Chris Johnson..

Dannyz

Firstly just want to say thankgod we kept hold of him during last years Trade week.

Anyway to the point. Do you think CJ could have the impact Travis did in the midfield. Although hes doing really well off the half back flank, I see him eventually pushing into the midfield and really adding the touch of polish and class through there we really lack at times.

Thoughts?

Firstly just want to say thankgod we kept hold of him during last years Trade week.

Anyway to the point. Do you think CJ could have the impact Travis did in the midfield. Although hes doing really well off the half back flank, I see him eventually pushing into the midfield and really adding the touch of polish and class through there we really lack at times.

Thoughts?

Let's not get too carried away. Trav is a best and fairest winner who copped the oppositions best tagger every single week. Chris Johnson has had 1 good game in 5 or so years.

TJ class, polish and skills are some of the best in the league... if not the best.... he is just lazy and can't produce it each week.... cj is not even in his league although he may undertake the same role TJ was going to be given TJ could see things on the football field most others could not.... I don't know how many times I thought what the f$%k TJ and it would set up the play or hit someone on the chest....

TJ could win a brownlow and be remembered as an elite midfielder if he had the work ethic of jones or brock

Think I may have been misunderstood. I wasnt classing CJ up against TJ, just comparing the role CJ could perhaps play. Right now our midfield doesnt have a classy/quick/extraskillful player. Mostly tough, in-and-under ones.

Thoughts?

Anything's possible, but I can't see this coming to fruition for a while yet (if ever).

In the short-term, I'd be happy to see him consolidate a spot in our 22, let alone nailing down a midfield role.

Labelling Chris Johnson in the class of TJ is an insult to TJ. Granted I've been overseas since round 11, but I can hardly see CJ matching TJ's silky kicking in the space of 3 games.

Actually his passing has been very good, probably the best in the team, but you're right, he doesn't have the awareness nor vision of TJ (when TJ is switched on)

No.

The only similarity between them is that they have both chronically underperformed during their time at the Club.

Bravo...hear hear..etc etc..

Chris puts a couple of games together in a fashion that might have us thinking he's actually a handy player and all of a sudden he's a Trapper??. ..I'll have whatever they are !! :huh::lol:

Johnson has a long long way to go yet to convince me that he's really the goods. He has always shown glimpses of soemthing but never really had the package. If he can cobble together something week in week out then he starts being useful otherwise he's just another hair-tearing-frustrating imposter.

He does seem to have the appearance of makign anattempt at stepping up. I hope he does. He actually has some qualities I like...but its getting it allto happen at AFL level that has been his problem. Id actually persist with him for the rest of the year. If he can crack it..we hae a winner.. if he doesnt..he's either trade foddder...or just plain fodder !!

Actually his passing has been very good, probably the best in the team, but you're right, he doesn't have the awareness nor vision of TJ (when TJ is switched on)

Its probably what makes the comparison of CJ and TJ so unfair.

At his best, when TJ got the ball, the game, no matter how contested, tight or hard just seem to open for him to scythe through gaps and to pick out the best and sometimes the most obtuse option with deft and calculated disposal. I think I have seen few footballer with the richness of skill to make a game open up for him like TJ. He had some of the attributes that would have made him elite if he had delivered on these over the majority of his career.

Yet this skill was completely compromised and chronically underdelivered due to a number of character and attitude problems that left TJ a lost opportunity.

Many here have labelled him "class". Class is nothing if it not delivered consistently. At MFC, TJ ended up a talented but frustrating waste IMO. I am glad he was traded.

Once again i agree with you Rhino.

I was sad when we traded him for pick 14. was my fave player and loved watching him play.

But was happy when we picked up Grimes.

Good decission in the end.

Ive been a fan of Cj. Had that awesome pre-season a couple of years ago. But failed to deliver. I dont think he is cut out to be a midfielder for a long time, but in my eyes we need a good running hbf. Hopefully he can back up his great game last week.

At his best, when TJ got the ball, the game, no matter how contested, tight or hard just seem to open for him to scythe through gaps and to pick out the best and sometimes the most obtuse option with deft and calculated disposal. I think I have seen few footballer with the richness of skill to make a game open up for him like TJ. He had some of the attributes that would have made him elite if he had delivered on these over the majority of his career.

slightly off topic, and it is very unfair to make a comparrison at this early stage, but ive seen glimpses of this 'extra time' in morton. occassionally when he has had the ball he manages to make it look like the game is waiting for him to take his kick. he hasnt hit his disposal straps yet, but to me it appears like he may have that extra second that allows him to hit targets once he puts it all together.

Chris Johnson is the ideal trade bait at years end.

If he keeps playing good footy, both Perth clubs will certainly look at him.

And with both clubs definitely looking at a cleanout, we could be in a good position.

Two players I would look at in a CJ deal are Matt Rosa from West Coast, and David Mundy from Freo.

I agree Y_M

With all the talk about rob Warnock I dont believe he will fall through to the PSD without a trade.

So we have to figure what he is worth.

I reckon he is worth an early second round pick of which we will probably have two.

We may need to add another WA player. CJ is one that may be considered.

Guest fatty
I agree Y_M

With all the talk about rob Warnock I dont believe he will fall through to the PSD without a trade.

So we have to figure what he is worth.

I reckon he is worth an early second round pick of which we will probably have two.

We may need to add another WA player. CJ is one that may be considered.

I watched the Bears game for the first time last night. Chris Johnson absolutely blew me away. I have not seen a performance like that from him before and have never had any faith in his ability. He was well and truly in my de-list category for this year. Keep or trade are far better options than discarding. I hope he maintains the form.

He played well... but his direct opponent, Corrie, did a fair bit too, and with more polish would have finished us off.

I'll wait and see how his opponents go before I make a judgement.

Either he'll be a damaging player who gets 30 touches, while his opponent gets 20...

OR

He'll be more of a shut-down player who gets 15 quality ones, while his opponent gets 10.

Either way I'm happy... but in the games where he plays loose, if he DOESN'T get 25+ possessions, the team will pay...

And with both clubs definitely looking at a cleanout, we could be in a good position.

Two players I would look at in a CJ deal are Matt Rosa from West Coast, and David Mundy from Freo.

We hold on to C.J for 5 years while he does nothing and as soon as he starts to show something you want to get rid of him that makes sense. NOT. Why would we want Rosa or Mundy who are playing ordinary football for poor clubs. I'd rather go for players who are starved of opportunities like Prismall and Warnock(not worth a second round pick, PSD or not at all, ruckman don't do anything anymore).

He played well... but his direct opponent, Corrie, did a fair bit too, and with more polish would have finished us off.

I'll wait and see how his opponents go before I make a judgement.

Either he'll be a damaging player who gets 30 touches, while his opponent gets 20...

OR

He'll be more of a shut-down player who gets 15 quality ones, while his opponent gets 10.

Either way I'm happy... but in the games where he plays loose, if he DOESN'T get 25+ possessions, the team will pay...

Beginning to sound like the next Travis.

Which, with Bailey in charge, may not be a bad thing

I like CJ. He reads the play well and has fantastic skills.

We musnt insult Trapper though. CJ is a long way off being a fine midfielder and doesnt have the natural skills TJ did.

Beginning to sound like the next Travis.

Which, with Bailey in charge, may not be a bad thing

Hmmm. Hadn't seen it like that at all... I was making a different point, but I see what you mean.

I wouldn't want to be seen as someone that put CJ in the same boat as Trav though. There aren't too many similarities... and TJ is certainly more talented.

CJ has had 1 fantastic game in his whole career. Let's wait and see how he performs for the rest of the year before we fall in love with him.