Oliver Trade Rumours

2 minutes ago, RedFox said:

Agree - he clearly wasn't anywhere near the level of fitness required for obvious reasons. Similarly, our midfield was so badly depleted that even at half fitness he was a more viable ball winner than anybody playing in the twos. In hindsight he should have been put on ice as soon as his hand injury was preventing him from performing the fundamentals.

Clarry needs to be pushed hard this offseason.
He needs to concentrate on one thing. Getting 100% the fittest he has ever been, I don’t want to hear any excuses. I want to see him pushing the limits.
We need to see results next year…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JJJ said:

There are plenty of people working in the AFL landscape that just see it as a job, they are not passionate about the brand/club. Some of these people might feel a bit of a rush by telling a journo one or two things to start. Then it becomes something more permanent.

Nailed it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Clarry needs to be pushed hard this offseason.
He needs to concentrate on one thing. Getting 100% the fittest he has ever been, I don’t want to hear any excuses. I want to see him pushing the limits.
We need to see results next year…

I am convinced Clarry is a proud person and will want to prove himself again as a top player. Big pre season coming up  (I hope)    The fact that MAX  says he is a good person is enough for me.  Digressing..  Just remember after a bad year with injuries  we lost to Brisbane up there by a few points Port at MCG by a few points and GWS by a few points.  I expect to make finals this year   Fit trac and Clarrie  ... here we come...   and with young blokes coming through Windsor etc       Hopefully good trade for ANB     injuries as always the key.             Glad Danniher retired  makes them less potent LOL

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JJJ said:

There are plenty of people working in the AFL landscape that just see it as a job, they are not passionate about the brand/club. Some of these people might feel a bit of a rush by telling a journo one or two things to start. Then it becomes something more permanent.

My understanding there are also plenty of people involved in these negotiations & dealings that are outside of the club, especially player agents, whose incentive is clearly to agitate for more and more player movement, which the rumour mill frenzy feeds.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BLWNBA said:

I can't speak for the original poster, but essentially, diagnoses are often used as a shield, often without any nuance. Whilst there are legitimate reasons and occurrences where a diagnosis can play a part in an aggravating / mitigating manner, to have it bandied about in such a trivial manner, is not only disingenuous but completely trivialises and diminishes legitimate cases where a diagnoses is  a causative mechanism. I'd also suggest in many cases, these factors are far more causative than enabling. 

He seems to me to have genuine troubles relating to his diagnosis that would impact being in a high performance environment. It’s impossible to know from the outside how his ADD plays out day to day and what effect that has on his life. It’s clearly a significant one. 

14 minutes ago, JJJ said:

Correct supporters are way more passionate than most players. (not all)        

While I appreciate that there are posters on here who have ADD and other mental health issues, I really think that unless you are privy to Clarry’s personal medical history, you shouldn’t be commenting on what he is dealing with. 
It is completely inappropriate, and in the wrong hands, can be really harmful. 

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Roost it far said:

I've read all the posts and I've got just the this, it shows the trajectory of the Melbourne FC since the Flag on the left and on the right the club today as it prepares to talk itself back into contention.

failed crash and burn GIF by truTV’s Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monstersyear plane GIF

Maybe MFC will feature on the next season of Air Crash Investigation?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

While I appreciate that there are posters on here who have ADD and other mental health issues, I really think that unless you are privy to Clarry’s personal medical history, you shouldn’t be commenting on what he is dealing with. 
It is completely inappropriate, and in the wrong hands, can be really harmful. 

I really just don't want it mentioned in media stories. Not right now anyway.

If they really want to write something just say 'personal problems'. That's all that's required for now. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, RedFox said:

From the outside looking in all I saw from Clayton this season was that of somebody who was doing all the team things. He was getting around all of his teammates on the park, revelling in celebrating milestones, re-signings, playing a key role in the Kozzy doco. If he is a nightmare to work with, it certainly didn't appear that way on game day or in the media content put out by the club.

Even as recently in his podcast interview he spoke pretty well and seemed energised to attack this pre-season. Our skipper on radio this morning says he loves him as a player and even more as a person.

AFL footy is a 24/7 job, not just what happens on match day.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

My understanding there are also plenty of people involved in these negotiations & dealings that are outside of the club, especially player agents, whose incentive is clearly to agitate for more and more player movement, which the rumour mill frenzy feeds.

Yep. I agree. Player agents generally are ok as leaking info can cut both ways but at this time of year, they’re pretty leaky.

Some players do it under their own steam too. One of our own players did that this season. Offering info for the story which helped the player too. Happens at every club.

35 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't disagree with this but it comes back to mismanagement by the club and that is who must be held accountable. Oliver is a symptom of this culture, not the cause.

Combine that with the way the potential trade scenario has been handled and it is complete dysfunctional. We are a laughing stock and it is not because of Oliver.

Really Doc you are forgetting that Clayton is 27 and as such even with his imperfections and immaturity it is about time that he toed the line. There are certain ways of behaviour as an AFL player and Club man and all you can say is MFC has mishandled it. 
This is after 2/3/4 possible years of keeping it quiet. I don’t want to lose Clarry but he was given a warning last year and although it appears he has gone well there are still issues strong enough to cause unhappiness within the playing group. Are the Leadership group having any say in this?  I understand also the Footy Dept vs the Admin/ Board who have overseeing role in Club brand behaviour and culture .

Perhaps this is a last chance for Clarry to shape up completely and ask for any further help/ or fully explain his actions. The Club should not agree to any paltry offers from Geelong like a Round1 future and a player not from the seniors.  They are not  serious if they expect not to pay 2025 prices for a potentially Top 10 AFL star albeit at a crucial stage in his footy and life no matter their recent record with other malcontents from other Clubs. 

12 hours ago, DEE fence said:

Sitting here in my office in Baidoa, Somalia, I have stress-eaten a packet of Java house macadamia bickies, a bag of Natural Confectionary dinosaur jellies, a packet of bbq almonds, and am about to get into my cheese stash, reading this thread. I find this whole saga, more stressful than the Type 63 107 rockets Shabbab lob at the UN base next door and I'm not even joking. And it's not Oliver leaving that is killing me, though I am depressed about that, it is how inept the club comes across in the media that is truly triggering. Geelong might as well put a collar on us and parade us along Eastern Beach Road.

This is legit the best post ever on Demonland

• Like 5

4 hours ago, WiseDeeMan said:

I was told at the beginning of 2021 specifically from a former player (hasn't been at the club for a 2-3 years now) Oliver is big, big trouble.  He is treated differently to everyone else simply because he is a good player. If others were to do some of the things he does, they would be treated very differently.  He mentioned that one day when Oliver was behaving poorly, he gave it to him straight....yet Oliver wasn't the one reprimanded, it was Goodwin who spoke with this particular player and said "you can't talk to Clayton like that, we have to be careful with him". 

I would say enough is enough.  He clearly is massive trouble and has a huge contract.  Let go of getting compensated fairly based on his playing ability alone.  It's the whole package you must look at, his character is highly questionable and his contract will haunt us for years to come if he stays.

I'm guessing here, and this is just my opinion, but we have heard Petracca isn't upset with Oliver, but more with the way the club has handled him. I would say this is consistent with the above - they have had rules for him, and rules for others.  

It also was backed up by the infamous Pert / Goodwin interview where they said we've tolerated things and he will now be held accountable for his actions.  

Overall a good move by the MFC I say. 

When he was playing well no one cared. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1