Brad Green

Guest unstable punt

Trade him for low first high second any day of the week. He'll be 32-33 and sitting on a beach when we're seriously good again, a good draft pick will be 22-23 and of far more value. Wake up people. We have almost as many holes as a golf course and we need to draft to fill them.

Agree

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

id trade him for a top 20 pick.

he wont be around for our next shot at it.

bruce, robbo, wheatly, wheelan, mdonald, rivers, miller, davey, will all be on the list with experience. the later two are a bit younger but have been around for a bit. im not sure if i missed anyone.

he is a good solid player who has been one of our best, and i will give him one thing, a lot of courage and willing to go with the flight of it, however he generally plays a loose man or as a medium forward. he is not exactly playing an important posi on the field and probably wont be missed that much.

he also doesnt stand up every week. he does go missing at times. if he was someone who stood up and had a great game week in week out you would keep him. but he yo-yos like the rest of them (although credit again, he has a more consistant season than most or han in the past).

Whelan, Bruce, Robbo and James Mcdonald are all older than Green, and Wheatley is a month younger. Why would he be gone before any of them?

Because Bruce aside, he has the greatest market value.

By the way I would trade Bruce well ahead of Green, as IMO we would get more for Bruce and the loss to our team would be less.

I only have two questions:

1. Does Brad Green Play want to play for the Melbourne Football Club and become part of its Renaissance?

or

2. Does Brad Green just want to chase $$$$$

If the answer is question 2 then as Dean Bailey says........The Exit sign is over there

I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Note that I like Green. I simply don't think he'll be around for our next flag tilt, and would prefer to take a top-5 pick that will be peaking then (if he's any good).

Sure, it is very possible that Green wont be around for the next flag, however, you need a player like Green in your young developing side in the years before hand. Greeny provides so much direction on and off the field- he is an excellent example, and is proberbly the one only marque player we have down at the club.

His worth is much more, than the pick we will get for him.

Guest unstable punt
I'd feel that losing Green would be a step backwards for us, young players are all good, they are the future, but they need to have someone to look up to as a role model. Why else did we re-sign Jmac to another contract? He won't be around for our next tilt at the cup, so if we were purely looking at the future it would make more sense to say, "thanks for the service but you're time's up" and then get another draft pick.

Green should be Captain, the only reason he wasn't in the leadership group in the first place was because he was injured for a lot of it and wasn't able to make an impression on the younger players for the vote. Thankfully he was welcomed back in without hesitation mid-year. Perhaps the captaincy could be used as a bargaining chip, but ultimately if he wants to stay, he will.

Yes and he is a role model for the younger players, Cale Morton said on Saturday in an interview on 774 that Green is his mentor and the man he looks up to at the club, we need him at the club

Bottom line:

Club has to decide what the value of each player is, then stick to it. There will be some carry over of some overpaid players whose contracts are still current - that's just the way it is. If he goes into PSD, so be it - his most likely destinations will be Freo or WC. Good luck!

Green may want what Bruce is on - sorry, tough. I'm guessing that Bruce is our highest paid player; like most of our squad, he is severely overpaid.

My solution? get Bruce to take a pay cut, and give Green the same $'s.

And, we should remember, Green has not, until this year, been a particularly brave player. Lots of skill. Game turner? Rarely.

I love Green and would hate to see him leave. But If Chooka can cough up 10 large for the club out of his own pocket. I won't feel sorry if Green wants leave over more money!

Would be nice to see Green as Capt with Mclean ready to take the reigns in a few years.

Guest Schtacker

1. Given the harping on about 'building a side around the youth' you would not expect them to trade any decent under-24s

2. Unless there are players considered to be redundant/in surplus due to their role, then they could go

3. The youth policy would seem to be taken to the max by losing older players for draft picks

4. The only 'old' blokes worth anything are Bruce and Green

5. There certainly seems to be a big draft/trade period coming for us, may well involve a high profile player being off

6. There are definitely many gaps to be filled...4 picks in the top 20 could just about set us up if they were the right players

7. Bruce and Green are absolutely integral as leaders/teachers/heart of the club

8. Green will win the B+F and is favourite to captain

9. Clubs trading away their first round picks in this valuable year will want huge compensation

10. Only a few clubs looking to 'top up for a tilt' would consider it

All this in mind I think Green will not go

If we kept him only to keep Sir Cale on track it would be worth it!

However I think somebody good, somebody worth something, will be put up for somebody's pick 11-15, a club topping up. Who though? Sylvia? CJ? Newton? Bate? Bartram? None of these will catch the fish unless they are combined and/or with a later pick thrown in

In conclusion I clearly have no idea :blink:

EDIT: This is reading between the lines but... I find the fact in itself that he is unhappy with his offer to be quite odd... you wouldn't have thought, since we are freeing up all this salary space they would give a lowball offer to a player who is going to win the B+F and is a potential captain... makes me wonder if they are putting the squeeze on some blokes, in order to keep a big chunk of salary in store for the 'big fish' that they are rumoured to be fishing for - is it R.Warnock or what?

Again we are at a place where yo need to keep a sound mind and not panic. Green may stay, he may not. We may have the say, we may not. Who knows at present.

The element i find a tad humorous is that every year there is someone who steps up a bit..and suddenly they are untouchable or untradable. In the end NO ONE really is either. You make the best fist of whatever hand you have or can re trade for.

Brads been pretty solid for us this year, thats good..if he's with us next year Id expect even better. If the club cannont afford him..or make agreement in whatever shape or form then you simply have to take away whatever value is on offer from the highest camp and trade. Theres no point sookin gover it or gettin petulant..what is..IS.

We arent exactly a team of tier ones are we. Green is good..but probably not as good to the open market as we value him. This effect is same all around. Keep in mind..hes a rare semi shining glimmer in an otherwise less than illustrious bottom side ( at present ) Point being..dont fall into the trap of making him out to be anymore than he is. If Trapper was worth 14 last year..then Green ought to be worth normally a high first rounder. However this is not a normal year. First round picks will be a premium. I would think a low 2nd round pick may be a reality..or he may participate in a 3 party trade.

Like many Id rather keep Brad..I think he has the right stuff for the Dees..but if he's to go ..so be it..lets just do it well..for us !!

I don really think they would let him go. They know his worth.

PS> Nice pic rusty.

I agree. They know his worth. But the more I look at the list now and the more I think about it, the club might just have to make a tough decision on this one. Yes, I'm being swayed to the dark side.... <_< I feel the force :lol:

We all have to keep in mind we may not ultimately be driving this one. Its certainly going to be a busy and interstig trade period this year :huh:

We all have to keep in mind we may not ultimately be driving this one. Its certainly going to be a busy and interstig trade period this year :huh:

There is no force....just playing around with the Star Wars crap....seriously though the more I look at the list and then this draft, whats on offer, the back ended contracts, the position the club is in, the precarious position that Brad Green and the club may face with his current contract coming to a close. Then considering what the club needs to do as a business to succeed, being ruthless, needing pace, GC17, etc, etc, etc, etc.

In the end when you weigh everything up, his age etc. It is my belief that we need another top 20 draft pick in this draft. Before the concessions and more importantly to strengthen our list. When you look at the list there are only 4 of experience that could provide that. They are Davey, McLean, Bruce and Green - IMO. We are not going to make the eight IMO next year. Davey and McLean are out of the equation - they are required. Bruce is currently co-captain and is consistent. ANd Green just happens to becoming out of contract.

As you say it makes for an interesting trade period.

We have won 8 ou of our last 43 games. That stat is not going to improve a great deal in the coming seasons with or without Brad Green.

But the stat will improve in 5 years time when our list is entering their window of opportunity. What would we rather have, a 32 year old forward pocket coming off the bench, or a 23 year old top 15 pick?

Don't give this rubbish about leadership, McLean (with all his failings as a person) has more leadership in his broken right foot than Brad Green does.

He has played very well this year, and been incredibly brave but his worth to our tilt is in his value on the trade table, not as a player, and certainly not in some obtuse Mr Miagi style, teacher-student project for our younger players. They want professional guidance they can get it from a player young enough to be involved in our next flag tilt, or - here's an idea - they can get one one of our two development coaches to help them out.

He has had a fine career at the Dees, but if a top 15 pick is offered, it would be remiss of the coaching staff not to take it.

I understand why people want to keep Brad, the question is where do you draw the line? It's fine to say "we must keep Green" but the club has limited expenditure. If he wants too much it's bye bye Brad, simple as that. The club can't be held to ransom. Our guys are on the same coin as Geelong this year FFS.

If he's being too greedy package him to Carltank with pick19 for pick 6.

I understand why people want to keep Brad, the question is where do you draw the line? It's fine to say "we must keep Green" but the club has limited expenditure. If he wants too much it's bye bye Brad, simple as that. The club can't be held to ransom. Our guys are on the same coin as Geelong this year FFS.

If he's being too greedy package him to Carltank with pick19 for pick 6.

Sides such as Collingwood and Sydney will be in the market for a trade such as Brad Green - if Melbourne put him on the table. With Didak supposedly on the way out. Collingwood has been rumoured to be putting their "feelers out" for players such as J.Brown, B.Rutten. If they can't land the big fish in Brown, they will be looking elsewhere. Sydney can spend and have a history of recycled players which have more often than not kicked on in Sydney. O'Loughlin and Hall's days with Sydney appear numbered.

Depending where the two sides finish the season - which could result in them having picks anywhere from 11 up to 15. Just speculating but it could be say Pick 12 for Green and pick 35.

What would be the attitude if the Dockers went after him knowing that we are after Warnock.

There are a few other Dockers looking to the East I believe. Names of Mundy and Murphy have been mentioned.

Could a trade be arranged for a few Dockers or swapping of picks?

This would leave us with our PSD pick intact and more players to target.

Could a trade be arranged for a few Dockers or swapping of picks?

This would leave us with our PSD pick intact and more players to target.

That could be done. Good point Redleg. What are the age's of Murphy and Mundy incidently? 22-23 aren't they?

We'll probably get some poster who thinks he/she knows it all saying their useless or something....but you're just throwing up a hypothetical scenario I know.