Stop the Cheating!

Redleg

The AFL wants to stop drugs in football because it is cheating. Hear hear. But then they base the whole competition on cheating. I have had enough of the [censored] weak platitudes that we don't have enough members or supporters. That is [censored].

How in hell can a competition be based on a rigged draw. This is crap. Unless the AFL do a multi year draw where the teams play each other equally then the AFL brings shame to the game. To base the draw on attendances or supporter numbers is a joke. Why not start China half way up the track in the Olympics because they have the most fans. Give Manchester United 3 goals start every game because they are the most popular, etc, etc. The draw is an absolute joke the way it stands. The AFL admits it is fixed and rigged to cater for any number of factors except one " fairness". How can a Premiership mean anything in a fixed competition?

The AFL season should not be a "handicap" where some sides have a clear advantage. To regain any credibility a multi year draw must be started so that over a period every team plays each other fairly. TV ratings are not an excuse and the TV stations will fit in with a properly run competition. The handicapping of clubs commercial opportunities is also a disgrace and the equalisation grant moreso. We will end up like the WWF wrestling, a fake which is a great TV winner but as the whole world knows a complete joke. Enough is enough. I am going to have a valium.

The AFL wants to stop drugs in football because it is cheating. Hear hear. But then they base the whole competition on cheating. I have had enough of the piss weak platitudes that we don't have enough members or supporters. That is bullshit.

We are the oldest club in this competition and have won plenty of premierships unlike some others and we have the name of the capital city in the state where the AFL originated. We are 1/16th of the clubs that give the AFL $780Million from TV rights plus plenty more. How in hell can a competition be based on a rigged draw. This is crap. Unless the AFL do a multi year draw where the teams play each other equally then the AFL brings shame to the game. To base the draw on attendances or supporter numbers is a joke. Why not start China half way up the track in the Olympics because they have the most fans. Give Manchester United 3 goals start every game because they are the most popular, etc, etc. The draw is an absolute joke the way it stands and the AFL admits it is fixed and rigged to cater for any number of factors except one " fairness". How can a Premiership mean anything in a fixed competition?

The AFL season should not be a "handicap" where some sides have a clear advantage. To regain any credibility a multi year draw must be started so that over a period every team plays each other fairly. TV ratings are not an excuse and the TV stations will fit in with a properly run competition. The handicapping of clubs commercial opportunities is also a disgrace and the equalisation grant moreso. We will end up like the WWF wrestling, a fake which is a great TV winner but as the whole world knows a complete joke. Enough is enough. I am going to have a valium.

The problem with your analysis is that football is no longer a game or a sport - it's a business and in business, he who has the most money wins.

The problem with your analysis is that football is no longer a game or a sport - it's a business and in business, he who has the most money wins.

Thats the problem WJ I want to enjoy a sport not a business. If it was the latter I would sit in the gallery at the Stock Exchange and cheer for BHP.

In that case if you can talk Don Argus and his board into wearing the red and blue, you might witness a premiership flags in the near future.

The problem is WJ that I am serious. Even a sport run in a business fashion can have at its core "fairness", if it seeks a modicum of respect from the participants and the spectators.

I 'm on your side Redleg.

The trouble with the current system is that it make financial success self-perpetuating.

If a club has more supporters, it gets the good games, and makes more money. The opposite is true if a team is struggling financially.

It's absolutely crucial to avoid the mess that is the EPL. Sides in the mid-regions of their ladder realise that they will NEVER have a hope of winning the premiership. Only about 5 teams have a chance(out of 20), and that number's reducing.

We're not that bad yet(it's not that long since North won), but we're heading that way.

The AFL have got to stop bending over backwards to pander to the wealthy teams.

Of course we all want to play Coll on the MCG!(good chance of a win, plus a big gate), but this type of match should be shared equally. If Ess only plays Coll once in a year.....too bad! They don't deserve top billing.....look at their poor performances the last 3 years. More so with Calton!All sides should play everyone at home and away over a three year cycle

Hey Red , you've been a very angry boy lately , but I share your sentiments .

Unfortunately we're all too insignificant to make a difference so lighten up - take a holiday , watch the races - you'll feel better and life will have more meaning.

In that case if you can talk Don Argus and his board into wearing the red and blue, you might witness a premiership flags in the near future.

I've heard Andrew Demetrious speak at a football breakfast. He's more interested in the commercial aspects of the fixture than in fairness. Full stop.

As long as that mentality rules the competition, we have to get used to it and prepare our club to play according to those rules.

The EPL is a different system. There are other incentives than premiership success. A premiership for Sunderland is staying up and avoiding relegation this year. A premiership for Blackburn will be finishing in the top five. A premiership for Newcastle will be stabilising itself as a top 6 side.

In footy, there's only one aim. A flag. Nothing much else matters - true, it may be a good year for a developing team to make the finals, but ultimately it all comes down to a flag. Sunderland and Fulham aren't interested in winning the EPL. It's not on their radar. But every team from 1-16 aims to win the flag in the AFL.

Anyway, the danger of the current system is that the AFL continue their stranglehold over financially weaker clubs. This is dangerous as it can lead to a reliance-type situation like with North. The one saving grace is success. If you have success, you will get better fixturing in terms of time slots. We had four friday night games this year. Next year, we have one. If we pick up our game, we will get some reward off the field.

To be honest. I'm not really suprised what is happing in the AFL. They are stupid, hate weak clubs like ourselves, but is going to continue to happen.

Hopefully someone can stand up in the AFL or a new president of the AFL can stand up and sort out the mess Demetriou and his cronnies have made

I've heard Andrew Demetrious speak at a football breakfast. He's more interested in the commercial aspects of the fixture than in fairness. Full stop.

As long as that mentality rules the competition, we have to get used to it and prepare our club to play according to those rules.

Exactly the case Jack. We have to be prepared to play and succeed by those rules whether we like it or not.

i think that the game is a sport. it always has been and thats how it grew strong. yes it needs to be run like a business but i think everyone involved needs to remember that at the end of the day we want to watch the highest level of competitive sport, not the highest level of business. make money, enjoy the spoils, but no at the expense of the integrity of the competition (which imo has long since gone...)

Redleg, your comments are highly emotional with little substance.

The factual reality is that since the advent of the AFL in 1987 and it's 'rigged draw', 11 out of the 16 teams have won a premiership (69%). Under the old VFL, with it's equitable draw, only 5 out of the 12 teams won a flag in the preceding 20 years (42%).

Whilst we continue to whinge about Collingwood's favourable draw, they have been far more competitive when playing interstate than us. Maybe our energy is better served in trying to fathom out why we can't win interstate (SCG excluded), and our recent poor record at TD, than bemoaning the inequitable draw.

The AFL is like a well meaning parent that treats one child better than another whilst firmly believing that they don't play favourites with their children. They believe they are doing what is best for the entire family (The league finacnially as a whole) and have lost focus on caring for the needs of all it's children (the clubs) equally.

Melbourne will NEVER be treated as well as the pies or the blues, we don't have the money. However, we don't need a draw rigged in our favour and we don't need a multi million dollar training facility. It doesn't matter if you run 20K on an electronic treadmill in the lexus centre or you run 20k in the heat around an oval, you've still run to 20k and have a graeter sense of achievment because you did it the hard way. All we need is a winning attitude, a bit of mongrel and when we win that premiership the hardships faced will make it all so much sweeter.

The AFL is like a well meaning parent that treats one child better than another whilst firmly believing that they don't play favourites with their children. They believe they are doing what is best for the entire family (The league finacnially as a whole) and have lost focus on caring for the needs of all it's children (the clubs) equally.

Melbourne will NEVER be treated as well as the pies or the blues, we do't have the money. However, we don't need a draw rigged in our favour and we don't need a multi million dollar training facility, it doesn't matter if you run 20K on an electronic treadmill in the lexus centre or you run 20k in the heat around an oval, you've still run to 20k and have a graeter sense of achievment because you did it the hard way. All we need is a winning attitude, a bit of mongrel and when we win that premiership the hardships faced will make it all so much sweeter.

Spot on!

See sig....

Melbourne will NEVER be treated as well as the pies or the blues, we don't have the money. However, we don't need a draw rigged in our favour and we don't need a multi million dollar training facility. It doesn't matter if you run 20K on an electronic treadmill in the lexus centre or you run 20k in the heat around an oval, you've still run to 20k and have a graeter sense of achievment because you did it the hard way. All we need is a winning attitude, a bit of mongrel and when we win that premiership the hardships faced will make it all so much sweeter.

GM,

The AFL knows it plays favourites and does so to maxmise the value of the brand "AFL" and the individual teams in terms of TV rights, merchandising, corporate sponsors. Its not a well meaning parent. Its a business like any professional or semi professional sport that aspires for broad community participation and support.

You right we need to develop a winning attitude within the Club culture but we need to develop this in unison with other arrangements including but not limited to facilities, membership, player development and sponsorship. Its a big ask and from where MFC is the challenge is greater for us than the bigger clubs. That would make a premiership all the sweeter.

It would also give the AFL the opportunity to boast that the competition is a level playing field. The fact is it never has been.

i think the same, the draw should be over a number of years so it pans out that we travel the same amount of times etc

but it won't work if we, north and the bulldogs keep selling games interstate.

Agree entirely..selling "home games" interstate handicaps us before we start..look at the results of the "Gabba" disaster - one win in the whole time and completely disrupted momentum EVERY YEAR !

Agree entirely..selling "home games" interstate handicaps us before we start..look at the results of the "Gabba" disaster - one win in the whole time and completely disrupted momentum EVERY YEAR !

Teams aren't doing this blindly out of choice. They are doing it out of financial necessity. We did not sell the Brisbane game for the objective of a win/loss benefit. We did it because it gave us guarantee gate revenue where we would not have made any money on that game at. It did not help playing Brisbane at the Gabba when they were at or near their peak.

Its very easy for posters to blow wind about selling games. Very few come up with revenue replacement strategies that would replace the income that would be lost.

Teams aren't doing this blindly out of choice. They are doing it out of financial necessity. We did not sell the Brisbane game for the objective of a win/loss benefit. We did it because it gave us guarantee gate revenue where we would not have made any money on that game at. It did not help playing Brisbane at the Gabba when they were at or near their peak.

Its very easy for posters to blow wind about selling games. Very few come up with revenue replacement strategies that would replace the income that would be lost.

Doesn't this get back to the very point I was making. If all clubs were treated equally we would have more sponsorship opportunities with more games in Melbourne and on friday night on peak rating TV etc. More melboune games to boost attendances, display sponsors product, sell club products etc. etc. The handout we get from the AFL is because we are being shafted financially and in the competition. It is nothing more than ' shut up and take this" (money). No matter which way you look at this we are getting a poor deal and I don't see why so many of us just say " oh well, nothing we can do, bend over and take it". I will tell you one thing, Eddie wouldn't take it.

This system has led in part to the Kangaroos being forced Interstate. Who is next? Guarantee it won't be Pies, Bombers or Blues even if they rack up wooden spoons. I would just like to see us become an aggressive club on and off the field and always fight for our best position, which by the way should not be "bending over".

Doesn't this get back to the very point I was making. If all clubs were treated equally we would have more sponsorship opportunities with more games in Melbourne and on friday night on peak rating TV etc. More melboune games to boost attendances, display sponsors product, sell club products etc. etc. The handout we get from the AFL is because we are being shafted financially and in the competition. It is nothing more than ' shut up and take this" (money). No matter which way you look at this we are getting a poor deal and I don't see why so many of us just say " oh well, nothing we can do, bend over and take it". I will tell you one thing, Eddie wouldn't take it.

i've been saying the same think all week, but everyone just keeps telling me that either 'success will get us a better deal' or 'bums on seats will get us a better deal' but in all honesty i cant see how we can achieve either of those things without getting the better deal in the first place (and fwiw i proved that the success will get a better deal is a falsity).

On basis have we been bending over? I am aware the Board have fought where it can to get a better deal on game locations but when your membership is low, your game attendances are low you stand a great opportunity to force your position against 15 others. So by getting bums on seats will by the criteria adopted by the AFL give you a better go at the draw selection.