Major Sponsor

iv'a worn smith

"The club is confident there will be a major backer, or a combination of backers before the home-and-away season starts" - Mark Stevens in the HUN.

Must hope now that Demonster was right and there is as much or more in this as Mission deal offered.

Time this uncertainty ended.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The club is confident there will be a major backer, or a combination of backers before the home-and-away season starts" - Mark Stevens in the HUN.

Must hope now that Demonster was right and there is as much or more in this as Mission deal offered.

Unfortunately, the uncertainty is unlikely to end soon. Greg Denham, who seems to always have some inside knowledge on what's happening at the MFC, told Kevin Bartlett this morning that he believed that the club was still a way off announcing any sponsor.

The club is dropping more [censored] than a person with diarrhoea...

For weeks now the club has promised that they are close to finding a sponsor...yet constantly failing to deliver. Perhaps we should find a puppet company to sign up, or should that be muppet company? Either way, thats whats running...or should that be ruining...a once great club.

What should they be saying, Deebest? That we're stuffed and we should all walk away now - because that is the position you seem to be espousing. Let's face it, 'honest' disclosure is going to get us pity but no sponsor. So let's here your ideas.

What should they be saying, Deebest? That we're stuffed and we should all walk away now - because that is the position you seem to be espousing. Let's face it, 'honest' disclosure is going to get us pity but no sponsor. So let's here your ideas.

Everyone knows the club is chasing a sponsor, but I just think playing these games and saying we are close to signing one etc is actually more detrimental in the long run.

Supporters are being given false hope, the club looks stupid because we've been "close to signing a sponsor" for three months now.

What has the club done publicly to push for a sponsor? Why not show you're desperate for one? Why not be creative in the media and do something where you are on the front foot, rather than back paddling up the river with a lot of rubbish about us just missing out on a sponsor and being close to finding one?

Richmond had Sportsbet lined up, the AFL knocked it back...so Richmond were proactive and went after a betting agency who the AFL would allow to sponsor an AFL team (Luxbet).

If I was a prospective sponsor, aren't you alienating these people by constantly telling the media that you're close to making an annoucement? If the club said "we are miles off finding a sponsor" as opposed to "we've nearly got a deal done and will be hopeful of tidying the deal up next week"...well I reckon we'd have more interest if the club were honest about it.

Everybody just needs to be patient and give the club a go!

We do not know what work they are putting into luring a major sponsor but I am sure they are working very hard at it. They hav'nt got the drawing power like the other clubs have thanks partially to the AFL. They are Liberals and don't help our cause. Rotten draw and limited tv coverage.

The rich get richer and the poorer get poorer. Thats the AFL's motto! They have helped to an extent with funding but at the end of the day they want one less VIC team. It is just a disguise to push us out without being so obvious!

Richmond were not creative. They swapped one for another that was virtually identical. As for us being creative, well, frankly I'd have no idea how to do that - sadly not my strength. I'm not sure appearing helpless is the way to do it, either.

A company is hardly going to be put off by hearing that we are 'close' to signing a sponser...I'd hope that the message would be seen for what it is by everybody - which is a sign that nothing's been put to bed and that intersting offers would be seriosuly considered and pretty quick too.

I do not see how saying something that says nothing can be seen as saying something.

Richmond were not creative. They swapped one for another that was virtually identical.

They were creative because as soon as the AFL vetoed their arrangement with Sportsbet, they picked up the phone and sured up a deal with Luxbet. Within days. If only it were that easy for everyone.

Maybe you're right, but in that case perhaps the club would be best saying NOTHING on the sponsor issue, rather than pretending we're close to a deal. You've only got to see those sad photos in todays paper with no sponsors logo on them to realise we're still on the market.

I know 1 legend of the MFC football club that would disagree with those comment - Ron Barassi 2009 AGM

With all due respect to the great man, i just don't think our club can survive with that philosophy, i think the important thing to remember that although it is a business it's also a sporting club with a lot of emotional attachments.

The fact is that if we were purely a business, we'd probably be dead by now.

So I am living in a dream world, according to some, big deal I wont lose any sleep over that.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion so I can live with it, by the way which statement of mine was dreaming.

Increased membership [possible]? More MCC money [announced] ? lower salary cap [ also announced ] less interest payments ?

Yes you MUST be right as they are all figments of my own brand of dreamtime.

Some posters on this site must be over the moon sticking pins in their little Jimmy dolls, heavenly bliss.

And finally for the record I cant remember the 50s footy as I didnt barrack for the Dees until 1971.

Born in 1950, chose the Dees, didnt inherit the team from my family, and still happy I picked the mighty Dees.

ONE TOWN ONE TEAM ONE DREAM

What has the club done publicly to push for a sponsor? Why not show you're desperate for one? Why not be creative in the media and do something where you are on the front foot, rather than back paddling up the river with a lot of rubbish about us just missing out on a sponsor and being close to finding one?

If I was a prospective sponsor, aren't you alienating these people by constantly telling the media that you're close to making an annoucement? If the club said "we are miles off finding a sponsor" as opposed to "we've nearly got a deal done and will be hopeful of tidying the deal up next week"...well I reckon we'd have more interest if the club were honest about it.

It's only forum junkies that are [censored] themselves about our sponsor situation. It's obviously not ideal, but publicly begging is hardly the way to go, or in any way cut a half decent deal. The club doesn't need to pander to emotional wankers on here. Being publicly desperate is hardly the way to land corporate deals.

And when are they "constantly telling the media that we're close to making an announcement" ? Because they showed some confidence when asked a quesion on the matter yesterday ? As a supporter I don't feel fooled, or that I've been regularly misled.

Your bile is becoming tiresome.

The club doesn't need to pander to emotional wankers on here. Being publicly desperate is hardly the way to land corporate deals.

That is the best reply that I have read on this subject!!!!

hahahaha well done H, perfectly put. That's fantastic.

I second & third that.

If we were to call out a plea for a sponsor, we would get dicked, do you really think there is no one that wants to sponsor us? I am sure we have had many offers, but nothing thats we would consider fair. Look at the soccer for example. They get stuff all TV coverage, well free to air, and they are all sposored, even the pissant ones. Not to mention the NBL, do you know anyone thats a member of an NBL team? If it was such a panic then we would have one by now and been stiffed for it.

Word is from an insider at Mission Foods – MFC had the sponsorship deal over the line and in fact had a heads of agreement with all key details agreed on ($, terms etc).

The MFC corporate department had worked very hard and had built up an excellent rapport with the company. Schwab decided that the deal could be better and tried to re-negotiate the details of the Heads of Agreement into the final agreement. Mission said – “hang on – this is a deal we have already agreed to”. Not surprisingly they developed significant reservations and subsequently looked to see what alternatives there might be. The Bulldogs swooped and the rest is history…

As far a I'm aware, thats old news...

Agreed. We cant bring up everything we have missed out on in the past

It's only forum junkies that are [censored] themselves about our sponsor situation. It's obviously not ideal, but publicly begging is hardly the way to go, or in any way cut a half decent deal. The club doesn't need to pander to emotional wankers on here. Being publicly desperate is hardly the way to land corporate deals.

And when are they "constantly telling the media that we're close to making an announcement" ? Because they showed some confidence when asked a quesion on the matter yesterday ? As a supporter I don't feel fooled, or that I've been regularly misled.

Your bile is becoming tiresome.

What a great reply! :lol:

FDD

Latest rumour is that MFC will shortly announce not one but two major sponsors. Neither will be kicking in the top dollars but the combined total will exceed the sum of most single major sponsors.

That would be Great, & what i was Quietly Hoping might Happen. Fingers Crossed.

I have just noticed that the mfc megastore now has for sale some of the 2009 Reebok range without sponsor logos. The training tops have been on there for a while but now media polo's and a few others are on there. I would have thought if we were close to landing a sponsor we would have held this back so we could sell these with sponsor logos.

I have just noticed that the mfc megastore now has for sale some of the 2009 Reebok range without sponsor logos. The training tops have been on there for a while but now media polo's and a few others are on there. I would have thought if we were close to landing a sponsor we would have held this back so we could sell these with sponsor logos.

These days It would not take much to have them added at a later date. better to be on the shelves potentially earning money then held back and offering nothing. Fair point to make though if a major is just around the corner.