VIC Metro vs WA on Fox Sports - Wednesday July 9th

Yze_Magic

Well, now that I have seen Natanui play a full game I pray to the almight Lord Jesus Christ that we finish dead last. Amen!!

Natanui is quite simply the man. He reminds me of a panther the way he cruises around the turf, hunting his prey. His leap at the centre bounces was amazing, and he would have tapped it down Daniel Richs throat about 10 times.

It was a thing of beauty. There were two times when he led from theforwad line, the ball fell short, and he took possession then turned is opponent inside out, spinning on a sixpence. And he is 200cm! One one of these occassions he turned te oppoennt inside out, took off on a quick burst, and kicked a goal. Also took a huge contested mark on the wing. And I havent even mentioned his second efforts, tackling, shepherds.. wow. Ive never seen a player like him!

Daniel Rich was sensational, and I wont complain if we take him with pick 2 or 3, if Natanui is gone.

Jack Watts was quiet, but he has what it takes. He did show a bit.

Michael Hurley is a real intersting one, a legitimate Full Back who rarely gets beaten. He already has the body of an AFL footballer.

My top 5 for the draft.

1. Nicholas Natanui

2. Daniel Rich

3. Jack Watts

4. Michael Hurley

5. Chris Yarran

How many marks did Natanui take contested or otherwise above his head?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took 3 hours off today to get down there. And I'm glad I did.

Naitinui was a standout. He's excellent athletic wise, he works ultra hard. As Y_M said above his like having a panther on the football field. His a tall midfielder who can ruck, what more could we ask for?

Rich was good. Hes very composed and has great skills. Watts was okay, a bit of a dissapointment actually. He tried though.

Hurley's a good old fashioned Full back. Frequently beat his man.

I took 3 hours off today to get down there. And I'm glad I did.

Naitinui was a standout. He's excellent athletic wise, he works ultra hard. As Y_M said above his like having a panther on the football field. His a tall midfielder who can ruck, what more could we ask for?

If his skills are as good as a midfielder, great.

In addition to concerns over his footy nous, there also seem to be question marks over his skills and marking (although people have mentioned a good grab on the win today).

IMO he needs to have very nice skills or be a strong mark, but it's no good to have a great athlete if his skills aren't up to it and he can't mark well.

Just finished watching the game and i would still take Watts with our first pick. He had terrible delivery today and WA players seemed to dropping back in front of his space all game, he had limited one on one contests, or leading opportunities. He did take a couple of nice pack grabs and also competed to bring the ball to ground, seems to time his jumps very well. I still beleive his upside is huge due to his body development, and the fact basketball has been his No.1 sport up until recently.

Natanui is obviously freak athlete, but i was not completely sold on him. When you grow up playing and watching basketball you see freak athletcism on a regular basis, it doesn't always translate to being a good player. For me, Nat may fall under this catergory.

Rich was sensational early, but floated out of the game when checked more closely. So if he is clearly not a standout, then the KP player is the one i would go for.

Other players that impressed me were Hurley, Banner and Vickery.

I do not think Nat is the best and I'd take a cooney or a hodge over him at 1 if all were available.

Don't forget with Watt he is bottom age, so can still hold on until next year so if we do drat him he is a year behind nat and rich.

Watt for me if he is available whatever number we have in the draft.

I watched the game today, it didn't provide a standout like I was hoping. Rich will be a champion, but I think we need a Ruckman/Key Position.

If it means anything... was listening to SEN just prior to the game, and they were interviewing the Geelong recruitment bloke. When asked who he would pick if he had pick #1 at his disposal, didn't hesitate for a second and said: "JACK WATTS".

The way I look at it is... would Melbourne love to have Nick Riewoldt in the team for a premiership assault in 3-4yrs? I would... and this version can kick straight. LoL. While Naitanui looked incredible with some stuff, he looked really poor in others. I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him, but he is a massive risk I think.

Just finished watching the game and i would still take Watts with our first pick. He did take a couple of nice pack grabs and also competed to bring the ball to ground, seems to time his jumps very well. I still beleive his upside is huge due to his body development, and the fact basketball has been his No.1 sport up until recently.

Natanui. When you grow up playing and watching basketball you see freak athletcism on a regular basis, it doesn't always translate to being a good player. For me, Nat may fall under this catergory.

Rich was sensational early, but floated out of the game when checked more closely. So if he is clearly not a standout, then the KP player is the one i would go for. Other players that impressed me were Hurley, Banner and Vickery.

I agree with your thoughts 'Jerry Lundergard'. I saw the three games today, it was a good day. Lots of talent out their to pick from this draft.

Vickery, most impressed with this guy for the last 2 weeks, great in the ruck, & around the ground, & a great mark up forward.

T Lynch, a very reassuring sort of footballer, just goes & gets the thing, in the air or on the ground. Physically strong & plays that way.

Zaharakis, was everywhere today, great kick, gets the ball, supplies teammates, I want one around P20.

Banner, hard worker getting the ball & running allover (strange run style) unfashionable but effective. 15-25

Hurley, just solid all game, a great kick.

Watts, mobility, mobility, mobility,a bottom age kid with all the athletic requirements, no mean streak? Top 3 pick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Naitanui, - I wasn't overly impressed by him today, he stumbled trying to bounce the ball on one occaision (unsure ball handling) causing him to turn the ball over, - poor kicking (short pass to teammate, very poor). Great athlete, not yet a footballer.

Rich, Absolutely burnt first half all over the ground. 3rd Qtr went out of the game, improved last Qtr. Has a heap of class by hand & foot, prodigous kick, sets up play, uses the ball well, Top 3 pick...

Yarran, a strongly built f/flanker - mid, went well, got involved in play a lot, not sure which pick he'll go.

Deboer, tried hard to get into play, I thought was overshadowed by rich, not many WA mids shone, VicMet were so even allover the park.

VicCountry v Tas

MRobinson, burnt in the first Qtr, leadership allover then went quiet, Tas were holding their own in the 1st, then SA took over the game.

Cornelious, a kid worth grabbing if around at 17 or 20.

Thats all I can think of at the moment..big day.

Nata has alot of upside, but (flame away morons) currently he isnt a pinch of [censored] on a footballer. He won alot of taps today from his freakish leap, but around the ground he was woeful. I actually lold at him a few times and thought to myself how the [censored] is this guy the supposed #1 pick?! He is a freakish athelete, but he isnt a footballer. He doesnt know where to run to get possessions, and he doesnt read the play around the ground all that well, and his skills are average. He is 4-5 years away from having any impact at AFL level, and that's assuming it all works out and he puts it all together.

Rich was great. He is Luke Hodge mach 2. Can be abit lazy and doesnt have elite fitness, but his skills and smarts are elite. Will be a great player for whoever picks him up. Unfortunately our needs are elsewhere.

Watts had an average day due to poor supply, but he still showed why he is being talked about as a #1 pick also. His marking is strong, his leading is strong, he is quick off the mark and he has good skills. He is still skinny, and with abit more size to him he will be a great forward who will cause match up horrors. Abit of Reiwolt style player in that he has strength and agility. We need a tall forward, and he is it. He won the Larke medal for best player of the champs, and our very own Cale Morton won it last year. Lets make it two in a row!

Hurley was great. Best defender Ive seen at that level, but he wont go #1 because he is a defender. Whoever gets him though has a Scarlet/Lake combo for the next 10+ years.

Hartlett from SA also looked great. He is nearly on par with Rich IMO. He has great pace and skills, and you would think he'd round out the top 5.

IMO, we should go hard for Warnock whether we have to trade or get him PSD. We get him, we take Watts with our pick, then look for one of the speedy mids with our late teens pick.

I think if we get pick 1, and Freo have pick 3, we should look to trade pick 1 to pick 3 plus Warnock. They want Rich or Naita, and they might not get either. Give them #1 pick so they are free to choose one of the two, then West Coast will take the other. Neither will draft Watts as he doesnt want to leave Victoria and is roughly on par with the other two anyway. Then hopefully we'd get Warnock, Watts, a speedy mid with late teens pick, and save out PSD pick for bargaining or the best player around. Wishful thinking I know, but could be done.

Nata has alot of upside, but (flame away morons) currently he isnt a pinch of [censored] on a footballer. He won alot of taps today from his freakish leap, but around the ground he was woeful. I actually lold at him a few times and thought to myself how the [censored] is this guy the supposed #1 pick?! He is a freakish athelete, but he isnt a footballer. He doesnt know where to run to get possessions, and he doesnt read the play around the ground all that well, and his skills are average. He is 4-5 years away from having any impact at AFL level, and that's assuming it all works out and he puts it all together.

Rich was great. He is Luke Hodge mach 2. Can be abit lazy and doesnt have elite fitness, but his skills and smarts are elite. Will be a great player for whoever picks him up. Unfortunately our needs are elsewhere.

Watts had an average day due to poor supply, but he still showed why he is being talked about as a #1 pick also. His marking is strong, his leading is strong, he is quick off the mark and he has good skills. He is still skinny, and with abit more size to him he will be a great forward who will cause match up horrors. Abit of Reiwolt style player in that he has strength and agility. We need a tall forward, and he is it. He won the Larke medal for best player of the champs, and our very own Cale Morton won it last year. Lets make it two in a row!

Hurley was great. Best defender Ive seen at that level, but he wont go #1 because he is a defender. Whoever gets him though has a Scarlet/Lake combo for the next 10+ years.

Hartlett from SA also looked great. He is nearly on par with Rich IMO. He has great pace and skills, and you would think he'd round out the top 5.

IMO, we should go hard for Warnock whether we have to trade or get him PSD. We get him, we take Watts with our pick, then look for one of the speedy mids with our late teens pick.

I think if we get pick 1, and Freo have pick 3, we should look to trade pick 1 to pick 3 plus Warnock. They want Rich or Naita, and they might not get either. Give them #1 pick so they are free to choose one of the two, then West Coast will take the other. Neither will draft Watts as he doesnt want to leave Victoria and is roughly on par with the other two anyway. Then hopefully we'd get Warnock, Watts, a speedy mid with late teens pick, and save out PSD pick for bargaining or the best player around. Wishful thinking I know, but could be done.

I could see West Coast or Freo getting Watts- What is WC really missing a classy Forward Freo are missing a lot but again Pav Watts and Tarrant(as a 3rd tall) would be a very handy Forward line

Nata has alot of upside, but (flame away morons) currently he isnt a pinch of [censored] on a footballer. He won alot of taps today from his freakish leap, but around the ground he was woeful. I actually lold at him a few times and thought to myself how the [censored] is this guy the supposed #1 pick?!.

Wait a sec.

Did you not see Natanui lead up to the 50 metre arc, take the ball cleanly on the bounce, turn Michael Hurley inside out, then fire a 30 metre handball to a teammate streaming directly toward goal, who duly converted?

People are bagging him cos he didnt dominate. Well, who gives a [censored]?

newsflash - HE DIDNT NEED TO DOMINATE.

He just had to show flashes of what he is capable of, and from what I saw he will be a once in a generation player. And there were plenty of flashed from him by the way, as he ws one of WA's best.

Wait a sec.

Did you not see Natanui lead up to the 50 metre arc, take the ball cleanly on the bounce, turn Michael Hurley inside out, then fire a 30 metre handball to a teammate streaming directly toward goal, who duly converted?

He just had to show flashes of what he is capable of, and from what I saw he will be a once in a generation player. And there were plenty of flashed from him by the way, as he ws one of WA's best.

Ive been watching him throughout the carnival and i couldnt see anything that suggested he will be worthy of a number 1 pick. THe only thing he has is freakish athleticism.

If thats all we are looking for why not pick Watts? Watts is just as quick, has a great vertical leap, is amazingly agile and is good at ground level too. He is nearly as athletic as Naitatui. Except Watts has knowledge of the game, can read the play, and has skills.

I cant think of any reason to pick up Naita ahead of Watts IMO

Wait a sec.

You mean the same guy who DIRECTLY COST HIS TEAM 3 GOALS THROUGH BASIC ERRORS just off the top of my head? The same guy who fluffed basic 25-30 metre passes under no pressure? The same guy who fumbled bouncing and ran straight into a guy probably half his size and got pwned? Yeah, that guy!

He didnt need to dominate? He didnt because he's not good enough. If he's a #1 pick he should be at least in the top few players on the ground and having a big positive impact for his team. He did neither. If we're going to have #1 pick, I want a guaranteed star, not a speculative superstar. We probably wont have another #1 pick for over 10 years again. Best make good use of it and pick someone who is going to be a guaranteed star. No doubting he is an athletic freak and COULD be something special. BUT, in my opinion he doesnt look like he has the smarts to put it all together. He struggles with the basics and doesnt have footy smarts. He's an athlete, not a footballer. I dont think it's worth the risk personally.

Hopefully we manage to poach Warnock, and then take Watts. Then we'll have got ourselves a gun young ruckman and gun forward in one hit.

watts was very disappointing. After seeing him today he was a complete let down. He tried to do wayyyy too much when he had the ball, he probably only had about 8 or 9 touches, he constantly fell to ground and did nothing to suggest that he is worth even a first rounder. If it wasnt for his hype we would have no idea who he was judging by this game. I am officially scared that we will pick him up instead of someone like Rich who had class stamped all over him.

Atleast naitanui could get his hands on the ball. Watts couldn't find it. Potential is a scary word. Brock Mclean v Colin Sylvia...Rich v Watts..i know who i want

You mean the same guy who DIRECTLY COST HIS TEAM 3 GOALS THROUGH BASIC ERRORS just off the top of my head? The same guy who fluffed basic 25-30 metre passes under no pressure? The same guy who fumbled bouncing and ran straight into a guy probably half his size and got pwned? Yeah, that guy!

He didnt need to dominate? He didnt because he's not good enough. If he's a #1 pick he should be at least in the top few players on the ground and having a big positive impact for his team. He did neither. If we're going to have #1 pick, I want a guaranteed star, not a speculative superstar. We probably wont have another #1 pick for over 10 years again. Best make good use of it and pick someone who is going to be a guaranteed star. No doubting he is an athletic freak and COULD be something special. BUT, in my opinion he doesnt look like he has the smarts to put it all together. He struggles with the basics and doesnt have footy smarts. He's an athlete, not a footballer. I dont think it's worth the risk personally.

No player is perfect.

Especially a 200cm Fijiian who just started playing footy.

He has some flaws that need to be worked on, of course.

But the finished product will be something not of this earth, I just hope it is in a Demon jumper.

No player is perfect.

Especially a 200cm Fijiian who just started playing footy.

He has some flaws that need to be worked on, of course.

But the finished product will be something not of this earth, I just hope it is in a Demon jumper.

your a dead set idiot, i bet this was the first time you have ever seen him play

natanui stuggles to bounce the football let alone kick one!

i think he is alright, but you make him out to be gods gift to earth. you are an ignorant stubborn poster on this site

who has no respect. natanui will not go number one. Watts will go number one or Rich. Natanui has not lived up to the number one draftee helm during the national championships and will for that reason not go number one.

If his kicking isnt good now it wont be good in the years to come, there are things he can work on to be a better footballer such as making space and contesting the right situation to many times he falls on his feet trying to play a small crumbing roll. He does have many suspect areas to his game, i am sure he will improve on but if i had the top two picks it would definately be rich and watts. Natanui will not go number one, we dont want him.

It seems like this might be a good year to come anywhere between 14th and 16th.

Watts for the fact we need about 3 KP forwards. Bate plays a different game, Dunn is tagging in the midfield at the moment and Newton is frustrating.

Rich because we have a solid, but not-so-classy midfield... McLean and Jones are starters, and we have good second stringers like Bartram, Moloney and Valenti... With Jmac leaving perhaps one, maybe two really good mids are what's called for. Also Moloney is always injured, and the jury's still out on Valenti.

Nitanui... well I guess it comes down to Warnock. We have PJ as a player that may become the league's best backup ruckman who does jobs around the ground, and we have a few young ruck talents coming through. If we can have a good ruck division, who are a presence on the ground, then we can afford to go one of the other guys ahead of NicNat.

I thin everyone (except Y_M, of course) agrees there is a LOT of risk with NicNat. Yes his physical attributes are astounding, and he makes you think of Franklin... but Buddy was always a great footballer as well. Nicknat is not, and will never be. Also he's a Perth boy. May want to go home one day...

Hopefully we manage to poach Warnock, and then take Watts. Then we'll have got ourselves a gun young ruckman and gun forward in one hit.

You've based your opinion on one game. Have you seen any other games he has played this season? Perhaps in the WAFL? Statements like "He didn't becasue he's not good enough" are naive and borderline moronic.

You've based your opinion on one game. Have you seen any other games he has played this season? Perhaps in the WAFL? Statements like "He didn't becasue he's not good enough" are naive and borderline moronic.

Agree. I have never seen so much "expertise" poured out on just one viewing of certain players. Its no wonder knowledgeable recruiters spend so much time at a number of games and review many hours of footage.

Too much soapbox chest beating for mine here.

Agree. I have never seen so much "expertise" poured out on just one viewing of certain players. Its no wonder knowledgeable recruiters spend so much time at a number of games and review many hours of footage.

Too much soapbox chest beating for mine here.

On an anonymous web forum.... ppppphhhssssaaawww

to add my two bobs worth...was on an a plane so i missed the match but i have seen lynch play live for hailebury and i wouldnt take him in the first round...will be a good player but i dont think he is right for melbourne at the moment.

to add my two bobs worth...was on an a plane so i missed the match but i have seen lynch play live for hailebury and i wouldnt take him in the first round...will be a good player but i dont think he is right for melbourne at the moment.

agreed

also he is a deadbet readhead