Goodwin is the MAN!

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Nothing we haven't discussed but depressing....

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-demons-stand-at-the-gates-of-footy-hell-these-are-the-five-mistakes-that-got-them-there-20240808-p5k0ms.html

The slide points to a bleak future at Melbourne.

The player list is ageing and lacking depth. For all the denials, the club’s culture is questionable, as is the professionalism of a team that only three seasons ago appeared on the verge of a dynasty.

Coach Simon Goodwin’s game style has become predictable and boring.

He's not wrong.

• Like 6

what parts of the article are incorrect?

Cornes tells it like it is. no doubt he looks for headlines around trade period to drum up clicks so i'm sceptical when he writes on trade topics. He doesn't like long contracts for any player and never heard him comment otherwise. and i discount what he says about Port because he's biased but in general his comments are valid.

Our future is not set in stone. We can get back on track with some smart trading, Clarry getting back to his best, injured players returning, change up the assistants etc. all is not lost.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

27 minutes ago, BDA said:

Cornes tells it like it is. no doubt he looks for headlines around trade period to drum up clicks so i'm sceptical when he writes on trade topics. He doesn't like long contracts for any player and never heard him comment otherwise. and i discount what he says about Port because he's biased but in general his comments are valid.

Our future is not set in stone. We can get back on track with some smart trading, Clarry getting back to his best, injured players returning, change up the assistants etc. all is not lost.

Clarry has a lot of work to do next year on his disposal by hand and and foot because it is poor and not damaging at all by comparison to other top grade players and hopefully he will be in the right headspace next year to do this.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He's not wrong.

48 minutes ago, BDA said:

Signing Brayshaw when we did, on the terms we did, was completely reasonable. The "history" of concussions was a thing of the past and what happened to him at the end of 2023 doesn't mean our decision was wrong.

Signing Clarry when we did, on the terms we did, was probably something we had no choice over. If we didn't do it, someone else probably would have, irrespective of whatever he was dealing with off-field.

There are very valid discussion points around Grundy (not so much trading him IMO as failing to make it work), Petty and the depth list management issues though.

• Like 5
  • Clap 1

Bringing in the big guns now. 

Kane Cornes thinks we are bad after our worst 3 months in years. Amazing insights. Re-hashing the culture BS without any proof. 

Surprised he hasn’t gone into coaching himself. Oh wait, you have to be accountable, so that wouldn’t work 

• Like 4

I don't know why Cornes triggers supporters.  He will say stuff to grab headlines and is open about why he does it.  But he is a good analyst of the game.  He has no agenda against Melbourne and is calling it how he sees it.  He went on the Deeluded podcast in July 2021 and predicted us as premiers reminding everyone how good and underrated Fritsch is, how BB will come good that year, how good our defence was etc etc.  He is different to say Dermott, someone with a hatred of MFC, who even after we won the flag hardly conceded it happened.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Cornes hasn’t said anything in that article, that others on here haven’t been saying for 3 Seasons. 
this coming Summer Preseason is crucial for the Club, we need new faces, new ideas. 
Contest & Defence are very important elements of the game, but they are not the only cornerstones. 
I believe Goodwin has taken away the Flair and Dare in our game,to the detriment of the list. It is a hard slog watching MFC Games now, we are not “entertaining” which is why the Crowds are falling away. I get that serious injuries have played their part, but we are not alone in that category. 
I don’t think we can win any of the 3 remaining games this year. 
10 wins for the year…. 
How will the Club handle this….????

• Like 4
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Cornes hasn’t said anything in that article, that others on here haven’t been saying for 3 Seasons. 
this coming Summer Preseason is crucial for the Club, we need new faces, new ideas. 
Contest & Defence are very important elements of the game, but they are not the only cornerstones. 
I believe Goodwin has taken away the Flair and Dare in our game,to the detriment of the list. It is a hard slog watching MFC Games now, we are not “entertaining” which is why the Crowds are falling away. I get that serious injuries have played their part, but we are not alone in that category. 
10 wins for the year…. 

I thought there was a bit of flair and dare in eg our first quarter against GWS. 

In broader terms, I think we tend to rely on contest and defence for the first half or so and then, having weakened the opposition, we open up the game to our advantage. Of course, it hasn't worked that way this year, for many reasons including injuries, a depleted list, and an attempt to change the game plan.

Just now, Ollie fan said:

I thought there was a bit of flair and dare in eg our first quarter against GWS. 

In broader terms, I think we tend to rely on contest and defence for the first half or so and then, having weakened the opposition, we open up the game to our advantage. Of course, it hasn't worked that way this year, for many reasons including injuries, a depleted list, and an attempt to change the game plan.

Yes the 1st Q against GW$ was fantastic, but we couldn’t sustain it.
It was GW$ who started pinging the ball wide and running in numbers after that. 
We haven’t had a sustained run at anything this year, i understand that. Personally i just think Goody only really knows Contest and Defence, and our Senior Players have hit the wall. 
Run & Carry can also be devastating when executed properly 

When Lingers and Gus played Wings, it was our major point of difference 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/08/2024 at 11:41, dazzledavey36 said:

First I have heard of this..? Is there information or facts to back this up?

I know there for a few off season surgeries, but having only 2 players complete pre season is a bit far fetched to me... 

Have to be corrected if you've got information that states this.

It was a direct quote at a post season review meeting in the mcc dining room post 2019 around November by Pert( I think- it may have been a mc member). I was at the meeting. 

It was a clear statement of fact. Nathan Jones and 1 other were all the completed all pre season work

The issue was backed  up  personally to a friend by former club coaching staff member Brendan McCarthy. "...the team went into the 2018 pf exhausted..."

On 06/08/2024 at 13:01, Engorged Onion said:

Including OMAC AND SAM FROST 😂

Hang on. Omac and frosty at least had good 2018 finals. Remember frosty's first quarter torp against the hawks!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, DubDee said:

Bringing in the big guns now. 

Kane Cornes thinks we are bad after our worst 3 months in years. Amazing insights. Re-hashing the culture BS without any proof. 

Surprised he hasn’t gone into coaching himself. Oh wait, you have to be accountable, so that wouldn’t work 

Nice one.   Where's opinion piece on Kelly at the Pies and failure to fix racist culture.

Kane knows how the bills are paid.

The snow cloche was the give away 

• Like 3

It’s good that Cornes has turned the spotlight onto Melbourne. The mainstream footy media are usually so obsessed with the big Vic clubs that MFC flies under the radar for way too long.

For ‘questionable’ list management decisions I would substitute ‘poor’, especially in regard to trading in of other club’s players, but also with our exchange/trading of picks at the draft.

The club should have been up to speed with Oliver’s issues when they re-signed him and thus been more cautious. They should have also been aware that anyone with Brayshaw’s concussion history is one serious ‘Maynard’ away from a career ending injury.

Bringing Grundy in was a mistake that didn’t recognise our main weaknesses (lack of midfield speed and poor midfield foot disposal skill), but selling him for next to nothing and also strengthening a flag rival was an even bigger blunder.

Then replacing Grundy with Fullarton, whose contested ruck work issues should surely have been revealed with a modicum of research into his Brisbane playing history, compounded the error. Fullarton might yet make it, but it seems we wanted to turn a ruckman, Grundy, into a key forward (fail), and now want to turn a potential key forward, Fullarton, into a ruckman?

I disagree with Cornes about trading out Petty. At the time we needed to keep him, assuming 2024 was our last chance at a flag with Gawn and May in the last year or so of their prime. It didn’t work out with Petty this year, but his serious foot injury appears to have had a greater impact than anticipated and hopefully he’ll be back to his old self next year.

Our depth issues are part of our list management issue, but Jordon and the unmentioned Bedford were both victims of Goodwin’s poor use of subs.

As for Goodwin, a lack of creativity, slow response to game day and broader issues, favouritism of certain players etc etc are ongoing issues. Even if he doesn’t change, I expect he’ll get away with it for a few more years.

The Cornes snow reference was unfortunate but (I can’t help myself…) it does appear to be a club whose future is threatening to turn into slush.

Edited by napster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

10 wins for the year…. 

He has not so much taken away the flair, what did show up is lack of skills, run and players who struggle with football awareness when under pressure or when when we don't have the ball.

Will be interested to see what changes the club will make to address these problems, and see how Goodwin reacts regarding the game plan.

9 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

He has not so much taken away the flair, what did show up is lack of skills, run and players who struggle with football awareness when under pressure or when when we don't have the ball.

Will be interested to see what changes the club will make to address these problems, and see how Goodwin reacts regarding the game plan.

Not disagreeing, but where have those traits gone?

we should not have lost Basic Skill execution and Run from our list. That to me is fully on the Coaching staff 

I don’t understand how a Professional Organization can get to this point 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Not disagreeing, but where have those traits gone?

we should not have lost Basic Skill execution and Run from our list. That to me is fully on the Coaching staff 

I don’t understand how a Professional Organization can get to this point 

Never really had them we played a contest game, boundary side to boundary side contest to contest, it will be interesting to see what direction Goodwin goes in, we have players who run all day but at one pace Viney, Sparrow, ANB and to a fair degree Petracca who will spend more time pinch hitting in the midfield, Oliver has some toe but doesn't really hurt sides forward of the ball, let's hope there is a big change coming. 

14 hours ago, napster said:

They should have also been aware that anyone with Brayshaw’s concussion history is one serious ‘Maynard’ away from a career ending injury.

Edited for accuracy.

This is on the AFL, not the MFC.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Can’t open the article but  they traded in who can’t get a game vs what’s walked out the door is good start & of course the Grundy debacle abodes after 12 rounds & Goodwin flip flop game plan 

Edited by Demonsone
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Can’t open the article but the spuds they traded in who can’t get a game vs what’s walked out the door is good start & of course the Grundy debacle abodes after 12 rounds & Goodwin flip flop game plan 

Would you PLEASE stop referring to MFC players as spuds. It’s a simple request. 

14 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Best to ignore the troll, @WalkingCivilWar.

It's been making the exact same post every week for months now.  

33 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Can’t open the article but the spuds they traded in who can’t get a game vs what’s walked out the door is good start & of course the Grundy debacle abodes after 12 rounds & Goodwin flip flop game plan 

You two separated at birth?

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

Best to ignore the troll, @WalkingCivilWar.

It's been making the exact same post every week for months now.  

I’m not a troll just a passionate member supporter since 1972 … I removed that word … but our club jabs stuffed up the biggest opportunity to win multiple flags ..  poor trading full stop … I believe the u23s are great ‘!

On 06/08/2024 at 07:44, Cranky Franky said:

2017 Failed badly

2018 Coached well

2019 Failed badly

2020 Failed badly

2021 Coached very well

2022 Coached very poorly

2023 Coached well - unlucky

2024 Started well then the wheels fell off

Considering over the journey he inherited the best defence, midfield & ruck in the competition this is a pretty sketchy record.

Cranky Knows Best: Hollywood, 1950/60's, Disneyland. 

And Cranky knows how to Coach goodly or badly, and knows a badly lot about failure. Nothing 'substantive' to back up his credentials about Coach Judging, then again, Demonland is full of armchair experts who know everything about coaching, football, luck, Injury management, recruiting etc. etc etc etc, how to pick a team, who to pick and who has played well, as indicated by a player who gets a total downgrade in the Three Word Assessment segment getting two and three votes in the Player of the Year voting.  Yep, dat's Democracy, dat's Demonland, the Land of the Free Thinkers.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1