John Meesen keen on Dees

warren dean

We wont be offering much until we know about Judd, hence why ever one wants the Judd deal done on the first day.

Give em jamar and the big finger! we gave them thommo cheaply.

How big would that finger be, I have a feeling that would make a difference.

Also I much prefer to hang on to Aaron Davey for those that have been suggesting him as trade bait. He causes oppossition coaches match up problems and you want that to remain the case.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That that match against the dogs showed us exactly what Col can do. He was probably best-a-field that day, maybe except for Davey. He had 20 odd disposals, took 12 marks or so marks and kicked 3 goals. i Wouldnt trade him.

unless Bailey can develop Meesan dramatically, i don't like the looks of him.

From memory, he was just bigger and stronger then anyone else in the under 18's.

IMO Kurt Tippett is the reason why Meesan's moving. Maric's not safe either.

Biglands, Griffin and a fast rising Tippett is Adelaide's future ruck. if there's a way, MFC should try to pinch Tippett.

id 100% prefer to have Sylvia stay than Johnstone.

sure Johnstone is a genius when he is at his best. but he 27 years old now and has still not fulfilled his full potential. he dominated about 5 games a season but this is not enough output. he has onyl one top10 in b&f...truely pathetic from a player of his ability.

sylvia is 21 years old, and has all the attribute to become a champion- highly skilled, decent pace, terrific overhead mark, strength and goal-kicking ability. he has yet to complete a full preseason. i would like to persevere with him, because if he can complete a full preseason and get a motor good enough to play midfield, he could become a Recuitto type player.

keep sylvia. if we release him we could massively regret it.

with johnstone we know what we are losing. for the next 4-5 years johnstone will be a classy/ inconstistent footballer who is brilliant at times. WestCoast would love johnstone slotting into their starting 18 getting no tag and dominating the wide open space of subiaco.

our go at the premiership will be in 2-3 years time, when Rivers, Jones, Mclean, Sylvia, Bate, Bartram, Judd, Dunn, Newton, Davey, Bell and Frawley are hitting thir straps.

WestCoast's time in now, so Johnstone is perfect for them.

pick 4 and Johnstone for Juddy!

It must be school holidays, all the bored, immature [censored] are out. Get a life all of you!!

Indeed.

Tone down the personal abuse and silly irrelevant posts please.

This is especially directed to our new posters, who are reminded to read the Code of Conduct before going on a posting spree.

Cheers.

Indeed.

Tone down the personal abuse and silly irrelevant posts please.

This is especially directed to our new posters, who are reminded to read the Code of Conduct before going on a posting spree.

Cheers.

Is this directed at me?

I don't think I've done anything even remotely wrong & yes, I've read the Code of Conduct.

Great read.

pick 4 and Johnstone for Juddy!

I can live with that...and you summise Trappers position correctly for mine. Inspirational or just f'n annoying. !! ( still he's not alone is he )

I sense Bails if far more pragmatic...I think more that a few might be a tad toey right now.. ( and rightly so!! )

Bailey would have seen a lot of this guy in the SANFL, he might have impressed at that level 200cm ok size. A few players at MFC will be concerned what or where there future is. Our new coach has identified our weaknesses and addressing them, if god help us we can land Judd and Meesen there are two key areas that we needed a top line fast midfielder and a ruckman. All we need now is Murphy from Fremantle, Graham from WCE and we have a key forward and key defender. CAC might have his work cut out in the draft with all the rumours going around we wont have a pick until the 3rd round.

it has been reported that Adelaide will try to broker a deal with the demons to get Meesan to the MFC.

this obviosuly depends of the judd deal (which could be pick4,pick21 and johnstone)

which means the deal could be pick 37 and a sweetener- maybe miller or Jamar considering they have now lost 2 ruckman in this off season.

Meesan will come cheap.

he is still very young and talented.

in 2006 he showed huge promise and ability playing first ruck for Norwood i think. reports were extremely positive.

in 2007 with biglands going down he was set to have a huge season.

in round 1 he was injured for 10-12 weeks. by the time he got back he had been taken over by griffen and Maric.

pick 8 in 2004 has huge ability and could be a great get.

obviosuly a little risky bc he is not proven, but could be a steal

i just found this article in the adelaide advertiser----it is awesome next for the demons. we will be getting a highly rated 20 yrold ruckman pick 8 in 2004, with huge ability for basicalyl nothing!!!

seems like pick 37 and Jamar/Miller will be enough considering we can get him for free otherwize!!!!

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...-21544,00.html

Adelaide football operations manager John Reid said the Crows would now negotiate trades for Meesen and Hudson with both the Western Bulldogs and Melbourne. Trade week opens on Monday week.

"There is nothing further to be done with Ben Hudson other than to do a deal with the Western Bulldogs," Reid said.

"John Meesen gave genuine thought to his future at Adelaide - which did change with Ben leaving the club - but has decided to join Melbourne."

Adelaide's difficulty in trade week is that neither the Bulldogs nor Melbourne are compelled to work a deal with the Crows.

The Bulldogs can claim Hudson - without compensation - with the fourth pick in the pre-season draft. Melbourne can do the same with Meesen with the No. 3 call in the pre-season draft.

Carlton, at No. 1, and Richmond, at No. 2, have declared they would pass up on Meesen and Hudson if they enter the draft as uncontracted players.

A comparison of Meesen and Cameron Wood by Colin Wisbey:

*COMPARISON: WOOD vs MEESEN:

Neither has obvious significant flaws. Wood's height/reach is much better and he almost certainly has more upside. Meesen's endurance, work-rate and bodywork are better and he is likely to come to hand earlier. I rate both as definite AFL. I rank them at 5 and 7 and expect both to go perhaps within the first 8 or 9, certainly within the first dozen. Wood ready year 3, maybe year 4, and Meesen perhaps year 2, maybe year 3.

If I was buying purely on potential / upside, I would definitely take Wood. If I could afford less patience and/or risk, or wanted a bit more versatility or more of a dependable work-horse, I'd take the harder-working Meesen. If (!) the club looking at the two kids deemed none of these factors more important than the others then, on balance, I'd possibly take Wood if I was a SA club, Meesen if I was a Vic club and virtually toss a coin otherwise.

On exposed form, those two are way ahead of the other rucks, not discounting the promise that Deluca, Moran and co are beginning to show. Wood and Meesen are possibly the best ruck prospects in the past 3 years.

In comparing them:-

1. There doesn't seem to be much between their ruck abilities. Both have a bit to learn and are not yet all-time standouts for ruck technique but show a lot of promise, including at centre bounces. Both seem to enjoy ruck contests. (I believe that matters). When opposed to each other in the U18 Champs, ruck contests were about even. At this stage, if they contested about 100 ball-ups against each other, perhaps 80-90 would be "dead rubbers" and each ruck would get 5-10 hitouts to targeted advantage.

2. re Ruck Style: Both usually try to target their palm-outs. Both have very good leaps and time their leaps well. Both vary their run-up approach on occasions, perhaps Wood more so. Wood's approach tends to be from further back, leaving him more vulnerable to a bad bounce. At this stage at least, Meesen makes much better use of his body. Wood has a bit to learn about protecting the ball.

3. Although Meesen has grown about 8cm since about early last year, Wood is 9 months younger yet already 5cm taller and with a bonus 4cm reach advantage compared to the average player of his height.

4. Their overall stats for the U18 Champs were virtually identical in most areas, not just ruck. Meesen usually has an even split of kicks-to-feeds that the Champs stats suggest but, other than that, their U18 Champs stats, although a small sample, accurately reflect where each is at and their style of game.

5. Both have good leap, agility (despite DC results), and reflexes, and are very mobile for their size. Both are courageous, coordinated and very skilled for their size, including below the knee. Both are clean for their size, all levels. Meesen is quite good off the ground, Wood better. Ditto re inside traffic. These two are modern era rucks, not dinosaurs.

6. Meesen has proven he will push himself to the limit and Wood hasn't. DC tests are not everything but they bear this out. Messen's beep test beat 83% of all-time "at least 195cm" DC/SS attendees. Wood's was very poor and disappointed me greatly - particularly as that poor result was no improvement on one earlier in the year.

7. Meesen is a schools runner and has proven endurance. His DC 3Km time beat 98% of all-time "at least 195cm" attendees. I don't have any evidence of Wood's endurance (and his 3Km time was very poor) but there is no doubting Meesen's.

8. Not that Wood is a slouch but Meesen is a fair bit ahead for intensity and ethic. Meesen has a "ruckrover" work-horse mentality around the ground, with usually better 2nd efforts and a more intense attack on man, ball and marking spoil. Wood is also inclined to go for marks at times when he should try to spoil. Meesen is a very committed chaser, even over 40m or so. Wood has a bit of mongrel in him though.

9. That said, both have good 2nd efforts at ball-ups (especially centre-bounce). Wood's ability to rove his own spill, before or after the ball has hit the ground, is as good as any genuine ruck I can recall in recent years. Excellent agility and reflexes, clean hands and good vision. Wood's efficiency inside traffic is such that he can have days where he gets as many "rove the spill" CB clearances as some of his "rovers". That is very impressive, especially in a 204cm bottom-age kid who has only recently focussed on footy.

10. Both have similar speed. Both are OK for tall rucks but guys like Moran and the shorter Gibson would leave Meesen and Wood in their wake. Neither Meesen nor Wood is probably as quick over the first 5m as their DC times might suggest. Meesen's action over a few metres is as if trying to run with his pants around his ankles. (He's had that action as long as I've seen him but used to look much more unco). Wood has the better running action over a short distance.

11. Both are/will be good overhead. At this stage, Meesen perhaps has slightly better hands and judgement and is harder to spoil against than Wood. Wood might become the better mark down the track. Both hold their ground quite well (for their builds) at marking contests, Meesen a bit better.

12. Both are very good readers of the play across half-back (and move well) dropping back as loose man. Both routinely show good judgement. Both have good vision and poise, can think quickly and they make the right decisions. Both do some clever things. eg hitouts behind their head, or deft tap-ons at knee level, etc.

13. Disposal-wise, Meesen looks for creative/ impact options more often in situations where Wood is too often inclined to just automatically dish off a "1m" feed behind him instead of checking for clear options upfield. Both are accurate by hand, have quick hands and are capable of power in their feeds. However, as mentioned, many of Wood's feeds are those virtual handovers that rucks often feel obliged to automatically lay off to a linker. Meesen's feeds have a very much greater hurt factor. Wood is arguably the better kick.

14. Meesen seems to understand the game a bit better at this stage and will probably be ready a year earlier than Wood.

15. Meesen has already shown an ability to at least pinch-hit in at CHB and CHF on the right opponent, in addition to his prime role of ruck. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wood be capable of occasionally pinch-hitting at CHF or FF in time too though.

16. Meesen has improved dramatically since late last season. Wood also has plenty of improvement in him, having only recently committed to footy after apparently knocking back a US baseball scholarship.

17. Physically, both are skinny but should fill out fine. At the moment Meesen appears more physically developed as both players are the same weight even though Wood is 5cm taller. Wood's current weight though is virtually skinfold-"free" whereas Meesens' skinfold reading, athough good in its own right, is softer.

A comparison of Meesen and Cameron Wood by Colin Wisbey:

This was done b4 they were drafted and we gotta keep in mind Meesan was a man playing against boys.

I'm not saying he's a dud but pls tread carefully on Meesan. Do some research and you'll find out why Biglands, Griffin, Tippett and even Maric is ahead. Lumbering comes to mind.

Drafted with Pick 8 to Adelaide in the 2004 AFL Draft from the Geelong Falcons, the player drafted prior to him was also from the Falcons - Jordan Lewis to Hawthorn.

Was a leading ruckman in the SANFL for his club Norwood but found it difficult to get into the Adelaide side with Biglands, Clarke, Hudson all respected higher than him. Had his chance this year with Clarke to St. Kilda and Biglands' season-ending knee injury, however he was troubled in the 2007 pre-season with injury and Jonathon Griffin/Ivan Maric were moved ahead of him in the pecking order.

Interested to note that Maric was drafted by Adelaide with Pick 40 in the same draft.

He is 21 years old, 200cm and 95kg.

I would give away Jamar to give the highest drafted ruckman in the 2004 draft a chance to show himself at our club. In a flash.