Freak of Naita excites Demons

Mousey

Who of the two would be more marketable, Rich or Naita?

We need excitement at the club not another midfielder, good as Rich appears to be.

No. What the club needs is to win a flag! (POWERFULL MIDFIELD)

The reason people aren't feral about Melbourne is because we've lost very many supporters who've simply givin' the DEES away over the last Decades for the lack of HOPE & PROMISE!

The rest of us are basically lost overly loyal servants who just survive on the smell of a greasy Premiership wrag.

& some just hang around the MCC (business interests) with a modicum of interest in the Demons & dissappear when things get tough. BRING ON THE CASEY FERALS!!! :P

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit I don't know much about Rich, but i'd be very disappointed if we passed up this kid. We are in desperate need of a few quality talls and they are much harder to come by.

WAFL Best Players Leader Board

AFL Listed Players in Italic. AFL Rookies *.

53 Hayden Ballantyne (PT)

41 Phil Read (S)

40 Troy Cook (P)

36 Toby McGrath (SF), Beau Wilkes *(CL)

33 Chris Yarran (SD)

31 Simon Rosa (PT)

30 Josh Head (SF)

26 Jamie McNamara (EF)

25 Ian Richardson (CL), Chad Jones (CL), Dustin Burns (WP)

22 Blake Broadhurst (S), Jarrad Kayler-Thomson (P), David Crawford (CL)

21 Brett Robinson (SD), Kane Bloxsidge (PT), Ben Keevers (S), Brad Smith (S), Ross Young (P), Jaxon Crabb (CL), James Thomson (CL)

20 Scott Siekierka (P)

19 Phil Smith (WP), Paul Duffield (SF), Hayden McLeod (PT)

Rookies Leader Board

52 Ian Richardson (CL)

49 Chris Yarran (SD)

37 Alex James (WP)

36 Adam Cockie (S)

35 Daniel Rich (S)

34 Kyal Horsley (S)

30 Nicholas Naitanui (SD)

27 Nick Derickx (CL)

23 Adam Boone (PT)

22 Calib Mourish *(EF)

16 Trent Dennis-Lane (S)

15 Dene White (P), Matthew Brown (PT)

14 Preston O’Keefe (CL), Luke Sampey (EP)

13 Matt Deboer (CL)

12 Kym Monteath (EF)

Leading Goalkickers

26 Hayden Ballantyne (PT)

23 Brad Smith (S)

17 Blake Broadhurst (S)

16 David Crawford (CL)

15 Chad Jones (CL), Ian Richardson (CL)

14 Ryan Murphy (SF)

13 Chris Yarran (SD)

12 Tony Notte (SD)

10 Callum Wilson *(SF), Dean Buszan (PT)

9 Calib Mourish *(EF), Adam Campbell (WP)

7 Ben McKinley (EP), Josh Kennedy (EF), Daniel Rich (S)

Sounds like the remedy.....if we get him!

theouterseagull

[[[Posted: 15 March 2008 11:22 PM

Total Posts: 376

Joined 2007-05-07

""Top 3 AFL draft picks will all be W.A. boys 1 Daniel Rich 2 Naitanui 2 Cockie these 3 will make clubs want to tank games to get draft picks. Was very impressed with Rich last year highly skilled, has so much natural talent, great footy brain and has proved he can handle finals pressure. Cockie is just as good a great kick of the ball tough and talented. Only saw Naitanui for the first time last week he looks promising had a few brilliant moments but also made a few mistakes will suit a club that wants an athlete that they can develop into a footy player he definatly has the size and strength. Forget about Chick its the kids that will star this season""

******************************************************************************************

Ben Stinga

Posted: 16 March 2008 05:57 PM

Total Posts: 357

Joined 2008-03-06

""Yep, those three are looking good.

I know there are some very knowledgeable people who follow the players coming through the grades, so I expect to see some different ideas from mine.

But my top ten would be.

1. Daniel Rich (Subiaco)

2. Nicholas Naitanui (Swan Districts)

3. Adam Cockie (Subiaco)

4. Jeff Garlett (Swan Districts)

5. Nick Derickx (Claremont)

6. Aaron Sweet (East Perth)

7. Matthew Brown (Peel)

8. Trent Dennis-Lane (Subiaco)

9. Matt Virgo (Subiaco)

10. Don Stirling (East Perth)

11. Daniel Venditti (Perth)

12. Jared Winter (South Fremantle) ""

We need to draft the best key position forward in the draft with our first pick. Time to start looking at what our club needs and maybe no the best player in the draft. We have 5 ruckman including rookie on our list 4 still young, we have about 10 KPP with 2 set to retire a couple more have a couple of years. Young players

Backs Martin, Rivers, Frawley,Garland, Warnock

Forwards Newton, Zomer

We need KPF's

I like the idea of our club getting its hands on a very marketable player to draw some people through the gates in the short term. Naitanui certainly fits that bill. Davey did it for a while there. But that's all short term.

MFC seems to have a "messiah" complex - we're always waiting for our hero. We had Robbie F leading the team, then even after the merger we threw all our eggs in the Joe basket, we begged for Juddy to come home, and now we're waiting on a number 1 pick to lead our charge up the ladder. Problem is individuals don't matter if they are just individuals - it's a team game. Our drafting and preparation should occur with a "whole team" viewpoint.

If we score Warnock in the PSD (and if we have pick 1 in the PSD we'll know this well in advance) then we will have another ruckman to join PJ and Russian in the ranks when Whitey retires. Isn't Meesen a Ruckman too? Then I wonder whether we will desperately need a player like Naitanui. I haven't seen either Naitanui or Rich play, but I gather from what I have read that a player like Rich will be useful no matter what the circumstances.

I think the most important point made earlier in this thread is that gun midfielders are nearly exclusively top 10 picks. Simon Blacks occasionally slip through the net and get picked up in the 30s but it's very, very rare. Good ruckmen are rookie listed or get picked up late. How many good ruckmen have been drafted top ten recently? I can't think of any off the top of my head. I don't count Kosi or Fraser. Brad Ottens was pick 2 in 97 and his best season was 2007. Justin Longmuir was pick 2 for Freo in 98 and is still not as good as the bloke they got as a rookie. Hamish Macintosh was pick 9 and Laycock pick 10 in '02. Kepler Bradley was pick 6 in 03 and look where he is now. John Meesen was pick 8 in '04. Pat Ryder was pick 7 in 05. I think most people acknowledge Cox and Sandilands as the best rucks getting around and they were both rookies. Also, all these people expecting immediate results from Naitanui are dreaming. It took 5 years for Macintosh to play a good season.

Everything I read written in WA says Rich over Naitanui. They watch them every week so I imagine our WA recruiters will have a similar view.

I'd pick Rich.

rule of thumb....take best available player.

Naita would have to be that..you take him.

I agree the bonus is in the excitement and marketing that he might offer.

Offer Fiji a bulk rate to all sign up as members..lol.. but seriously.

We need to take the best available.. and work out the best way to utilise.

now if there are any other Magambwha's out there !! :)

I wanted Rich, but now its all about Natanui.

We have been crying out for a legitimate superstar tall ever since David Schwarz did his knee the first time. That was 14 years ago.

And this club need a shot in the arm. Some excitiement. A drawcard.

Bring on Naita.

Ooze/Col lover, read this:

"MFC seems to have a "messiah" complex - we're always waiting for our hero. We had Robbie F leading the team, then even after the merger we threw all our eggs in the Joe basket, we begged for Juddy to come home, and now we're waiting on a number 1 pick to lead our charge up the ladder. Problem is individuals don't matter if they are just individuals - it's a team game. Our drafting and preparation should occur with a "whole team" viewpoint."

Seems to relate to your post quite well

im surprised more hasnt been said of Hurley as a possible selection, reading this got my heart racing.

Michael Hurley Key Defender 192cm

Northern 1/06/1990 88kg

Hurley is a proven performer at both ends of the ground and produced impressive numbers in the 2007 season. In 17 games for Northern in the TAC Cup he averaged 18 disposals per game playing in key positions at either end of the ground. When up forward he was always a threat, being a multiple goal kicker five times including a haul of 6. He spent most of his time in defence, however having six or more rebound 50s on seven occasions and averaging four spoils and two marks from opposition kicks per game. He is strong overhead highlighted by his tally of 29 contested marks, of which he took at least one in all games. He dominated at full back for Vic Metro in the 2007 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, totalling four more rebound 50s than any other player

can someone who has seen him offer any more wisdom? is he worth pick one?

Top post Eastie. So in 20 years since Flower we've banked on one player, a President and a possible draft pick? Sums EVERYTHING up doesn't it. This is clearly what our club has based itself on in recent history. Insightful and engaging.

im surprised more hasnt been said of Hurley as a possible selection, reading this got my heart racing.

Michael Hurley Key Defender 192cm

Northern 1/06/1990 88kg

Hurley is a proven performer at both ends of the ground and produced impressive numbers in the 2007 season. In 17 games for Northern in the TAC Cup he averaged 18 disposals per game playing in key positions at either end of the ground. When up forward he was always a threat, being a multiple goal kicker five times including a haul of 6. He spent most of his time in defence, however having six or more rebound 50s on seven occasions and averaging four spoils and two marks from opposition kicks per game. He is strong overhead highlighted by his tally of 29 contested marks, of which he took at least one in all games. He dominated at full back for Vic Metro in the 2007 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, totalling four more rebound 50s than any other player

can someone who has seen him offer any more wisdom? is he worth pick one?

pick 3 -7.

""Vic Metro supplied four players to the 22-member squad, after it finished second in Division 1 of the national championships behind the undefeated Western Australia.

Three of those named captain Jack Grimes, ruckman Matthew Kreuzer and key defender Michael Hurley were from the Knights' TAC Cup under-18 team.

It meant Northern provided the most players of any Australian club, with no other side managing more than two.""

http://demonland.ugbox.net/forum/index.php...=michael+hurley

pick 3 -7.

""Vic Metro supplied four players to the 22-member squad, after it finished second in Division 1 of the national championships behind the undefeated Western Australia.

Three of those named captain Jack Grimes, ruckman Matthew Kreuzer and key defender Michael Hurley were from the Knights' TAC Cup under-18 team.

It meant Northern provided the most players of any Australian club, with no other side managing more than two.""

http://demonland.ugbox.net/forum/index.php...=michael+hurley

I work with his dad - comes from Macleod F C. Is a superb kick and definite key position who will fill out. Melbourne are very interested and would go top 10 the way recruiters are talking. I think Adelaide said they would have picked him first if he was available last year.

Ooze/Col lover, read this:

"MFC seems to have a "messiah" complex - we're always waiting for our hero. We had Robbie F leading the team, then even after the merger we threw all our eggs in the Joe basket, we begged for Juddy to come home, and now we're waiting on a number 1 pick to lead our charge up the ladder. Problem is individuals don't matter if they are just individuals - it's a team game. Our drafting and preparation should occur with a "whole team" viewpoint."

Seems to relate to your post quite well

Spot on....see sig.

To everyone who is adamant that we take Rich at number 1 (assuming we do indeed get the first pick) do you still think this considering his form lately?

We should wait until at least the end of the U/18 titles before making judgements!!

A lot of posters are getting very excited about the prospects of gaining either Naitanui or Rich. I decided to have a look at their respective stats after 7 rounds of WAFL games. BOTH are playing for STRONG clubs, Rich with the undefeated Subiaco team and Naitanui with Swan Districts (2nd). This is an important factor as their opportunity to do well is increased when playing in a strong, WINNING team. I have not seen either play but here are their stats so far this season.

NAINTANUI RD.1 6 kicks,5 h/b, 4 mks, 18 h/o (total 11 poss.)

RD.2 BYE

RD.3 2 kicks, 12 h/b, 2 mks, 26 h/o (14 poss.)

RD.4 6 kicks,10 h/b, 4 mks, 14 h/o (16 poss.)

RD.5 2 kicks, 8 h/b, 2 mks, 27 h/o ( 10 poss.)

RD.6 5 kicks, 6 h/b, 1mk, 24 h/o ( 11 poss.)

RD.7 3 kicks, 6 h/b, 4 mks, 18 h/o (9 poss.)

RICH RD.1 10 kicks, 3 h/b, 3 mks, ( 13 poss.)

RD.2 10 kicks, 5 h/b, 2 mks ( 15 poss)

RD.3 5 kicks, 3 h/b, 1 mk. ( 8 poss.)

RD.4 10 kicks, 8 h/b, 4 mks. ( 18 poss.)

RD.5 11 kicks, 8 h/b, 3 mks. (19 poss.)

RD.6 7 kicks, 4 h/b, 4 mks. ( 11 poss.)

RD.7 12 kicks, 4 h/b, 4 mks. (16 poss.)

I know they are only kids but overall, their stats are not outstanding. Nick's hit out tally is excellent but we don't know where they all went. Did most go to a teammate? They don't tell us. But at least he can get his fist to the ball. For a guy with a big leap I guess Nick's tally of just 17 marks from 7 games is very low. Daniel, going by stats alone, looks like being a potential ball magnet. Who knows? Maybe there are others worthy of consideration when draft time comes. Some good old VICTORIAN kids! By the way, I noticed Phil Read picking up plenty of possessions for Subiaco. NO I AM NOT SUGGESTING WE DRAFT HIM!

Without having seen them in action, I have read that both have had ordinary starts to the season by their standards, but I guess all we can do is wait and see how their year progresses.

Anyone have Kreuzer's stats from early last year for comparisons sake? Both are fairly similar in terms of hype.