• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Where's Garry?

Roost It

Guest unstable punt
Was that a direct reply to me or the others on this thread?

I was backing the big man, I love the bloke. Im saying he does a shitload, and wouldnt suprise me that he does join Jimma on the board.

its a direct reply to the guy who started the thread, l know most who follow the current climate closely know he is heavily involved at the moment

Guest unstable punt
Honestly, if you dont know the facts, then why post it. Leave the man alone. A champion of our club, who has a JOB in the media, like you and i have a JOB at the office or as a school teacher.. it is his career. The Lyon doubters on this forum suffer from a bad case of tall poppy syndrome. get over it, get a hold of his speech at the 150 heroes dinner, listen and then ask yourself if you do enough for this club!

thats it exactly, tall poppy syndrome, some people just can't help themselves, gotta slag someone off with no real knowledge of any situation

No it's people like you that wont take a persons word for what it is and have to have personal jibes at a guy that i suspect you barracked and supported when he played for the red and the blue. Hypocritical at it's most blatantly obvious!!

And i guess you would know that his "Frankly Luxurious" day job is not that demanding.

Makes me sick the constant negativity towards one of our Fav sons.

Whose word exactly? Am I supposed to unconditionally swallow something like this:

Im getting the impression Garry prefers the role of clandestine facilitator !! I sense he's very much in the thick of it..but in a liaison manner.

What do I know of belzebub59's reasons for stating that he or she "gets the impression" that Garry is an underappreciated and modest behind the scenes man?

The fact is that I don't. Like I pointed out in my last post "I wouldn't know" and nothing that anyone has written so far on this topic has changed that. All I have to go on is that he didn't even know about the walk to the 'G until recently. If Garry has been working for the club from behind the scenes then great, why not share some examples of that work with me and everyone else so we can appreciate him all the more?

Also, I never said that Garry work wasn't demanding (once again, I wouldn't know), merely that it isn't exactly the worst job in the world. This is relevant, not because I am jealous (but then who wouldn't trade places!), but because whenever people talk about Garry's contribution to the club all they talk about his media profile and then the occaisional mutter of "behind the scenes". I think it's great that Garry's job in the media provides such great exposure for the club, I have acknowledged that he is a wonderful asset for us, but none of this is evidence that Garry does anything beyond doing the job that he is paid to do. I'm sure Garry is very pleased that as a consequence of being on the footy show etc. he raises the profile of the Melbourne Football Club, but surely nobody thinks that this is the reason he joined the show?

If Garry turned up to work every day that would be enough for fan boys like you to talk about his tireless contributions to the club. The fact is, Garry would have to try pretty damn hard to not contribute to the club given his line of work.

As for "personal jibes" - where exactly?

Cheers

If you work for an organisation, and give your years of service in return for a wage, does either party owe the other at the end of the contract?

It seems like some people feel that Lyon owes the Club, but surely your life is your own once your playing days finish. Go easy.

Great post Hazy.

Uncommon suppport for some one who joined yesterday, Rhino. You are normally pretty circumspect with newbies!

Uncommon suppport for some one who joined yesterday, Rhino. You are normally pretty circumspect with newbies!

Considering he took the same tack as Rhino had a few posts earlier, I'm sure it wasn't difficult to compliment Hazy on his post :P

Considering he took the same tack as Rhino, I'm sure it wasn't difficult to compliment Hazy on his post :P

Correct. I thought he just spelled out some commonsense about the assumptions and beliefs being bandied as fact about ex-players.

I know him as well as I know either of you Franky or Rogue. B)

My initial thread never criticised Garry for his work, nor doubted his passion for the club. This club is being kicked around and I realise he is doing some behind the scenes work and his media is great for the club, but no one can tell me that the club and it's supporters wouldn't get a massive boost if someone of he sighned up on Thursday night. To say he doesn't owe the club anything is rubbish as well. We all owe this club! This is more than just business. The reason this club is so low is because it had it's heart ripped out in 1965. Garry's worth is that heart. I know that's a big call but it just might be true.

I love gazz, really i do..

But im so over him sitting on the damn fence, in EVERYTHING!!

so this is a petition, if you want Garry Lyon 2 get off the fence and say what he REALLY thinks, then sign this!!

This is incredible. What are we?..Richmond supporter's? lets keep bagging our past champions.. yeah, that will help.

Garry is a great Melbourne man, like Robbie Flower, like Ron barrassi.. just remind yourself of that every now again.

From today's Herald Sun..

Melbourne legend Garry Lyon, a Stynes confidant, will play a key role at the club as an adviser to Stynes, along with former Demons captain Greg Healy.

Makes a couple of posters in this thread look silly.

I doubt it.

It talks of a future role for Garry not what has been assumed by some to have been going on.

I think this is a great announcement to have Garry in such a role. He has a lot to give MFC going forward and I welcome ihs involvement.

You could see Garry was right behind Jimma on the Footy show. Jimmy said he had spoken to Garry about his new role.

Now Garry would be an excellent person to drive our membership push in 2009 with a few explayers like Woey, Healy etc.

I doubt it.

It talks of a future role for Garry not what has been assumed by some to have been going on.

I think this is a great announcement to have Garry in such a role. He has a lot to give MFC going forward and I welcome ihs involvement.

You could see Garry was right behind Jimma on the Footy show. Jimmy said he had spoken to Garry about his new role.

Now Garry would be an excellent person to drive our membership push in 2009 with a few explayers like Woey, Healy etc.

All true, but he needs to take up an official role, make one up, I don't care, I just want to see him take the next step for this club. This is not because I don't think he does anything, it's to add the symbolism to his actions.

I have not seen Jim's press conference from earlier in the week, in London, but didn't some one post on here that Jim had a sutble/not so sublte comment to Lyon for not doing "enough"?

If correct then this thread is spot on the money I would have thought.... He obviously has and does things for the club but the president elect and one of his best mates thinks he needs to do more backs up the orignal post.

As to Woey, I'd like to see the "Club" try and bring him back in the fold. We all loved him for doing everything he could to be the best player he possibly could. He would be a great example to young footballers of what you can achieve for the sacrifices.

F@#KING HELL! Anyone would thing this is the "Punt Road End" website where all they do is bag past and present players.

I don't know Garry LYON in any way, shape or form other than what I have seen of his football career, read about and what I see and hear in the media.

I do know he is a TRUE Demon. I also know, from what I've read, that he has a life outside football as a single Dad with 3 sons to raise (1 of whom is or has been crook - check out http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...006022,00.html), as well as extensive media and corporate commitments to earn a living from. His radio & football shows are not just what we see and hear on air, there are hours of preparation before and after. His work load would be immense. Everyone would be after him for something - ie appearances, charity events, sportmans nights etc etc.

I too am a family man with financial, family and work pressures, who LOVES the MFC. I can't get to every game, nor can I put my hand in my pocket much further - does that make me any less suppportive of this great club than the whingers and knockers that I see posting? Simple answer is NO! But everyone I know, knows that I am a proud and passionate MFC member - through the good times and the bad.

Stop bagging people, especially legends, unless you know facts.

How anyone can make an assumption, and that's all they are 'assumptions' about Garry Lyons committment, or lack of it to the MFC, absolutley sickens me!

You should be ashamed of yourselves for gutlessly & anonomously using these forums to sook about, and defame, any person who loves the MFC.

Moose

The only people making "assumptions" are the ones who credit Garry with all this "behind the scenes" work which is so behind the scenes that there is very little reason for an outsider like me to expect that it goes on. On the other hand it also gives me little reason to expect that it doesn't go on - which is why I haven't been "making assumptions" myself. Personally I'd be wrapped if Garry is doing work at the club and even moreso if Jim's appointment means that he does some more work in front of the scenes, which is where I think he would do the most good. For instance, I would love to see some of the stuff that is written on this site (e.g. blockbusters vs. crap fixtures, reasons for the QB turnout/comparisons with Dreamtime, relative funding levels/crowd turnouts/ the fact that every club is reliant on AFL support etc.) get some more airtime.

Cheers

Well, actually it doesnt mate..

Im not saying he doesnt help the club, im not bagging him, i love the guy, im saying he needs to say what he really thinks in the public arena, simple!! :lol:

I reckon he says what he thinks quite consistently in the public arena.

Interesting the boys taking with him on Triple M. Garry for about the 864th time was asked why he doesn't "help the club more"

Garry basically responded by saying there is no logical reason he would be good at any board level role. He stated he has no relevant diplomas nor abilities, and importantly said that facts and figures "do no interest him" which i think many peope can relate to.

He said that if the club needed him for membership drives, he urged them to "use him in any way, shape or form that will help the club" and also said if they wanted his opinion on the list management of the MFC then he would help as he feels this is more in his area of expertise.

I think he's doing the right thing by the club.

He is not simply saying, I'm G. Lyon, i'm a legend of the club, i demand a spot wherever, but rather he is letting the proper people do their jobs while he gives us the most prominent public figure since... probably since i've been alive.

I think he may begin to step up his commitment off field as our membership drive changes course, and our list is evaluated, but other than that i hope he continues to give us a face in the media and plugs the Demons whenever he can

So it has taken 10 years and the appointment of one of his best mates as Preisdent gor Lyon to pull his finger out of his ass?

Where was he during the Szondy era? Or even the Gardner era?

Its about time is all I can say. And the criticism of him is valid, he has been a fencesitter for a decade.

Yes..Y-M ..he 's a total bastard and liability for the club isnt he !! especially when compared to the great inputs and efforts of your great self !! :lol: <_<

So it has taken 10 years and the appointment of one of his best mates as Preisdent gor Lyon to pull his finger out of his ass?

Where was he during the Szondy era? Or even the Gardner era?

Its about time is all I can say. And the criticism of him is valid, he has been a fencesitter for a decade.

You know what i like about you Y-M....

NOTHING!