Clayton Oliver interview with Unlaced

Couldn't find this posted anywhere after using the search, somewhat relaxed chat filmed sometime after the Brownlow. 
Some highlights I found interesting. 

- He did his hamstring 2 more times after doing it for the first time against Port Adelaide in 2023
- Impact of Brayshaw's retirement and what he did for the team
- ANB is one of his favorite player to play with
- The club and players laugh at all the articles the media writes about their culture (said around the 1 hour mark) quoted "it's a load of sh*t" 
- Nathan Jones welcomed him to football with an elbow to the throat in his first training session. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

- He did his hamstring 2 more times after doing it for the first time against Port Adelaide in 2023
- The club and players laugh at all the articles the media writes about their culture (said around the 1 hour mark) quoted "it's a load of sh*t" 
- Nathan Jones welcomed him to football with an elbow to the throat in his first training session. 

"Welcome to the OC B****" 

Edited by layzie
  • Haha 4

I found the Brodie Holland - Brent Montgomery incident mentioned in an old Bulldogs Youtube clip.

You don't have to wait long - it was a snipe coming in off the line at the opening bounce.

I get deeply disturbed these days anytime I see that 'fencing pose' response to a hit, ever since doing a police/emergency transcript set related to an incident where a lady in a kind of mobility scooter was cleaned up by a car. Vivid moment vividly told by multiple witnesses, including an off-duty medic in a following car who saw the lady go into that fencing pose before she'd even hit the ground.

Holland got six weeks at the time - imagine the suspension for Holland now. Went straight past the ball without even showing an interest, left the ground at full speed, not only led with the shoulder but drove upwards with the elbow and directed the hit specifically to the head on an unsuspecting player who had no reason to anticipate contact.

Does the tribunal even have a category for 'premeditated' beyond deliberate? Honestly, if I saw an obviously planned incident like that now I'd be calling for the coach to cop a suspension as well.

Edited by Little Goffy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Couldn't find this posted anywhere after using the search, somewhat relaxed chat filmed sometime after the Brownlow. 
Some highlights I found interesting. 

A wonderful interview!

Fingers crossed Clayton Oliver stays at the Demons! 🤞

• Like 4

To be honest sounds like Clayton can’t wait to get back into serious training with his team mates at his club.!!

• Like 7

I will be filthy if he's not at the club going forward.

Seems like he has his life back in order, he wouldn't be doing and 1 hour long podcast if he didn't.

All these Journos are full of 💩.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I watched this last night and came away thinking that outwith any personal issues he might have he’s a down to earth humble guy. Something pretty spectacular must have happened or come to light in the last week for him to be touring oppo players farms. 

• Like 1

You didn’t get any impression of a club with culture problems 

his respect for Gawn was highlighted 

his injury challenges are discussed above

great interview and very likeable guy 

Edited by dino rover
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Listened to it last night, good interview. Lots of respect for the guys that helped him and he never fails to give Billy Stretch a shout out for helping him early on with training and dietary habits. 

The bit about re-injuring his hammy twice more after the Port game, well aware that hamstrings can be re-injured and it's a balancing act with rehab but it was public knowledge that the club had him running laps not even a week after the first injury. To me this either says two things: A) The club completely mismanaged his injury B) He was so desperate to get back and probably defied orders to rush himself back, or both. Not an expert and happy for people to add to this but this period will always be questionable. 

To his credit though the interview made me realise how often players are playing through other injuries, when he came back in 2023 he then got the knee issue and as we know his last game this year he was battling 3 different injuries. Makes you realise how much it takes just to get a player on the field sometimes. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

The bit about re-injuring his hammy twice more after the Port game, well aware that hamstrings can be re-injured and it's a balancing act with rehab but it was public knowledge that the club had him running laps not even a week after the first injury. To me this either says two things: A) The club completely mismanaged his injury B) He was so desperate to get back and probably defied orders to rush himself back, or both. Not an expert and happy for people to add to this but this period will always be questionable. 

Our fitness and conditioning has been in the toilet since Burgess left. There was a lot of talk at the time about how his replacement had apprenticed under Burgess and would be following the same program, but subsequent evidence (pattern of last qtr fadeouts in 2023, being miles off in 2024), and management of several players' injuries, puts a significant question marks on what we're doing.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

6 minutes ago, layzie said:

To me this either says two things: A) The club completely mismanaged his injury B) He was so desperate to get back and probably defied orders to rush himself back, or both. Not an expert and happy for people to add to this but this period will always be questionable. 

I don't know but from the outside it has to be partly B - do you remember there were matches last year where Oliver was not selected but he was wearing the sub top and training / stretching on the boundary line - while the game was being played?

It's like giving an 10yo a sense of purpose to be part of the team who can't deal with not playing.

Clearly Clarry is a handful - it seems this was managable until last year - as others have said things came crashing down for him after breaking up with his gf and getting his first significant injury.  I'm sure the club hasn't been perfect but I don't think there's a manual for what they've had to deal with.

Ironically (so Melbourne), that if he does leave, it is because we stuck by him last year and helped him get to a better place mentally that we will now only be able to extract a fraction of his value.  We've done the right thing by him as a person - but ultimately it seems to have played a role in fracturing the club and now we're far worse off.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gs77 said:

Our fitness and conditioning has been in the toilet since Burgess left. There was a lot of talk at the time about how his replacement had apprenticed under Burgess and would be following the same program, but subsequent evidence (pattern of last qtr fadeouts in 2023, being miles off in 2024), and management of several players' injuries, puts a significant question marks on what we're doing.

You might be right.  But I think backing up finals year after year is hard - we had the jump on finals teams in 2021 as we didn't play finals and had those extra few weeks to recover and train.  Is that why our fitness struggled?  I also think the game style of other teams evolved and ours is very taxing to keep up all season.

I don't feel we've had a heap of injuries due to training / management - a lot have been collision injuries which the fitness / medical staff can't control.  The issue I have had is bringing top 23 players in while underdone - why aren't they made to earn it via the VFL.  Clarry's situation is different but surely he should have had to earn his stripes there this year before coming into the seniors.

• Like 4

Just had a long discussion with someone who knows and this person will drive Clayton down to GMHBA Stadium if it helps get the deal done for him to go to geelong.

Tipping 900K by the Ctas and we throw in 400K ish.

This chat was a second source confirming why Dr Laura resigned from the club last November.  Clayton related.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I don't know but from the outside it has to be partly B - do you remember there were matches last year where Oliver was not selected but he was wearing the sub top and training / stretching on the boundary line - while the game was being played?

It's like giving an 10yo a sense of purpose to be part of the team who can't deal with not playing.

Clearly Clarry is a handful - it seems this was managable until last year - as others have said things came crashing down for him after breaking up with his gf and getting his first significant injury.  I'm sure the club hasn't been perfect but I don't think there's a manual for what they've had to deal with.

Ironically (so Melbourne), that if he does leave, it is because we stuck by him last year and helped him get to a better place mentally that we will now only be able to extract a fraction of his value.  We've done the right thing by him as a person - but ultimately it seems to have played a role in fracturing the club and now we're far worse off.

I do, in particular the one against the Saints at Marvel. 

One of the stranger times to be doing hamstring rehab. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

On 02/10/2024 at 20:22, DeeZone said:

To be honest sounds like Clayton can’t wait to get back into serious training with his team mates at his club.!!

Trouble is he hasn’t hit anything to do except play footy. That’s why I don’t think he is all that serious as long as he plays in the AFL. Could prefer us probably but will forgive and forget any current misgivings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, layzie said:

I do, in particular the one against the Saints at Marvel. 

One of the stranger times to be doing hamstring rehab. 

We didn’t play Saints at Marvel in 2024 was in 2023. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Demon17 said:

Tipping 900K by the Ctas and we throw in 400K ish.

Why would we help the Cats out?  I don't see that we particularly want Oliver to go. If he stays and self-destructs, we are spared the last few mill.  If he stays and comes back to form with MFC help, he will be worth the money.

• Like 1