• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Juice Newton- Criticisms, Comments and Kudos

Biffinator

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is Newton bashing purely for the sake of it. Credit where credit is due his performance today was a marked improvement on previous. His pressuring was as good as you will see from a key forward. He should have kicked 5 goals and even though he didn't we would not have won the game had he not played today as he offered a true target where previously we have not had one.

He probably will not make it but I am willing to encourage more such performances and hope he continues to improve with games and confidence rather than write him off. As long as she shows the endeavour he showed today.

Good call. I am not a big wrap for Juice but he has improved his forwardline pressure. He even moved up the ground a bit today when necessary. For a 1st up performance for the year I`d give him a pass mark today. He should have kicked 4 or 5 and if so many posters would be pumping his tyres up thats for sure!

In my mind, today Juice spent periods of the game showing exactly why we kept him on the list and at other times showing exactly why we should get rid of him.

HE HAS NO LONG TERM FUTURE AT MFC.

And someone please get him to cut his fu&%ing hair.

As long as she shows the endeavour he showed today.

Freudian slip? :lol::lol:

He has improved, no doubt, but it's been 5 years, so good on him for finally pulling the finger out.

However, most can acknowledge that he won't make it, so a pat on the back and thanks for playing. Next.

What a laughable thread. The guy did a great job today... with a little confidence in his game he could have had a bag today. Took good contested marks as well. Richardson was also missing lots of set shots at the other end - just another example of the serial bagging of our players by anonymous no-hopers.

Guest unstable punt
Newton being lazy = overperpetuated myth

personally l reckon he looked alright and the laziness is a myth, he puts in

This is Newton bashing purely for the sake of it. Credit where credit is due his performance today was a marked improvement on previous. His pressuring was as good as you will see from a key forward. He should have kicked 5 goals and even though he didn't we would not have won the game had he not played today as he offered a true target where previously we have not had one.

He probably will not make it but I am willing to encourage more such performances and hope he continues to improve with games and confidence rather than write him off. As long as she shows the endeavour he showed today.

Agreed with the player bashing comment.

I thought he worked hard, and if he had kicked straighter and took his chances, he would have had a very good game.

He will never be the dominant power forward we are all looking for..............but he can still play an important role for the team and club when the opportunities arise.

Not every player can be a champion! Doesn't mean they haven't made it, or they are failures.........damn, I'd be happy to make it onto an AFL list!

He's the player you either love or hate. There's a big mouth in the members who week in, week out kept shouting very loud at Bailey "where's Newton?" till one of the MCC attendants kicked him out. He wasn't there today to critique his favourite player's performance.

I thought Newton was important to today's win, he provided a target up forward.

BTW is hitting the post 4 times in a row (different Melb players) some kind of a record??? (I remember Miller, Newton & Davey I think. Who was the other?)

He's the player you either love or hate. There's a big mouth in the members who week in, week out kept shouting very loud at Bailey "where's Newton?" till one of the MCC attendants kicked him out. He wasn't there today to critique his favourite player's performance.

I thought Newton was important to today's win, he provided a target up forward.

BTW is hitting the post 4 times in a row (different Melb players) some kind of a record??? (I remember Miller, Newton & Davey I think. Who was the other?)

I know two of them were Moloney (snap shot) and Jetta from the set shot.

So the four posters in a row were Miller, Newton, Moloney & Jetta (in that order??)

Gotta be some kind of a record (they had one too during this spell).

I love that we can barely hit a target by hand or by foot, but we manage to hit the post FOUR bloody times in a row. Amazing :rolleyes:

Newtons best game for the club today by a long shot. 12 disposals, 7 contested possessions, 6 marks (3 contested), 4 tackles (5th best in the team), and kicked 2.4., two 1%ers (whatever they are) and 1 goal assist. As well as two inside 50s.

Won a free kick by chasing down a player. Chased hard all day, offering very good forward pressure. Anyone who disagrees with that is simply rehashing old grudges.

Yes, his kicking was off. But seriously, our only other forward is Brad Miller, and his kicking isnt his strong point either, at least juice has shts at goal.

What I was most dissapointed with were some of his leading efforts. I thought he failed to lead hard when heading back towards the square (ie ran hard out, when the player still hadn't kicked the ball he needed to lead just as hard back towards goal). I think he needs to double his workrate when looking for leads.

Anyone who says Newton is lazy has me rather puzzled.

We know he has a good leap, good pace, can take a speccy and that he works hard defensively - yes we know that he works hard defensively. He showed all of those traits today. His challenge is to do the regulation lead/mark/goal or outbody/mark/goal more often. To do the simple well. Certainly his bigger stronger body should assist with this. He does need to work on his kcking to improve his conversion rate. Quite simply he is our best bet at Full Forward and if he keep applying himself like he did today then I believe he is every chance of having a long career.

He may have kicked 2.4 today but he had a hand in a number of other goals such as his handball to Davey who then goaled or the pack he crashed which resulted in ball spilling to Jetta who goaled.

In my mind, today Juice spent periods of the game showing exactly why we kept him on the list and at other times showing exactly why we should get rid of him.

HE HAS NO LONG TERM FUTURE AT MFC.

And someone please get him to cut his fu&%ing hair.

what a pathetic contribution!

After round 1 I argued that the team needed Newton to straighten up the forward line. I pointed out that the new rule banning deliberate rushing of points put an absolute premium on someone who can provide a contest in or near the goal square. [amazingly some of you were arguing that Bate could do that} The result today just proves the argument. Newton didn't kick a goal in the 2nd quarter yet his contibition was still important. The mid-fielders could kick to the square if they couldn't find a target. And we kicked 8 goals, many from this method.His 3rd quarter was great [i agree that once he made an ineffectual attempt to tackle] But he was a constant threat, kicked 2, including the long set shot at the start of the quarter, and gave off a marvellous hand pass leading to Davey's goal. He's a seriously talented mark and MUST be given an extended run I think.

Incidentally I like Bate as a half forward, but,heavens. he's right out of form isn't he? One kick I believe?

The guy is a dud. Fools gold if ever I've seen one.

The only reason he got a game is because the comedy festival is on.....what a joke. He simply is not up to it. PERIOD. Take off your eye patches.

As so many have already said, pointless bashing of a player who in reality had a pretty good game. I only saw the second half, but he took some good marks, made a contest when outnumbered and aside from kicking a couple himself did well to create goals for other players. He may not be gold, but he's becoming a reasonable performer and giving us a presence in our forward line.

I also note with interest that his accuracy is being used as an excuse for much bagging. How is it then that Miller is listed as among our best when his kicking was every bit as bad?

Personally, I was thrilled with his performance today and hope that he gets the chance to improve on it in the next few weeks.

I think the most exciting aspect of his game for me was his contested marking, and how he read the ball in the air... These aspects of his game hadn't really been shown at AFL level... But he took some great marks running back with the flight, and 1 on 1 with his opponent...

i think juice could potentially solve alot of our problems, the only thing in our list that doesnt need fixing is looking like the back line. Forward line, along with watts needs another big kpp, and the mid needs one classy and i mean very classy inside mid and a freakish out side mid that can win his own ball when need be (dal santo). if we manage to get those picks 1 and 2 or 1 and 3 and juice has come good, that desperate need for a kpp will be almost solved and those two early picks would go to scully and another highly rated mid, suddenly alot of gaps could be filled, plus those late first round picks could be used on a kpp, which would still be a fairly high pick.

watts chf, juice ff, jurra fp, benell fp, robbo hff, sylvia hff quite a damaging foward line.

then a midfield of brock, jones and beamer feeding out to blease morton, strauss this scully kid and the other high pick, and wow we have quite the side.

I think the most exciting aspect of his game for me was his contested marking, and how he read the ball in the air... These aspects of his game hadn't really been shown at AFL level... But he took some great marks running back with the flight, and 1 on 1 with his opponent...

I remember him taking one mark running with the flight of the ball facing the direction it was travelling. It was a pretty good mark but it was uncontested.

I also remember him at one stage running back with the flight of the ball facing the kicker (Morton?) only to have the ball sail over his head. I suspect that he is a good judge of the ball in the air so what am I to make of his tentative and cramped backwards strides?

He was given plenty of opportunities today and he created none of them. He was weak and sometimes didn't even bother to raise both of his arms when "contesting" a mark. I remember him lying on the ground in the foetal position for long minutes around the forward flank after some negligilbe-looking contact. Perhaps he took a decent knock and was winded, it does happen. But he could have sprinted for the bench and he still would not have got off that ground quick enough for me.

Having said all that, it was probably his best performance so far. Make of that what you will.

edit: P.S. Thank you BRAD MILLER for yet another inspirational 100% effort.

I remember him taking one mark running with the flight of the ball facing the direction it was travelling. It was a pretty good mark but it was uncontested.

I also remember him at one stage running back with the flight of the ball facing the kicker (Morton?) only to have the ball sail over his head. I suspect that he is a good judge of the ball in the air so what am I to make of his tentative and cramped backwards strides?

He was given plenty of opportunities today and he created none of them. He was weak and sometimes didn't even bother to raise both of his arms when "contesting" a mark. I remember him lying on the ground in the foetal position for long minutes around the forward flank after some negligilbe-looking contact. Perhaps he took a decent knock and was winded, it does happen. But he could have sprinted for the bench and he still would not have got off that ground quick enough for me.

You sound like you expect him to be the next Matthew Richardson... We know Juice definately has his limits, but he showed signs today he will become the player we hope he could be... All you've done is point out every little mistake he made today...

edit: P.S. Thank you BRAD MILLER for yet another inspirational 100% effort.

Did you ever think perhaps with Juice holding down full forward it allowed Miller to get up the ground more, resulting in him playing a great game?

You sound like you expect him to be the next Matthew Richardson... We know Juice definately has his limits, but he showed signs today he will become the player we hope he could be... All you've done is point out every little mistake he made today...

No, I expect him to be a couldabeen who gets bought the odd beer on the basis of one mark taken 2 years ago. I have seen enough of him to know that he is not even a Jack Riewolt or Mitch Morton let alone a Richo. The "signs" today were familiar.

Did you ever think perhaps with Juice holding down full forward it allowed Miller to get up the ground more, resulting in him playing a great game?

Hold down Full Forward? I would be surprised if he could hold down his lunch on the ghost train.