Best and Fairest

Yze_Magic

Congrats to Bruce. I had Green winning by 1 vote over Bruce, so the result doesn't surprise me. Nor does the mindless attack on Bruce here. Is it really such a crime for Bruce to have won the Bluey? He's been a very good player for the club over 9 seasons. Aside from Green, or McLean (who played half a season), who would we rather have won it? Puul Wheatley? He wouldn't get a spot on the lists of most AFL clubs (but should have finished higher, incidentally). No one else was anywhere near it.

If you want farcical, look at Clint Bartram's placing, or that somehow Michael Newton picked up 4 votes.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clint I agree with that.

Green should be gutted, and if we walks from the club I would not hate him for it, he gave his all this year and threw his body in, played well, and was far above all, yet it goes to some one who had a mare of a year, he was average, his disposal was average to atrocious, his goal kicking was deplorable and yet he wins our B&F.

And that is why we are where we are, if he is deemed to be the best at our club this year then we are in a world of trouble, looks like mediocrity wins the day.

One of the lowest points in our 150 years in my opinion.

I do not hate Bruce, I have a jumper with his number on it, but this year was very average by some one who is getting paid what he is, supposedly one of our better players and co captain.

1- Cameron Bruce

2- Paul Wheatleywrong position

3- Brad Green

4- Cale Mortonwrong position

5- Paul Johnson

6- Brad Miller

7- Colin Sylvia

8- Brock McLeanwrong position

9- James McDonald

10- Simon Buckley

Best First Year Player: Cale Morton

Best Clubman: Brent Moloney

Most Improved: Simon Buckley

...got 7 out of the top 10 right, including 3 of them in exact position- and was correct that Jones and Garland would not make it-- which is surpirsing as Warnock came 4th. well done to him. how the F&^* did the robot bartram make it into the top *?? FFS. Obviously won't get traded/delisted now cos he won some other award as well- but there you go- trade bait, 8th B&F and good tagger (not), plus a pick could land us something late in the 20's, 30's quite easily

well done to bruce- was ALWAYS going to win it as he was only one to play 22 games

and gee, brock, what a legend- played only 14 games and still killed it

Totally agree. The way he came back on after injuring his ankle shows just as much G&D as Hodge with broken ribs coming back on.

Needs the captaincy IMO.

edit:

My prediction:

1. Brad Green

2. Cameron Bruce

3. Brock McLean

4. Paul Wheatley

5. Colin Garland

6. Colin Sylvia

7. Brad Miller

8. Cale Morton

9. James McDonald

10. Nathan Jones

Final Result

Cameron Bruce 75

Brock McLean 60

Brad Green 57

Matthew Warnock 47

James McDonald 46

Brad Miller 40

Cale Morton 40

Clint Bartram 39

Paul Wheatley 39

Austin Wonaeamirri 39

7 out of 10 players in the top 10, missed on Warnock, Bartram & Wonaeamirri.

Spot on.

A very dark night for the MFC, and an endictment on the coaches who voted.

We are even more screwed than we ever thought possible.

For once totally agree with YM and hed the same reaction as Jaded!

Nothing against Cam but dont think he had a good year on field. Was no 1 in ineffective possessions and lot of turnovers. The voting must be based on number of possessions only!!

In stark contrast with Rioli on Saturday - only 10 possessions but one of the best players!

It is disturbing for MFC's future that the coaches have rated Bruces and Mcdonald years so highly! IMO they both had very poor years. Puzzling given their dispatching of Jeff White. Cam has fallen into the same trap as equating no. of possessions to how good he played. Whitey has been chasing cheap possessions for a couple of years now (ala Joel Bowden).

Greeny was going that way but has go rid of that trait in last 12 - 18 months. Has shown real courage in going back into packs on half back. If that attitude is enought to get Hodge the Norm Smith over Gary Jnr last Saturday I dont understand why is not in calculations of the Bluey (BTW named after a guy with lot of guts!!).

The Bluey ought to have been between Brad Green and Paul Wheatley (clearly the best defender all year!).

It is although the people voting were watching different games than us in the Northern stands. Maybe they have been sitting in the same seats as Rodney Eade had on Saturday???

(BTW how is possible that the people asked to vote on the Norm Smith included at least 2 who played for one of the competing sides????)

This result tells me quite a lot about the current coaching panel. And I like it. It tells me that other than McLean the panel didn't really rate anybody. Bruce won by default. Partly because he was the only player to play every game and he racked up high possession numbers. I don't think his winning was an overwhelming stamp of approval by the coaching staff. More an example of attrition.

Bartram has the heart of Pharlap but the class of a Clydesdale. The Coaching dept know this as much as any supporter. They rewarded him with a top 10 finish because so many others don't play with his intensity and were undeserving. If you asked the Coaches to rate the list based solely on ability they wouldn't have Bartram in the top 15. Bartram's result is an indictment on every senior player that finished below him. Personally, I'd cut Bartram or trade him, because he doesn't have the skills to be a premiership player, but I recognise all that he brings to the club.

They had Davey and Sylvia low. I'm wrapt. My concerns on Davey are well to known to many and I'm glad that they seem to be shared by the club. I went against the grain and bemoaned his third placing some years ago, much to the displeasure of many on here at the time.

All in all it's a lamentable list. The supporters disappointment is matched by every person at the Club. Even more so.

EDIT: when I say that the list is lamentable, I'm talking in its present form. I actually think that by the time this draft period is over it's youth will be as exciting as I can remember.

Sounds like an encouragement award rather than a Best & Fairest.

Warnock at #4

Bartram at #8

And what's the deal with Jones. From second to 18th in 1 year. Either he badly misses the protection of McLean, or he's just an average footballer in a terrible side. I hope it's the former.

I wouldn't read too much into it. It's been a bad year, and none of our players have had a brilliant season, as Hannabal said, it was almost like a default victory.

But even if you look at the Cats B&F, I wouldn't have expected Corey to beat Ablett either. But he did so convincingly (591 votes to 538).

Ablett is the superior player, but Corey was always prominent, as was Bruce.

I dont hate any of our players.

I am however sick of the MFC and its continual acceptance of medicocrity.

if I dont tell it how it is, who else will?

Nobody else on this forum has the balls.

Did Cam Bruce run over your puppy or something? Steal your girlf...oh wait, scratch that.

Were you booing him when he kicked the goal late to get us back in the game against Brissy this year? How about when he kicked the go ahead goal against Sydney to kick start our season in '06? Did you boo him when he kicked 7 against Carltank?

You slam our 'supporters of mediocrity', but what about the negative, narky leeches who destabilise and divide the support of the one club everyone on here loves. I'm all for healthy debate, but petty slander of players and other fans just comes off as childish, and leaves you with ni credibility or respect.

But even if you look at the Cats B&F, I wouldn't have expected Corey to beat Ablett either. But he did so convincingly (591 votes to 538).

Ablett is the superior player, but Corey was always prominent, as was Bruce.

I am not surprised at all that Joel Corey won. Full year, very consistent, All-Australian. Ablett missed 5 games through injury. Corey was $12 to win the Brownlow on the fourth line of betting too. Corey thoroughly deserved this honour at Cat land.

Voting is done by the coaches, so the players are judged on their ability to complete their roles.

Cam Bruce runs all day and plays the link in midfield, getting plenty of touches.

Batram gets the best midfielder and limits their influence most of the time.

Warnock is incredibly selfless and the leader in the backline, giving aide to any defender down there.

On those that we feel would be hard done by, Jones has been criticised for being unaccountable, and for his indiscriminate kicking. The same goes for Simon Buckley.

It's really only an insight into who the coaches think are improving and are listening to their orders.

This vote is ominous for Jones, I know there are a few on here that would like to trade him. Personally, I want to keep him. But with the coaching staff underwhelmed with his contribution it is likelier today than yesterday.

I am not surprised at all that Joel Corey won. Full year, very consistent, All-Australian. Ablett missed 5 games through injury. Corey was $12 to win the Brownlow on the fourth line of betting too. Corey thoroughly deserved this honour at Cat land.

I'm not saying he didn't. The point I'm making is that although Ablett is the superior player as Green was to Bruce, the voting will reward consistency, and both Corey and Bruce featured prominently, despite questions over his disposal efficiency.

Even if Ablett had played a full season, on those votes it looks as though Corey may have pipped him anyway, and that does surprise me.

because a player u dont like won the B&F or because ur Fav player didnt win it?

No, it's disappointing because Bruce had an ordinary year.

In a season where pretty much everyone had a shocker, it would have been nice if a player was rewarded for improvement or leadership. I would have been thrilled for Greeny or even Wheatley had they won the award, but to reward someone who has gone backwards with his disposal and play making, who played just above the average and wasn't particularly brave or strong this year, is just really disappointing.

In such a [censored] season, rewarding players who have gone above and beyond would have been nice. That's why it's fantastic to see Warnock come 4th, because he has improved so much against all the odds. Bruce had some ok games, a couple of great games, and mostly ordinary or below par games. He did nothing spectacular and most of us sitting in the outer felt the same throughout the season.

Would love to know on what criteria Bruce ended up winning it, because IMO Green was far more deserving.

Edit: I don't dislike any of our players (Carroll aside), and my disappointment has more to do with the club than with Bruce himself.

I'm not saying he didn't. The point I'm making is that although Ablett is the superior player as Green was to Bruce, the voting will reward consistency, and both Corey and Bruce featured prominently, despite questions over his disposal efficiency.

Even if Ablett had played a full season, on those votes it looks as though Corey may have pipped him anyway, and that does surprise me.

Roulette, I didn't say you did. I understand your point. I commented on that I thought Corey deserved it - that was my point, where as many have questionned whether Bruce should have won (which is understandable).

edit: fwiw I think Ablett would have won had he not been injured and played another 5 games IMO. Corey finished on 591 to Ablett's 538 votes. Just on stats. Corey (avg 27 votes a game); Ablett (avg 31 votes a game).

Still, it would of been closer all the same.

Untouchable, what on earth, how is that so Jaded?

It just seems that whenever anyone has anything negative to say about Bruce (Y_M aside, as he really is a tool), they are automatically labeled a Bruce-basher, or pulled up on their comments, even if they are not being offensive.

On the other hand, it is completely OK to call Miller a hack, Bell a dud, Bartram a no-hoper and the list goes on.