The Draft Pick Upgrade Thread

13 minutes ago, old55 said:

It's likely 28.

Maybe GC will give us 41 back and we can package 40, 41, 49, 54 and 65 to Brisbane for 32 and 34.

Gives us 5, 13, 32 and 34.

Juicy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Storm Boy said:

Carlton are now targeting West Coast Eagles number 3 pick to snare Finn O'Sullivan, who is the cousin of Sam Walsh. 

Can't see how Eagles say yes to that.

It will essentially be pick 4 for 15 and 17. Carlton would be adding something else to make it work, a player perhaps?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nascent said:

It will essentially be pick 4 for 15 and 17. Carlton would be adding something else to make it work, a player perhaps?

If Carlton can get 12 to the Saints pick 8 using a combination of late picks and players (which won’t be easy as they have no middle round picks and no high quality players on the market) they could potentially do 8 and 14 for 3.

The Eagles might consider that if it nets them Draper (rumoured Eagles target) and Liam Baker.

Realistically I doubt it happens. They’d probably need a FOS slide to get him in range where 12 and 14 for the Saints pick 7. And even then I’m not sure the Saints are giving up quality for quantity. 

• Like 1

We have a history of continuing to trade up as high as possible, so IF we did secure GC 13. I wouldn't rule that out being on traded with pick 5 to North for 2 and 25 maybe something else later or pick swaps.

If there is a player Taylor rates as a must get then we are likely to continue to push up the order. North communicated early in draft period happy to trade back just a few spots and something else for thier pick 2, with 5 & 13 we could do that.

Yes It's a very even draft however we offered the Windsor and Kolt picks for the Hawks Watson pick last year. And also tried for Bailey Humphrey his draft year. The top few players will eventually separate as they always do and our pick 5 might not secure Taylor's first choice. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

To make 13 and 28 work we'd need to finish top 3

Don’t get caught up in the whole points discussion, it’s irrelevant unless you have academy, nga or father sons in the 1st rd 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Nascent said:

Especially since 15 and 17 will drop down to 20+ after bid matching 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kolt 39 said:

We have a history of continuing to trade up as high as possible, so IF we did secure GC 13. I wouldn't rule that out being on traded with pick 5 to North for 2 and 25 maybe something else later or pick swaps.

If there is a player Taylor rates as a must get then we are likely to continue to push up the order. North communicated early in draft period happy to trade back just a few spots and something else for thier pick 2, with 5 & 13 we could do that.

Yes It's a very even draft however we offered the Windsor and Kolt picks for the Hawks Watson pick last year. And also tried for Bailey Humphrey his draft year. The top few players will eventually separate as they always do and our pick 5 might not secure Taylor's first choice. 

You seem to obsessed with history of JT in a not so bountiful draft. The difference here is that there are about 6/7 standout mids worthy of top 5/6/7 category. 

I believe if we can get another top10 by trading then we should not up grade and get not only a top mid but either Tauru or Armstrong asa KPF although I believe that Jefferson plus the trio of JVR Harry and Disco will develop their games to another level in 2025 due to fitness and better forward coaching. 

Plus with both Disco Harry and Kentfield ( if he improves) could always be used in defence if needed permanently or as cameo roles during games as required. Of course our choices would be even better if we can get Derkson over the line from GWS. 
Naturally Kossie Fritta Chandler Pup Brown The Kolt and Harry Sharp will be needed to play as goalkickers around these taller targets.

surely this is an opportunity to get our scoring and aggression  in our game plan to match our defensive talent and also to allow for an improved midfield as well. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, 58er said:

You seem to obsessed with history of JT in a not so bountiful draft. The difference here is that there are about 6/7 standout mids worthy of top 5/6/7 category. 

I believe if we can get another top10 by trading then we should not up grade and get not only a top mid but either Tauru or Armstrong asa KPF although I believe that Jefferson plus the trio of JVR Harry and Disco will develop their games to another level in 2025 due to fitness and better forward coaching. 

Plus with both Disco Harry and Kentfield ( if he improves) could always be used in defence if needed permanently or as cameo roles during games as required. Of course our choices would be even better if we can get Derkson over the line from GWS. 
Naturally Kossie Fritta Chandler Pup Brown The Kolt and Harry Sharp will be needed to play as goalkickers around these taller targets.

surely this is an opportunity to get our scoring and aggression  in our game plan to match our defensive talent and also to allow for an improved midfield as well. 

Not obsessed at all, was a comment mentioning what JT and Lamb have previously tried to do. I'm fine with whatever they decide is best. The draft this year is a lot deeper than a lot of prior drafts that is very well known by anyone that follows U18's. Purely if JT believes there is a standout which he may or may not then wouldn't rule it out that MFC trade up as high as they can.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I just watched a highlights package for each of those 8 players (and that’s about all I’ll see of them). For me Sid Draper stood out for his clearance work and kicking. Tauru has so much potential. Langford and Smillie also looked good. 

Sid has the most advanced stoppage craft of any non Ashcroft player in this draft, he looks really good getting in and out and through traffic. He looks like a right footed Zach Merrett when he’s up and running. He’s balanced, quick, attacking. But his ball use struggled at SANFL level in amongst the bigger bodies and in less space. Whether that’s something that will fix with time or not will be a big question for recruiters.

I suspect North won’t muck around and will grab Tauru with pick 2. Elite intercept markers are just too valuable and they need one. 

Smilie’s one of the trickier players to rate, he does some stuff that looks like pick 1 but he needs a lot of development. Tom Green fell way too far in his draft, teams might be repeating the mistake if Smillie falls too.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Could only seem like value if you're making an assessment of next year's draft compared to this one and think 13 in this one is worth much more than (for example) 13 in 2025.

My reference point is the trade for Lever, which looked like 'overs' on paper but then 2017 turned out to have a very solid group in the picks 20-40 range (actually better than the 10-20 range!) and the 2018 draft turned out to be very patchy outside the top half-dozen or so.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

A year of development shouldn't be underestimated, look at the expectations on Windsor and Kolt for next season.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

I think it's worth noting that 13 in THIS draft is seen by most experts as being the quality of a top 5-6 pick in some other drafts, which is why we would be willing to give up what potentially looks like overs on the surface. 

5 and 13 will very likely be two very very handy players for a long time, and we already have a nice little core of young talent building. 

Jason Taylor is consistently the best asset this club has had for the last number of years. 

• Like 13

It’s interesting that Richardson stated clearly in an interview that we’d be looking to not get any younger. Now it looks like our trading is on a 21 year old from Brisbane, potentially a 23 year old from GWS and a batch of baby faced draftees. (Tom Campbell aside) It feels to me that post reviews he may be on the outer. It also could just of easily been our thought at the time that some draft picks were on the way out for Houston. Personally I’m all for the draft. If we can have some solid youth join our emerging talent our list can be well on the way to revitalised. Maybe we’ve closed the window but opened the door? 
Its Beautiful Reaction GIF

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

It’s interesting that Richardson stated clearly in an interview that we’d be looking to not get any younger. Now it looks like our trading is on a 21 year old from Brisbane, potentially a 23 year old from GWS and a batch of baby faced draftees. (Tom Campbell aside) It feels to me that post reviews he may be on the outer. It also could just of easily been our thought at the time that some draft picks were on the way out for Houston. Personally I’m all for the draft. If we can have some solid youth join our emerging talent our list can be well on the way to revitalised. Maybe we’ve closed the window but opened the door?

Usually we get a better result when plan A doesn't go our way

Going to the draft is a win even if our hand was forced from the Houston stuff

Part of me did understand Richardson's logic at the time though, we lost Jordon, Harmes, Brayshaw, Grundy and replaced them with kids for the most part

Or in Gus' case, didn't replace him with anyone given the timing of his retirement

Edited by adonski
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, layzie said:

Takes a cynical so and so to think that 

I’m not against trading our F1st but I don’t think it’s being overly cynical to think we might find ourselves in the bottom 6 again next year. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Colm said:

I’m not against trading our F1st but I don’t think it’s being overly cynical to think we might find ourselves in the bottom 6 again next year. 

No bottom 6 is a perfectly fair assumption.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

Its Beautiful Reaction GIF

I think some of what Richo was referring to was how young our side got at the end of the season. Young flankers, trying new guys on ball, really inexperienced tall forwards. 

ANB is the only best 22 player we’ve lost since the end of the year.

Our best backline is still experienced and the young flankers have more seasoning.

Tracc back in hopefully does a lot for the midfield/forward line. Spargo and Sharp hopefully cover some of what we lose from ANB. Maybe add a delisted free agent too.

And it’s at least another year for our young key forwards. Plus perhaps we can still get Derksen. Can we get something from McAdam and even Fullarton?

The side should have a nice smattering of youth including at least 1 kid taken high this year but ideally doesn’t reach the levels of youth we hit late in the season.

• Like 2

One potential exchange is

Lions give Harry Sharp and pick 32 (584 points) 

Dees give picks 40,49, 54, 65 (1041 points)

*Brisbane get additional 457 points

*Dees then have 5,28,32 in draft …

Yes? No? Maybe? 

Nb …Equivalent points match for picks 49,54,65 is roughly pick 32. Dees giving up 40 for Sharp.  ?!?!?! But actually it’s more like MFC giving up 49 because Lions would only give up pick 32 for picks that deliver much “higher points” in exchange. 

🤔Dees also could exchange MFC 2025 future 1st for 2024 GC Pick 13 to get Four picks in first “32” … JT 🧙‍♀️

• Like 3