Family Day 2009

olgreydingo

For those that couldn’t make it. It was the best Family day, at least for the last few years.

The gates at Luna Park were a little late opening (9.30), and it was slow going to get in. There would have been approx 1000 people at the start, but don’t quote me I’m not great at estimates.

If you were there to try the free rides you would have been disappointed as the queue for every line was huge. If anyone got in 3 rides from opening to 11am you were lucky.

Anyway I wasn’t there for that.

The crowd was far bigger than last year, (I said LY 2000 but the club said 4000).

I personally saw most players, and all coaches and most staff.

I spoke to Rivers, Wheatly, Marric, Jetta, Baily, Williams, Connley, Watts, and Scwab, as well as a few staff.

I asked all when is the MFC likely to have a 100 goal kicker, amongst a few other questions.

Most didn’t realise we have need had a century goal kicker. But most said look out for Watts (Except Watts of course). Every player and staff said watch this kid, he is going to be something special.

He is a great kid. He seemed to have his two feet on the ground.

I also spoke to the member’s tent, and estimates say approx 1000 to 1500 new members today. A great result!

I really couldn’t give a real count of the crowd but I recon double what “I” saw last year.

All in all great value, the show bag was fantastic value for $5. And the merchandise was also good. They sold out of a all old footy jumpers.

Anyway Great job Jimmy and crew.

Go Dee’s

P.S Club Eddies family day was going on only a few KM’s down the road, and I know a few (incognito) spys came for the free rides, as there day had very little entertainment, and said ours was better!

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
For those that couldn’t make it. It was the best Family day, at least for the last few years.

The gates at Luna Park were a little late opening (9.30), and it was slow going to get in. There would have been approx 1000 people at the start, but don’t quote me I’m not great at estimates.

If you were there to try the free rides you would have been disappointed as the queue for every line was huge. If anyone got in 3 rides from opening to 11am you were lucky.

Anyway I wasn’t there for that.

The crowd was far bigger than last year, (I said LY 2000 but the club said 4000).

I personally saw most players, and all coaches and most staff.

I spoke to Rivers, Wheatly, Marric, Jetta, Baily, Williams, Connley, Watts, and Scwab, as well as a few staff.

I asked all when is the MFC likely to have a 100 goal kicker, amongst a few other questions.

Most didn’t realise we have need had a century goal kicker. But most said look out for Watts (Except Watts of course). Every player and staff said watch this kid, he is going to be something special.

He is a great kid. He seemed to have his two feet on the ground.

I also spoke to the member’s tent, and estimates say approx 1000 to 1500 new members today. A great result!

I really couldn’t give a real count of the crowd but I recon double what “I” saw last year.

All in all great value, the show bag was fantastic value for $5. And the merchandise was also good. They sold out of a all old footy jumpers.

Anyway Great job Jimmy and crew.

Go Dee’s

P.S Club Eddies family day was going on only a few KM’s down the road, and I know a few (incognito) spys came for the free rides, as there day had very little entertainment, and said ours was better!

1500 members,thats a fantastic effort,go demons.

The Club should be congratulated for player/supporter interactive day that got the kids along.

Got there at 9.30 with my kids and they enjoy speaking with the players who mingled and yes we did get three rides in up to 11am.

From where I could see throughout the day the members tent and merchandise tents were doing great guns.

The player presentation was extremely well attended. DB was in good form introducing the players. When he got to No 12 he jokingly chided that Colin Sylvia for being late. When Brock McLean presented himself with a bald head, DB commented there's a head only a mother would love. Well done.

Best line of the day came from in the crowd who commented on seeing the stationery tram they have in the Luna Park grounds that "I didnt know Ricky Nixon was here today".

Seemed very well attended. Hard to fault.

The Club should be congratulated for the initiative. Many of the crowd flowed on later to the Juntion Oval

Also attended with my kids. Got some rides in before 11am also. I must say, it was well organised and well attended I thought. Players scattered all over Luna Park for autograph hunters. Robbie Flower was kept busy - probably had the longest queue at one stage after the presentation of jumpers to players. You couldn't move at that time when DB was announcing them onto the stage (in particular between the stage and the tram).

Geez, Chooka's new look will get some discussion in the weeks ahead. Different.

Must say, all the boys obliged happily for photo's and autographs with my kids. J.Rivers*, J.Mac, B.Milller, A. Wonaemirri, B.Moloney, C.Bruce and even C.Sylvia and J.Spencer were first class. (I'm sure all the players were).

After lining up for some autographs, the rides for the kids soon took priority, but it was a great morning (day). Well done mfc.

* = top bloke.

edit: - intersetingly DB emphasised when 'Juice' took the stage, of Juice's performances of late, that he expects to see more of that on a consistent basis for the teams sake. (Words of...to the effect)

Can't beleive I forgot about this, remembered when I walked round the corner from my house to get the paper and saw an abundance of people in Melbourne gear, took a while to click, then looked at the time and it was too late.

Good to hear the reports are nothing but positive

It's my lot in life to miss these, Last year I had just broken my pelvis, this year I have been sick and have a aching tooth to top it all off :)

I hope we did sign 1000 members up and glad it was a good day.

Hopefully I'll make next years.

We must have been the only ones completely underwhelmed. From standing in a queue for 20 minutes to get in, whilst some [censored] waltzed to the milling front, to the shambolic ticketing system to get on a ride. My wife and kids waited in a queue for the ghost train for 45 minutes, the ride was over in 30 seconds and the most boring thing they've been on. They waited in another queue and when the clock struck 11am they were told that that was it and they'd have to go and buy a ticket, even though they'd been waiting for 15 minutes. Later on there was no-one at the dodgum (?) cars, but of course they had to buy a ticket by now, except the queue to get a ticket for a ride no-one was using was 100 metres long.

The area around the jumper presentation was also too small. And then the music from a speaker started before the presentation was over drowning out the Coach.

The venue was just too small for so many people. I only go to support the club, so I was pleased to see it packed. I don't go to chat with players or officials, or to get autographs, so if that's your bent you probably had a good time.

I wouldn't go back to Luna Park.

Really good day.

Big pat on the back to the players. My 7yo boy got his first lot of player signatures over his jumper and on every occasion the players would make a point

of asking how he was enjoying the day and what rides he had been on, with a smile on their face. Impressed me and no doubt set the foundations for my

boy supporting this great club for the rest of his life. Well done fellas!

The venue was just too small for so many people. I only go to support the club, so I was pleased to see it packed. I don't go to chat with players or officials, or to get autographs, so if that's your bent you probably had a good time.

I went with my son and were focussed on the rides. We did the ghost train and dodgems and then there was a half hour queue for scenic railway. If you weren't on the ball then you can clearly spend times in queues. This is no different to other "free" or sponsored sessions at Luna Park.

I note that the did not have the Spider or G Force rides working during the free period which was a relief as I did not relish the thought of being spun like a Westinghouse spin dry cycle.

He was not so worried about collecting autographs or mixing with with the players aside from lining a couple of them up in the dodgems.

The jumper presentation area was tight but it was too hard for a kid to see so we did not bother too long with that for too long

After going to the Junction Oval the previous years, this was a better arrangement as far as atmosphere. At the cricket later on at Junction Oval, that venue looks like an out of date timepiece. Pity about the weather, because watching Shield cricket there is alot more intimate than at a sparcely populated coleseum.

However, despite its history and cultural identity to St Kilda, Luna Park is pretty ordinary.

Membership as of this morning 23,367

We must have been the only ones completely underwhelmed.

You went to the fun park and didn't have fun? Not even a bit of fairy floss, the smell of hot dogs, daggy fun park music and the sounds of screaming people on the ghost train made could get you into the spirit of it?

You went to the fun park and didn't have fun? Not even a bit of fairy floss, the smell of hot dogs, daggy fun park music and the sounds of screaming people on the ghost train made could get you into the spirit of it?

No

Stkilda had some sort of day as well i saw a quick highlight of on the news. I would say we had 10 to 20 times more people for our media shots and theirs looked empty. Well done to all for marketing, venue etc!

1000 memberships in a day is great. I wonder how many new members for the weekend in total as nearly all the crowd at casey was MFC.

No

I'll give you a hint. Next time you go there, have a few beers first.

Luna Park is amazing when you're a little tipsy (unless you become paranoid when drunk, in which case the clown face will probably freak you out)... or so I've heard :unsure::lol:

Luna Park is amazing when you're a little tipsy

Good advice.

I can (vaguely) remember an epic night there in the early 90s.

Monash Uni Windsurfers Ball: Bands & Barrels.

I have no idea who the bands were, I didn't see any barrels either but there were refrigerated trailers full of cans strategically placed around the landscape.

Luna Park is amazing when you're a little tipsy (unless you become paranoid when drunk, in which case the clown face will probably freak you out)... or so I've heard :unsure::lol:

Paranoid when drunk? You sure you weren't talking to Mr. Bong before you went Jaded? :lol:

This was the first club function I have been to outside of game day events. I agree with the comments that Luna Park was cramped but I guess not a bad choice to encourage kids to attend. Given that the Junction Oval had the Sheffield Shield final on, and Casey is a big hike for most folks, it seemed a reasonable choice.

I took my 9 year old boy in person and my 16 year old girl in spirit but she gave me explicit instructions to get Robbo's signature on her jumper. My son enjoyed it, even queuing to get autographs. Not happy that a few people jumped queues but that was a minor irritation. Robbo and Jamar were on the photo stand, $2 for a polaroid with them and was fantastic value, especially considering what I had heard about Richmond's family day a few months ago. There were plenty of players everywhere, all happy to give autographs or pose for pictures. Brock's shiny head was a shocker, but will give his opponents one more thing to worry about.