How would you feel if it were us instead of North?

Demon Head

Kangaroos to stay in Melbourne

The AFL is set to announce a 17th club but where to now for the Kangaroos?

Given that they have voted against moving to the Gold Coast it seems that the AFL can't possibly have them playing games in an area where they don't want to be so they are likely to pull the plug on the Roos games up there. This would involve redrawing the fixture and the Kangaroos losing millions in revenue from these games. Brayshaw will need to pull a rabbit out of his hat if they are to survive.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kangaroos to stay in Melbourne

The AFL is set to announce a 17th club but where to now for the Kangaroos?

Given that they have voted against moving to the Gold Coast it seems that the AFL can't possibly have them playing games in an area where they don't want to be so they are likely to pull the plug on the Roos games up there. This would involve redrawing the fixture and the Kangaroos losing millions in revenue from these games. Brayshaw will need to pull a rabbit out of his hat if they are to survive.

is the contract to play the games signed? if it is the afl will have to pay out the contract for the roos wouldnt they?

North Melbourne became the Roos, Footscray became the dogs, we dropped the Demon tag(i haven`t) so we are Melbourne. we cant be the West Sydney Melbourne or ....you get the point

No we haven't.

is the contract to play the games signed? if it is the afl will have to pay out the contract for the roos wouldnt they?

thats an interesting question. I know the saints and collingwood said they would play games there but not move there full time. This is not what the afl wants. I was talking to one of my mates about it today over a few beers and he believes that the afl will obviously do their best to have the 17th team playing well. Money will be poured in but also players from other clubs. It was suggested that each club could name 2 untouchables and the 17th team could choose to get any of the players which the club doesent name with a maximum of picking 3 players from each team. Bit far fetched but could happen i guess. Dont know what would happen to all the player contracts signed

I would hope we would not screw ourselves like the Kangas are doing at the moment.

All the emotional spirit of the Fitzroy rearguard without the necessary reality!

Good on North Melbourne for not caving in.

I would be devastated if the AFL was forcing us to move interstate, as would 26,000 odd members. If the AFL is so desperate for another QLD team (why? Brisbane can barely fill up the Gabba as it is), they should make a new one so they can pump it full of money, steal everyone's best players and give them draft concessions until they win a flag and the AFL feels vindicated that their stubbornness has paid off :rolleyes:

How on earth can the AFL make its clubs put 42 of its 44 players up for grabs anyways? What about what the players want? :wacko:

17 teams wont work.

And you still have North as a financial basket case. Nothing solved.

North are just frustrating the inevitable. Admirable though it is. Its also self destructive and does little for the outcome of the Club.

Agree with you RR about the inevitable.

James Brayshaw may look the hero now, but he may be the same man responsible for the death of the club.

I have a bad feeling the 17th team option would only be temporary... in the worst possible way for North. They may actually feel lucky if, in a few years, they get to merge with the Southport Sharks ala Brisbane and Fitzroy.

I'd like to take moment to say how disgusted I am by the AFL's amateur-hour botched every step of the way rubbish 'I am not smarter than a fifth grader' management of the whole process.

Idiotic bastardry at every turn.

Anyway, for some reason I like the righ of 'The Gold Coast Tigers' - has a certain 19th century colonial charm to it.

Now, the question becomes, who, really, will north end up merging with? (ever the pessimist)

Guest MFC4Life
17 teams wont work.

And you still have North as a financial basket case. Nothing solved.

North are just frustrating the inevitable. Admirable though it is. Its also self destructive and does little for the outcome of the Club.

What would you have them do?

I would be mortified if we even contemplated relocation instead of trying to survive. I would rather this club fold than being run by the AFL and playing out of West Sydney.

I think the AFL is a disgrace. i am so sick and tired of this 'I'm an economic realist' crap.

All of you might be resting on your laurels now but for all of you who realize what 'a free market economy' is all about, NEWSFLASH!!! We're next in the firing line.

I would be mortified if we even contemplated relocation instead of trying to survive. I would rather this club fold than being run by the AFL and playing out of West Sydney.

I think the AFL is a disgrace. i am so sick and tired of this 'I'm an economic realist' crap.

All of you might be resting on your laurels now but for all of you who realize what 'a free market economy' is all about, NEWSFLASH!!! We're next in the firing line.

As morbid as it sounds, it's hard to argue against you.

How on earth can the AFL make its clubs put 42 of its 44 players up for grabs anyways? What about what the players want? :wacko:

Who said that this would happen if a 17th licence was granted? There is no way 12 of 16 clubs would vote for it if this was going to happen.

How did it work for Port? Did they approach people, or did players come to them?

Its simple. Financially they have shown they cannot sustain an operation in Melbourne. They could not in the glory days of Pagan/Carey. They cant now.

The Kangas Board should be seeking to work with the AFL to build a viable financial opportunity up in the Gold Coast. So far they have sought ever measure not to move and they are heading for a tragic death wish.

Please name the posters who are sitting on their laurels. Every man and his dog knows MFC is on a financial drip feed. If anything North going north actually gives us some further breathing space to turn our house around

I think i read that the AFL needs 12 of the 16 clubs to agree for them to give 17th license, is that true?

i read the same thing and if the victorian teams have any sense about them they will ensure this doesnt eventuate. it might be any one of north mfc, wb, hawthorn, tigers or saints who go first, but one of the teams will go if a 17th is granted. these teams should vote no to ensure their survival.

you have to admit...james brayshaw has gone against all the odds so far...joined the board, stuck up for the kangaroos on the footy show and then everybody told him he was an idiot and he couldnt change a thing...has stoop up to the AFl...has been announce the new chairman of the club....announced the change of name back to North Melbourne...i mean i know that the club is now facing the biggest battle it its history, but if (or when) this happens to our mighty club, i hope we have somebody as keen as brayshaw trying to keep us in melbourne