Nathan Jones

Mono

Now, don't get me wrong, I am an admirer of the way he goes about his game, his attack on the ball, etc ...

BUT his disposal is often/usually poor. He just doesn't seem to have 'time' in close, and poor skills/decisions when free.

I hate it! I want him to be a gun, but I am fearsome.

Thoughts?

He calls for the ball when he shouldn't too often, and plays on unnecessarily occasionally.

Hopefully improvement in these areas will come with experience.

Other thanBuckley Jonesy is about th eonly bloke who ever considers breaking the lines an runnng forward. I think he just needs better mentoring. Its all there..just jumbled at the moment.

Other thanBuckley Jonesy is about th eonly bloke who ever considers breaking the lines an runnng forward. I think he just needs better mentoring. Its all there..just jumbled at the moment.

You're right, these two constantly get caught trying to break tackles. Whether or not they can be 'taught' how to do this to greater effect I don't know because at the moment both of them make the wrong decision in trying to get past a 3rd or 4th player.

You're right, these two constantly get caught trying to break tackles. Whether or not they can be 'taught' how to do this to greater effect I don't know because at the moment both of them make the wrong decision in trying to get past a 3rd or 4th player.

is that a sympton of the lack of team mates willing to bump or lay a sheperd for the ball holder?

His endevour and run whilst one paced are great, it is his kicking like a number of the team that lets him down. As per usual our turn overs looked like they killed us again on the weekend. When will we learn...

is that a sympton of the lack of team mates willing to bump or lay a sheperd for the ball holder?

His endevour and run whilst one paced are great, it is his kicking like a number of the team that lets him down. As per usual our turn overs looked like they killed us again on the weekend. When will we learn...

Your right if their teamates know they are about to gain a posesion give everything to block, sheppard ala more time to spot target and dispose of effectively.

I think during a difficult period such as this it is easy to point out flaws in each and every player. Small mistakes, and plenty of big ones, are costing us plenty at the moment.

I think due to our lack of confidence and team play each and every flaw is exaggerated.

Yes Jones under pressure can cough it up, his disposal lets him down, perhaps even when where playing well. But the utter lack of support from team mates and his lack of confidence in the "team" exemplifies these mistakes that would be minor in a team like Geelong.

Jones is a vital ingredient in this team and would be in any other team. I witnessed a training session at the beginning of the year and was flabbergasted at how much harder he trained than almost anyone, bar Brock. Every single player in our side must look to him and see where they have to get to. He is young, he is learning and I believe he is possibly our most important player.

He is certainly the most deserving player to be wearing the famous #2 jumper.

Your right if their teamates know they are about to gain a posesion give everything to block, sheppard ala more time to spot target and dispose of effectively.

what we do is run side by side calling for a [censored] handball or are standing still 2 metres away calling for a [censored] handball

I love him but he needs to learn some of JMac's tricks...

JMac's disposal is probably worse, but he picks his battles and compensates by being a different player...

Jones is struggling due to two reasons, only he or McLean get the ball around the packs consistently and the opposition knows it, the amount of times that the commentators said that we were watching the saints players at the stoppages instead of trying to win the ball was laughable, thats exactly what we were doing and the saints like other teams target Jones and McLean and leave the rest of their team to play offensively knowing that the rest of our team is crap in that area. (and most others)

We are 1 and 9 and it's going to get worse...

We should be taking solace from an extremely talented midfielder who happens to 20 years old rather than picking faults that we have seen over his fledgling career.

He makes mistakes...well sh!t, he's a kid.

We are 1 and 9 and it's going to get worse...

We should be taking solace from an extremely talented midfielder who happens to 20 years old rather than picking faults that we have seen over his fledgling career.

He makes mistakes...well sh!t, he's a kid.

kudos to u. spot on. he is talented but he is also courageous and attacks the footy and takes on the game. he will be the engine room for many years to come. he does get caught a lot but there a reasons for this.

1. he wins most of our contested (close in) football

2. lack of suitable options running with him or upfield

i believe that his decision making is sound for a player his age and it will improve. he also disposes of the ball under pressure a lot of the time because of those contested situations.

I am confident if you gave opposition coaches a choice of a player on our list he would be close to the top. strong bodied, courageous 20 year old ball winners don't grow on trees. with a couple of classy midfielders around him he will shine. Please lay off this kid as he has a big heart and we need to get behind him.

Please lay off this kid as he has a big heart and we need to get behind him.

Right you are Dandy, I didn't go far enough in my previous post. I love the Jones Boy, he plays for the jumper almost like no other. He's the type of player that keeps the supporters true. It's those around him that need to step us and support his work rate and endeavour to get the ball in the first place.

The CLANGER KING!!!!!!!!!

would rather see a player going and getting his own footy and giving it up a few times that an outside runner who gets cheap possessions (via blokes like jones) that can deliver the ball without pressure and rack up a nice clean possession count.

also the amount of times jones is under the pack forcing a contest and causing a stop play without actually winning possession is incredible. watch this next week. without him the opposition would win even more of the footy.

It was glaring against the Saints we dont have enough inside winners and haven't for years.

Right you are Dandy, I didn't go far enough in my previous post. I love the Jones Boy, he plays for the jumper almost like no other. He's the type of player that keeps the supporters true. It's those around him that need to step us and support his work rate and endeavour to get the ball in the first place.

Again, agreed.

FFS!

The kid goes after the contested ball. Breaks through the lines...stands up for his team mates...helps his teams mates. ..does not take a backward step...is 19...(did I mention gets the ball and attempts to do something constructive with it!!) and we sit here asking "is he really that good?" Get off it. I think he is a fantastic player for the MelbourneFC and I am very proud to have him on my team. Get behind a kid who not only plays his heart out, but does so with success. THATS WHAT SUPPORTING YOUR TEAM IS ALL ABOUT.

Save your opinions for issues that matter to the Melbourne Football Club. Like complaining about the number of Sunday games we have scheduled this year, the looming board challenge, getting more supporters to sign up, getting more people to support, the upcoming Queens birthday match, making sure we stick around for the next 150 years and telling anyone who doesn't think so to [censored] off.

Jones is the type of player that any good midfield could use. The problem is, that we don't have a good midfield.

Cameron Ling is slow, but is a premiership midfielder. Brett Kirk's disposal is ordinary, but he is a premiership midfielder.

What separates us from the likes of Geelong and Sydney (besides the fact that we're terrible and they're not), is that they have Goodes, and they have Ablett and amongst all that midfield class there are the hard-working, not terribly quick, not terribly gifted footballers who earn their keep because their bread and butter is to get clearances and be on the bottom of packs. They are not there because they can break the lines with pace, or hit a target 76 meters out on their non-preferred foot.

So in a way, Jones is a victim of the crap he is surrounded with (and so are most of our kids), but if you look at it from a different point of view, we really can't keep carrying McLean, Jones, Moloney and Valenti on our list when they are all the same type of player, and when they all require a top quality midfield around them to perform at their best. Breaking it down, you keep McLean because of the 4 mentioned he is the best 'outsider' of the lot, meaning his disposal is very good most of the time. Of the rest, Jones stands out because he is a proven clearance winner, but unless he can reinvent another dimension and become a goal-kicking midfielder, or alternatively improve his disposal dramatically, he may just become dispensable, or worse, a depth player. Fortunately, I think he is capable of taking his game to another level and become an invaluable asset to our midfield, especially if one day he finds himself surrounded by a classy midfield.

Like every other Melbourne player, he has the brain but not the skill.

you reckon our players have the brains??? you're kidding right? standing next to each other, flat footed and calling for handballs?

Jones is the type of player that any good midfield could use. The problem is, that we don't have a good midfield.

Cameron Ling is slow, but is a premiership midfielder. Brett Kirk's disposal is ordinary, but he is a premiership midfielder.

What separates us from the likes of Geelong and Sydney (besides the fact that we're terrible and they're not), is that they have Goodes, and they have Ablett and amongst all that midfield class there are the hard-working, not terribly quick, not terribly gifted footballers who earn their keep because their bread and butter is to get clearances and be on the bottom of packs. They are not there because they can break the lines with pace, or hit a target 76 meters out on their non-preferred foot.

So in a way, Jones is a victim of the crap he is surrounded with (and so are most of our kids), but if you look at it from a different point of view, we really can't keep carrying McLean, Jones, Moloney and Valenti on our list when they are all the same type of player, and when they all require a top quality midfield around them to perform at their best. Breaking it down, you keep McLean because of the 4 mentioned he is the best 'outsider' of the lot, meaning his disposal is very good most of the time. Of the rest, Jones stands out because he is a proven clearance winner, but unless he can reinvent another dimension and become a goal-kicking midfielder, or alternatively improve his disposal dramatically, he may just become dispensable, or worse, a depth player. Fortunately, I think he is capable of taking his game to another level and become an invaluable asset to our midfield, especially if one day he finds himself surrounded by a classy midfield.

Quite a good analysis of our midfield woes there Jaded. McLean and Jones would do much better (and not cop this kind of criticism) if they had some classier midfielders around them.

What's Grimes like in terms of pace? Is he just more of the same or will he be different to what we've already got?

Good analysis Jaded. I agree that both Brock and Jones boy are vital. Jones will develop with better support and it will come from the likes of Morton in time.

And weapon I couldn't agree with you more. We are falling apart at the seams and some are willing to point the finger at the toughest nut in the whole club. A true sign that a few supporter have the yips and are unable to suffer through a rebuild. Yes, it hurts but I'll say it again, rebuild.

Whilst i like the way both Jones and McLean go about it, i think it's funny that everyone jumps up

and down about the fact that Jones gets caught with the footy to often. How many times has McLean

been run down and caught recently? To many times for mine.