Gary Pert on SEN (17/8/24)

Very glad with the quick statement the other day and then Pert fronting up to Crunch Time, which is lead generally by journalists who will asks the tougher questions.

The responses around Christian Petracca were unconvincing to my ears though. It was danced around a fair bit - Both on the handling of his injury and the potential around a trade request if he wasn't contracted. That was concerning to me.

I agree with what he said about us needing to listen to people and make fixes to the direction though. That is the main crux of it all it seems. Interesting he specifically mentioned the game style also.

The comments about leadership of elite clubs, not specifically football was interesting, you do wonder who he's referencing there as it sounded like change would be happening in that area given where he considered us in that 'benchmarking'. Immediate thoughts go to Richardson I suppose.

I was frustrated by him putting our failures in recent finals down to injury though and it being lack of depth. It wasn't lack of depth, it was the failure of handling those injuries properly, just like has happened this year. Saying Oliver "had to play" this season with a plate in his hand is an indictment on the club, not an excuse for his performance.

Thought he handled the Houston discussion well enough, and I hope McRae and Clarkson get the feedback from that in terms of not talking about contracted players from other clubs. Was staggered with their comments this week.

Lastly, he sounded exasperated by the legal battle (which I won't get into it as I know we can't talk about it), so you wonder how much impact that is having at that level of CEO, Board & President.

Edited by FreedFromDesire
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I mean that’s pretty much what I would’ve expected a CEO to say. All eyes are on the club at the minute and his words will be picked apart with a magnifying glass. Has to balance not saying something that will exacerbate media speculation whilst acknowledging the obvious tensions within the club and trying to assure fans that the club is dealing with this going forward.

Not sure how I’d go being in his shoes.

• Like 3

To me he was definitive and confident with JV. Trac was just reflective. It’s not what he said but what he didn’t say.

Im not anymore or less worried, but what is apparent is things are not settled and that it will take time to settle.

Im pretty sure this would happen to most non top 4 clubs. The fact that it has played out in the media is the issue. That to me is the step too far and has to be dealt with as well and is reflective of culture - a culture where you can speak up and feel that you will be heard and not have to leak to the media to be taken seriously.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Interesting that he mentioned Trac’s role. I wonder if Trac is annoyed that he copped that injury playing up forward, which is a role he doesn’t want to play. 

WOW!!!

Really!!!

In recent years he has played while ill, with a broken leg, infected thumb and now with a shattered spleen.  Doesn't strike me as someone who will spit the dummy over the role he plays. 

Other roles eg ANB/Spargo/? are designed so he can be released from the mid-field and go forward.  Haven't seen any hint that he is unhappy with that.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Lucifers Hero said:

WOW!!!

Really!!!

In recent years he has played while ill, with a broken leg, infected thumb and now with a shattered spleen.  Doesn't strike me as someone who will spit the dummy over the role he plays. 

Other roles eg ANB/Spargo/? are designed so he can be released from the mid-field and go forward.  Haven't seen any hint that he is unhappy with that.  

I honestly have no idea, maybe he thinks he’s wasted up forward. I am just making a guess and I could be totally off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Just more spin. End of the day. I wouldn’t expect anything more or less - straight bat. We asked leadership from the club, this is about as good as it gets. 

At least he's fronted up.

Where's Craig Kelly from the Pies answering his racial issues to the members. Silence behind the President who was as bad defending him.
Media on Pies or Bombers culture?  Crickets.

• Like 4
  • Clap 2

38 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

I honestly have no idea, maybe he thinks he’s wasted up forward. I am just making a guess and I could be totally off. 

Im not sure on that, in the past he has actually said he likes playing forward. My take was more that his perception of how the reacted to his imjury was more the issue:

Demons star Petracca not fussed playing mid or forward | Shepparton News (sheppnews.com.au)

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jaded No More said:

So what did you want him to say, word for word please 

I merely said it was waffle. Which it was. You disagree? 

4 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I merely said it was waffle. Which it was. You disagree? 

It was exactly what you can expect from a CEO

I have no idea what people expect. If he doesn’t speak fans complain, if he does, fans still complain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 2

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

It was exactly what you can expect from a CEO

I have no idea what people expect. If he doesn’t speak fans complain, if he does, fans still complain.

Who said I expected him to say anything else? Or say anything at all for that matter. I'm not part of the angry mob demanding answers or that heads roll. 

• Like 1

Some of what I considered to be the key points:

1. Our depth failed to stand up in the absence of Gus/Smith and the later injuries to key players
  2. The off-season presented "distractions" and we didn't cope with them
  3. We've "lost some alignment" within the group
  4. One of the issues Trac is frustrated about is the response to his injury, even though the club continues to say the response followed all protocols (because it was "reviewed")
  5. We need to "benchmark" off the better sides and work out whether there's something in our game plan that doesn't stack up
  6. The club will be communicating this review process with members
  7. We started the "benchmarking" process halfway through the year, to work out if there were things we needed to improve mid-season but also to prepare for the off-season
  8. The "benchmarking" is also with elite clubs outside AFL
  9. He accepts fans will be frustrated with the club's failure to bring in a key forward
  10. He sounds frustrated with this news coinciding with Houston's interest and leading to him cooling
  11. "Will Jack Viney stay?" "Yep"...but then "I expect him to be playing". That answer started very convincing and ended very unconvincing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

1. "Will Jack Viney stay?" "Yep"...but then "I expect him to be playing". That answer started very convincing and ended very unconvincing.

Watch Viney play today. That’s the only convincing answer you need. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

So hypothetically, what if Trac tells Pert that he has an issue with Goody's gameplan? Or he's concerned with the direction of the club in terms of our poor recruiting in recent years? Pert can't direct Trac's concerns to the respective departments. It undermines the authority of those people in the roles.

This is why an independent/external review of the club is needed. The fact that a CEO has to address the concerns of a player suggests that all is not well.

Of course he can.

• Like 2

• Demonland changed the title to Gary Pert on SEN (17/8/24)

I think Pert said what he could.  Clearly there are issues that need addressing and he can't go into all the details about that.

It doesn't mean its being handled well or poorly but there's not a lot he could say.  He can't say everything is fine with Petracca when they're still working through things and some of that might have to happen after the season is over.

The more concerning part is his reference to the ongoing legal battles (which we can't talk about here for good reason) and other "distractions" that he has no control over.  From the journalists perspective, we've heard similar statements from him before and then these distractions have got in the way.  If I was a player being courted by Melbourne, I wouldn't be convinced that these distractions are not going to continue to plague the club.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

To me he was definitive and confident with JV. Trac was just reflective. It’s not what he said but what he didn’t say.

Im not anymore or less worried, but what is apparent is things are not settled and that it will take time to settle.

Im pretty sure this would happen to most non top 4 clubs. The fact that it has played out in the media is the issue. That to me is the step too far and has to be dealt with as well and is reflective of culture - a culture where you can speak up and feel that you will be heard and not have to leak to the media to be taken seriously.

Agree with your observations. I also think re Trac the club is careful not to talk on Trac's behalf and is keeping to the facts, e.g. there are frustrations that will be worked through, he is a contracted player and will be playing for us next year.

I also think it would be natural for a player to consider their future in the game after such a traumatic injury, and this added to the rawness of Brayshaw being forced into retirement just before the season commences, it is probably a good thing for Trac to take some time away with his family, as he has done, talk to the club and approach the preseason refreshed.

• Like 1

I thought he was terrible. Basically played down all the issues at the club and spent a lot of time making excuses for things that are apparently out of his control. A far cry from Peter Jackson who would openly talk about the clubs flaws and a determination to fix them.

21 hours ago, mo64 said:

So hypothetically, what if Trac tells Pert that he has an issue with Goody's gameplan? Or he's concerned with the direction of the club in terms of our poor recruiting in recent years? Pert can't direct Trac's concerns to the respective departments. It undermines the authority of those people in the roles.

This is why an independent/external review of the club is needed. The fact that a CEO has to address the concerns of a player suggests that all is not well.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Trac's leak to the media was staunch in his defence of Goodwin.

What if it's the CEO and President he is unhappy with?

Tail wagging the dog or somebody we need to listen to?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1