffed up big time in missing out on LJ.

haha yes definately, I'm sorry that he couldn't play for your team, would of been great for Liam too given that he would still get to wear the black and white (a reference to the Yuendumu Magpies of course.) Question... who did he barrack for as a kid? Was it Collingwood like everyone else at Yuendumu??? (that's the impression I got when I was there in '04 haha)

also, I have sent you an email (through Demonland) just checking that you recieved it...?

when was the last time we had two young KP forwards to be excited about?

but i remember how excited we were about newton. lets make sure we dont turn on these two if they dont live up to expectations.

btw, does anyone think we can claim to have two number 1 draft pick forwards playing for us this week? as long as i don't specify which draft hey?

Fine with me mate, ill be saying it aswell ;) just makes [censored] sound so much better 1 number one pics. lol

Really pleased for Liam and yourself RudeBoy. I cannot wait. I also have my fingers crossed for him and i am sure Liam will enjoy it.. Two number one picks - I hope we are all in for one hell of a ride from here on in.

WAHOOO!! I was going down the PUB on Friday night. NOT ANYMORE!

I am really looking forward to seeing LJ play.

Being an Aboriginal man who grew up in the NT and having been to and worked in Yuendumu I am so excited about this. I can just see friday night in the community Imparja TV blaring out of peoples houses and the shouts and screams of excitement when the games on. This is great for Liam, This is Great for MFC and it's an important event for Yuendumu.

CARN THE DEES!

Rudeboy, I could kiss you.

Bloody pumped, whatever happens, he has already succeeded, but I hope, and expect, that he won't see it that way and he strives for a successful career

Rudeboy, I could kiss you.

Bloody pumped, whatever happens, he has already succeeded, but I hope, and expect, that he won't see it that way and he strives for a successful career

I want a photo and medical report before I let anyone kiss me!

I want a photo and medical report before I let anyone kiss me!

You better watch out RB on Friday night - When he runs out and l'm sitting next to you.... :D

I/we in Yuendumu are bursting with pride. l can barely breathe! So much admiration for our beloved son. And as RB knows only too well, Liam is an even better bloke off the field than the footballer he is on it - And thats really saying something. Its not just about football skill, Liam making it this far. A true test of character, courage and desire. As well as our thousand thanks to RB, melbourne footy club have been terrific. Good on ya lads. :)

You better watch out RB on Friday night - When he runs out and l'm sitting next to you.... :D

I/we in Yuendumu are bursting with pride. l can barely breathe! So much admiration for our beloved son. And as RB knows only too well, Liam is an even better bloke off the field than the footballer he is on it - And thats really saying something. Its not just about football skill, Liam making it this far. A true test of character, courage and desire. As well as our thousand thanks to RB, melbourne footy club have been terrific. Good on ya lads. :)

So you should Japa.Its a great story. I hope he goes well and you enjoy the experience.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

This has me much more excited than the Watts debut. I know Watts will be a very good 10+ year player but with Jurrah who knows? I'm mighty impressed with the small amount of footy I've seen him play and I get the feeling that it's going to be a hell of a ride.

This is such a great story. Just reading these threads gives me a wild combination of emotions: tears of joy (literally), exitement, anticipation, gratitude to everyone who has supported LJ along the way, pride that my footy club has played an important part in it, etc, etc. Wow, imagine how LJ must be feeling ..... but something tells me he will take it all in his stride.