Matthew Pavlich

hillie

I'm sure the Dogs would love him, but to those suggesting a move there how do you propose they get him ? They'll be a top 4 side so won't have any decent draft picks to satisfy Freo, so who would they be prepared to give up that would genuinely cut the deal ? Adelaide and Port will probably be in the same boat, so returning to his home state will be exceedingly difficult.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the club believes we're a good chance of playing finals in the next 3 years, then yes I would take him.

He would be the difference between a bottom 8 and a top 4 finish.

Having said that, he doesn't seem like the right fit for us, and we are definitely not the right fit for him.

But he is a champion, and I actually hope he gets the hell out of Freo and goes to a club that will nourish him with success. Any club would be lucky to have him!

the only way we'd get him is to offer up a lot, and we're never going to do that... if he's sitting there in the PSD you'd take him, but that's it... Would we be willing to give up perhaps the next Pavlich for 10 years, to have the current one for four when we're not at our prime? I think not... He'll go to a club who struggle down forward a little but are close to a flag, like a Geelong or Western Bulldogs...

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Nup. By the sounds of it Watts should be that sort of player anyway and I'd rather us grab the best youth around while we can.

He'll go to the doggies.

Probably.

I would say he might be a sensible pickup in a year or two's time. Hall has played some really good footy post 30, and Pavlich is one of the least-injured, most-professional footballers around. For the right price, perhaps a single pick in the twenties, maybe late teens... He would be a good player to have teach Watts (Butcher, Juice?) and the others a thing or two about how to be prolific multiple goal-scorers. Juice is chock-full of talent (if not heart), and with a champion footballer like Pav around, it might be just the ticket.

The two big things would be not to undo all the good work we've done securing good talls in defence (ie, don't trade them). Also, not to give Freo too much in return for him.

They would want a first-rounder, we wouldn't want to give that up. And they love him over there.

If we're going to build around youth with a 3-5 year plan, why draft someone who is probably going to retire in 6-8 years? And by the end of his career, we all know he would have past his peak.

Too old. Shame though.

Freo should bite the bullet and get what they can for him.

Agree.

It will take a brave call from Freo but it would make sense to trade to a Club that sees itself in the flag zone within the next three years. North if it had the picks springs to mind.

He would be a good player to have teach Watts (Butcher, Juice?) and the others a thing or two about how to be prolific multiple goal-scorers. Juice is chock-full of talent (if not heart), and with a champion footballer like Pav around, it might be just the ticket.

Pavlich is a fantastic player no doubt, but I can't remember another forward performing alonside him. This concerns me and while it is a tough call to say that it is his fault I wouldn't be making a trade for him citing a "mentor" role as the main reason. By comparison someon like Brown or Neitz or even Buddy/Roughead (not sure which way this goes) actually make the team around them play better.

And you are kidding yourself about Juice, he might some day in the future be a player who deserves a spot on the list, but he is not "Chock-full" of talent or heart. If Pavlich did somehow find his way into a demon jumper it would probably be Newton's.

If we had picks 1 & 3 I would probably do a straight swap for pick 3, but only just and I doubt Freo would buy it anyway.

Probably end up on $1M a year at VISY.

I think Pavlich is the closest current AFL player to what Jack Watts will eventually become.

Any talk of him being a permanent CHF would be a waste of his prodigious talent.

I'm sure the Dogs would love him, but to those suggesting a move there how do you propose they get him ? They'll be a top 4 side so won't have any decent draft picks to satisfy Freo, so who would they be prepared to give up that would genuinely cut the deal ? Adelaide and Port will probably be in the same boat, so returning to his home state will be exceedingly difficult.

Speculating: The Bulldogs or Adelaide will have to give someone up in his early 20's, someone who can grow with the Freo list. Along with first round draft pick IMO. Josh Hill? Adelaide.....not sure

It will take a brave call from Freo but it would make sense to trade to a Club that sees itself in the flag zone within the next three years. North if it had the picks springs to mind.

Certainly North would want him if he came onto the market, but I don't think they're that close to a premiership. Assuming Pavlich chooses a club that he feels is a chance to get a flag, he'd be more likely to look at the Dogs or Adelaide I reckon. But he'd fit into North's side well.

Certainly North would want him if he came onto the market, but I don't think they're that close to a premiership. Assuming Pavlich chooses a club that he feels is a chance to get a flag, he'd be more likely to look at the Dogs or Adelaide I reckon. But he'd fit into North's side well.

You can bet your bottom dollar every side would be interested in him. he is in the top five players in the AFL and IMHO top 2 forwards (j brown) is the only guy I would currently chase before pav. Therefore minus those that have salery issues (carlt$n) every other club except bris/stk/Haw due to current forward setups would be interested in his services. He will be as hot an item as juddy was if he decideds to put himself on the market.

Speculating: The Bulldogs or Adelaide will have to give someone up in his early 20's, someone who can grow with the Freo list. Along with first round draft pick IMO. Josh Hill? Adelaide.....not sure

Let's say as a hypothetical the Dogs have pick 15.

You're suggesting perhaps Griffen and pick 15 ? It's getting close, but Griffen hasn't quite come on as expected and there are no certainties at pick 15 - just ask Lynden Dunn and Nick Smith. I doubt Freo would give up their Captain for that deal. And as a contracted player they hold the cards this year.

No deal.

I think the 'griffen deal' is not bad - it does fit with the age & stage of both clubs. Maybe freo would need more of a sweetner?

If I were Freo I'd hang on to him. They'll probably finish last this year and have a top two pick as well as another two selections at the end of round 1 at the draft table anyway. A lot can change between now and then but I don't think any other club will give up another decent early pick for Pav.

He provides them with leadership and experience and is a guy they can build a side around. Freo should focus on getting rid of dead wood duds like Headland, Tarrant etc to free up spots on their list and rebuild with youth via this draft. The wildcard in all this is GC17 if they offer up a top 10 pick in 2010 for Pav Freo should look at it but for now they should endure.

Does anyone else find it interesting that so many of the posts in this thread have called Fremantle "basket-case", "train wreck" etc etc? Supporters of many other AFL teams quite often use those sort of terms to describe the MFC. People in glass houses....

Does anyone else find it interesting that so many of the posts in this thread have called Fremantle "basket-case", "train wreck" etc etc? Supporters of many other AFL teams quite often use those sort of terms to describe the MFC. People in glass houses....

I agree. Yes they've been poor possibly worse than us but in reality neither of us have won a flag which is what counts. I don't want to laugh at other clubs because they are 'worse' than us - I want to take pride in my club being better than the rest.

Even with the strong personal connection to Melbourne with Connolly/Schwab, there is really no benefit for Pav or us.

If he was to leave Freo, then an Adelaide team would be a likely destination. What is certain though is that somewhere along the line he will be linked with Collingwood and will be sighted having coffee with Malthouse and Eddie somewhere on Chapel St.

And you are kidding yourself about Juice, he might some day in the future be a player who deserves a spot on the list, but he is not "Chock-full" of talent or heart. If Pavlich did somehow find his way into a demon jumper it would probably be Newton's.

No. Actually my brother and I went and saw Juice quite a bit during his days at Sandy. The kid has all the gifts a player needs to play at the highest level, and then some. Good kick, strong lead, huge leap, sticky hands, he likes the rough stuff and to chase, no matter what people say... His problem is, and has always and ONLY ever been in the head. It's definitely his attitude that is lacking. Lst week is a good example. Kick straight and you have a bag of 6. "Talentless" players don't kick 6 goals, not in this league. Put Miller's heart in Juice's body, and you'd have a player. Probably a player who wouldn't have gone as late in the draft as he did...

What I cling to hope for, with Juice, is that basically he grows up. I've seen a bunch of kids in all different walks of life look like they're going to waste their talent, and then, at the right time, they meet a mentor or father figure who turns them around and they take a sudden leap in their abilities, on whatever field the mentor guides them in. Often it's not a comfortable change, and I have a suspicion if Juice pulls his finger out it'll take a BIG whack over the back of the skull... but I believe it can be done. I first thought Bailey is the man, but then maybe he needs a leader on the field...

Just so you know, I don't hold out HUGE hope that he'll become a good player. Just that he'll earn a spot on the list until someone better comes along, and at best gain some trade value. It's not a grand ideal, and seems like accepting mediocrity, but I am just being realistic about what we can get given the time invested. Had we had a decent list Juice would be long gone. We are bereft of good KP forwards and I get the feeling on some level he's always known this. When we start coming good, if he doesn't continue to improve, he'll be gone, and it's no great loss. Trying a fourth round pick that's a KP player over the space of a few years is how the system works. No reason to cry over spilt milk. They can't ALL be Wayne Carey.