Lay off Jones!!!

btdemon

My gut feeling is that in a few years time, Jones will mature both physically and mentally, making him much harder to tag out of a game.  He will also hopefully be our third or fourth best midfielder instead of our #1, meaning the opposition wont be able to afford him the same kind of attention they did last year.  He'll be a fearsome player as a result, and alot of the people criticizing him now will be singing his praises.

Fantastic, insightful post.

We could just about close this thread now.

Guest JACKtheRIPPER

jones gets alot of the ball, they need to teach him how to flick the handpass quickly like greg williams, but obviously he needs players running past him to receive it,he to slow to take them on, when he masters that he will be more than a handy player.

I have never seen a worse player than jones. Neitz i hated to death and all you diehard fans loved him but jones stinks. Please realise he is a great VFL 2nds player not afl. [censored] [censored] [censored]...

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

I have never seen a worse player than jones. Neitz i hated to death and all you diehard fans loved him but jones stinks. Please realise he is a great VFL 2nds player not afl. [censored] [censored] [censored]...

Not taking your meds again occo? Best you have some Bex and a nice lie down.

???????

Is that a joke occo?

Can the expletives be edited off????

And I'm with those wondering where this came from. Haven't heard any Jones bashing in ages.

I reckon that Jones could be a pretty handy AFL player especially if he stays inside and doesn't try to be the reciever where oppositions players that are faster than he is just run around him (at under 18 level he had a huge amount of handball recieves) . He's still got improvement in him because he only just turned 21 and I think he will have a pretty good year this year (though I havn't seen any of the preseason so far).

For me the question is if Melbourne can have Moloney, Jones, Mclean and possibly Valenti all in the same team. The first 3 were recruited at a time when we were considered skilled but too soft in the midfield. So first effectively first round draft choices in 2003, 2004 and 2005 were used to draft these types of players so it was obviously a priority. Perhaps the balance has gone the other way now..

I'm pretty keen on the idea of getting players that have a good all round game if possible.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the season and watching Jones and the other younger guys running around.

Hopefully we'll belt the swans and Jetta, Grimes, Jones, Morton, Bartram, Dunn, Bate, Strause, Petterd, Frawley, Cheney and Spencer all give use a bit of hope for the future.

• 3 years later...

My gut feeling is that in a few years time, Jones will mature both physically and mentally, making him much harder to tag out of a game. He will also hopefully be our third or fourth best midfielder instead of our #1, meaning the opposition wont be able to afford him the same kind of attention they did last year. He'll be a fearsome player as a result, and alot of the people criticizing him now will be singing his praises.

Bump.

I was trawling through some old posts about Jones and came across the above - it's a small snippet of a post by a poster named two sheds jackson.

I didn't know the guy but he was great value on here and had 299 posts that many of us wished could be more. He wrote eloquently about his cancer here: http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16543-cancer/

2SJ passed away in 2011.

But the eternity of the internet allows us to know a little bit of a great person and you should read that OP in the above link.

• Like 9

Bump.

I was trawling through some old posts about Jones and came across the above - it's a small snippet of a post by a poster named two sheds jackson.

I didn't know the guy but he was great value on here and had 299 posts that many of us wished could be more. He wrote eloquently about his cancer here: http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16543-cancer/

2SJ passed away in 2011.

But the eternity of the internet allows us to know a little bit of a great person and you should read that OP in the above link.

a good man 2 sheds. Wise to. A man who also knew where to find the best comedy.

Bump.

I didn't know the guy but he was great value on here and had 299 posts that many of us wished could be more. He wrote eloquently about his cancer here: http://demonland.com...c/16543-cancer/

2SJ passed away in 2011.

Incredibly heart-wrenching. I can't believe I haven't seen that thread before. He was spot on about Jones. RIP mate.

I've been reminded of two things from this thread and have one question:

- two sheds was an excellent poster who had a way with words. RIP

- occo was an horrendous poster. Definitely don't miss him.

- what ever happened to Rojik of the Arctic? Definitely one of the more curious usernames I've ever seen. Edit: oh, he was banned for something. Never mind.

I've been reminded of two things from this thread and have one question:

- two sheds was an excellent poster who had a way with words. RIP

- occo was an horrendous poster. Definitely don't miss him.

- what ever happened to Rojik of the Arctic? Definitely one of the more curious usernames I've ever seen. Edit: oh, he was banned for something. Never mind.

lol

On BF isn't he?

BH?

Thanks for bringing this up rpfc. Two sheds was certainly a valuable contributor to the site and his words about Nathan Jones so prophetic.

I also didn't realise what an idiot occo was. A few weeks after he posted that garbage about Jones, occo was banned from the site for 12 months for a totally unrelated indiscretion. I thought at the time that 12 months was a tough stretch but as I recall, no remorse was shown at the time. Now, 3½ years on, I think it was the right decision.

In any event, this thread highlights the good, the bad and the ugly of the Internet and two sheds Jackson was definitely a good one.

People on these sites are so fickle. Yes, Jones had a mediocre year in '08. He was recognised by the opposition as our main midfield ball winner and tagged mercilessly. Think back to that game against Freo where we came back from 51 points down (I have this recorded and watch every few weeks). Crowley was almost carnal in his close attention. The fact is that Jones had a cr*p year in '08 and this year he will be back. He is one of our most desperate hard at it ball winners and you can't teach this instinct. There'll come a time when you are all singing his praises again. Mark my words!

who's critical of Jones? did you have a bad dream?