If I were Jeff White

Al`s DEMONS

Nudge

No one really decries any accolades coming Jeffs way.. but his time is up. what club is going to invest in an over 30 so -so Ruck ( in todays terms) just accept reality..Im sure Jeff will/has !!

He wouldnt be getting a game at most clubs..he cant get a game at ours !!!

Jeff will retire..with honour...and thanks...at seasons end

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White is finished.

if anyone thinks he will go on next year, I suggest you seek help.

who wants to open a book.. ??? White will retire...who wants to put money down he will stil be in Red/Blue next year ??

Nudge

No one really decries any accolades coming Jeffs way.. but his time is up. what club is going to invest in an over 30 so -so Ruck ( in todays terms) just accept reality..Im sure Jeff will/has !!

He wouldnt be getting a game at most clubs..he cant get a game at ours !!!

Jeff will retire..with honour...and thanks...at seasons end

Did you even read what I said?

I said his time is up, just wanted ppl to understand that he's had alot of hurdles over the years!

Read my post again, you to Yze!

i would offer my services to the Hawks next year for a 1 year deal worth 150,000-200,000. Hawks would get him in the PSD draft, not wasting any of their picks in the national draft. Cats will go back to back this year. So White poses as a handy backup for the Campbell/Taylor duo should one get injured of be out of form. Hawks are well and truly into their rebuliding so this could work for their push in 2009. this doesnt benifit us at all but wont affect us either, our window isnt open just yet.

i would offer my services to the Hawks next year for a 1 year deal worth 150,000-200,000. Hawks would get him in the PSD draft, not wasting any of their picks in the national draft. Cats will go back to back this year. So White poses as a handy backup for the Campbell/Taylor duo should one get injured of be out of form. Hawks are well and truly into their rebuliding so this could work for their push in 2009. this doesnt benifit us at all but wont affect us either, our window isnt open just yet.

Our window is several years away..........

As a side-note, maybe he could go to the Bulldogs...? As i saw today, Hudson and Minson aren't much good in the ruck duels, and Minson looks like he's being groomed as a gorilla FF. White and Hudson as a tandem ruck team with Minson full time forward could sound very inviting for them, especially if they make the top 4 this year and believe they're a shot in '09...

have you not read this thread???? white was beaten by the dogs other ruckmen in the vfl yesterday.

white was dropped from the afl, lost in the ruck against the bulldogs 3rd ruckmen. and you think the bulldogs would want him to play in their afl team?

have you not read this thread???? white was beaten by the dogs other ruckmen in the vfl yesterday.

white was dropped from the afl, lost in the ruck against the bulldogs 3rd ruckmen. and you think the bulldogs would want him to play in their afl team?

Yes i have read the thread. I said that as an 'aside'... just a thought. Stranger things have happened, i dont particularly think it will happen, so theres no need to jump down my throat for what i believe is nothing more than a thought provoking topic.

And FYI...

Street is one of the better tap ruckmen going around, not just at VFL level but in the AFL, and is not in the Bullie's side only because he doesnt offer much in the way of offence and is generally too slow and limited. A lot like Jamar. Hudson and Minson are both inferior in terms of ruckwork, but bring other things that Street is not capable of in versatility. Most ruckmen get beaten in the ruck by Street, but kill him around the ground..

I for one don't particularly rate White in his current state and hope he retires at years end. But I think if he still wants to play on and is told he no longer part of our future plans, preferably i'd rather get a trade for him then have him walk into the PSD.

A team like the Bulldogs, who believe they are a chance for a flag and have a deficiency in the ruck, might be willing to bargain for a 30+ yo with a view for short term success. They might be looking for another ruckman given Street, despite his obvious proficiency in the ruck contests, doesnt have the speed or skills set for AFL and will likely be delisted, and Minson may become their FF. White may not be much good in the ruck anymore, but from what i saw of Hudson today, he is miles ahead of him in the ruck duels, and would be seen as that 'short term upgrade' of Hudson. Hudson is a good clearance player once the ball hits the ground, but is no better in the ruck than PJ.

The Saints picked up King AND Gardiner and IMO = White >>>> BOTH

The Swans picked up an old Everitt a year after drafting a mid-20's Jolly. If the Bullies got White, it would be a very similar situation to that one.

So who knows, maybe another club may be willing?

Youre all being too hard on JEff..

I know he is no longer up to it, but he would be getting a game most clubs,

Ive read and re read it..which bit did I misinterpret ?? NO he wouldnt get a game anywhere else..he's failing in the magoos !!...maybe YOU need to re-read ??

but yes..his time is up..you got that bit right !! ;)

If I was Jeff White.........I would be checking up on Sydney and Peter Everitt's contract situation. And if I was at Melbourne I would be talking to the Sydney's and Adelaide's of the football world come trade time. EVen dare I say it Jeff, Fremantle?

Youre all being too hard on JEff..

I know he is no longer up to it, but he would be getting a game most clubs, its actually HARDER for players of his age to get games at clubs that are rebuilding!!

Jeff had a horrific, HORRIFIC shin injury, still has, was told he could never play again, he's had it operated on 14 times! incredible!

His shins bled out constantly, he was in absolute agony every game, but he troopered on!

It really struck him down in his prime!

The new centre circle also played a HUGE role in his demise!

Thanks for your service over hte years Jeff, and all the best, yes its time to move on, maybe another club who is in the premiership window and in need of a ruckman, but I doubt it!

With Warnock looking like becoming a demon, its time..

But I for one can understand how much youve providede olur club with, and thanks all those highlights mate!

Well said, i think some demonlanders need to realise what this guy went through before just burying him as an old hack

Good luck whitey

If I was Jeff White.........I would be checking up on Sydney and Peter Everitt's contract situation. And if I was at Melbourne I would be talking to the Sydney's and Adelaide's of the football world come trade time. EVen dare I say it Jeff, Fremantle?

White cannot get a run at a bottom rung club that is screaming out for good ruckman. He got beaten by Peter Street (WB's 3rd ranked ruck and NQR player at AFL level) on Saturday. How far can you possibly fall?

Sydney will not want a ruckman who has no physical presence in ruck or at the fall of the ball.

Adelaide has Griffen, Maric and Biglands (come back from knee injury). They wont want White.

Given the dinosaurs, Freo have on their list, they will be cleaning out alot of old players and wont be recruiting 32 yo VFL standard players.

White is out of contract and will either retire (sensible) or nominate for the PSD and be disappointed. He is smarter than that.

I caught the tail of someone calling up the afternoon show on SEN today to say that he had some mail from a real estate agent that Jeff White is putting his house up for sale and heading for retirement to the Gold Coast.

Could be a load of shite, but this guy had no real motive to call up with that kind of info, so there may be some truth in it. Retirement may be imminent.

I caught the tail of someone calling up the afternoon show on SEN today to say that he had some mail from a real estate agent that Jeff White is putting his house up for sale and heading for retirement to the Gold Coast.

Could be a load of shite, but this guy had no real motive to call up with that kind of info, so there may be some truth in it. Retirement may be imminent.

Fwiw, this has been reported on the forum previously. I believe someone mentioned that he has a golf shop up there or something.

Well said, i think some demonlanders need to realise what this guy went through before just burying him as an old hack

Good luck whitey

Absolutely.

White has been a fantastic servant of the MFC, and has had some truly hideous injuries in his time. Through it all he has been an elite ruckman for many years and deserves a lot of recognition for his efforts and bravery.

Having said that, he should retire at the end of the year.

So who knows, maybe another club may be willing?

....and stupid.

The Saints would both be judging the punt on King and Gardiner as abject failures. Neither have offered the Saints much and they are now falling back on Kozi.

Peter Street is in the VFL because he is not good enough for AFL period. He is way behind Hudson and Minson. You grossly underestimate the influence of Hudson. He has been a gun recruit for the Dogs and allowed them to play Minson up forward. Given the Dogs are pushing seriously at a flag why would they punt on an underperforming ruckman who has rather poor finals record? Ask yourself what would an undersized underperforming ruckman who does not have a physical presence provide in a hotly contested final situation? Not much.

Everitt is a culture bogan but was at 34 a capable AFL ruckman and is well in front of White. In fact Everitt at 36 would still be a better bet than White now.

With an orchestrated unfair draft to impact for a number of years most clubs are going to be looking a bit more long term and wil be picking accordingly. Places will be valued on lists. There is just no real value in Jeff at another team..and Jeff knows this.

Dean will no doubt have a chat to him ;)

Sounds pretty right Jerry. All the mail surrounding White this year and his own guarded comments indicate that retirement is exactly what he has in mind. He can happily sit out the rest of the year in the VFL and have a farewell match in Rd 22.

Fwiw, this has been reported on the forum previously. I believe someone mentioned that he has a golf shop up there or something.

Yeah I read about it in a property magazine. It's definitely true (the house selling part, not sure about retirement)

....and stupid.

The Saints would both be judging the punt on King and Gardiner as abject failures. Neither have offered the Saints much and they are now falling back on Kozi.

Peter Street is in the VFL because he is not good enough for AFL period. He is way behind Hudson and Minson. You grossly underestimate the influence of Hudson. He has been a gun recruit for the Dogs and allowed them to play Minson up forward. Given the Dogs are pushing seriously at a flag why would they punt on an underperforming ruckman who has rather poor finals record? Ask yourself what would an undersized underperforming ruckman who does not have a physical presence provide in a hotly contested final situation? Not much.

Everitt is a culture bogan but was at 34 a capable AFL ruckman and is well in front of White. In fact Everitt at 36 would still be a better bet than White now.

I agree, almost completely. The Bulldog's would be dumb as dog-sh*t to pick up White, but stranger things have happened. White has traditionally played very well against the Bulldogs in the past too..

My one point of objection is... Did u see Hudson ruck against Jamar and PJ yesterday? If u weren't there, or didnt take much notice of the ruck contests, have a look at the replay and tell me if i'm still underestimating his ruck work? He was completely useless and had no influence at ball ups and throw in's at all. Our guys jumped all over him! Had a look at the stats and saw he only got 10 hitouts for the day, but would have easily rucked 80% of the game. Jamar had 20, PJ 9, both with a higher effectiveness.

IMO his midfield make him look good, and have done all year. I've seen a fair bit of the Dog's this year and each time i've noticed his ruck technique is very underwhelming. He doesnt seem to time his jump well, if he's even jumping at all. And it was the same at Adelaide. Why do u think they were willing to part with him (and Meesen) last year?

(It seems they don't teach their ruckman too well down there).

He has been in good form this year for them, but he's playing in a tightly drilled unit with one of the better, quicker midfields in the league... A 'gun recruit' i seriously think not. He's nothing more than a good solid player, best suited to being a #2 ruckman, but currently capable of holding the #1 spot because of their midfield strength this year. His ruck work is and always has been NQR, but his ability to find the footy around the ground and win the contested ball is what makes him capable at AFL level, and his ground workrate at the stoppage is of elite standard for a ruckman. But he's not a particularly strong mark either (bit like PJ).

He's no #1 ruckman and the Bulldogs will know this, as he was drafted with the intention to share the ruck duties with Minson 50/50. But with Minson now playing as a forward, there will be an opening on their list for a ruckman of some experience to share the ruck load next year, given Street will likely be delisted.

And on Street... He would probably beat 14 out of the 16 best ruckmen in the league at the ruck hitout duels, but is incapable in all other aspects of the game. That's why he's a 3rd stringer. Not because he can't ruck. Getting beaten in the ruck contest by Street is par for the course, mainly because of his height. Not many guys other than Sandilands can really challenge him in ruck contests on his day. He just no good at anything else (bit like Jamar).

I'm just repeating myself now though, i seriously wonder if people actually read my posts completely before replying.

Its naive to think that because White has played well against Club it creates value above and beyond any other performance he has put in. Strange things happen but Clubs arent that stupid these days.

The WBs were not switched on for a game against a nagging cellar dweller and are focussed on the Cats game. Johnson and Cooney all had poor games. However I dont see the need to condemn them for one poor game like you do Hudson. I'll measure him over the year and he has been a great pick up so far for the Dogs. Hudson is not a brilliant technician but performs the role required of giving a contest at centre bounces and creating space for other players with the body on body work. And Adelaide have Griffen, Maric and Biglands. They could afford to shop Hudson around as there is every expectation that Griffen and Maric will be quite good rucks as they mature.

FWIW, its worth Hudson has rucked more than 50% of the time this year with Minson pinch hitting as required. And filling Street's shoes is going to be a big one. He played 12 games last year and has not been called upon this year. I dont see them fussing too much about getting a ready made ruckman.

You have to understand that ruckwork is far more than taps. Sandilands gets 40+ taps a game and his impact is zip because his decision making is poor, his mobility is limited and his work around the stoppages needs to improve. Street is 211cm tall. Thats where his advantage starts and stops. He's a dud at AFL level and I dont see why you want to talk him up when clearly his performance does not warrant it. Strangely you want to talk down Hudson who is clearly making an impact at AFL level and has been a good acquisition for the Bulldogs

King managed to push his way back into the premiership team, and do a decent job.

Correct. And Geelong couldn't squeeze him under their Cap. So they looked to the future and gave him to St.Kilda for a "very" late pick. But he did go with a history of injury baggage. White could fetch anything from pick 45 and over. If an Everitt were to retire, I would think Sydney might want to visit Melbourne's trade table when the bell rings at Telstra Dome in October.

Correct. And Geelong couldn't squeeze him under their Cap. So they looked to the future and gave him to St.Kilda for a "very" late pick. But he did go with a history of injury baggage. White could fetch anything from pick 45 and over. If an Everitt were to retire, I would think Sydney might want to visit Melbourne's trade table when the bell rings at Telstra Dome in October.

White is out of contract in October.

Why would they trade for a declining sub AFL ruckman whose only strength was neutered by the 2004 rule change rather than pick him up for free in the PSD if they were actually interested?