curfew is too far

Yencks

not a greatly written article by Kevin Sheedy but the point he makes is IMO a fair one

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl...3-19742,00.html

I think it is good that the club is trying to stop bad behaviour but if they are making rules, even if it is rules set by the players leadership group, that involve too much control over ones life, players will feel the need to break out and not feel comfortable

Now that the rule is actually set, i think that with Colin Sylvia, a $5000 fine is a bit too far, it shows how much importance the players are putting into their guidelines, and im all for the one match suspension, but a group apology or something would be far more appropriate...missing training is bad, and that deserves punishment, but going into someones personal finances for breaking an almost unnofficial (in the sense of laws) rule is absurd. That is a lot of money and a big punishment....where was the $5000 fine for Brock and Chopper getting into fights, or on that matter Brock doing doughnuts in a car park and speeding...wheres the club imposed fine there??

thoughts...

Sheedy really has too much time on his hands.

Imposing curfews is fraught with danger on two fronts: It could be seen as an imposition on basic human rights, and players may just think about moving elsewhere where there are no set rules.

BREAKING NEWS: Nathan Jones has asked to be traded to Collingwood as it would mean that he could stay up past his bedtime...

surely thats the point. we dont want players who stay out past the self imposed curfew.

if he continues to do it, then get rid of him - regardless of how talented he is.

we want a professional culture at the club, which is why the curfew is in place, and someone continues to break it, then who gives a smeg if they leave???

surely thats the point. we dont want players who stay out past the self imposed curfew.

if he continues to do it, then get rid of him - regardless of how talented he is.

we want a professional culture at the club, which is why the curfew is in place, and someone continues to break it, then who gives a smeg if they leave???

The curfew is both unreasonable & unrealistic & will, i have no doubt, be broken. Its too early for a Saturday night 3.00am would be more reasonable for a single young man on a Sat' night.

The curfew is both unreasonable & unrealistic & will, i have no doubt, be broken. Its too early for a Saturday night 3.00am would be more reasonable for a single young man on a Sat' night.

i agree...or just place a strong reccomendation that they go out at their own will and if the idiots come back tired/hungover/not get enough sleep, then their in trouble

Now that the rule is actually set, i think that with Colin Sylvia, a $5000 fine is a bit too far

What's $5000 for a player who earns 6 figures a year?

He deserves his punishment, as did Brock, as did Carroll.

I don't care how unhappy the players are with the curfew, if it keeps them away from sleazy night-spots and away from trouble, it can only be a good thing. Besides, as it was player-imposed, the players really don't have much to complain about.

We all have certain rules and guidelines we have to follow at work. These guys are made big money and they need to keep their bodies and their minds fit. They are lucky the club didn't ban alcohol either.

I'd happily stick to a 1am curfew for a 6-figure annual salary!

What's $5000 for a player who earns 5 figures a year?

He deserves his punishment, as did Brock, as did Carroll.

I don't care how unhappy the players are with the curfew, if it keeps them away from sleazy night-spots and away from trouble, it can only be a good thing. Besides, as it was player-imposed, the players really don't have much to complain about.

We all have certain rules and guidelines we have to follow at work. These guys are made big money and they need to keep their bodies and their minds fit. They are lucky the club didn't ban alcohol either.

I'd happily stick to a 1am curfew for a 5-figure annual salary!

I agree with this 'Jaded', (What's $5000 for a player who earns 5 figures a year?

He deserves his punishment, as did Brock, as did Carroll.), but the main issue I'm sure, was not that he was out late saturday night, but the fact he missed the follow up recovery session. These are young single human males who haven't found yet the reason to settle down. Each to their own, maybe sylvia's pining for his ex may help with this.

I really didn't like the tone of the Sheedy article at all.

I thought that the leadership group had decided upon the fact that Melbourne would be enforcing a curfew, and the article sounded like it was a poor decision made by the coaching staff without any consultation of the leadership group.

If this is wrong, please feel free to correct me

chooka i agree with you and believe that the article was badly written but the club (the leadership group) is saying that they are fining sylvia $5000 for going over the curfew, not missing training. I think $5000 is a lot of money in anybodys eyes and this is a little unfair to say the least for somebody who obviously has issues with a girl friend behind the scenes of football.

id like to know where the money will go, how will he pay this club fine? ppl have been joking that it will go to the end of season party...i for sure, believe in punishment, one match suspension is fine with me, but why the money fine, why not a public apology or an apology to the players or something more productive...meet a sick kid, do work for one of the charities the club supports.

i just dont understand how they systematically got to the figure of 5000...seems like they pulled it out of mid air...can someone tell me how much money brock was fined by the club....can someone tell me how much carroll was fined by the club?

They are being paid to play football. To play football, they must be in the best physical and mental condition. Staying out beyond 1am before or after a training session/ after a game on a weekend cannot be good for someone whose job involves keep their body and mind up to shape.

At school, you keep bad students inside at recess for misbehaving. This attempts to stop them from misbehaving in class so as to being to go out at recess. This curfew is in place to stop off-field problems and let the plays know that indescretions will result in punishment. It won't last.

Also, Sheedy, your article is just a whole bunch of one-line paragraphs. Don't quite your day job.

if its only money...then that exactly how some might see it.. as an " ah well i'll cough up a few sheckles.. but all's sweet!!" Dropped for a game smarts !!

I have a lot of time for Sheeds... but I seem to remember he had a problem with quite a few wayward ones !! lol :D ;)

Although it was the players who decided on the curfew, the fines, etc, the thinking behind it is clearly at the instigation of Bailey.

He's working out who cares enough to do everything required to win a flag.

At a talk by David Parkin a couple of years back. He used to impress on the Carlton players that every single thing they did had to be with the goal of a flag in mind. Every single thing. They were about winning.

Are our blokes single minded enough?

Do they think it's reasonable to break their own rule two days after it comes into play?

Bailey is working out who is fair dinkum and who isn't. Some of our blokes are slower on the uptake. I wonder if it will sink in before it's too late for them.

Last year all the Geelong players made a pact to quit booze for the entire season... My folks went to a 21st party and Andrew Mackie was dating the birthday girl.. He drank orange juice all night. The entire team quit booze and they won the flag by a record margin. Screw the 1am curfew - if our blokes were serious they'd quit all booze until the GF party!