Major Sponsor

iv'a worn smith

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. I'm being realistic. Hawthorn was where we are now three years ago and they've provided value for their sponsors. We can do the same.

Incidentally, we have the official youngest list.

I don't think Hawthorn were ever in as bad a shape as us. Even their worst season wasn't us bad as our 2008 and they were never on the verge of folding like we were when Stynes took over. A lot of people don't understand how close we came to not being anymore.

Also, they never really struggled so badly to get a sponsor like we are now. If we start the season without a sponsor, we'll be closer to non-existence than we were last year. Every team goes through a bad streak. Some teams have good onfield years, but bad off-field ones.

We didn't have bad onfield and off-field years. We had TERRIBLY, SHOCKING, UGLY AND TREMENDOUSLY BAD off-field and on-field years. The 500k loss should have been 3.5 Mil if not for the donations.

So yes, you need a reality check. You're being far from realistic. To say Hawthorn were in as bad a shape 3 years ago as we are in now is as far away from being realistic as anyone can be. Even less realistic than the special effects 60s Godzilla flick.

We are very close on the sponsorship front. The club is being very innovative, and when locked and loaded supporters will be impressed. Total package better than what Footscray got with Mission Foods.

I'll believe it when I see it.

We are very close on the sponsorship front. The club is being very innovative, and when locked and loaded supporters will be impressed. Total package better than what Footscray got with Mission Foods.

And your source is................?

You'd better be right pal, or there'll be a lynch mob after you.

Hang on a minute, there's a pig flying by my window just now.... well I'll be! :huh:

I don't think Hawthorn were ever in as bad a shape as us. Even their worst season wasn't us bad as our 2008 and they were never on the verge of folding like we were when Stynes took over. A lot of people don't understand how close we came to not being anymore.

Also, they never really struggled so badly to get a sponsor like we are now. If we start the season without a sponsor, we'll be closer to non-existence than we were last year. Every team goes through a bad streak. Some teams have good onfield years, but bad off-field ones.

We didn't have bad onfield and off-field years. We had TERRIBLY, SHOCKING, UGLY AND TREMENDOUSLY BAD off-field and on-field years. The 500k loss should have been 3.5 Mil if not for the donations.

So yes, you need a reality check. You're being far from realistic. To say Hawthorn were in as bad a shape 3 years ago as we are in now is as far away from being realistic as anyone can be. Even less realistic than the special effects 60s Godzilla flick.

Hawthorn in my opinion cheated. They offloaded Jonathan Hay to the kangas for 2 first round picks (14 and 18) knowing that he was suffering from a mental illness. I have no doubt had the kangas known about this that they would not pay anywhere near as high a price for a player with such a large question mark over his head. Hawthorn also got Thompson for first round picks when he was suffering depression. However, Thompson did go on to play some good footy. but the ethical nature Hawthorn work with is border line cheating. especially in the Hay case.

Having said that, if it were melbourne in the same situtation and got those results i would have thought it was an absolute coup.

Hawthorn in my opinion cheated. They offloaded Jonathan Hay to the kangas for 2 first round picks (14 and 18) knowing that he was suffering from a mental illness. I have no doubt had the kangas known about this that they would not pay anywhere near as high a price for a player with such a large question mark over his head. Hawthorn also got Thompson for first round picks when he was suffering depression. However, Thompson did go on to play some good footy. but the ethical nature Hawthorn work with is border line cheating. especially in the Hay case.

Having said that, if it were melbourne in the same situtation and got those results i would have thought it was an absolute coup.

Its a harsh and silly allegation of cheating at the Hawks in absence of the facts.

Jonathan Hay's issues did not come to the surface until he blew up a number of times at North. At Hawthorn, he was a talented but inconsistent performer who wasn't rated as the smartest player at the Club. If and I do so if Hawthorn know anything about Hay's predicament then I would have thought the release of such information would have been a massive breach of the Privacy Act

North have had every opportunity to assess Hay from his playing history. They had every opportunity to do any other assessments on him in the off season prior to recruitment. They didn't. They made a bad deal regardless of Hay's state of mind. His last season or two at the Hawks had been erratic and inconsistent and the Roos paid over the odds. More fool them.

You have had a go at Hawthorn for "cheating" but would be happy if MFC did it. Well done.

Well, technically, we cheated as well in 97-99 in acquiring Jeff White, so we really can't be pointing fingers at successful clubs for "cheating", when, really, no punishment = no crime and I don't see Hawthorn getting put under investigation.

this is a big call considering you are not backing it up with any sources or facts. I hope for not only the clubs sake but also yours that this is true or you may really regret this with the back lash that would come your way

Guest JACKtheRIPPER
your the man mate, i believe ya, go demons :lol:

this is a big call considering you are not backing it up with any sources or facts. I hope for not only the clubs sake but also yours that this is true or you may really regret this with the back lash that would come your way

With all due respects backing up highly sensitive and confidential information by quoting sources and/or facts on an internet forum would be the height of irresponsibility.

3AW rumour file this morning: Ross Stevenson said that we are going to announce a sponsor 'soon' (I believe that's how he said it). His rumours are more often true than not.

My prediction: Betfair.

I could be showing my country roots and my naivety, but who is Ross Stevenson when he's home eating his Pizza?

Gippy

Not convinced. In fact, I may not even be convinced even after a sponsor is announced. I'm getting a bit sick of being in the dark on so many topics for so long - eg's sponsor, alternate strip, jumper numbers, captaincy etc. etc.

Not convinced. In fact, I may not even be convinced even after a sponsor is announced. I'm getting a bit sick of being in the dark on so many topics for so long - eg's sponsor, alternate strip, jumper numbers, captaincy etc. etc.

Mate, I don't think any other club would handle the situation any different.

Gippy

Mate, I don't think any other club would handle the situation any different.

Gippy

I'm not sure that I know how it should be handled, but all I'm saying is that the silence is making me more nervous rather than feeling reassured. All I worry about is the future existence of our club. Some people think it is assured, others (me included) are not so confident. All I am asking for is perhaps an update. It doesn't need to give away any details (indeed that could be counter-productive during negotiations). But I would at least like to know that the club is pursuing options post the Mission failure and that there is still a good chance of a deal being done. A simple email to members reassuring us that all efforts are being made and no stone is being left unturned would suffice. The alternate jumper and captaincy things don't really concern me in the scheme of things, but I am really edgy over the sponsorship issue and would love ANY correspondence at all...

I'm not sure that I know how it should be handled, but all I'm saying is that the silence is making me more nervous rather than feeling reassured. All I worry about is the future existence of our club. Some people think it is assured, others (me included) are not so confident. All I am asking for is perhaps an update. It doesn't need to give away any details (indeed that could be counter-productive during negotiations). But I would at least like to know that the club is pursuing options post the Mission failure and that there is still a good chance of a deal being done. A simple email to members reassuring us that all efforts are being made and no stone is being left unturned would suffice. The alternate jumper and captaincy things don't really concern me in the scheme of things, but I am really edgy over the sponsorship issue and would love ANY correspondence at all...

I totally agree. I don't like going into a new season without sponsorship, it is kinda suicidal.

I share your concerns about sponsorship but I don't think your concerns about being kept in the dark are legitimate. It fact the matters that you are reffering to are matters for the club and should and will only be released at the right time. This actually reflects positively on the club.

Ie: It would be irresponsible and unprofessional to release details of a potential sponsorship deal until the deal was done.

How often do you want an update Pringle? At the AGM, which was less than two weeks ago, Stynes said the club was persuing a number of options and doing everything it could to secure sponsorship. Obviously the club is working hard on this issue, it's worth millions of dollars a year. It would be inappropriate and irresponsible for the club to give ongoing updates beyond what was said at the AGM and would only hinder our chances of getting a sponsor.