CAMPAIGN'S END

Demonland

CAMPAIGN'S END by Whispering Jack

Melbourne finished off its 2009 pre season campaign on a disappointing note when it failed to score in the appalling conditions that prevailed in the last quarter of its NAB Challenge against the Bulldogs at Casey Fields yesterday. The word "apalling" may not be entirely appropriate because what appeared to be the arrival of Cyclone Hamish direct from Cairns did herald an end to the state's bushfires. Unfortunately, it also put paid to any chance Melbourne had of winning this game. The Western Bulldogs had the advantage of cyclonic conditions and kicked 5.6 for the term to storm home by 38 points but the result was in no way indicative of how the game was played.

For the first three quarters the Demons took it right up to last year's beaten preliminary finalists who fielded virtually a full squad while the Melbourne was without injured players Paul Johnson, Jack Grimes, Russell Robertson, Paul Wheatley, Austin Wonaemirri, Mark Jamar and Matthew Whelan as well as the suspended Colin Sylvia. It lost Ricky Petterd (corked hip), Daniel Bell (broken thumb) and Aaron Davey (bruised heel) at various stages during the course of the game.

That is not making excuses but rather stating fact although I'm not sure whether any of the individuals who were out could have made a difference. The circumstances did however, make a mockery of the result and the 38 point blow out.

It was an even first half in which the highly skilled Bulldogs dominated for the first ten minutes before Melbourne settled down and played some good, positive team football. The Western Bulldogs then started getting on top during the third quarter before a two goal Brad Green inspired comeback got Melbourne to within two points at the final break. I sensed that the Demons were going to be hard put to win anyway in the face of a more precise and skilful opponent but the changed conditions which gave the Doggies a distinct wind advantage made it a certainty. It's ironic that we've experienced such a severe drought and yet the team has had to brave such shocking conditions for two weeks in a row. In the end, it must have had an effect on the legs.

The point however, is that last year Melbourne might have held its own for one quarter and been beaten for three quarters in a game like that but yesterday, the team was more than competitive for three quarters. I think that's a significant factor when looking at the season to come. They are not going to be world beaters but they will win more than their three games of 2008.

As in previous weeks, the obvious improvement came from the defence. Colin Garland continues to shine and he is well backed up by Matthew Warnock, Stef Martin, James Frawley, Kyle Cheney, Clint Bartram and Jamie Bennell. This group probably averages no more than a dozen AFL games but they are moulding into a strong, compact hard working defensive unit. It's exactly what you need to launch a campaign to get your team off the deck. The addition of Jared Rivers who got through a full game for the first time in eons will be an important added bonus.

I was really impressed with Bennell's first half. He has poise, skill and a natural football brain. But defenders also must keep their opponents in check as the slightest amount of latitude given to an opponent at this level can be deadly. I think he might have learned that lesson yesterday.

The midfield performed reasonably well for the first three quarters. Brock McLean (who looked like an alien with his shaven head), James McDonald, Nathan Jones and Brent Moloney worked hard to get an advantage in the clearances but they still need to improve on their awareness and disposal skills coming out of the packs. Against this level of opposition, turnovers will always hurt you and unfortunately, the Demons had a few too many unforced turnovers in this area.

Cale Morton, Daniel Bell, Cameron Bruce and Lynden Dunn all added support without being spectacular but like most of the team, went missing in the deluge (at least Bell had an excuse - he was off the ground injured!). Simon Buckley gave this division the benefit of some added run and will be an important player in 2009 while Green played a superb game both in the midfield and in attack.

Jake Spencer was beaten by a strong Bulldog ruck combination but he worked hard and made Hudson and Minson earn their keep. He can only improve and looks set to lead the Demon rucks into the first third of the season. John Meesen tried but is not up to this standard.

The attacking division remains problematic. Brad Miller cost the team a certain goal with his tantrum after Kyle Cheney had been awarded a fifty metre penalty. Miller remonstrated long and hard until the decision was reversed and then added insult to injury by giving away another fifty. This altered the tempo of the play at a time when the Demons were challenging to take the ascendency and Miller went missing for the rest of the game. I have no problem with flying the flag but this just wasn't smart at all. Matthew Bate had an off day. Michael Newton had his moments and was good but only in patches. At times he ran hard and chased hard and did well in conditions that would not have suited him. At other times, he seemed uninterested and didn't attack the ball hard enough. Admittedly, he was starved of opportunities after half time and the delivery to the forward line wasn't all that flash but he has a lot of work to do if he wants to become an AFL regular.

Ricky Petterd played a lot out of the forward line and was probably the most impressive of the forwards until he injured his hip. Hopefully, it really is only a corked hip and he doesn't miss games. Neville Jetta is a great competitor and is looking good for a round one debut given the uncertainty about Aussie and Aaron Davey.

Thankfully, the players have a well needed week's break before we get into the real stuff but there will be no rest for coach Dean Bailey. He hasn't managed to cover all of his team's deficiencies from 2008 during the off season (not that this was ever a possibility) and will have another tough assignment in 2009.

Bailey's main problem again looks to be in the forward line where many of the deficiencies lie. I suspect he will have to make a decision very soon on whether to conscript Brad Green into this area because there simply doesn't enough goalkicking power up there in his absence.

Melbourne 2.1.13 7.3.45 10.3.63 10.3.63

Western Bulldogs 2.7.19 5.10.40 9.11.65 14.17.101

Goals

Melbourne Green 3 Miller Jetta Newton Davey McLean McDonald Jones

Western Bulldogs Hill 3 Johnson 2 Higgins 2 Griffin 2 Akermanis Hahn Harbrow Cross Ward

Best

Melbourne Green, Jones, McDonald, Jetta, Buckley, Garland

Western Bulldogs Cross, Gilbee, Griffin, Hill, Boyd, Higgins

Injuries

Melbourne Petterd (corked hip), Bell (suspected broken thumb), Davey (bruised heel)

Western Bulldogs Nil

Reports Clint Bartram for making front on contact with Daniel Giansiracusa in the fourth quarter

Umpires Kennedy, Mollison, Stewart

Crowd 2,500 (approx) at Casey Fields

Many thanks Jack for another insightful and balanced piece. Being an 'interstater' and therefore unable to get to many games (and form my own opinions), I have grown to really value your views.

Many thanks Jack for another insightful and balanced piece. Being an 'interstater' and therefore unable to get to many games (and form my own opinions), I have grown to really value your views.

I'll second that, cheers Jack :) !!!

Great report WJ and up to your usual high standard, although I think you were a bit too "diplomatic" as far as Newton is concerned.

Yesterday was my first trip out to Casey and I was very impressed with the facility. The playing surface is incredibly good and I understand the amenities will be improved with a more stands and a state of the art gym soon. I was also impressed at the number who turned up on such an atrocious day, including the locals. This really is a good move in my view. Spoke to some of the "locals" who had a couple of digs re Range Rovers and snow trips, but they are mostly positive toward the MFC. The only down side was the car park and the time it took to get out. Reminded me of the old Waverley days, in similar weather conditions. Hopefully this aspect will improve over time.

Now, FWIW, here are just a few of my observations of the game. As WJ said, for the most part, we were very competitive, but in my view, we had to rely on the "usual" suspects. Green was excellent, Jones never stopped trying, Aaron Davey, was at times, his silky best and I really like the way he gets involved in directing "traffic". Cam Bruce and Junior did a few nice things.

Our backline was generally solid with Warnock and Garland outstanding. Stef Martin seemed a bit off, but it was great to see Rivers put in a full game. He knows how to read the play very well and he just oozes natural talent. We need him to stand up this year. To me, Chooka and Beamer seem very underdone, although Chook did some really nice things early on. His second quarter was excellent.

As WJ said, we just don't have a forward line. We rely on our more creative "smalls" to steal goals and we just don't hold the ball in very well at all. It amazes me, accepting our disposal still has a long way to go, that opposition sides find space constantly against us, and rebound out of their backline with such ease and then cut a swathe through us, right up the guts. If we are as fit as claimed, I cannot understand how we can't at least run into space off our half back line and also split sides open up the middle. Perhaps the answer is, we just don't have any viable forward targets at present and we just hold on to the ball far too long, in the absence of such a target.

Now back to Newton. He was incredibly disappointing. He seems totally disinterested, has no fire in the belly and at one point, I saw him pull out of a contest. Even coming to the bench, there appears to be no emotion there and he does not seem to interact very well with the other guys.

Buckley continues to have a go and can't be faulted there, but his decision making is terrible. He holds on to the ball far too long and does not dish off on the first and best option. He caused a number of terrible turnovers in the middle which costs us, when we should have been running rampant into our forward line. Similarly, Bell's decision making is about as slow as paint drying. He was caught with the pill several times, deep in the Bullies forward line.

On the up side, I really like Spencer. He looks like a ruckman and a footballer. He is still a little light and gets pushed off the contest a little too easily, but he's as keen as mustard and has a real crack. We just need to forget about Meesen. As WJ said, he is not up to this level.

Both Jetta and Bennell have that x factor that so many indigenous players have. With more experience under their belts, they will be very good for us in years to come, if we can keep them.

Bate and Dunn had off days, although good to see Lynden has beefed up a bit

We missed PJ and Grimes, but yesterday was a reality check. We will be more competitive this year, but we still have a long way to go.

Just as well they have the rest next week.

It amazes me, accepting our disposal still has a long way to go, that opposition sides find space constantly against us, and rebound out of their backline with such ease and then cut a swathe through us, right up the guts. If we are as fit as claimed, I cannot understand how we can’t at least run into space off our half back line and also split sides open up the middle. Perhaps the answer is, we just don’t have any viable forward targets at present and we just hold on to the ball far too long, in the absence of such a target.

Bullies forward line.

Great reports WJ and IWS.

In regards to our absence of forward targets, part of the problem lies with the fact that none of ours mids push forward of the ball when we gain possession in the backline or midfield. Players with big engines, like Bruce and Morton, should be given free rein to push forward and give us more forward options. Currently, our forwards are generally outnumbered by 2, hence the opposition are able to rebound with ease.

THe other problem mo is that our mids are not good enough to win the ball reliably and get in to the players forward of the contest. WE're too exposed.

THe other problem mo is that our mids are not good enough to win the ball reliably and get in to the players forward of the contest. WE're too exposed.

Garbage. In 2006, McLean, McDonald, Moloney, and Jones were all capable of getting the ball to front running mids like Johnstone, Yze and Bruce. Our game plan's changed, and it doesn't allow this option.

Great reports WJ and IWS.

In regards to our absence of forward targets, part of the problem lies with the fact that none of ours mids push forward of the ball when we gain possession in the backline or midfield. Players with big engines, like Bruce and Morton, should be given free rein to push forward and give us more forward options. Currently, our forwards are generally outnumbered by 2, hence the opposition are able to rebound with ease.

Hawthorn did that to us in the first round and we've been exposed in this area ever since. Because we don't have a strong marking forward, the vultures sit back on the ground and simply move their way forward in zones. We don't seem to allow such players as Bruce and Morton or indeed any of our mids to go forward, help out and either kick the goals or assist in them.

As WJ said, we just don't have a forward line. We rely on our more creative "smalls" to steal goals and we just don't hold the ball in very well at all.

Don't disagree, however look at the Dogs goalkickers, do you notice anything? Same with most teams, except Hawthorn.

Don't disagree, however look at the Dogs goalkickers, do you notice anything? Same with most teams, except Hawthorn.

Understand your point Redleg. Small fowards can cause a lot of damage. The Bullies yesterday kicked to and found a target regularly. They found a lot of space, their midfielders penetrated our defences like we were a sieve on occasions and held the ball in their forward line. We were completely the opposite.

Don't forget, the Bulldogs had 31 scoring shots to our 13. Had it been a dry day, things could have been very ugly indeed.

Garbage. In 2006, McLean, McDonald, Moloney, and Jones were all capable of getting the ball to front running mids like Johnstone, Yze and Bruce. Our game plan's changed, and it doesn't allow this option.

Sorry Mo, I think you are wrong. Time after time the dogs beat us yesterday in the midfield: they stood up longer, handed off quicker, ran off better. Our mids are not up to this level. Same against sydney, if you saw that. They got blokes forward of the ball and it worked for them (that said, it fails as soon as you lose the contest).

As for it working in 2006, well, it simply did not. If you remember, Bruce was a leading clearance player, Johnson played last half of quarters mostly and yze played inside the forward line predominantly. We did not hand off well to outsiders, what we did was kick quickly and long. WE also played more tempo footy that year, so we kicked backwards and wide a fair bit. Totally different game plan - much slower and we'd be killed by the zones teams now employ

Though, given the keen student of the game that you are, you'd know that.

Hey, here's a tip Mo - and even better it is for free: try not blaming dean bailey for everything. It may mean that you have to think before you write somethhng, but even that has its upside - we'll here from you less.

...........Though, given the keen student of the game that you are, you'd know that.

Hey, here's a tip Mo - and even better it is for free: try not blaming dean bailey for everything. It may mean that you have to think before you write somethhng, but even that has its upside - we'll here from you less. .............

No need for that. This is a forum after all. We may disagree in rigorous debate, but the amount of sledging i have experienced on this forum, in my view, is just not on.

Footy is a passionate sport - no doubt - but can we at least stop eating our own?

Go Dees

We do really lack someone that can run and carry the ball, our best option is Buckley at the moment but as stated he gets a little to carried away with this and makes wrong decisions. Hopefully the two guys we took ay pick 17/19 last year will be the outside quality that we need. Bruce and Morton are good in space and work hard to present but they don't have that explosive speed to burst away from the contest. Our other midfielders are more in and under this is why having Davey and for now Buckley in the midfield is vital to our team. We need to get speed around the contest so when Mclean, Mcdonald, Jones, Moloney, Bell win the footy the have someone to give it to.

We do really lack someone that can run and carry the ball, our best option is Buckley at the moment but as stated he gets a little to carried away with this and makes wrong decisions. Hopefully the two guys we took ay pick 17/19 last year will be the outside quality that we need. Bruce and Morton are good in space and work hard to present but they don't have that explosive speed to burst away from the contest. Our other midfielders are more in and under this is why having Davey and for now Buckley in the midfield is vital to our team. We need to get speed around the contest so when Mclean, Mcdonald, Jones, Moloney, Bell win the footy the have someone to give it to.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Blease develops, the kid can win his own ball but also has great pace and is a good kick. Soem of his moves in the u/18's were simply awesome

Don't forget, the Bulldogs had 31 scoring shots to our 13. Had it been a dry day, things could have been very ugly indeed.

Skilful sides are better in the wet, so I don't think that is generally the case. It's a myth that the rain brings a poorer team closer to it's opposition it creates a greater divide cause their ball handling is so much better.

Skilful sides are better in the wet, so I don't think that is generally the case. It's a myth that the rain brings a poorer team closer to it's opposition it creates a greater divide cause their ball handling is so much better.

Disagree.

Skilful sides are better in the dry than they are in the wet because the wet makes ball handling, footing and tackling so much more difficult to execute.

Its a matter of the extent of the characteristics that define a skilful side being nullified by wet weather. On the other hand, an unskillful side which does not share the extent of those skills of the skilful side not being as adversely affected as their opponent.

Its not a matter of bringing a poorer team close to its opposition. Its a matter of bringing the skillful sides skill level done to its weaker opposition.

However, there are a number of factors to be considered when going into a game but the presence of abundantly wet conditions provides an opportunity for one side actually or psychologically to feel like they have more competitive chance against another team, particularly a fast running side that relies on slick ball handling.

Not sure if anyone else noticed but After brads hissy fit that cost a certain goal he was dragged and went straight to the phone. He did not go missing he was sent into the backline and Green came up forward for nearly the rest of the game. He did try but not being a defender showed. Im not talking him up or down I have just read he has gone missing and thats it. I just wanted to let everyone know what happened

Not sure if anyone else noticed but After brads hissy fit that cost a certain goal he was dragged and went straight to the phone. He did not go missing he was sent into the backline and Green came up forward for nearly the rest of the game. He did try but not being a defender showed. Im not talking him up or down I have just read he has gone missing and thats it. I just wanted to let everyone know what happened

I think in the context of the article "went missing" meant that he had no further influence on the game rather than that he was last seen drowning in the bog of the carpark at Casey Fields.

I agree.