My 3 word player analysis V The Bullfrogs

joeboy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rojik of the Arctic
Some people on here are just lost. 25 touches at 95% effective Disposals for Grimes.

Terrible ain't it! Maybe we should delist him.

Mr Morton has it right. Some people are lost. The kid is a genuine find who will keep us MFC people very happy over the years.

well i for one isn't a big wrap for grimes kicking..his drop of the ball is awkward. Anyway, his overhead marking ability is fantastic, like cheney. in fact he is very similar to cheney i reckon. Also with Rivers, Frawley and Garland back. I think Grimes and Cheney will be made to look even better.

Think you might have observed the wrong player....in relation to his kicking.

I'm pretty sure Grimes was on Brad Johnson for a fair chunk of the game, but it's hard to judge from where I sit.

Grimes has played just 3 games, and has the composer of a veteran. Love him! :wub:

Dunn kills me. GO HARD OR [censored] OFF. Did some really good things, and then completely stuffed us up with his unwillingness to dive head first into contests.

And if only Whelan was 10 years younger and didn't have the body of a porcelain doll. He is awesome!

He composes.....bring on the 3 tenors!

*composure*

Bate - Your appraisal lacks class and smarts, he was very good today, kicked 4, set up at least 2 others.

Grimes - 25 touches, 96% effiency- say no more

True in terms of his game overall, but what CB is referring to Roost It - 'lacks class & smarts', is his brain fades at times. Last quarter he had the ball on the Olympic Stand pocket, shrugged off an opponent and bombed it in willy-nilly from 50m which went no where. He looked up to see what was on offer, which I think was Robbo (who after the kick, looked at Bate with dis-pleasure) and yet hedged his bets. He either goes for goal - which I don't think he did - or he honours his teammate, which I don't think he did either. It was a poor kick either way, and very poor in the context of the game.

I didn't realise he kicked four in the end, but he still lacked class and smarts.

He's been badly out of form since the PA game but I suggest you look at the replay. That was the best 16 posession game he has played.

dude, how the hell can you make comments on the game if you didn't even go? you posted at 4.44pm..the game finished at 4.45pm. bloody joke. your comments show that you have no idea about footy and didnt even go and support them by rocking up today. Here is my 3 word analysis from someone that actually went to the game:

Freak, the Demonland clock is way out. Have a look at the Demonland time, then have a look at your watch or your computer's clock. Right now Demonland tells me it's 10:58, when in actual fact it's 11:32. So you should add 34 minutes onto Joeboy's post (meaning he actually posted at 5:18pm)

Also, could people please lay off Joeboy. Sure, he made some wrong analyses, but the point of this thread is for him to give his views on each player in 3 words, and for others to do the same, thereby opening up discussion on the game.

Titan, if they're his views, I don't think you can say he made wrong analyses.

Opinion cannot be wrong, only facts

Yeah, fair point, but you get my drift, right? Just because he saw Grimes' game differently to most others, doesn't mean we should be slamming him for doing a crap job of a three-word analysis.

You really are dimwitted. Eade even tagged him with Eagleton after half time as they recognised he was carving them up.

morton 13 touches against 17 by eagleton after half time you call that tagging

well i for one isn't a big wrap for grimes kicking..his drop of the ball is awkward. Anyway, his overhead marking ability is fantastic, like cheney. in fact he is very similar to cheney i reckon. Also with Rivers, Frawley and Garland back. I think Grimes and Cheney will be made to look even better.

FB: Frawley Martin Garland

HB: Grimes Rivers Cheney

Impressive backline but Warnock would be stiff to miss out

morton 13 touches against 17 by eagleton after half time you call that tagging

Eagleton was switched on to Morton and helped nullify his influence whilst winning his own ball. Both players have an attacking mindset and Eagleton was the forward, so he wasn't going to play the Cameron Ling style shut down role, but force Morton to spaces that would limit his influence and make him as accountable as possible.

Come and stand at the footy with me next week and I'll give you a few pointers.

He composes.....bring on the 3 tenors!

*composure*

Oh dear :blink:

I was running out the door as I typed that... probably should have taken the time to read over it though. Oops!

In my defense, he is great at orchestrating the play. Yeah ok, I'm going now :lol:

Also wanted to add that Martin was so good today.

Killed his direct opponent and gave us some good drive out of the backline. Kicking is a bit iffy, but god he's got great skills for a giagantasorous!

His disposal is becoming a little bit of a worry.

He seems to be developing a Miller-esque (back in the day) compulsion to handball as option a, b and c. It's probably because he thinks someone else can use the ball better, but he won't develop any confidence in his kicking if he looks to handball at every single opportunity and it will become more of an issue.

He seems to be developing a Miller-esque (back in the day) compulsion to handball as option a, b and c. It's probably because he thinks someone else can use the ball better, but he won't develop any confidence in his kicking if he looks to handball at every single opportunity and it will become more of an issue.

Miller still does this. Watch him when he marks the ball - even if he's right inside the forward 50, he will go to handball it off.

It drives me insane that we have a 'forward' taking up a spot in the forward line who either wants to handball it off or cannot consistently kick straight.

It might sound a bit contradictory 'cos I'm frusturated that he goes to pass it off too often but then when he does have a go he quite often misses it, but I'm just at a bit of a loss with him 'cos I would love for him to get into some good form, as would we all.

What does Bailey/Miller/whoever need to do to help Miller restore some confidence?

Miller still does this. Watch him when he marks the ball - even if he's right inside the forward 50, he will go to handball it off.

It drives me insane that we have a 'forward' taking up a spot in the forward line who either wants to handball it off or cannot consistently kick straight.

It might sound a bit contradictory 'cos I'm frusturated that he goes to pass it off too often but then when he does have a go he quite often misses it, but I'm just at a bit of a loss with him 'cos I would love for him to get into some good form, as would we all.

What does Bailey/Miller/whoever need to do to help Miller restore some confidence?

I just don't understand how Miller can be low on confidence considering who he goes home to....

91% disposal efficiency...

Although we know these stats can be a bit iffy.

I have no issue with him handballing, because his kicking is not great. However I disagree with you that he looks to dish it off straight away. He is pretty composed under pressure and he even tried taking his opponent on a couple of times.

Obviously with experience, his confidence will grow.

I really enjoyed him playing further up the field and being released from FB. He even played on the wing for a brief period and I thought he didn't look at all out of his element.

He has a shitload of natural talent and the scope for improvement is huge. That they are experimenting with his position at the moment is great, because he can play a lot of different roles, and the more versatile he becomes the better.

I have no issue with him handballing, because his kicking is not great. However I disagree with you that he looks to dish it off straight away. He is pretty composed under pressure and he even tried taking his opponent on a couple of times.

I really enjoyed him playing further up the field and being released from FB. He even played on the wing for a brief period and I thought he didn't look at all out of his element.

He has a shitload of natural talent and the scope for improvement is huge. That they are experimenting with his position at the moment is great, because he can play a lot of different roles, and the more versatile he becomes the better.

I would think that our game plan revolves getting the pill in the hands of our best users in the back half(Davey, Morton), so therefore Stef is probably following instruction and immediately looking for one of these players as soon as he gets the ball. I've also noticed that Bartram has been doing this a little more too, which can only be a good thing if he is not putting ball to foot.

I remember one match early in a season (maybe pre-season) his kicking looked good and he even dobbed a nice goal from ~50 out near the boundary, a la Neitz at his best, and I thought he'd turn the corner.

I guess old habits die hard but I still think he's far better than he was a few years ago.

An 'efficient' disposal doesn't mean a player took the best option and doesn't take into account what occurs after the disposal

As far as I can tell, you can ignore a great option further afield and instead sell your teammates into trouble while still racking up an 'efficient' disposal.

I have no issue with him handballing, because his kicking is not great. However I disagree with you that he looks to dish it off straight away.

On more than one occassion his first instinct looked to be handballing the pill as opposed to simply 'best option' footy. I can think of a couple of examples off the top of my head.

There was a great example in the last quarter where Martin had the ball ~30 metres from the defensive goal when he was flat-footed, striking the typical textbook handball pose, keeping the pose while moving his front leg around in search of options. It ended up in a contested situation on the northern side of the ground and we may have lost the ball a couple of handballs later (although I'm not sure on this).

A similar desire to dish off by hand at all costs came in the third quarter, a little further out from the defensive 50 on the southern side of the ground.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if he's under instruction to dish off as first option, as Jerry Lundergard suggested, and is just trying to do the team thing, but he might be taking this a little far.

It won't just happen because he's 'pulled the jumper on' x times.

He'll get confidence from seeing a good option, taking that option and successfully executing the kick.

If he neglects to kick when he should, opponents will become aware of this and he'll feel more pressure when he is forced to kick.

I'm certainly not suggesting things are dire, but it's something I'll be interested to watch over the course of the season.

Grimes was very good IMO (Not sure what game Joe Boy was at?)

I felt that Melbourne lost the game rather than the Bulldogs won it.Melbourne's overuse of the handball and inexperienced decsion making was the difference for mine

I must admit that I was a bit perplexed with the media's view on Akermanis game.Yes, he was opportunistic and kicked 4 goals ,however I thought his defensive pressure was average at times and he seems a law unto himself in that he does what he wants most of the time and not always the team things.

I think there were many better players on the field than Akermanis,namely Morton,Moloney,Davey however the media got carried away because he kicked 4 goals (as did Bate).

Have a look at Waite yesterday. Maked on a lead about 45 metres out, then had the confidence to wheel around on his right and kick the goal. I too get frustrated when Miller leads, takes the mark, then spends the next 5 seconds looking backwards/sideways for a handpass, and only then does he finally turn around, by which time the opposition has moved into their defensive setting.

I've been impressed by Miller's leading and marking this year, but as a CHF he has got to have more confidence in his kicking, and absoultely needs to move the ball on quicker.