Steve Johnson - too soft?

e25

I'm wondering everyone's opinions on this whole issue - was this punishment too soft?

What should Melbourne do if a similar thing happens to one of our players?

In my view - He was caught speeding, which has nothing at all to do with his performance as a footballer.

The club should have little or no say in a matter like this.

I think its disgusting personally

6 weeks suspension for breaking the team rules

Going 120km in a 50 zone, which could have killed someone earns a slap on the wrist

Wonder if things would be different if they weren't favourites for the premiership and he wasn't the reigning norm smith medalist

I'm wondering everyone's opinions on this whole issue - was this punishment too soft?

What should Melbourne do if a similar thing happens to one of our players?

In my view - He was caught speeding, which has nothing at all to do with his performance as a footballer.

The club should have little or no say in a matter like this.

Losing your licence is punishment enough. It's a shame that Clubs have to be seen as enforcers just to protect their commercial interests - but that's the reality

On the flip side, maybe a more severe punishment would have increased Geelong's chance of going back to back - they seem to thrive on the "shake up" down at Geelong, and Stevie Johnson's their leading man B)

Its funny, cos actually living in Geelong, I know where he did it and although I don't condone it...

I think you'd struggle to find a safer place to speed.

Its a road through a big park and golf course and he would have to have been going along a long stretch between speed humps.

Wide road, plenty of room to see that no one is within a 100m of you, rarely any other cars around.

If anything it is a favourite spot for police to hang out and book young P-platers who often decide to do a bit of rally driving through there.

Just funny as a lot of the articles I've seen on it make it sound like he did it through a primary school or something.

Having said all that, its never safe to do and he's still a moron.

But whoever said footballers were smart?!

Hypocrisy is rampant at football clubs, they preen themselves and trumpet their position as community leaders and proclaim their players as role models when it suits them and do not accept that with that comes the responsibility to treat all indescretions with a firm and steady hand.

This offense is bordering on grounds for a custodial sentence. It was announced last year that Johnson was on his last chance ...

Consider what might have happened if Shannon Byrnes was driving with Johnson in the passenger's seat. Would Geelong have treated Byrnes differently and come down on him like a tonne of bricks? You bet your life they would have, he is a fringe player and did not win the Norm Smith Medal.

I don't think Geelong should have done anything. This shouldn't be a matter covered by "team rules". It a matter between the law and Johnson.

I don't think if Johnson was employed for example by the Westernport Sewerage Authority that he would have an additional suspension above and beyond whatever sanction the law applies.

I don't think Geelong should have done anything. This shouldn't be a matter covered by "team rules". It a matter between the law and Johnson.

I don't think if Johnson was employed for example by the Westernport Sewerage Authority that he would have an additional suspension above and beyond whatever sanction the law applies.

I agree Rumpole. If the speeding laws are too soft, then that's a matter for our judiciaries, and Steve Johnson shouldn't be made a scapegoat.

Unlike his drinking offences, his actions weren't deemed to be detrimental to his football output, hence the club didn't need to impose any further sanctions.

I think geelong have been too soft. And contrary to what people on here say, it does have something to do with the club. Steve just does not get it. He has been caught doing dangerious and illegal activities 3 times now and his recent media appoligy was stupid. The kid clearly has not learnt his lesson and he goes up behind a desk infront of cameras and says that hes sorry. Three times is too many times and if he really was sorry after his 6 week ban, he wouldnt have done this. 120km/h in a 50 zone, thats not an extra 5 ks or 20 its bloody 70 ks. I have some sympothy for the collingwood player who just moved his car. It was illegal but not as dangerious as steves incident.

There are enough deaths and accidents on victorian roads and people just are not getting the message. Steve should have been axed for what he did. First time incident would have been a hefty fine but this is inicsusable. And people on here are going easy on his, yet he could have killed someone.

I think geelong have been too soft. And contrary to what people on here say, it does have something to do with the club. Steve just does not get it. He has been caught doing dangerious and illegal activities 3 times now and his recent media appoligy was stupid. The kid clearly has not learnt his lesson and he goes up behind a desk infront of cameras and says that hes sorry. Three times is too many times and if he really was sorry after his 6 week ban, he wouldnt have done this. 120km/h in a 50 zone, thats not an extra 5 ks or 20 its bloody 70 ks. I have some sympothy for the collingwood player who just moved his car. It was illegal but not as dangerious as steves incident.

There are enough deaths and accidents on victorian roads and people just are not getting the message. Steve should have been axed for what he did. First time incident would have been a hefty fine but this is inicsusable. And people on here are going easy on his, yet he could have killed someone.

occo, you haven't explained how Steve Johnson's actions have anything to do with the Geelong Football Club. On the other hand, Sharrod Wellingham cost Collingwood a significant sponsorship.

All your other emotive statements should be directed at our lawmakers, not the Geelong Football Club.

occo, you haven't explained how Steve Johnson's actions have anything to do with the Geelong Football Club. On the other hand, Sharrod Wellingham cost Collingwood a significant sponsorship.

All your other emotive statements should be directed at our lawmakers, not the Geelong Football Club.

Geelong have responsibility over the players that they draft. Not only does the club look stupid from the incident but it can effect team moral too. Clubs need to be encoraged, and perhaps they do, teach players about the community and acting responsibly. The club needs to hold some responsibility but steve is a man after all and only he can behave how he wants. Geelong need to realise that after so many warnings, the risk of steve doing another stupid incident is high and need to act on that by terminating his playing career

Agree 120km through 50, dumb, and the punishment fits crime...dealing with road trauma victims first hand will be both an excellent and harrowing experience for Steve.

Let the law deal with the fine's, license suspension etc...Geelong's response is both measured, sensible and likely to be highly effective.

And if you think I'm soft on road law abusers...I would like to see drivers caught texting whilst driving HANGED BY THE NECK UNTIL DEAD

I can see this becoming another "footy players are role models" argument.

FWIW I agree with Rumpole in that this should be a matter between the law and Johnson.

So you think that getting an indefinite suspension for being drunk in public is reasonable, but no suspension for driving at speeds that would certainly kill any other travelers on the road, is ok?

Being drunk in public is not a great endorsement for the club, but Johnson was only harming himself. How many fatal road accidents do we have a year as a result of idiots speeding? What he did this time was far worse and far more dangerous. Anybody who has lost a friend or relative in a car crash would certainly agree.

He put himself, his teammate and countless other people in danger. He deserves a punishment for that, and having his license suspended is a very small price to pay. If he had killed someone he'd be sitting in jail right about now!

Given that Geelong are long term partners of a motor vehicle company, I can't see how the club doesn't take this incident more seriously.

But then again, if you're a good player you're immune from all punishment :rolleyes:

Losing your licence is punishment enough. It's a shame that Clubs have to be seen as enforcers just to protect their commercial interests - but that's the reality

Agreed.

If we were suspended from work/fined etc for speeding I imagine we'd be rather upset.

If he had killed someone he'd be sitting in jail right about now!

:rolleyes:

Isn't that a tad hypothetical?

The thing is he didn't kill anyone, and if he did, then jail would be his punishment.

This discussion has become slightly distorted....don't you think?

It's gone from what should be about Geelong protecting their interests by handing out the correct punishment for a speeding fine, to a 'what is moral?" discussion, which is a whole other topic.

but seriously, are geelong really going to punish him severely? i mean the guy played like a champion on g/f day,(not that it would have been hard) won the norm smith,came back from oscurity in the vfl. everyone has been caught speeding havent they? we all know what its like to see the fine and the humiliation from peers. its not like he did any drugs! he wouldnt be a good role model to kids anyways imo.

Players sign contracts with clauses that say the player will do all he can to not bring the club into disrepute.

So this is not simply a matter between Johnson and the police/law courts. Geelong should be entitled to some recourse because it is there brand that has been tarnished (along with Johnson himself).

However in this instance they have decided not to take any recourse. Maybe, as suggested, because Johnson was the success story of 2007 and the club does not want to jeapodise his 2008?

If that is the case it is a spineless decision just like Collingwood when dealing with the Johnson/Tarrant incident.

I'd like to think DB would come down hard on a Melbourne player who did something similar whether it be our best or worse player.

Geelong should be entitled to some recourse because it is there brand that has been tarnished (along with Johnson himself).

Explain how the Geelong brand has been tarnished? Loss of membership or sponsorship, I think not!

Sure, Steve Johnson's image has been further tarnished, and he's received an appropriate punishment.

One thing I half-arsedly pointed out before, is that there was no danger.

This is in a big open, frequently deserted park. No road signs or other traffic. Anybody on foot can be seen from 100m away.

It is a popular spot for police to nab people who have momentary 'brain fades' or young P platers looking for a nice place to show off for their mates.

In a nut shell: It was a bloody stupid thing to do - something I would have done at 19 - but its not like it is being portrayed in the media.

but seriously, are geelong really going to punish him severely? i mean the guy played like a champion on g/f day,(not that it would have been hard) won the norm smith,came back from oscurity in the vfl. everyone has been caught speeding havent they? we all know what its like to see the fine and the humiliation from peers. its not like he did any drugs! he wouldnt be a good role model to kids anyways imo.

Well we havnt all sped 70ks over the limit and if you do u should have ur licence taken off u immediatly. Yes 5 or 10ks can happen just not realising the limit has changed or being distracted for a second or 2. But i cant say i know anyone that goes 70ks over the limit. Your argument is pointless because drugs only affect him. If he were taking drugs, he chooses too. Nobody makes him and the only one who sufferes is him with the side effects of parents, family and friends. Speeding by excessive speeds means that you are not only risking urself (and i couldnt give a damn if steve was injured) but also other epople on the road he may have never met. 50km zones are commonly around housing areas and the likelyhood of a child running onto the road in these areas is very high or a pet on the road. I for the life cant understand why people cant see the seriousness of this. 47 people died on AUstralian roads over the chrissy and new year period and 17 were in victoria. Thats 47 families that must now be effected, some of which were other motorests who did nothing wrong or pedestrans. In the last 2 weeks 8 people have been killed in victoria alone. Geelong must take some action that is better than a slab on the wrist and community service. Sure, the community service is good because he can meet people that could have been his motorests he injured. But the club needs to get serious and actually ban the guy from the game until there is sufficient evidence hes not acting stupidly. Geelong have the power to terminate his employement and obviously steve wont volinteer to have his career ended. Geelong must get harsher and i would say that about any club. Heck if mclean or jones were in the same position as what steves done, i would be wanting their playing career cancled no matter if there the next judd, hird or buckley

Well we havnt all sped 70ks over the limit and if you do u should have ur licence taken off u immediatly. Yes 5 or 10ks can happen just not realising the limit has changed or being distracted for a second or 2. But i cant say i know anyone that goes 70ks over the limit. Your argument is pointless because drugs only affect him. If he were taking drugs, he chooses too. Nobody makes him and the only one who sufferes is him with the side effects of parents, family and friends. Speeding by excessive speeds means that you are not only risking urself (and i couldnt give a damn if steve was injured) but also other epople on the road he may have never met. 50km zones are commonly around housing areas and the likelyhood of a child running onto the road in these areas is very high or a pet on the road. I for the life cant understand why people cant see the seriousness of this. 47 people died on AUstralian roads over the chrissy and new year period and 17 were in victoria. Thats 47 families that must now be effected, some of which were other motorests who did nothing wrong or pedestrans. In the last 2 weeks 8 people have been killed in victoria alone. Geelong must take some action that is better than a slab on the wrist and community service. Sure, the community service is good because he can meet people that could have been his motorests he injured. But the club needs to get serious and actually ban the guy from the game until there is sufficient evidence hes not acting stupidly. Geelong have the power to terminate his employement and obviously steve wont volinteer to have his career ended. Geelong must get harsher and i would say that about any club. Heck if mclean or jones were in the same position as what steves done, i would be wanting their playing career cancled no matter if there the next judd, hird or buckley

Ok, so you seriously want Johnson or another player doing the same thing to be fired to set an example to society?

Are you joking?

He's an idiot and should not have done it. But he should suffer from the same penalty as you or I, as set by the law.

And he has.

Why should he be punished further? Cos he exhibits stupid behaviour?

There are a lot of stupid footballers.

well you can take his licence and he cant drive, but he can still go to the pub and get [censored] and turn up to training half cut, the bloke is a loose cannon and its only up to himself to pull his head in if you ask me. he has been given far too many chances anyways, evryone deserves a second chance, but this guy surely has mischief following him. im just glad he isnt a demon.

Being drunk in public is not a great endorsement for the club, but Johnson was only harming himself. How many fatal road accidents do we have a year as a result of idiots speeding?

interesting take on it. i see it as being drunk affects his ability to play footy letting down his club, his team mates and his employer. even though getting drunk is a legal past time it affects is ability to perform at work and thus should be sanctioned by the club.

speeding is stupid. i cant condone 70km over on the roads. he has money, get a racing licence and burn it up at a track. go to the super nats or something, if thats your vice. HOWEVER, the issue is between steve, the police and the law. not the footy club. he didnt do anything that affects his ability to play. hell TAC employers get tickets all the time and don't get sanctioned at work. why should Steve Johnson?

Explain how the Geelong brand has been tarnished? Loss of membership or sponsorship, I think not!

Sure, Steve Johnson's image has been further tarnished, and he's received an appropriate punishment.

well it puts them out of the running for any available TAC sponsorship doesn't it?

but if he was driving a ford it might have been good for business...

Geelong's brand has been tarnished because Johnson is a representative of the club and his actions affect people's perceptions of the club and its culture.