Brad Miller

dazzledavey36

Miller lost his attack/aggression, he was a lead up chf that wasn't afraid to through his weight around, but since he got reported a couple of times his attack at the contest has died. He ran in straight lines and made players get out of his way, demanded the footy and until he finds that toughness again he is going to struggle. He is a shadow of what he was whether it is a ND thing or a Miller mind set thing he has to sought it out or his AFL carear will be over if not this year next.

This is what I have felt for a long time is his problem. He has had to change his style and has therefore lost his intimidation tactics.

As well how can any of our backs or forwards improve with out a consistent team around them.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to change my mind again and say that a key forward will be more important to us than a quality midfielder, key backman or ruckman. That is the big question I have So many holes in the side who should we go for with our first pick ?

Agree the key forward.

It's easier to create avenues to goal than it is to win games when you don't get the ball in the first place.

We are already on track to get pick 2 or 3 in the draft then pick 18 and 20 or thereabouts

I'd assume that we'd go for a midfielder with our first pick, as they usually tend to be a safer pick. Given that this years draft is not as deep as recent years, in order to get some promising kids.

I believe we need to obtain another top 10 pick. This would allow us to get the talent of a player who was touted as top 6 or 7 or 8, etc but fell through (like Selwood did to Geelong). Our priority pick could then be used on players that again were touted as top 10-15 but fell through.

Just my thoughts.

I'd assume that we'd go for a midfielder with our first pick, as they usually tend to be a safer pick. Given that this years draft is not as deep as recent years, in order to get some promising kids.

I believe we need to obtain another top 10 pick. This would allow us to get the talent of a player who was touted as top 6 or 7 or 8, etc but fell through (like Selwood did to Geelong). Our priority pick could then be used on players that again were touted as top 10-15 but fell through.

Just my thoughts.

We dont need the midfielder with our 1st pick

Theres a phenomenom called the Peter Principle.

In a nutshell it purports that people will rise to the level of their incompetence and then plateau.

This is almost exactly what Miller has done. He has risen to the level of his ability......... and gone NO further. This is it folks !! Danners hasnt impacted on Miller in the manner of his ability.. Miller either had it or he didnt. I support the latter.

this thread is laughable...Daniher prolonged a very average footballers career. Try looking at the performance of the player instead of always looking for someone else to blame.

Rhino Ridchards...absolutely 100% spot on. I am continualy amazed at some of the tripe posted on this website.

he has had too many chances to show he has the qualities of an afl player. Playing a few decent games isnt good enough in my opinion, you have to show consistency to be a decent footballer, not a handful of games. I think his decline came when he was booted off the leadership team, thats the only reason i can think of.

Theres a phenomenom called the Peter Principle.

In a nutshell it purports that people will rise to the level of their incompetence and then plateau.

This is almost exactly what Miller has done. He has risen to the level of his ability......... and gone NO further. This is it folks !! Danners hasnt impacted on Miller in the manner of his ability.. Miller either had it or he didnt. I support the latter.

Precisely.

Brad Miller is the single most disappointing players at the club for mine. Still I absolutely expect him to be at the club next year as there is little else for a new coach to choose from as a KPP. Neitz, Robbo and Bizzell over 30, Ferguson, Warnock etc not good enough.

ND did not ruin his career, but another coach (eg Sheedy) may revive it. Look at Dean Wallis – was he any more capable than Brad?

Miller has plenty of time left in him, everyone seems to conveniently forget how young he is.

His Age is not in question. At 24 and six years and 75 games in the system he is at the crossroads. Your faith is admirable but dont let it cloud the reality of situation.

This thread started with a burst of pure fantasy and has been dealt with some clear reality.

He was also pick 55 for heaven's sake. It's not as though we wasted a top 5 draft pick on him.

The most disturbing aspect with Brad Miller on this site is not the generally thoughtful criticism and assessment of his performance (there have been one of two poor posts) but the almost fanatical belief by some clearly misguided posters that he is/was the second coming and our great solution at CHF. He was not and never has been.

And the attempts to justify his poor performance on a past coach who has clearly given him every opportunity, support and trust over that period is quite appalling and beggars belief.

the main cause of the demise of Brad Millers career was his lack of skills and football smarts

Spot on, a future CHF doesn't have a look around and say "[censored] I can't hit a target here, so i'll handpass it to someone else!" :rolleyes:

I have every faith in him he will come good & if he needs any motiviation I am sure all the [censored] posted on here about him is motivation enough

That's the faith that got ND sacked. (run n carry helped)

Picking playas in hope that they'll turn it around, come good or reclaim past glory.

If they are in bad form, drop them.

Faith in playas is needed for them to succeed but having too much faith in a person 'who can't deliver' only hinders the team.

IMO Miller's struggled badly as a back but his got no place in the forward line now with Neitz, Robbo, Bate, Newton n Dunn in front of him.

So his gotta be a backmen to survive.

His got 5 weeks to show something. I want him to succeed cause we need a strong big bodied FB but i'm not holding my breath.

That's the faith that got ND sacked. (run n carry helped)

Picking playas in hope that they'll turn it around, come good or reclaim past glory.

If they are in bad form, drop them.

Faith in playas is needed for them to succeed but having too much faith in a person 'who can't deliver' only hinders the team.

IMO Miller's struggled badly as a back but his got no place in the forward line now with Neitz, Robbo, Bate, Newton n Dunn in front of him.

His got 5 weeks to show something. I want him to succeed cause we need a strong big bodied FB but i'm not holding my breath.

The thing is he's not even that, he's not even big bodied, he gets thrown away by the likes of Barry Hall and Jono Brown way to easily, at 24 it doesn't look like there's much improvement for him physically and in any other aspect to be honest...

Gee and I wonder why the guy has no confidence. Yes lets point the finger all we want but he has plenty left in him. ND was around for 10 years so someone obviously had faith in him for that long & he in turn had faith in Miller. So guys as much as you value ur footy opinion I think I might stick with an AFL coach on this one

The most disturbing aspect with Brad Miller on this site is not the generally thoughtful criticism and assessment of his performance (there have been one of two poor posts) but the almost fanatical belief by some clearly misguided posters that he is/was the second coming and our great solution at CHF. He was not and never has been.

And the attempts to justify his poor performance on a past coach who has clearly given him every opportunity, support and trust over that period is quite appalling and beggars belief.

The most disturbing aspect of posts to this site is that Bate is a possibility to be successfull at chf. Will never have the body size to more than pinch hit in this position

ND never ruined him. He has given him a lot of chances. He is not a CHF or a backman. He is garbage because as a forward he lacks:

a) Mobility. He cant turn very well and struggles to lock a ball in when on the ground. And yes his weight and height doesent help but look at J.Brown.

B) Speed. He looks awfully slow

c) Skills. Awful

d) Accurate kicking

e) Even distance is an issue

f) Marking ability

Down back:

a) Speed

B) Finds it hard to read the play

c) Cant do anything overhead

Miller is a hack...and we need to start playing Dunn for consecutive weeks aka P.Johnson

I agree with you here Jacey.......

I am one of Miller's loudest supporters (& sympathisers given the abuse he has copped) and he will continue to have my full support for as long as he pulls on the jumper (& unfortunately I am not sure all here can say that), just as any player would, but he is slowly wearing my already somewhat stretched patience very thin.

That being said I truly don't believe he will be delisted this year (next year however is another thing) and will only be traded on if he is part of a bigger bundle of players being moved about, given that he actually has minimal trade value on his own. But he could be a valuable top up player, especially given his size and age.

It has been proven that he is not a CHF. I don't think that this is Danihers fault, but he, as the coach, must take some responsibility for the progression of all the players under his tutelage, even ones as unpopular to apparent supporters as Brad Miller. And on the player management front Neale has many detractors.

But despite having to shoulder a hell of a lot of expectations a couple of years ago, Miller was never really gifted enough to hold down that central position, and being forced to, when despite his aggression, he was not capable has done a real number on his confidence, which is important, and is quite obviously shot.

But the problem I have here is that saying that he, or anyone, should automatically make a good or even a mediocre defender just because he didnt or couldn't make it as a forward is somewhat insulting to those that play in defence. Defenders have their own set of skills, they are not just people who failed as forwards.

That is not to say that I don't think Miller could be a useful defender, because I do, but it will take some time to figure out for sure. As playing in defence is a skill, just like anything else in sport, or life, that must be learned and taught and practiced. And I don't believe that there has not been enough time to assess this yet.

And while the last few weeks have not been good for anyone standing in our back six, given the midfield whompings, and certainly Brad has not been able to set any world on fire, I am hopeful (but not naive) that he can learn the skills required, and in time become a useful, if not first choice defender for the future.

But I guess only time will tell if he has the capabilities and confidence to adapt and therefore learn what it takes to play a pro-active (not just reactive) defensive role within the side with any skill or aggression at all, and unfortunately for Brad (although not for plenty of people around here) that is quickly running out.

Although for some of this to work it will come down to coaching.

Just my opinion :rolleyes: !!!

I appeciate al the sentiments of those that consider that Brad has supposedly had a rough trot. That he needs a bit more time and patience.

I simply offer the converse. He really just isnt up to it. He's not that good , well not for a premiership hopeful at AFL level. Sometimes what looks, walks, and flies like a Duck is a Duck. Sometimes what looks and plays like a VFL level player is just that.

I have no mission against the bloke. Could only wish him the best, wish he stepped up. But he hasnt, doesnt and i think never will. If he was going to show it dont ya suppose he might have by now ?

Gee and I wonder why the guy has no confidence. Yes lets point the finger all we want but he has plenty left in him. ND was around for 10 years so someone obviously had faith in him for that long & he in turn had faith in Miller. So guys as much as you value ur footy opinion I think I might stick with an AFL coach on this one

an ex-coach bandwagon. there is a reason why he doesnt have a job anymore. and thats because his team didnt perform. miller was one of the main culprits.

he has no confidence because he has failed to perform. i was a big fan of miller. and with his size etc i really hope he makes it, but he has about as much chance of making it at this stage in his career as wowoedin has of being picked back up by an afl club in this seasons draft. he might play a few more games, hell he might be around for another 6-7 years, holland is still playing isnt he? but he wont be the superstar CHF many thought he could be. he will be a depth key position player who struggles to string games together, especially if our drafting is any good the next 5 years.

and for the record, imo, based on performances too date... holland <<<<< miller any day, any time, any position.