Never do business in Cranbourne

Guest jackas_backa

The players simply can't be allowed to influence decisions. St Kilda has suffered from it for years, and part of the reason why St Kilda passed on Casey Fields 12 months ago was because a very high profile player didn't like the idea of going to Cranbourne to train.

The club needs to make a decision, and not let the tail wag the dog.

Consultation with players regarding a long term strategic decision like this is just plain wrong. After all, the players generally have a relatively short term involvement.

Also, there's a difference between the consultation with players regarding this matter and consultation regarding the earlier start to the pre-season. That's because the earlier start to the pre-season was inconsistent with the CBA, and needed players support to get off the ground.

There are going to be individual players who don't want to go to Cranbourne, and who don't want to travel 45 minutes each way to training. Much as the crows said it is difficult to entice players to SA because they would rather live in Melbourne than Adelaide. These are facts, and location and travel are valid employment decisions irrespective of the industry in which you work.

Casey scorp is right though, in terms of what is right in the long term. Casey represents an important potential mostly untapped market that the demons would be negligent if they didn't try to exploit (and I mean exploit in the positive sense).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Geelong should move it's training base to Melbourne. It'll make it easier for them to attract players.

If any of the current players are unhappy with having to go to Cranbourne to train. Stiff.

Yes, I was going to bring Geelong up too. However, they do play there.

It's a job for the boys, they are priveleged to be a part of the AFL. I'm sure at each Victorian club, they have a number of players within their club who travel 50-60 mins to train.

Maybe Geelong should move it's training base to Melbourne. It'll make it easier for them to attract players.

If any of the current players are unhappy with having to go to Cranbourne to train. Stiff.

Finally we agree Mo. I knew it would happen eventually

It's a job for the boys, they are priveleged to be a part of the AFL. I'm sure at each Victorian club, they have a number of players within their club who travel 50-60 mins to train.

I think the point that has been made by myself, and others who can see a potential issue here, is that for some it is a privelege, but others are just that damn good.

Those journeyman/just there footballers who constitute a reasonable portion of club lists won't [censored] and moan; they won't have any ground to stand on.

Those high profile players (such as the Saints player casey scorp has alluded to) that basically dictate their own terms are less likely to suck it up, since they could get just as good a deal, without the 'travel' obligations, at another club.

For prospective 'glamour' recruits, it could be the straw that breaks our backs.

At the moment, we are crap, so its not a factor. On last season's performance they are all lucky to be playing. But when we unearth our next 'stars', it might well become a problem.

A) Unfortunately AFL players are pampered soft co*ks and are not low income family men who NEED to travel and dont have a choice.

B) New players being drafted are NOT the same as recruits from other clubs. Is that so hard to work out?

C) Yes Casey Fields is a hell of a lot closer to home than Perth, but is the machinations of first being drafted. When they have a choice why would they choose Cranbourne?

D) Arsenal players are paid multi million pounds. I am sure even our pampered players would travel into the stink hole for financial inducements like that.

OK So far no real valid reasons, as to how training in Cranbourne helps us to recruit players (and retain in the future).

Cranbourne is a sad sad place, which has always lacked any sort of success and vision. Yeah it might be a growth corridor but what good is that if the growth is festering a cycle of non achievers and a hugely increasing ethnic enclave (Indian, Islanders and Sri Lankans) who couldnt give a continental about AFL.

Sorry to anyone who is offended by the Cranbourne home truths.

Just wonder why the Hawks travel all that way out to Waverley? It really seems to have effected them.

The joint is like Afghanistan with a terrible history. It is not a "winning environment". Many a businessman has vowed never to go back to the Methane infested town. Make no mistakes, Cranbourne is the reason Messrs Prismall, Warnock, OKeefe etc dont want to play for us. Seriously why would anyone want to travel down there to train every day.

JB. It is you who needs to back up your argument with facts. Who are the businessmen running from Casey? What evidence do you have Prismall and Warnock were put off by Casey? We never approached O'Keefe so far as the club would lead us to believe. Proof please? Otherwise this is an opinion piece and as we all know opinions are like a...holes, everyones got one.

And for your future reference a winning environment is what you create, not where you go. You give the impression of more of hanger on than a go getter so you probably wouldn't subscribe to this.

Guest jackas_backa
JB. It is you who needs to back up your argument with facts. Who are the businessmen running from Casey? What evidence do you have Prismall and Warnock were put off by Casey? We never approached O'Keefe so far as the club would lead us to believe. Proof please? Otherwise this is an opinion piece and as we all know opinions are like a...holes, everyones got one.

And for your future reference a winning environment is what you create, not where you go. You give the impression of more of hanger on than a go getter so you probably wouldn't subscribe to this.

For starters Cranbourne is not Casey. Sure it is a part of the Greater Casey area but it is not infact Casey.

Cranbourne has been the states urban basket case for a long long time. High crime, low income, low literacy rates etc. Just take a walk around the Cranbourne Shopping complex and look at the calibre of shops and that will indicate a low level of trust from reputed businesses. They are all fly by night $2 junk shops. Many a restaurant, clothes shop and other retail outlets have become defunct due to the low socio economic surrounds. In fact the only long serving professional offices, in Cranbourne are the family law solicitors. TRUE. The town has become a haven for islanders, asians and subcontinental immigrants. As fascinating and enticing to be surrounded by these people, unfortunately they have very limited interest in AFL. Make no mistakes it is not Waverley, with Endeavour Hills, Croydon etc feeding the zone. This is Cranbourne.

As for Prismall and Warnock, I stated that having Cranbourne as a home would make things harder. I am not the football manager so have no evidence, just a calculated guess. As for a winning environment, it helps if you have positive support and not methane fueled low income losers.

Melbourne football club has no connection to Cranbourne. The ground is at Casey fields.

No need to even venture anywhere near the shopping centre if it makes youy feel dirty.

Our involvement is with Casey. Cranbourne is a very small part of this area.

The undesirerable you speek of wont venture out that far.

The ground and adjoining facilities are way better than anything we have had.

Its a summer training facility not our home.

For starters Cranbourne is not Casey. Sure it is a part of the Greater Casey area but it is not infact Casey.

Have you the slightest idea how clueless this makes you sound ?? :blink:

All dealings have been with the City of Casey regarding the sporting arenas at Casey Fields with a view to contributing to the general community...of Greater Casey in general. There is NO town of Casey per se. Casey Fields is located in..well blow me down if it isnt Cranbourne ..go figure.

You are however somewhat right in saying Cranbourne alone is not Casey..but its where we're talking about. Casey Fields is an Assett used by the wider community of Casey ..not just Cranbourne.

Im sure most of us are clear on this....are you ? :huh:

Guest jackas_backa
Just about sums it up.

How is everything in Cranbourne this evening.

Your misguided insults are a very flimsy cover for your misinformed opinions.

I am glad you agree about Cranbournes poverty and the implications it has for obtaining RECRUITS, not draftess or current players. RECRUITS people.

As Casey Scorp said a high profile St Kilda player has misgivings about going to the dump for training. Well he is a current player, so how must players with choices feel?

jacka 1, high tower 0

Cranbourne has been the states urban basket case for a long long time. High crime, low income, low literacy rates etc. Just take a walk around the Cranbourne Shopping complex and look at the calibre of shops and that will indicate a low level of trust from reputed businesses. They are all fly by night $2 junk shops. Many a restaurant, clothes shop and other retail outlets have become defunct due to the low socio economic surrounds. In fact the only long serving professional offices, in Cranbourne are the family law solicitors. TRUE. The town has become a haven for islanders, asians and subcontinental immigrants. As fascinating and enticing to be surrounded by these people, unfortunately they have very limited interest in AFL. Make no mistakes it is not Waverley, with Endeavour Hills, Croydon etc feeding the zone. This is Cranbourne.

As for Prismall and Warnock, I stated that having Cranbourne as a home would make things harder. I am not the football manager so have no evidence, just a calculated guess. As for a winning environment, it helps if you have positive support and not methane fueled low income losers.

you are an a grade tool........i'd love to see you back this up??? i know of only one $2 shop.... there are 3 shopping centres and a homemaker centre that posesses all the leading retailers. there are a total of 7 restaurants that have been around for years??? most of the retail shops in the original shopping centre have been there for years also, and yes the same retailers you would find at southbank......the only original law firm would be Slater & Gordon (not many of them around hey???) and i take it you have a problem with multi-culturalism (i'm sure you can work out what i mean you highly intellectual tool you???) and for what it's worth i don't see that many around anyway....limited interest in AFL??? lets look at footy in general....the local junior club has on average 2-3 teams in each age group, 2 U18 sides and plenty of seniors?? plenty of kids playing footy + AFL team = interest.....so let me ask where did you get all these facts from??? the only thing you seem to get right was we are not waverley. oh yeh did i happen to mention that i think you are a tool???

OK So far no real valid reasons, as to how training in Cranbourne helps us to recruit players (and retain in the future).

When Judd was looking for a Melbourne based club, his major reason for rejecting us was because of our training facilities. They weren't up to his lofty standards. Carlton's are apparently better. Had we been in possession of better facilities at that time, we might have got Judd. Our loss.

When Judd was looking for a Melbourne based club, his major reason for rejecting us was because of our training facilities. They weren't up to his lofty standards. Carlton's are apparently better. Had we been in possession of better facilities at that time, we might have got Judd. Our loss.

Actually, I can give you 7.5 million reasons why judd chose carltank. It had nothing to do with our facilities, he also turned down the lexus magpies in favour of the blues dump.

The joint is like Afghanistan with a terrible history. It is not a "winning environment". Many a businessman has vowed never to go back to the Methane infested town. Make no mistakes, Cranbourne is the reason Messrs Prismall, Warnock, OKeefe etc dont want to play for us. Seriously why would anyone want to travel down there to train every day.

Make links with the area, sure, but dont put our precious eggs in that smelly basket!

Hey Jackas, you've got friends, haven't you? See, you get used to the smell.

Guest jackas_backa
you are an a grade tool........i'd love to see you back this up??? i know of only one $2 shop.... there are 3 shopping centres and a homemaker centre that posesses all the leading retailers. there are a total of 7 restaurants that have been around for years??? most of the retail shops in the original shopping centre have been there for years also, and yes the same retailers you would find at southbank......the only original law firm would be Slater & Gordon (not many of them around hey???) and i take it you have a problem with multi-culturalism (i'm sure you can work out what i mean you highly intellectual tool you???) and for what it's worth i don't see that many around anyway....limited interest in AFL??? lets look at footy in general....the local junior club has on average 2-3 teams in each age group, 2 U18 sides and plenty of seniors?? plenty of kids playing footy + AFL team = interest.....so let me ask where did you get all these facts from??? the only thing you seem to get right was we are not waverley. oh yeh did i happen to mention that i think you are a tool???

Cranbourne is a welfare basket case. It has nothing going for it, other than 120K 600 m housing blocks. The place reeks of underachievment. Its only half decent housing development is laughably Brookland Greens. It reminds me of an overblow Trailer park. Oh yeah name 1 AFL player to come from the Metropolis that is Cranbourne? Unless you live their in a depressive spiral of denial, you will understand my sentiments.

How is everything in Cranbourne this evening.

Your misguided insults are a very flimsy cover for your misinformed opinions.

I am glad you agree about Cranbournes poverty and the implications it has for obtaining RECRUITS, not draftess or current players. RECRUITS people.

As Casey Scorp said a high profile St Kilda player has misgivings about going to the dump for training. Well he is a current player, so how must players with choices feel?

jacka 1, high tower 0

Didn't know we were keeping score?

It's a summer training base jacka.

GAME SET MATCH - High Tower.

Guest jackas_backa
Didn't know we were keeping score?

It's a summer training base jacka.

GAME SET MATCH - High Tower.

Looks like Me and the CEO are on the same page. The greedy skunks wants 600 k / yr.

Looks like Me and the CEO are on the same page. The greedy skunks wants 600 k / yr.

It's got nothing to do with greed, and the 600k/year was offered by MFC - not demanded by the Council.

You seem to miss the point that it was MFC that wanted a 30 year deal and offered the community program worth $600,000/year in order to convince the Council to put its funds into the building extension and to allow MFC to use Casey Fields.

The community program contains a whole lot of components which are mostly about MFC engaging with the community. Have you missed the part where MFC does not have a geographic support base, and wants to develop one at Casey? That takes effort, and the effort has a value. It won't happen overnight and has to be sustained for many years.

This whole thing has got bogged down in crossed purposes and misunderstandings. The 600k is not a monetary value that is actually paid..Its the VALUE attibuted to the particpation in programs etc that the council would normally have paid other to do. Its a sort of contra deal with a monetary value given for purposes of for want of a better word, barter.

Whilst not costing the club nearly that much per se it will cost in effort and to some degree expenses

Goven that this was all but over the line, done and dusted the only element to have changed is the make up of the Melbourne board. I now throw it squarely at this group to get it sorted.

MFC ..get it sorted.. youre embarassing thte club. Its all well to come in spouting this and that..but you obviously had no plan and no idea.. Get it done and get it done NOW.. Show some professionalism

This whole thing has got bogged down in crossed purposes and misunderstandings. The 600k is not a monetary value that is actually paid..Its the VALUE attibuted to the particpation in programs etc that the council would normally have paid other to do. Its a sort of contra deal with a monetary value given for purposes of for want of a better word, barter.

Whilst not costing the club nearly that much per se it will cost in effort and to some degree expenses

Goven that this was all but over the line, done and dusted the only element to have changed is the make up of the Melbourne board. I now throw it squarely at this group to get it sorted.

MFC ..get it sorted.. youre embarassing thte club. Its all well to come in spouting this and that..but you obviously had no plan and no idea.. Get it done and get it done NOW.. Show some professionalism

More importantly, get it done right.

More importantly, get it done right.

They have had far and away long enough to get this done RIGHT !!

Any wonder we have such a bad reputation as a club. You have to wonder if they could get the lunch orders right let alone inter business contracts !! :huh: