Casey Up-date

demon3165

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's now almost 4 months since the OP, and a few more months prior to that when Chris Connolly first raised a Casey presence.

Nothing much seems to happen, although our local paper this week said the Demons are making their debut at Casey Fields on 1 November:

http://www.senews.com.au/story/64680

Demons to land at Casey Fields

It also seems that Casey Council might be looking elsewhere (concurrent or alternate?) for an elite sporting team:

http://www.senews.com.au/story/64756

Casey pitches for A-League

Hopefully MFC will get this sorted quickly.

It's now almost 4 months since the OP, and a few more months prior to that when Chris Connolly first raised a Casey presence.

Nothing much seems to happen, although our local paper this week said the Demons are making their debut at Casey Fields on 1 November:

It also seems that Casey Council might be looking elsewhere (concurrent or alternate?) for an elite sporting team:

"Hopefully MFC will get this sorted quickly."

I don't see any problem with Melbourne Heart being there - we have confirmed our presence, and Soccer is competition to AFL wherever we are - 2 strong football codes will give rteal prominence to sport in the Casey area.

We need to cement our connection NOW with Casey Scorps.

I'm not too worried about that, but the big thing is that we make sure that Casey remains our training base during the summer and that if/when Melbourne Heart put their base of operations in there they pay for either better facilities that WE can use as well or we make them pay us for the ability to use the facilities that we have pumped money into.

Casey is our best chance to get a suburban base of operations and a community alliance (like what Hawthorn have done with Waverly Park), i still think it's important that we maintain our link to the city by having season training in the Olympic Park precinct but the fact is we're not going to gain many supporters and members through the status quo.

Why hasn't the website had any news on this. Is it confirmed? Have we actually signed? Is it being downplayed due to the residents concerns with the deal?

Regarding an A-League team at Casey Fields, I don't see that it would negatively impact on us.

I'm pretty sure there were plans to have a soccer 'Centre of Excellence' at Casey Fields anyway (I think it's referred to in passing in one of the articles).

Fwiw:

Mr Connolly said the players would be training at Casey Fields on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 1 November and then every Tuesday when next year’s season begins.

Regarding an A-League team at Casey Fields, I don't see that it would negatively impact on us.

I'm pretty sure there were plans to have a soccer 'Centre of Excellence' at Casey Fields anyway (I think it's referred to in passing in one of the articles).

Fun times.

There is...of sorts.. Accordingto the Grand Plan... they are looking to develop all sorts of things. Amongst this is common infrastructure. So the more things thathappenthere thebeter in many ways. Would also add to the argument for a Station !!

Fwiw:

Melbourne Demons

Melbourne Heart

Every "HEART" beats true for the RED and the BLUE.... ;)

Is there a connection here guys?? :rolleyes:

I don't see any negativity about this either.....as long as we get in first ;)

Melbourne Demons

Melbourne Heart

Every "HEART" beats true for the RED and the BLUE.... ;)

Is there a connection here guys?? :rolleyes:

I don't see any negativity about this either.....as long as we get in first ;)

It will have no impact on us - our ground is a football ground (don't forget it is the home of the Casey Scorpions) not a soccer pitch. If you can recall the site - it is huge and has different sporting clubs located in different areas.

Any deal made with a soccer club will be independent of our deal, so no worries there.

Our biggest concern is the delay in signing the agreement - it's delaying the commencement of building works, which in turn will keep our club operating at different sites for longer. Not good for unity and convenience!

My comment may have been misinterpreted. I'm not concerned at all about Melbourne Heart at Casey Fields - I'm more concerned about lack of a formal announcement about MFC at Casey Fields (ie more than Chris Connolly [bless his enthusiasm] saying so). Same concerns as Roost It, although I don't think it's the residents' views about the deal that would be slowing it down - the Council has already made a decision knowing that a small vocal minority is against it for political reasons.

Why hasn't the website had any news on this. Is it confirmed? Have we actually signed? Is it being downplayed due to the residents concerns with the deal?

No, I want MFC to get the deal signed and an announcement made pronto.

My comment may have been misinterpreted. I'm not concerned at all about Melbourne Heart at Casey Fields - I'm more concerned about lack of a formal announcement about MFC at Casey Fields (ie more than Chris Connolly [bless his enthusiasm] saying so). Same concerns as Roost It, although I don't think it's the residents' views about the deal that would be slowing it down - the Council has already made a decision knowing that a small vocal minority is against it for political reasons.

No, I want MFC to get the deal signed and an announcement made pronto.

do u actually go for melbourne?

and do u think melbourne can really catch the hearts of casey folk?

do u actually go for melbourne?

and do u think melbourne can really catch the hearts of casey folk?

A couple of good questions; no and yes.

I saw a post on here some time ago, that suggested I supported St Kilda. They were quite correct. I am a member of St Kilda (have been for years), and I was disappointed that St KFC elected to establish their new base at Frankston (now Seaford) instead of at Casey Fields. They would have had a great arrangement, being at the same ground as their aligned team, based in a major growth area full of young families and being part of a development which will be the sporting capital of SE Melbourne. They blew it.

As a local resident I am really keen to see an AFL team based in Casey, and in fact in the expectation of MFC's likely establishment at Casey Fields I actually took out a membership. I hope I wasn't too premature!

MFC has become my second team, and I will go to quite a few games.

I am also a Casey Scorpions member, and hopefully the Scorps and MFC get an alignment sorted out soon. I go to most of the Scorps matches as well, and hope that lots of MFC supporters will come along this year to support the Scorps if the alignment gets done.

In answer to the second question, it will be an absolute bonanza if it is done properly, and over an extended period. Many people moving into Casey are at a time in their life cycle where they are putting down new roots, often as a young couple (don't believe that the nuclear family is dying out - it's alive and well in Casey). They are at a time of transition - it's a vulnerable time (in the best sense of the word). Ripe for the picking!

Lots of young kids equals great opportunity to make connections through schools, local clubs etc.

I saw the Council report that had all of the community programs to be run by MFC, and the plan is to get into the schools, clubs, businesses and to work closely with the Council.

I strongly believe that MFC will do a better job than St Kilda would ever have done in engaging with the local community. To some extent it has to - its future relies on getting a strong geographic support base (as well as continuing to appeal to the broad church).

An alignment with the Scorpions will reinforce the local conmmectin as well.

I am very hopeful that MFC can make a huge impact in the local community, and benefit greatly. After all, they're my second team now!

PS - I have spoken to many people in the local community, and almost without exception they are very keen on having MFC at Casey Fields (even though, like me, they already barrack for another team).

wow

thanks for the reply

i have a renewed confidence in this

however, question 3:

do you think that there is a chance, that in maybe 10 years down the track, you or people like you might go for melbourne as your number 1 team because you feel a connection? do u think people are likely to change teams?

and do u think that the percentage of kids that chose the dees as the club they go for will go up, knowing that melbourne train in casey?

and also, a scorpians related Q...do u think when melbourne gets jack watts he wont get much of a change at FF/CHF because there are already established players there (a bit like at Sandy?)

in an ideal world- the afl will preserve suburban VFA footy, and make the VFL a seperate competition that doesn't have afl alignments.

follow geelong and collingwood and have our ownr reserves side in 10-15 years!! bring back the Reserves!

wow

thanks for the reply

however, question 3:

do you think that there is a chance, that in maybe 10 years down the track, you or people like you might go for melbourne as your number 1 team because you feel a connection? do u think people are likely to change teams?

and do u think that the percentage of kids that chose the dees as the club they go for will go up, knowing that melbourne train in casey?

and also, a scorpians related Q...do u think when melbourne gets jack watts he wont get much of a change at FF/CHF because there are already established players there (a bit like at Sandy?)

I don't know if many adults change teams, but kids are often influenced by matters outside the family (ie: which team is doing well, which team their best mate goes for etc...) and often end up following a team that their parent's don't. Some parents also don't follow a particular team (they may have half heartedly done so when little, but let it go as they matured) and can be won over if their kids are (someone has to drive the little darlings to games!) - these groups are ripe for a club to move in and establish roots in the local community. I am sure there are others that someone else can come up with.

It will take time to build a bigger supporter base, but obviously the Dees are willing to invest in the future.

It's a bit like the draft really, most of them you don't expect to be useful straight away, but hope that in a couple of years they are winners.

wow

thanks for the reply

however, question 3:

I’d have to say no to Q3. I’ve been a St KFC supporter for almost 50 years – that sort of feeling doesn’t change. And I am fanatical – I would get to probably 18-20 of the 22 H&A games each year.

However, I have been surprised at how quickly the Demons have become my 2nd team. Previously my choice of second team has been for indirect reasons - Geelong for a few decades because my grandmother and great auntie barracked for them, and then PA when it entered the comp because my seafaring father was a member of the PA Magpies in the 1960s (joined one day when he berthed at Port Adelaide, and was invited along to the club). Now the choice is based on MFC being (almost) a Casey-related team. Because of that local connection I have far stronger feelings for MFC than for GFC or PAFC.

I think some people may change teams – particularly if they are at that life-changing time moving to a new location with a new partner, or maybe junior comes home from school having received a handball from a Melbourne player doing a clinic at his school and wants his parents to get him a Melbourne jumper. I think they will be the key times for changes in allegiances or establishment of new allegiances.

Finally, Watts. I’d say a #1 draft pick would get a go at the Scorps. The Scorpions are a very young team – unlike Sandy there are not any established VFL players of years experience or even former AFL players dropped down (other than former Saint, James Wall, who is still young & who won the Scorps B&F on Friday night).

PS - I have spoken to many people in the local community, and almost without exception they are very keen on having MFC at Casey Fields (even though, like me, they already barrack for another team).

Great to read that Casey scorp. Once they start their training at Casey, media exposure will start. I heard they had a council meeting last night from a news report concerning the Methane Gas problem - Do you know or have you heard if their was anything raised at all with respect to the Mfc last night?

There's been a shed-load of trouble at the Casey council over the proposed financial arrangements with Melbourne.

And just now an email arrives, the gist of which is: "The Casey deal went to [censored] last night."

What, can you elaborate a bit more on that? I asked that question in the Casey Updates thread.

Mod's you might have to merge this one.

What, can you elaborate a bit more on that? I asked that question in the Casey Updates thread.

Mod's you might have to merge this one.

In the Herald Sun today, Bailey said that they would start their summer training at Casey NEXT MONTH !!!! ... "Article... Shape up or pay price "

What, can you elaborate a bit more on that?

Sorry, I don't know any more than what I wrote above.

And sorry, I didn't see your comment in the other thread.

In the Herald Sun today, Bailey said that they would start their summer training at Casey NEXT MONTH !!!! ... "Article... Shape up or pay price "

That article would have been written before last night's council meeting.

I would be absolutely FURIOUS if the Casey Fields deal fell through! :angry:

In fact I think there would be serious legal consequences if this did indeed happen. :blink:

However, as far as I know everything is going a head (slowly but surely) and as Dean Bailey said the Demons side will be training there in a month's time.

All that needs to be done is the finishing touches of the agreement and the alignment with the Casey Scorpions VFL team. While the whole fiasco about the methane gas has been very concerning and I am greatly effected by this by having friends living in the area in all honesty it has nothing to do with the MFC setting up a training base at Casey Fields.