POSTGAME: Rd 22 vs Port Adelaide

15 minutes ago, Red But Mostly Blue said:

Yeah that’s still a sore point. 

BUT

Bombers. Being beaten after the siren and almost certainly no finals. Small price to pay I guess for a winning moment 🤣

Right up there with the collywobbles getting beaten by 3 points and not having a 50m free kick awarded to them which is hilarious. Karma for the 50m free kick that wasn’t awarded to North against them. Suck it collywobbles. 

• Like 2

Great effort night 

were very undermanned. And our skills are so bad. But we had plenty of heart and that counts. Not sure what some posters expect. Very hard to please. 

go dees

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Crazy that we have done nothing to address our skills for years.

The irony 😂

Was it true as posted on AFL site that JVR was tactically subbed out??  Surely that was one of the worst of a series of very poor use of the sub.  

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

17 minutes ago, BDA said:

Was he injured. That’s what I assumed 

I think he must have been ill. There is obviously a bug going through the club - 3 last minute changes for illness tells us that. And one poster said he saw Clarry trying to throw up too. I suspect JVR had it too and was totally done by 3/4 time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Just now, dees189227 said:

I would have subbed fritta off. At least van rooyen offers a chop out in the ruck

Nah ... Fritta mighta pulled one out his arze.
Chandler off for me.

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

Max and Viney were great around contest, but some of our stoppage set ups are a disorganised mess. I know we're trialling guys through there but some of our marking at stoppage is under-age level. Thoughts as a midfield coach @Pennant St Dee?

Kozzy loves playing Port. He was electric and his class stands out so much as we have a void of class in our forward half and midfield. No Trac has really highlighted this.

How do we get class into our forward half? And who is it?

Such an ordinary last quarter. So disappointing. Another game lost by under a kick. I believe that's 4 now (Carlton, Brisbane, GWS and Port - note that's three of the current top 5). Win them and we're a game off top spot.

As I wrote last week, it's a nearly season.

Get pre seasons into all of our key players, bring in some more talent and next year we really should be a big top 4 chance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, monoccular said:

Was it true as posted on AFL site that JVR was tactically subbed out??  Surely that was one of the worst of a series of very poor use of the sub.  

Love Roo but he had a shocker tonight. 8 disposals at 25% efficiency. But at least he has a crack.

But I'd have subbed Clarry off tonight, lost the plot out there several times with Drew in his head all game 

• Like 3

Just now, dees189227 said:

I would have subbed fritta off. At least van rooyen offers a chop out in the ruck

Yes, but hard to sub out two players plus a few others like Turner that could have gone but a decision was made, and we have to take it on the chin. JVR was ordinary at best and gave us nothing so understand why he was subbed but the Melky did diddly squat also. Oh, for some talented players with skills.

4 minutes ago, Ollie fan said:

I think he must have been ill. There is obviously a bug going through the club - 3 last minute changes for illness tells us that. And one poster said he saw Clarry trying to throw up too. I suspect JVR had it too and was totally done by 3/4 time.

Well, they crossed the white line and were fit so no excuses please.

5 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

Yes, but hard to sub out two players plus a few others like Turner that could have gone but a decision was made, and we have to take it on the chin. JVR was ordinary at best and gave us nothing so understand why he was subbed but the Melky did diddly squat also. Oh, for some talented players with skills.

Poor ol' Melk.
Gets a qtr to do some superhuman sheet with our entries.
Was directly responsible for Strops kick at goal.
With some superhuman sheet.

Edited by Fork 'em

27 minutes ago, No10 said:

… except it was Mac Andrew

That didn’t actually worry me… what I loved was the fact that he’d just been roughed up by a couple of Essendung players a minute before, and got to rub their faces in it, and he got to give the crowd a big “Shhhhhhhhh!!”. Pure gold!!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

Our forward pressure was fantastic tonight. Yes... it was another match that got away, but nonetheless there were signs of optimism going forward. The season is well and truly done so let's put Gawn, May, Oliver on ice for the rest of the season and come hunting again next season, hopefully with another top 6 pick recruit! I'll pass on Houston who will cost far too much, when I know we can get another quality player like Windsor in the draft. 

What I didn't like about the game was our repetitive kicking inside 50 to the top of the square which were repeatedly soaked up by the Port defence. Use some creativity going forward, hit up short leads and lower the eyes instead of bombing it in and hoping for a turnover. Secondly with our forward entries, we should have blitzed Port in the last few minutes of the 3qtr by peppering the forward line with creative entries, but instead we went into defensive mode and held up play. Port were under siege at that point and were about to break. I found myself screaming at the TV telling the players to get it into our F50. We've become so frustrating to watch because we do so many things well until it comes to our scoring or lack there of. 

Edited by Where Demons Dare
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

Have no idea why the wrist slashing from some on here. A superb performance from an incredibly undermanned team against a now top 2 team who trounced the ladder leaders by 20 goals last week. If someone said to you at the start of the season May, Brayshaw, Smith, Bowey, Petracca, Spargo, Hunter and a massively underdone and injured Oliver we're going to be missing we'd settle for a competitive 8+ goal defeat. The team we're brave and unlucky. Add the fact that a narrow loss is more than creditable and with the Suns winning we go 12th and will probably stay there I'm rapt. Don't like losing but this is different.  Praying we rest some guns for the next two weeks and see ehat Jefferson has got. We are not the spent force like many suggest. So like forward to to draft and trade period and an early return to the track after a well rested off season. 

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, dees189227 said:

I'm not sure what chandler offers sometimes

Sometimes?

He's a poor mans Spargo.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

4 minutes ago, hardtack said:

That didn’t actually worry me… what I loved was the fact that he’d just been roughed up by a couple of Essendung players a minute before, and got to rub their faces in it, and he got to give the crowd a big “Shhhhhhhhh!!”. Pure gold!!

They roughed him up at halftime as well

• Angry 1

6 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Max and Viney were great around contest, but some of our stoppage set ups are a disorganised mess. I know we're trialling guys through there but some of our marking at stoppage is under-age level. Thoughts as a midfield coach @Pennant St Dee?

Kozzy loves playing Port. He was electric and his class stands out so much as we have a void of class in our forward half and midfield. No Trac has really highlighted this.

How do we get class into our forward half? And who is it?

Such an ordinary last quarter. So disappointing. Another game lost by under a kick. I believe that's 4 now (Carlton, Brisbane, GWS and Port - note that's three of the current top 5). Win them and we're a game off top spot.

As I wrote last week, it's a nearly season.

Get pre seasons into all of our key players, bring in some more talent and next year we really should be a big top 4 chance.

I’m really not sure what I’m watching all year with our CBD and stoppage set ups, for mine we set up to win the second possession as if to strip it after they win first possession.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I'm not sure what chandler offers sometimes

Forward half pressure. Needs to build on that to be dynamic with ball going inside 50 or dangerous around goals but look at how often he tackled defenders trying to get the ball out of our 50.

• Like 1

Just now, Pennant St Dee said:

I’m really not sure what I’m watching all year with our CBD and stoppage set ups, for mine we set up to win the second possession as if to strip it after they win first possession.

Defence first Goodwin.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SPC said:

Hard to argue the Oliver point. Talked to an ex AFL player and he said that regardless of a lack of pre-season, Oliver should still be dynamic early in quarters.. I watched him walking after opponents 2 minutes into the game. He just doesn’t care. 

100%. If it’s genuinely his hand - send him to surgery. Finals is a busy now so pull the trigger on all surgeries pronto

• Like 1