• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Juice Newton- Criticisms, Comments and Kudos

Biffinator

Things to consider:

1. Newton is 21 years old

2. Newton is 91 kg's, still very underdeveloped for a tall forward. He should be aiming for 96-98kg at least, so he is still 3-4 years away from hitting his optimal weight where he will reach his peak physically, also around the same time he should be maturing mentally.

3. Newton took 3 contested marks inside 50, compared to 1 contested mark for the whole team in round 1 (which was on the half back flank).

4. 'Newton is lazy' is a myth perpetrated by idiots on this site. He chases, tackles and bumps harder than any other tall forward in our side.

5. We have won every single match this year that Newton has played. "No Newton = No Melbourne".

Keep up the good work Juice.

Not sure it was perpetuated on this site it was a fact, he was dropped after 1 rnd last season and struggled to get back into the bottom side. That said the weekend was in my eyes clearly the best game he has played. As people pointed out already, contesting really well (hopefully he will be able to take some of those pack marks as he improves). He chased and put numerous pressures on the tiges backs, in one case causing a free kick which we goaled from. Tank needs to improve so does his kicking for goal. Light at the end of the tunnel hopefully.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how two people can watch the same game of AFL and come away with completely different impressions.

The impression that Newton gave me on the weekend was one that has become familiar: A new inmate at H-Block looking for a wall to push his arse up against.

One of the great mystery’s of footy is each individuals own perception of what is out in front of them, I love it. If you talk to other knowledgeable people about football you can see things differently than you normally would.

2nd comment is gold, do not agree though thought he was putting in and having a real go at it. He is keeping his feet better than in the past and working up the ground helping create more pressure on backs and mids when we don’t have the ball. It's only a week though....

Newton was excellent in marking contests (great kicks and blocking made it easy but no easy spills), pushed to the ball when necessary and ran out of steam by the final siren and this is a good sign. If in the past he seemed to not give his all, he seems to have reversed that. goal kicking not great but at least he was disappointed in that and accepted he must work on it. still a chance for the 22 even when robbo comes back if he puts in the hours off field from now til then.

great to see dunn spend some time around half forward too. loved the bomb from outside 50.

Just a preemptive word of advice. Better forwards than Newton have been towelled up by Bock and Rutten.

Give the kid at least one full injury free year in the seniors to prove himself. He hasn't had that yet.

The list is long and distinguished.

One of them is our highest paid player whos disposal continually loses us games of footy.

Another is a kid in what, his 10th game?

Be serious Dappa.

You're a clown. When was the last time Bruce "lost" us a game of football? He's continually in the best, won a B&F, and is one of our best players, whatever your pre-pubescent ramblings suggest.

Be serious? You first. If you can...

You're a clown. When was the last time Bruce "lost" us a game of football? He's continually in the best, won a B&F, and is one of our best players, whatever your pre-pubescent ramblings suggest.

Be serious? You first. If you can...

I just watched the Dees-Tigers replay.

Bruces last 6 minutes of the 2nd quarter was the worst patch of footy I have ever seen from an AFL player.

He single handedly let the Tigers back in it. Then Bailey benches him and we restore order.

Don t believe me? Go watch it for yourself.

Newton was excellent in marking contests (great kicks and blocking made it easy but no easy spills), pushed to the ball when necessary and ran out of steam by the final siren and this is a good sign. If in the past he seemed to not give his all, he seems to have reversed that. goal kicking not great but at least he was disappointed in that and accepted he must work on it. still a chance for the 22 even when robbo comes back if he puts in the hours off field from now til then.

great to see dunn spend some time around half forward too. loved the bomb from outside 50.

Also gave a hard contest that provided the spill for Jetta to kick his goal off the ground

j

Bruces last 6 minutes of the 2nd quarter was the worst patch of footy I have ever seen from an AFL player.

Would you like me to send you my 'Brent Grgic HighLowlights Package'? I taped it onto a couple of old 240 min VHS tapes using the Longplay recording function.

Certainly, a 2-year contract is far too many chances for what he has shown us so far.

Hazy, let's cut to the chase. 3 year deals are given to players you rate and want to keep long term. 2 year deals are given to young players (first, second and third year players) who've shown a bit and deserve further opporunities to develop or players in their mid to late 20's that are in their prime but may be close to sliding later in their contract deal. I don't buy the argument that Newton was gifted a 2 year deal simply because we have a dearth of key position forwards. Either you're good enough to play AFL or you're not. 1 year deals are given to players who the footy dept believe still have the potential to develop into a player but need to show something and show it quickly.

Newton wouldn't have been given a 2 year deal unless our coach rates him. If he was unsure, a 1 year deal would have been snapped up by Newton and given Bailey ample time to assess his ability. Surely no other club was willing to trade for him. So if Bailey rates Newton, how do you rate our coach?

What encourages about Newton is that there have been many full forwards who don't move like your average footballer.

And fullforwards are different from many of the other players going around. It's easy to dismiss Newton because he doesn't look like a footballer

or that he has a chip on his shoulder (that's a joke)

but I think of Simon Beasley (who I am not comparing Newton to ) or even our own (and West Coast's) Darren Bennett who were not good

with some skills of the game but were very valuable full forwards ( memory says Beasley kicked 100).

As Newton's confidence increases I think we will be very pleased with him.

Juice is definatley a player on the way up.. will he be an A Grader?? not sure.. but if he bulks up a bit and gets the run in his legs i wont hurt.. he certainly has the natural ability..

and if he does get his confidence up and fitness at the right level he is exciting enough to go and watch play.. everyone loves a high flyer..

look at jolly, he left before his prime and is now dominating and it is costing us. lets hope the M.F.C do put some time into him.

And big guys always take longer. Atleast when he gets the ball he doesnt look lost with it.. or unsure.. we just have to increase the workrate.

Juice is definatley a player on the way up.. will he be an A Grader?? not sure.. but if he bulks up a bit and gets the run in his legs i wont hurt.. he certainly has the natural ability..

and if he does get his confidence up and fitness at the right level he is exciting enough to go and watch play.. everyone loves a high flyer..

look at jolly, he left before his prime and is now dominating and it is costing us. lets hope the M.F.C do put some time into him.

And big guys always take longer. Atleast when he gets the ball he doesnt look lost with it.. or unsure.. we just have to increase the workrate.

Don't know Juice personally but know enough people around the club who do and many comment at his lack of determination and lack of maturity. He is spoilt and and does not take his role at the club seriously. It really grates me as we have some realy talent ready to step up and they put him in. Bugger the age factor he has had his chance to prove something but has pulled out the goods and is not consistent enough for me.

Lets hope robbo is back soon

Don't know Juice personally but know enough people around the club who do and many comment at his lack of determination and lack of maturity. He is spoilt and and does not take his role at the club seriously. It really grates me as we have some realy talent ready to step up and they put him in. Bugger the age factor he has had his chance to prove something but has pulled out the goods and is not consistent enough for me.

Lets hope robbo is back soon

I don't know Juice either, & i am not disputing what you have said about his percieved attitude around the Club. All i do know is when he missed that sitter up the punt road end he looked mighty upset at himself on the TV.

So maybe he is starting to appreciate what he is doing & how lucky he is. Time will tell.

I don't know Juice either, & i am not disputing what you have said about his percieved attitude around the Club. All i do know is when he missed that sitter up the punt road end he looked might upset at himself on the TV.

So maybe he is starting to appreciate what he is doing & how lucky he is. Time will tell.

lets hope so

* Mr Newton does not have much time up his sleeve....there is a young kid who played in the Casey 2's on the weekend who is looking for a spot in front of goal at the higher levels. Combined with a Koorie kid in the Casey 1's who only needs to acclimatise to the AFL.

* He was dragged in the final quarter as his direct opponent ran downfield to set up 2 consecutive Richmond goals.

* You don't run out of puff at FF unless you do as much work as Brad Miller.

His time remaining may well be measured in weeks. Was the 2 year contract just an insurance until Watts and Jurrah are available, or just that a player with a 2 year contract is tradeable at the end of year 1, instead of being lost without any compensation to the Club???

lets hope so

There is a lot more competition for his spot this year aswell. Which is why i want the team to keep focusing on winning rather than early Draft picks. If we end up with High Draft picks, take them but don't aspire to them. Make Juice earn his spot & he just might respect it, because he does possess natural ability.

* Mr Newton does not have much time up his sleeve....there is a young kid who played in the Casey 2's on the weekend who is looking for a spot in front of goal at the higher levels. Combined with a Koorie kid in the Casey 1's who only needs to acclimatise to the AFL.

* He was dragged in the final quarter as his direct opponent ran downfield to set up 2 consecutive Richmond goals.

His time remaining may well be measured in weeks. Was the 2 year contract just an insurance until Watts and Jurrah are available, or just that a player with a 2 year contract is tradeable at the end of year 1, instead of being lost without any compensation to the Club???

I agree. But after last sunday he deserves another run. Its great that other kids are wanting his spot as i said in my earlier post. Make Juice earn it.

2004 AFL draft pick 43.

As I have pointed out - he is older than Matthew Bate.

If you have the replay, check out the moment I metioned earlier where the ball sails over his head because he is too scared to run backwards to mark it (even though he has acres of space). From memory, it was a kick from Morton in the first quarter.

Too scared to run back to mark it?

So Newton positions himself beautifully at Centre Half Forward at the City end, Morton short passes the ball too high over his head and its Newton's error not a fairly basic skill error from Morton? A long kick that goes over your head you are a chance to be able to turn and run with the flight and mark it. A shot pass. Not very likely.

And running back with the flight of the ball with your eyes on the ball and taking the mark as Newton did at the Punt Road end is apparently not a sign of courage?

And yes he is all of ONE MONTH older than Bate.

Was he dragged or was this when he went off after spoiling McGuane on the half forward flank and wearing one in the contest?

Just that I don't recall him being 'dragged' as you state in the last quarter.

Newton wouldn't have been given a 2 year deal unless our coach rates him. If he was unsure, a 1 year deal would have been snapped up by Newton and given Bailey ample time to assess his ability. Surely no other club was willing to trade for him. So if Bailey rates Newton, how do you rate our coach?

I'm not going to get into an argument about Bailey in this thread, suffice to say that on this issue I think that a 2 year deal was the wrong option. Given that he was drafted in '04, I'm not surte that Newton counts as a first, second or third year player by the way.

Too scared to run back to mark it?

So Newton positions himself beautifully at Centre Half Forward at the City end, Morton short passes the ball too high over his head and its Newton's error not a fairly basic skill error from Morton? A long kick that goes over your head you are a chance to be able to turn and run with the flight and mark it. A shot pass. Not very likely.

And running back with the flight of the ball with your eyes on the ball and taking the mark as Newton did at the Punt Road end is apparently not a sign of courage?

And yes he is all of ONE MONTH older than Bate.

Morton's kick was not great, Newton did not try hard enough to make the most of it.

I assume the running-back-with-the-flight-of-the-ball mark that you are talking about is the one where he is facing away from the kicker and can see that "Bubba" the lifer is not standing behind him? It was a good mark but not really even contested. Certainly not worth the courage points of a conventional running backwards style flight-of-the-ball mark.

As is always the case with these things, it would be great to be proved wrong - he didn't do it last Sunday though.

I'm not going to get into an argument about Bailey in this thread, suffice to say that on this issue I think that a 2 year deal was the wrong option. Given that he was drafted in '04, I'm not surte that Newton counts as a first, second or third year player by the way.

I think that was the point I was trying to make, albeit badly. Newton was at a stage of his career where one of three things should have happened:

1. He was delisted because the club didn't rate him;

2. He was given a 2, 3 or 4 year contract because the club did rate him;

3. He was given a 1 year contract because the club needed more evidence but was unsure as to whether he could paly the game or not at the highest level.

I would have favoured 1 or 3. I was baffled by the 2 year contract. I've been impressed with Bailey but the Newton contract decision seemed a little odd.

Would you like me to send you my 'Brent Grgic HighLowlights Package'? I taped it onto a couple of old 240 min VHS tapes using the Longplay recording function.

If you really have any Grgic Highlights it is your duty to you tube them. watching him kick directly to opposition players is a past time that all generations should be able to enjoy.

It makes you appreciate what we have now!

Well measured posed questions. Good work GOTO.

If you really have any Grgic Highlights it is your duty to you tube them. watching him kick directly to opposition players is a past time that all generations should be able to enjoy.

It makes you appreciate what we have now!

We have a number of players that are doing that continually :P