changes for round 8 v Doggies

beelzebub

We come to the G this weekend for a rare treat.. A Sat arvo game at home. A little bit of a shame its against a resurgent Bulldog outfit but as they say you can only play who turns up with who you have.

Thats brings us to this threads topic.. WHo will that be with forced outs likley in Rivers and Frawley Bailey and trusty team of selctors have their work cut out replacing two such valuable contributors. However encouraging and uplifting were the efforts of this weeks remaing 20 the team will need re-jigging.

I would have thought likely contenders would include Cheney and McNamara. These games whilst unfortunate for those outed with injuries can and often provide that foot in teh door or catalytic opportunity to propel others forward in their careers.

going to be an interesting game

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bet no one dares say bennell out this week, like nearly every other week

Yes with the standard "for a rest" line that makes no sense.

Cheney, McNamara would definately be chance.

Newton and Jetta are also both options and Whelan could be an outside chance.

probably more than some other weeks ,whilst the selection is obviously about the best 22 the doggies are a hard to to match up on. Aker finding form is either an absolute headache for us or a golden opportunity for a challenge. The dogs do have some loody good players who for what ever reason simply have een down for a month or so. How lovely of them to bounce back in time for us ..lol Cooney, Murphy, Gilee are trouble enough..but our fowards are going to have to be somewhat dynamic to not only be useful in their own right but to offer pressure to the likes of Giansiracusa and Cross.

Quite proably PJ will get a chance to reprise against Minson and Hudson.. but think we need to reconsider the 2nd ruck option. Maybe Spencer gets a run also.

Its a hard week to figure out I reckon..good luck Dean & Co

It seems quite obvious to say McNamara and Cheney in for Frawley and Rivers. The Dogs aren't a tall side, so we might get away with playing Martin as a 'second ruck' for another week. But if Spencer's fit then he might come into consideration, and might get a game over Cheney.

I was really happy with our running yesterday. The Bulldog forward line ain't much (Welsh in particular! although he carves us up occasionally) but as everyone knows, it's Cooney, Cross, Aker, Gilbee who come forward and kick their goals (Gilbee albeit deceptively and not often). They are quick and they are well drilled, and we are in good stead if we an continue to have Moloney doing well in the clearances, passing it off to Davey/Jones/Morton/Sylvia in the midfield. However, we will get smashed in the midfield. We are not polished or consistent enough and the rucks of the Bulldogs are very underrated (Minson and Hudson). We also have passengers in the midfield in McDonald and McLean, and unfortunately they will not be dropped, and this will add to the problem. Worse still, is that we don't actually have midfielders who can fill their spots.

We have lost two important backline players, and although they are not perfect fits, Cheney and or/Whelan will come in and Martin will go back and stay out of the ruck/floating role. Luckily we're playing the small Bulldogs. Our backline was good at the start of yesterday match, and it remains above average. It will hold up if our midfield breaks even, but I don't think our midfield will.

Our forward line looks much better with Robbo in it. He typically plays well against the Bulldogs. Miller is playing very well and works harder than anyone else. Maric looks good too. Unfortunately, as you can see from the Round 7 Squad, we have three forwards. Martin, Morton, Dunn and Bate were all in the forward 6; none played forward or troubled the scorers. We need another forward in.

Guys I would like dropped but we can't: Bate, McLean, McDonald (latter two for a rest)

Changes For Round 8:

Out: Frawley (inj,), Rivers (inj.), Dunn

In: Cheney, Whelan, Jetta

Adelaide went into the game with a crippled ruck team and got flogged by Hudson and Minson. I dont think we can afford to do likewise.

If Spencer is fit I would bring him in.

In: Cheney/ Whelan, Spencer.

Out: Rivers, Frawley

Dunn to play a role up back and see if he can actually make an impression in a position.

OUT: Frawley (inj), Rivers (inj), Dunn

IN: Cheney, McNamara, Whelan

I would be OK with that. Its not that Dunn has performed poorly, it is just that his role could be filled by someone younger and with more upside to his game. I often watch him and wonder how he is going to help us long term.

Bail could be a smokey to debut against the Dogs.

Dunn to play a role up back and see if he can actually make an impression in a position.

I thought they could try Bate down back to start the game. Running out of the back line and linking up with our midfield may give him the boost he needs to get back to the form he showed pre-Bailey.

I would be OK with that. Its not that Dunn has performed poorly, it is just that his role could be filled by someone younger and with more upside to his game. I often watch him and wonder how he is going to help us long term.

Bail could be a smokey to debut against the Dogs.

yep..Dunn's just this side of a Pension by all accounts !! :huh::rolleyes:

Bail might just be an interesting inclusion..probably one of the best games ( match wise ) to bring him in on. hmm..food for thought there. The team will need to be quite differently structured this week compared to last. Good opportunity for some

In: Cheney, McNamara, Spencer

Out: Rivers, Frawley, Dunn.

Unlike last week there's no "reason" for me wanting to drop Dunn other than the fact that I want all three of the others to get a run, and I'm not sure who else to drop. If Spencer doesn't come up, I'd leave it down to the two forced changes.

With the two key defenders injured, it's surely now time to see what Tom Mac has. By all accounts he should be able to play a role similar to that of Frawley. Like for like change, and I doubt there'll be a better opportunity than this one. He's out of contract at the end of the year and his form for Casey has been good -- now or never IMO.

Jetta hasn't played a game of footy for two weeks in a row now. I think the run at Casey won't hurt.

In: Cheney, McNamara, Spencer

Out: Rivers, Frawley, Dunn.

Unlike last week there's no "reason" for me wanting to drop Dunn other than the fact that I want all three of the others to get a run, and I'm not sure who else to drop. If Spencer doesn't come up, I'd leave it down to the two forced changes.

With the two key defenders injured, it's surely now time to see what Tom Mac has. By all accounts he should be able to play a role similar to that of Frawley. Like for like change, and I doubt there'll be a better opportunity than this one. He's out of contract at the end of the year and his form for Casey has been good -- now or never IMO.

Jetta hasn't played a game of footy for two weeks in a row now. I think the run at Casey won't hurt.

Don't quite understand that as Spencer would not have played for about a month. Have Martin to play on either Minson or Hudson when they go forward and PJ play around the ground.

Agree with the other two though, although Whelan may be a chance particularly with Rivers leadership in the back half gone.

Don't quite understand that as Spencer would not have played for about a month. Have Martin to play on either Minson or Hudson when they go forward and PJ play around the ground.

Fair point. I probably contradicted myself there after naming Spencer, then saying Jetta could do with a run for Casey after not playing for two weeks. :lol:

Upon reflection, I've changed my mind and I agree with you. Martin can play the role he played against West Coast -- basically follow Lynch in and out of the forward line / ruck. Do the same with Minson. PJ to ruck against Hudson. We'll no doubt get smashed in the ruck, but I don't think a non-match fit Spencer would really help that much anyway, and I doubt we're any hope of actually winning this match.

I'm not convinced on the benefits of bringing in Whelan yet either. It comes down to the match fitness point, I'm pretty sure he's only played one full game thus far this year.

In: Cheney, McNamara

Out: Frawley, Rivers

Upon reflection, I've changed my mind and I agree with you. Martin can play the role he played against West Coast -- basically follow Lynch in and out of the forward line / ruck. Do the same with Minson. PJ to ruck against Hudson. We'll no doubt get smashed in the ruck, but I don't think a non-match fit Spencer would really help that much anyway, and I doubt we're any hope of actually winning this match.

Agree. Though I'm not sure how good Martin is at actually rucking, he should beat Minson around the ground, especially when he pushes forward.

In: Cheney, McNamara

Out: Frawley, Rivers

Agreed.

I know you're not a Dunn fan, but in the absence of our 3 best tall defenders, I'd like to see what he can do in defence. He was thrown in there yesterday and did a reasonable job, let's see if he can develop that.

Wouldn't even mind giving Bate a game down back, given he played a defensive position as a junior.

Cheney deserves a call up, and McNamara should debut (perfect timing).

Out: Frawley & Rivers

In: Cheney & Newton.

Cheney has been named emergency for the past 2 weeks and that is usually a good sign as to how close senior selection is. The Bulldogs don't have a tall forward line so he will be useful down back.

Newton deserves another shot - its not like he doesn't get the ball. He just has problems with conversion which he will overcome. This releases Martin to take up a second ruck role and/or additional option down back.

IN: Bell, Spencer (McNamara), Whelan

OUT: Bartram, Frawley (inj), Rivers (inj)

Spencer I agree is an automatic inclusion if fit. If not I'd give McNamara a go. Bell will be a automatic inclusion to take the Bulldogs best medium size forward and I think it's time Whelan came back.

Bartram is unlucky as Dunn could be the best to be dropped but I do like having Dunn there as an option to go forward.

FB: Bell, Warnock, Whelan

HB: Bate, Martin, Bennell

C: Morton, Moloney, Davey

HF: Sylvia, Miller, Petterd

FF: Dunn, Robertson, Maric

Foll: Spencer, Bruce, McLean

Int: Grimes, Johnson, Jones, McDonald

Emerg: Bartram, McNamara, Newton