Ideas, Initiatives, Left Field Thinking....

Cards13

Ok we have had some cracking ideas from posters on here and other forums I've seen over the last 10 or so months, how about we put some more ideas to the MFC to differentiate ourselves from what other clubs are doing. On game day for the supporters, What our players can doing in the community, Advertising ourselves differently in the oversaturated footy environment, Fan involvement on game days etc etc. Basically any ideas that you can think of, steal from other codes countries or businesses that will potentially bring more supporters to our club. (Winning is not a new idea either...)

1) (Borrowed from Demonology) The Presidents game day address; Can we have it broadcast into the G at home games for the members to see on the big screens?

2) (Similar to one from the $4.5mill debt thread) Fans can pay to spend the day with an ex-champion, or not so champion of the club, on match day. You get to meet them on match day, go to presidents luncheon or something similar then watch the match with the. Generate some revenue for the club, fan interest etc. I'd pay to hang with Phil Gilbert or a Craig Nettlebeck or a Shane Woey!

3) (Borrowed from the $4.5mill debt thread) Fans get to pay to go on the preseason camp for a night or two. You are assigned a player and you get to participate in some of the preseason training with the players. Team meetings etc etc. Gives the fans a feel for the whole process and raises $$ for club. Love this idea!!

4) Dress as you Favorite player game. Roll up to the G as you favorite Ex-Demons player. Prizes for best dressed etc etc

Copliments on your thread.

I think something MFC needs to look at is how to generate revenues from sources outside of Melbourne supporters, attract a new happenning/untapped crowd.

1. Have the first openly Gay Player in the AFL - recruit Carson from [censored] Eye as a silky skilled ball magnet.

2. Recruit Ben Cousins - the cash will flow from unexpected sources of income.

3. Celebrate our Irish connection by letting the players get trashed with fans on St Paddy's day - Jonesy to be a Lapricorn.

4. Make our players household names by memorable off field performances - recruit Fevola to do TV ads like the wallabies did for Bundy Rum.

5. Attract publicity worldwide, by slaughtering a goat as a ritual for Satin before the start of home games (untill we get to unfurl the FLAG).

Guest Colossus_2000

Ha ha ha.... Lapricorn..... :)

But the first round of suggestions have merrit. Not too sure on dress up day though....

I was thinking of a good way to get young kids more interested. i remember when i was young my dad took me to a training session for the dees and got to watch up front have a kick on the ground afterwards and then they allowd the kids into the rooms after training to meet the players and get some autographs and photos ect. I still have the photo of me and garry Lyon! haha

anyway i thought we could have a father son type night where dads, or mothers for that matter, could bring their kids to training and then meet all the players after the game. If they do it 2 or 3 times a year and can get an extra 10 or 20 kids per session hooked on the demons then thats the sort of thing that we need. We need to get young kids in early who are going to be life long members.

I was thinking of a good way to get young kids more interested. i remember when i was young my dad took me to a training session for the dees and got to watch up front have a kick on the ground afterwards and then they allowd the kids into the rooms after training to meet the players and get some autographs and photos ect. I still have the photo of me and garry Lyon! haha

anyway i thought we could have a father son type night where dads, or mothers for that matter, could bring their kids to training and then meet all the players after the game. If they do it 2 or 3 times a year and can get an extra 10 or 20 kids per session hooked on the demons then thats the sort of thing that we need. We need to get young kids in early who are going to be life long members.

That is a really good idea!!

After were all done 'brainstorming' someone should make a list and contact the club cause otherwise this is pointless as the club may never hear of these fantastic ideas.

But the first round of suggestions have merrit. Not too sure on dress up day though....

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was the 45/50 yr old bloke dressed up as Gary Pert in an old 'Roys jumper after the MFC vs Freo game earlier this year. The jumper, shorts and footy sox were circa 80's and the bloke was about 15 kilos over fitting the jumper and shorts.....

Ahh nice one Don!!! Get the kiddies involved. I like it. THats one... come on folks lets get more up and running

One of the funniest things I've ever seen was the 45/50 yr old bloke dressed up as Gary Pert in an old 'Roys jumper after the MFC vs Freo game earlier this year. The jumper, shorts and footy sox were circa 80's and the bloke was about 15 kilos over fitting the jumper and shorts.....

...and he wasn't the only person with Fitzroy apparel. I still don't know why.

4. Make our players household names by memorable off field performances - recruit Fevola to do TV ads like the wallabies did for Bundy Rum.

some great ideas, and this one might have the most merit. lets offer to do some ads for our sponsers. you rarely or never saw mfc players in ads for LG or iprimus or other sponsors, except perhaps for printed ads in mfc publicatinos. why dont we look to fidn sponsors who are also going to pay to advertise in other sources and try to gain exposure through that way. ie TAC with the filth.

One idea that has played around in my mind is that some supporters can get themsleves organised and form a sporting club.

?!?!

This club would be you're typical active, go and do stuff sporting group, and would field teams in very small, local but also disproportionately visible activities such as -

Dragon Boat racing (yes, you can get your boat decked out in Demon colours)

Sailing (a bold red and blue mainsail in the inner harbour would be visible from orbit)

Fun runs and team cycling (a team running or riding together, again in bold Red & Blue, would stick right out from your usual pack of runners in old tshirts, that's for sure)

Pause for a moment and imagine if twenty or thirty runners were in one of those fun run crowds in full red and blue guernseys, maybe spread across a few smaller teams competing at different levels.

Every one of these is practical, cheap, highly visible and fun for participants. It would probably be pretty easy to get a couple of club greats involved, too, which would add both publicty and a bit more fun/glory for participants, too.

It can be done. But I'm stuck up here in Canberra so who is gonna get some leadership going down in the homeland?

Edit: bizarrely I forgot to mention just having a kick in the park. So that too.

Its pretty simple really

MFC is a business full stop

If your outgoings are greater than your incomings you go broke full stop

I laugh at people who suggest you need a business background to work that out

where the problem lies is the application and action of a BUSINESS PLAN

If you lose money then you need to change your business plan

MFC seems to be reactive instead of proactive

Its like playing catch up football ...............winning isnt possible

I would assume that their would be no player on BIG dollars (not even the coaches)

Our supporter base is poor by AFL standards even if we have had our best result to date

Being Proactive is working smarter

Sponsors are business people and for their dollar input they want a return otherwise why invest

they want to see BUMS ON SEATS

So does the AFL

1) (Borrowed from Demonology) The Presidents game day address; Can we have it broadcast into the G at home games for the members to see on the big screens?

A great idea. Possibly it will rob some income from the club (I am going to the presidents luncheon this Sunday just to hear the address), however the benefits to the greater majority may outweigh this.

2) (Similar to one from the $4.5mill debt thread) Fans can pay to spend the day with an ex-champion, or not so champion of the club, on match day. You get to meet them on match day, go to presidents luncheon or something similar then watch the match with the. Generate some revenue for the club, fan interest etc. I'd pay to hang with Phil Gilbert or a Craig Nettlebeck or a Shane Woey!

No offence to the guys mentioned, but would you really pay $400+ to spend time with these guys?

3) (Borrowed from the $4.5mill debt thread) Fans get to pay to go on the preseason camp for a night or two. You are assigned a player and you get to participate in some of the preseason training with the players. Team meetings etc etc. Gives the fans a feel for the whole process and raises $$ for club. Love this idea!!

Would need to make a MINIMUM $100k+ to justify disrupting a preseason IMO. I know we are after every $ we can get, but the line has to be drawn here surely. (100 people @ 1K?)

4) Dress as you Favorite player game. Roll up to the G as you favorite Ex-Demons player. Prizes for best dressed etc etc

Go for it!

Hate, being a knocker, but they are my opinions. Presidents luncheon address is a great idea. We somehow have to make our home games feel like home games. The shorts colour is just about the only way to tell currently!

Copliments on your thread.

I think something MFC needs to look at is how to generate revenues from sources outside of Melbourne supporters, attract a new happenning/untapped crowd.

1. Have the first openly Gay Player in the AFL - recruit Carson from [censored] Eye as a silky skilled ball magnet.

2. Recruit Ben Cousins - the cash will flow from unexpected sources of income.

3. Celebrate our Irish connection by letting the players get trashed with fans on St Paddy's day - Jonesy to be a Lapricorn.

5. Attract publicity worldwide, by slaughtering a goat as a ritual for Satin before the start of home games (untill we get to unfurl the FLAG).

Gold ;)

Its pretty simple really

MFC is a business full stop

If your outgoings are greater than your incomings you go broke full stop

I laugh at people who suggest you need a business background to work that out

where the problem lies is the application and action of a BUSINESS PLAN

If you lose money then you need to change your business plan

MFC seems to be reactive instead of proactive

Its like playing catch up football ...............winning isnt possible

I would assume that their would be no player on BIG dollars (not even the coaches)

Our supporter base is poor by AFL standards even if we have had our best result to date

Being Proactive is working smarter

Sponsors are business people and for their dollar input they want a return otherwise why invest

they want to see BUMS ON SEATS

So does the AFL

The idea of this thread was to come up with ideas to get bums on seats not tell us what we already know.

By the way, our Total Player Payments is quite high due to our ageing old "stars", It'll be alot lower next year.

What about advertising on here and Demonology?

With the profits being donated to the club.

I for one hate ads on websites, they're everywhere, but if they're going to benefit my club, I would not complain.

We need to look into new growth streams and get more people supporting the club. The China idea is a good one. there is a huge influx of students every year and im sure they would want to be a part of the community. What better way then to support a team in the footy mad Melbourne.

Like the China push we need to look into what groups of people are coming to Melbourne. What about the Sudanese, kiwis, american or even as another poster said the gay community. Large groups, communities who may want to be apart of the Melbourne fold who could be our bums on seats. Get in touch with these groups and invite them to games, get them jumpers, hats, or scarves.

Kids are a major part to the future but too many kids in Melbourne have dads who barrack for the filth and will usually follow in the footsteps.

Another idea might be to make more babies, two or three for the team maybe!

1) Not bad. I loved seeing the team sing the song on the Freo game. Making the fans feel more involved would be a great way to gain, and more importantly maintain, support from members.

2) I like this one. Doesn't cost anyone anthing. The player gets paid, the fan is happy, the club gets money... win, win, win.

3) It's a good idea, but no. The preseason cannot be interrupted for any reason. We ask a lot of the players already, and that's one period that I'd like to see them left to their own devices.

4) Sure. But how many people will actually get involved? It's not like we have the Brucey Doulls that are so distinct... Maybe Jim Stynes with a cap, or Gar Lyon with a lot of faux-hair...

And post of the week goes to Mr angryfijian...

We need to look into new growth streams and get more people supporting the club. The China idea is a good one. there is a huge influx of students every year and im sure they would want to be a part of the community. What better way then to support a team in the footy mad Melbourne.

Like the China push we need to look into what groups of people are coming to Melbourne. What about the Sudanese, kiwis, american or even as another poster said the gay community. Large groups, communities who may want to be apart of the Melbourne fold who could be our bums on seats. Get in touch with these groups and invite them to games, get them jumpers, hats, or scarves.

Kids are a major part to the future but too many kids in Melbourne have dads who barrack for the filth and will usually follow in the footsteps.

Another idea might be to make more babies, two or three for the team maybe!

The China strategy was just slightly misplaced - Tianjin?!

Better targeting would be the Straits Chinese who have significant family and community connectins with Australian Chinese already, especially Hong Kong.

Of Singapore's 4 million people, about 200,000 visit Australia each year - that's a massive one in twenty people and a good indication of just how many connections there are. Hong Kong is a similar story. The smaller base population and the higher proportion of visitors to Australia would allow a lot more presence and impact for our investment.

Particularly with the 'second base' at Casey on the cards, actively reaching out to migrant communities is a very good option - Casey is the top area in Melbourne for new migrants (persons born overseas and/or who speak a language other than English at home). This demographic is also new to football and not attached to other clubs, so the AFL HQ would be delighted if we made it our goal to involve them.

It would also be a very positive bit of community building.

Let's leverage the 'Melbourne' name. Or is that 'Brand' in todayspeak?

1. An alliance/arrangement with the Melbourne City Council. We are the club of the city, after all. I'd love to see Melbourne Town Hall decked out with the Red and Blue, selling Demon merchandise.
  2. What about the Zoo? MFC membership gets you free entry into Melbourne Zoo?
  3. Likewise Melbourne Museum.
Anything we can do to link Melbourne with the MFC must be good. What's our brand? The city is our brand!

I think the Club should keep pushing to get people new to Melbourne (the area) involved, as footy is a great 'in' when it comes to the culture of this place. It gives you a talking point etc.

A great idea. Possibly it will rob some income from the club (I am going to the presidents luncheon this Sunday just to hear the address), however the benefits to the greater majority may outweigh this.

It may also get more people interested in attending.

Let's leverage the 'Melbourne' name. Or is that 'Brand' in todayspeak?
  1. An alliance/arrangement with the Melbourne City Council. We are the club of the city, after all. I'd love to see Melbourne Town Hall decked out with the Red and Blue, selling Demon merchandise.
  2. What about the Zoo? MFC membership gets you free entry into Melbourne Zoo?
  3. Likewise Melbourne Museum.
Anything we can do to link Melbourne with the MFC must be good. What's our brand? The city is our brand!

Demonised that sounds like good ideas

How about red and blue flags all over the city on lightposts?

3. Celebrate our Irish connection by letting the players get trashed with fans on St Paddy's day - Valenti* to be a Lapricorn.

:lol:

No offence to the guys mentioned, but would you really pay $400+ to spend time with these guys?

Would need to make a MINIMUM $100k+ to justify disrupting a preseason IMO. I know we are after every $ we can get, but the line has to be drawn here surely. (100 people @ 1K?)

Go for it!

Hate, being a knocker, but they are my opinions. Presidents luncheon address is a great idea. We somehow have to make our home games feel like home games. The shorts colour is just about the only way to tell currently!

Gold ;)

Mate ideas are meant to be discussed and thrown around to make saure said idea has merit or not.

I was not being to serious with the mentioned names. It would be more along the lines of the best and most loved players.

It could be a seperate weekend, not a preseason weekend. Something to allow the people putting up the cash to feel like they are part of it.