Oliver Trade Rumours

Oxdee

Have just listened to Max on Triple M this morning. He didn't say much, except that he'll support Clarry no matter what, but he did say he's sick of the leaking from the club and we need to get on top of it

Edited by Mickey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Oliver is the best MFC player I have seen, it also seems like he's a [censored] bloke. MFC is a great club but being run by [censored] people. Those [censored] people seem to lack basic communication skills, where at the very least, they need to tell each other to shut the [censored] up and stop leaking to the media. Even Max seemed exasperated on his radio show this morning.

I will be super happy that Oliver stays, not looking forward to next year when he and CP5 get bandied around by the media/ club with possible trade scenarios again. 

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

He's been a handful for the footy club and the players for the past couple of years.

The club has gone way above and beyond more then anyone on the playing list. It's no wonder the players are completely fed up with him because he simply won't learn or take responsibility for his actions and behaviours. 

How about for once Oliver takes responsibility for his own actions and start acting like a grown adult for once in his life.

He's 27, not an 18 year old kid.

Paying a guy pretty much 1 million a year to take the absolute [censored] out of the system sums it all up.

There is an absolutely no way anyone  can accuse the footy club for its lack of support because if anything the club has supported him to the tilt.

He literally had to live with the Gawns this year because the club cannot trust him off field.

I really don't want to hear the ADD defence either. It's mostly BS.

• Like 9
  • Clap 3
  • Thinking 1

2 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

I really don't want to hear the ADD defence either. It's mostly BS.

I've largely been in support of keeping Oliver this week but if that defence does make it to the media I'd find that pretty insulting to be honest.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Just now, layzie said:

I've largely been in support of keeping Oliver this week but if that defence does make it to the media I'd find that pretty insulting to be honest.

As someone with ADD, I would too...

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Just now, DubDee said:

Solid negotiation tactic

Geelong will roll us unless we play hard ball

I think we are effectively asking the Cats to put up their best offer by today or we will shut it down before the best and fairest. The media firestorm is too much for the club to handle for another 2 weeks. Either the Cats really want him and will pay his wage and give a 2025 first rounder or we will kiss and make up.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 2

42 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

Fair points, but of all the possible ways to handle this, pushing him out at his lowest value in a fire sale is embarrassing

Understand, but we can’t go back in time and sell 2021 Clarry, if we want to sell we’re selling 2024 Clarry - there’s no guarantee he’s worth more next year. If the penny hasn’t dropped by now will it ever?

Best case is he stays and sorts his [censored] out but that’s not the likely case..

• Like 2

Just now, Fat Tony said:

I think we are effectively asking the Cats to put up their best offer by today or we will shut it down before the best and fairest. The media firestorm is too much for the club to handle for another 2 weeks. Either the Cats really want him and will pay his wage and give a 2025 first rounder or we will kiss and make up.

If that is the absolute best deal we can extract, a pick which will in all likelihood be pick 15-18 (before academy, f/s etc) then I would be pulling up stumps now. Salary dump aside, it's a terrible outcome for our prospects over the next few years & strengthening a team we will be competing with for success while weakening ourselves.

People might say "But we can use that cash to chase another big name" - to which I would reply who in their right mind would want to play for us at the moment? Unless we offer almost double what any other clubs are to a big fish, all the clubs with stability off the field will land most of the best talent via trade and FA.

I think we are stuck with Clarry now, and must look to get him back to his best to save face. FWIW I love Clarry and think he has it in him to hit his stride again.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I don’t think discussing a players personal neurological diagnosis is constructive. Nobody but them can know how it impacts their life.

I think too often we play the mental health card in society.

It is obviously a factor, but it is also a crutch for unaccpetable behaviour.

So yes, I'll continue the discussion. :P

Edited by Adam The God
  • Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Clap 3

6 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

What I find amusing in this scenario is why Pert didn't use a "cut out". They're are a load of people he could have used as an honest broker which would have made the attributed leak a lot harder to report.

We are very amateurish it would seem.

Has probably cost 5k members and made sponsors jittery

Go the Storm !!

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

2021, eh?

So that’s before we signed him to a 7 year million dollar contract that is now the noose around our necks in trying to do what you both are implying is the right thing to do?

That is the biggest issue and enough for someone to be moved on

Conditions not being put in place on the contract and the length

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RedFox said:

If that is the absolute best deal we can extract, a pick which will in all likelihood be pick 15-18 (before academy, f/s etc) then I would be pulling up stumps now. Salary dump aside, it's a terrible outcome for our prospects over the next few years & strengthening a team we will be competing with for success while weakening ourselves.

People might say "But we can use that cash to chase another big name" - to which I would reply who in their right mind would want to play for us at the moment? Unless we offer almost double what any other clubs are to a big fish, all the clubs with stability off the field will land most of the best talent via trade and FA.

I think we are stuck with Clarry now, and must look to get him back to his best to save face. FWIW I love Clarry and think he has it in him to hit his stride again.

It might look a bad deal to you, but you don't know the full story and have to work with Oliver every day.

1 hour ago, JJJ said:

Im sure this is public knowledge but I’ll repeat it anyway, Clazz has been a load since his first season.

When Brendan McCartney was at the club, he got so sick and tired of Oliver’s antics that he sat him down in his office and showed him a long list of names.

He said, “do you recognise these names?”

”yeah some of them”

McCartney replied, “these are all the people at the club who think you’re a [censored]!!”

McCartney was really good for Oliver in those early days. Oliver was unaware that his behaviour was so impactful to so many people. McCartney was no nonsense and steered Oliver the right direction in terms of professionalism and treatment of others.

I’m not sure I exactly subscribe to the “special treatment” theory, although I’m sure there is an element of this.

But I’m certain that different people respond to different types of feedback differently, and there is no point taking a one-size-fits-all approach to how players are treated.

Like the old fable of the scorpion & the frog, Clarry is who he is and always will be. We either choose to continue to work with it & understand we aren’t all built the same; or we don’t. I think that as a collective the club is still trying to decide. 
And I think I know where Shand stands on this topic.

Hold onto your hats.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pennant St Dee said:

That is the biggest issue and enough for someone to be moved on

Conditions not being put in place on the contract and the length

That's definitely true.

I think the idea that we shouldn't have put a huge contract to Clarry is hindsight 20-20 stuff, but that we didn't (seemingly) put in strong legal clauses in that contract is the blight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam The God said:

but that we didn't (seemingly) put in strong legal clauses in that contract is the blight.

Players won't accept them if they are "non standard". IIRC the Pies tried that with De Goey and they got nowhere

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Garbo said:

So if last year was his final warning and he’s broken there trust again you want to give him another chance just because. Sounds like the kind of poor culture that has got us in this position to start with 

We just don't know this, though. We don't know ALL the facts, and likely won't.

What if it isn't as easy as that? What if it is Pert acting alone? And we just hand over one of the best players we have EVER had, and we only find out later it was a colossal stuff up? We can't reverse trades. It wouldn't be the first time a club, or even our club, has done something stupid. 

As with almost everything, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Clarry has not been perfect, but seems to be trying, as attested to by all at the club throughout the year, but maybe he's offsided someone and this is personal. 

What I am saying (aside from my personal preference to keep him, giving him the benefit of the doubt - as I have seen him improve this year and looks happy and healthy - something to work with in the offseason) is that if we were to trade him, it should not have been done like this, because the poor way the club handles this will give us ZERO for him - we may as well keep him and see what we can do. By all accounts he does not want to leave. We can (in my opinion) deal with him and his 'issues' professionally, as other clubs seem to do without trashing their stars and reputation. Group the boys together, reset and commit together. 

No player is above the club. Agree. And we DO have to fix and improve our culture. But given we don't know everything about what has happened, it doesn't mean we just throw Clarry to the curb, for nothing, assuming it will fix things.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, layzie said:

Makes two of us Adam. 

There's probably a few of us here. To be on Demonland as often as we are, it is a classic hyperfocus story. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I don’t think discussing a players personal neurological diagnosis is constructive. Nobody but them can know how it impacts their life.

19 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

I think too often we play the mental health card in society.

It is obviously a factor, but it is also a crutch for unaccpetable behaviour.

So yes, I'll continue the discussion. :P

The splinters are sore on this fence but you are both 100% correct.

We really can't know what anyone goes through when they face these challenges.

The unfortunate part and reality is that the human race doesn't have a 100% integrity record and people have no doubt used this to their advantage. 

I'm not in any way saying that Clayton has done this but there's always a possibility. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tracca said:

Hang on a sec…..

where did you hear we did the call around? That is all driven from the media. There is zero chance Gary pert called anyone about list management decisions.

3 hours ago, GCDee said:

This situation is only a [censored] show because of the over the top media reports.

I admire the loyalty to the club, I really do, but don't let it blind you and make you out to be a fool. This constant blaming the media instead of holding leaders at the club accountable reminds me of the Essendon supporters response to their doping program.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1