POSTGAME: Rd 24 vs Collingwood

We’ve blooded a lot of youngsters this year, how many look like they could be A graders? Maybe two? Windsor and Mcvee? A lot of role players in the mix, Howes,AMW,Tholstrup,Laurie, Kynan Brown etc. Let’s not pretend we’re brimming with exceptional youth, can’t believe it looks like we want to trade out our pick 5. 

• Like 2

Disappointing end to a disappointing season. We better get the offseason right ie a proper forward and proper back up ruckman. Fingers crossed.  God I hate collywobbles. 

15 hours ago, Demonland said:

The Dees played insipid, error riddled & uninspiring footy all night and in a lightning delayed match they eventually succumbed to Collingwood by 46 points at the MCG in the final game of the year. Thank God this season is finally over. Bring on 2025. 

PostGameRd242024.png

God maynard is a [censored] wit. 

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, Colm said:

Yes, I love Max as player and as a captain. But he has very little mongrel in him. I can’t remember ever seeing him getting physical to stand up for one of our players. Not his style I guess and why should he when none of our players do it for him when the opposition target him all game both on and off the ball. 

I have but it's a rare thing.
As for the other players looking after him he's not only the captain but the biggest bloke we've got on the ground.
Should be looking after himself.

23 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

We’ve blooded a lot of youngsters this year, how many look like they could be A graders? Maybe two? Windsor and Mcvee? A lot of role players in the mix, Howes,AMW,Tholstrup,Laurie, Kynan Brown etc. Let’s not pretend we’re brimming with exceptional youth, can’t believe it looks like we want to trade out our pick 5. 

I'm bullish on Tholstrup developing into a serious on-baller. Has power and thirst for the contest. Probably won't move there full-time for a couple years though.

If we get a top 5 pick I hope we use that at the draft, or worse case split it and keep at least one first rounder while bringing an established best 22 player.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, fr_ap said:

If we can't find some genuine mids, we're bottom 4. 

Worst midfield in the AFL by a mile right now. 

I can see light at the end of the tunnel with the midfield.  You can't include Tracc in next years midfield for obvious reasons but given that we pick up another kid like Windsor as a midfielder in the draft (each year there are 2 or 3 midfielders who make a first year impact).  Yze looks like a good midfield prospect as well.   McVee is not a successful midfielder this year because of lack of bulk, but a taller midfielder with evasive skills is definitely what we need, so hopefully he puts some weight on.  Clarrie going to Red Bull will make a huge difference if he regains the previous 4 years effectiveness.  If Rivers can get more of the ball and improve his disposal, he could be anything.  Viney was probably playing injured last night, but his previous games have been excellent.  Salem has been picking up 20 plus possessions each week and fills that role of half back/midfielder.  Young Brown likewise could put some weight on as he has the rest of the requisites.

At present we do not have the couple of players picking up 30 poseesions a game, but I see the opportunity.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Whilst not debuting this year I'd hopefully add JVR and potentially even Turner to the first group. I still hold a lot of hope for Bowey too.

I don't think we're 'brimming with exceptional youth' but it's a solid group for a team that's been in contention for the last few years

I think we'll take our first to the draft FWIW, the future first rounder on the other hand...

Edited by adonski
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I don't care what personnel were missing, Our game plan stinks. Letting the Pies waltz out of our fwd line repeatedly and handball chain into their fwd 50 was plain embarrassing.

The coaching staff have their heads in a cement block and need to pull them out ASAP

As for Fritsch and Petty. they can just leave. Petty not 1 single possession in the fwd 50 and Fritsch not one single possession in the fwd half according to the AFL tracker. Goodwin has killed Petty as a player. Congrats

Our young players have no one to show them the way. Our leaders in 2024 were abysmal

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

I don't care what personnel were missing, Our game plan stinks. Letting the Pies waltz out of our fwd line repeatedly and handball chain into their fwd 50 was plain embarrassing.

The coaching staff have their heads in a cement block and need to pull them out ASAP

As for Fritsch and Petty. they can just leave. Petty not 1 single possession in the fwd 50 and Fritsch not one single possession in the fwd half according to the AFL tracker. Goodwin has killed Petty as a player. Congrats

Our young players have no one to show them the way. Our leaders in 2024 were abysmal

Goodwin may as well have not turned up last night. Contributed SFA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

If we are really honest - zero.

Windsor is a beauty but he’s a winger without an overhead marking game, not a natural inside contested ball winner and his kicking/decision making is iffy. He’s going to be good, but A grade good? 

Judd’s a beauty too but he’s stagnated as a half back as he learns positioning, he doesn’t bust his backside to rack disposals up and his value is winning the ball back in space. He slips and slides around contact, rather than playing through it like mids do.

Our most talented young player (sub 22) is probably Jeffo. Whether we can build him in to an AFL player yet alone fully maximise his talent is obviously unknown. We’ll know more in March.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pinkshark said:

First quarter was appalling.  And the second, and the third and the fourth.  

We are weak.  In the head.  In the skills department.  In the speed department.  We actually do not even know how to play with speed.  We can't even think quick.  The idea that we play with flair, take the game on, take risks has absolutely been suppressed by goodwins tactics.  AFL football's eunuchs.

Thanks Nibbler.  A heartfelt thanks but, see ya.  I for one won't miss you.  At all.  A bell curve of a career at melbourne for sure.  That weekend in Perth in 2021 being the highpoint.  [censored] to begin with and [censored] to finish with.

Can we never play JVR in the ruck ever again please.  

Billings is no good.  Simple as that.  Not cut out for the big league.  Dan Nicholson 2.0.

In fact whoever is responsible for recruitment.  Hang your heads in shame.  Billings, McAdam, Fullarton. Schache, [censored] Hunter the little pipsqueak - let those names sink in for a little bit.  [censored] for christs sake!

[censored] season, [censored] ending.  It will get worse too over the summer most likely.  Petracca probably wants out.  

Over reaction. The second and third quarters were well contested and but for the crowd umpiring the second term we'd have won it by a couple of goals. Consecutive goals in the third had us 21 points down and another at that point would have made it interesting but a depleted group could not keep it up. They were honest for a period but ultimately not skilful or fit enough. The fact that Goody mentioned the heat the week before when he normally doesn't make those concessions tells me we were badly affected. Don't exaggerate though, the second and third terms were 100% up on that insipid first quarter.

However, I agree wholeheartedly on Billings and that handful of NQRs picked up from the Dogs, Lions  and SA.

Edited by pitmaster

8 hours ago, sisso said:

One of those nights where I questioned why I bothered making the journey from the outer south east, only to watch a miserable below par effort, game that get suspended for lightening and then trains delayed for what felt like an eternity due to some moron on the tracks….all in all a painful night we need to get our senior players match hard and committed next season. Too much left to kids tonight with predictable results. Can’t do much when half the side is sitting in a super box though.

So, you say ‘predictable results’ yet you attend anyways, then you question why you bothered attending. That makes no sense at all.

More importantly, that ‘moron on the track’ was more than likely a suicide/suicide attempt victim. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pinkshark said:

Thanks Nibbler.  A heartfelt thanks but, see ya.  I for one won't miss you.  At all.  A bell curve of a career at melbourne for sure.  That weekend in Perth in 2021 being the highpoint.  [censored] to begin with and [censored] to finish with.

Whoa. But I suppose everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, no matter how ridiculous it is.

Unrelated: I find it interesting that an individual’s inadequacies and deficiencies can manifest themselves in a brutal and undeserving takedown of a successful, hardworking, talented person. And by ‘interesting’ I really mean ‘pathetic’ 😉 

• Like 6

Thinking philosophically about this game…

If you told me in March that we’d play Collingwood without Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Lever and May I’d say ‘we’ll get beaten by 10 goals.’ If your game is built on contest and defence, and 80% of the personnel isn’t available to execute on it, then you’re not going to win.

Imagine Carlton without Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Weitering and McGovern?

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Thinking philosophically about this game…

If you told me in March that we’d play Collingwood without Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw, Lever and May I’d say ‘we’ll get beaten by 10 goals.’ If your game is built on contest and defence, and 80% of the personnel isn’t available to execute on it, then you’re not going to win.

Imagine Carlton without Cripps, Walsh, Cerra, Weitering and McGovern?

Feels like most supporters are ...

anyway @The heart beats true

Screenshot 2024-08-24 at 17.55.12.png

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

If we are really honest - zero.

Windsor is a beauty but he’s a winger without an overhead marking game, not a natural inside contested ball winner and his kicking/decision making is iffy. He’s going to be good, but A grade good? 

Judd’s a beauty too but he’s stagnated as a half back as he learns positioning, he doesn’t bust his backside to rack disposals up and his value is winning the ball back in space. He slips and slides around contact, rather than playing through it like mids do.

Our most talented young player (sub 22) is probably Jeffo. Whether we can build him in to an AFL player yet alone fully maximise his talent is obviously unknown. We’ll know more in March.

You are a harsh and ridiculous judge at times. Completely disagree with this. He's super clean below his knees, a nice kick and makes good decisions IMO.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

7 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I'm not sure what bowey offers now. I think him winning a flag in his 7th game made him to comfortable.  

Bowser was a major component for every good piece of ball movement from half back in the first half for us. When he hurt himself we were stuffed.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

And I thought there were better tailors down there in Warrnambool. Must have all gone since the demise of Fletcher Jones.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

So, you say ‘predictable results’ yet you attend anyways, then you question why you bothered attending. That makes no sense at all.

More importantly, that ‘moron on the track’ was more than likely a suicide/suicide attempt victim. 

I always attend whether I think we can win or not, wasn’t overly fussed by the loss just disappointed in the overall lack of effort and care in disposal/ball use. Surely you can’t think the boys played as well as they possibly could last night? As for the train situation they specifically said trespassers didn’t think about that other option…

6 hours ago, Colm said:

Yes, I love Max as player and as a captain. But he has very little mongrel in him. I can’t remember ever seeing him getting physical to stand up for one of our players. Not his style I guess and why should he when none of our players do it for him when the opposition target him all game both on and off the ball. 

I this max is great leader. Mongrel, as useful as it can be at times is, I think, overrated. I do wonder if it’s a team ethos or direction to not get too engaged with that sort of behaviour on field though as there are times when you would like to see something especially with max. I have to think he’s told everyone to leave it to him.

4 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Are you aware how essentially undermanned we were last night? Think about who was out. You are a typical know-it-all all whinger who knows everything better than any Melbourne Coach. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1