The Dan Houston Thread

17 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

While our list at the start of the year was third oldest (25.1 average), it’s more important to look at the age of best 22, which we are mid table.

We will actually be going down in average age for next year I’d say given the names that will be off our list.

Yep, this is also a fair point. Agree with you r.e best 22.

Risk involved in everything, obvs. 

But, one thing that we've done incredibly well for a while now is develop our top end talent. So when posters throw up past players from other clubs as a way of proving that high end picks are risky, it's just plain silly. 

Look at our last decade of first-round draft picks and tell me you can't back our recruiters and development program to get the best out of them? 

Off the top of my head, Weideman has been the only fail. Salem hasn't quite lived up to expectations, however injury has had a big say in that.  And Jefferson is an unknown at the level to this point. 

Even our early second round picks have been really solid. 

If posters want to assess risk, look at our most recent trade-ins. That's where the worry should be. So buyer beware for Houston. And add in the fact that nobody will have access to the draft in a few years. So where do we want to place ourselves as a club for the next decade? 

If Port accept our next year's first round pick and a second rounder with something in return, you'd do it. That's the only way. 

I'm not sure about others but my enjoyment this year has come from watching Windsor and Tholstrup step into this club and actually impact. That speaks volumes of our development program, the leaders we have and the characters they are. And given this draft has serious midfield depth and we are crying out for more support in that area, it's an absolute no brainer that we hit it hard, hopefully with multiple picks and EVEN if that's at the cost of missing a 28 year old half-back who is completely overrated by so many in here.

Especially his foot skills! My god. The way people talk about him is like we'll have Errol Gulden. Don't look at the stats. Look at him with your eyes this weekend and tell me I'm wrong. 

He's a long, penetrative and accurate kick. He is not a play making/angle changing laser foot like Daicos, Gulden or Coleman. Do not be fooled! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Collingwood would be kicking themselves at giving up PICK 6 for Lachy Schultz. They have no first rounder this year and already have questionable young talent outside of the Daicos brothers at both ends of the ground. 

They should be our measuring stick. They got greedy, paid overs because they thought they could go back-to-back and sacrificed their future for the now. 

We cannot do the same. Houston's form is off the back of playing with the same defensive unit for years and so there's no guarantee he just waltzes into our program year one and plays to the same level. Schultz case in point. These players are role players who are excelling thanks to the system they're in. They're not top end/brilliant individuals who dominate from word go. It's not their position or role. 

Go to the draft, nail a top 7 midfielder and develop them. I'll pay those odds anyday over giving up the farm for Houston to help win us a flag next year. 

Edited by middleagedemon
  • Like 10

3 hours ago, Demons11 said:

The difference with Dimma is that he traded those players in when his stars were 30+.  Besides Gawn and May, our guns are all in their mid to late 20’s. Lever, Clarry and Trac are in their prime. So it’s a very different situation.   We also have greats kids coming through in Riv, McVee, JVR, Petty etc.  People who think we shouldn’t be going all out to win another one are kidding themselves.  

Viney will be 31 near the start of next season. We have no ruck to replace 34 yo Max. No gorilla fullback for May, who is 33 in January. Oliver's 2024 makes Dusty look like a choirboy. Petracca is a physical and psychological mess at the moment, will he return? He'll be 29 in Jan. Tmac is 31. ANB, Langers and Lever will be 29 by R1, 2025. Our list is the 3rd oldest, according to Draft Guru.

I would be disappointed if we traded pick 7 in a draft with 10 high quality mids when that's exactly what we need, especially with Tassie coming in. 2028 midfield of Clarry, Rivers, McVee, Windsor, 2024 pick 7

Our 2025 1st pick would be what I'd trade for DH, maybe a 2nd as well, or perhaps a player from SA prepared to return (Sparrow or ANB?). Kalani White might choose us over GCS in 2025 and AhMu looks promising.

There's a difference between "going all out to win" a flag and selling the farm 

Just my view though!

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 8
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Viney will be 31 near the start of next season. We have no ruck to replace 34 yo Max. No gorilla fullback for May, who is 33 in January. Oliver's 2024 makes Dusty look like a choirboy. Petracca is a physical and psychological mess at the moment, will he return? He'll be 29 in Jan. Tmac is 31. ANB, Langers and Lever will be 29 by R1, 2025. Our list is the 3rd oldest, according to Draft Guru.

I would be disappointed if we traded pick 7 in a draft with 10 high quality mids when that's exactly what we need, especially with Tassie coming in. 2028 midfield of Clarry, Rivers, McVee, Windsor, 2024 pick 7

Our 2025 1st pick would be what I'd trade for DH, maybe a 2nd as well, or perhaps a player from SA prepared to return (Sparrow or ANB?). Kalani White might choose us over GCS in 2025 and AhMu looks promising.

Just my view though!

How do you sleep at night?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Very well, thanks. About to head off now. Shall I check in with a report for you in the morning? Nighty night!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

Just making sure! You seem to have a lot of worries

Yeah I'm also curious @Moonshadow about the sleeping part. Do you use an orthopaedic pillow? or just a regular one?

Sweet dreams

Edited by Young Blood

I'd be watching the developments with Jake Stringer very closely, if he doesn't get signed back up with the peptides it could set off a chain reaction.

Regarding Dan Houston and Clarry.

11 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Memory foam, mate. With a Demons pillow case matching the doona cover!

Well rest that worried head on that perfect pillow and get some rest. We're a while off from pre season and rumours are simply just swirling at this stage.

- Trac is determined for round one as he stated earlier this week and is one tough bugger

- Clarry has worked his [censored] off this season, showing and getting his professionalism back on track for a big pre season

- Old men May and TMac have showed they still have a fair bit left in the tank and Petty will move back there eventually

- Lets enjoy those prime 29 yr olds of ANB, Lever, Trac and Lingers!

- With our without a maybe gun pick 7 midfielder the young brigade of Clarry, Rivers, McVee and Windsor will be awesome

- Who knows what we'll add this off season but I'm excited to add to this team who have had a fair bit adversity this season. There is so much potential!

So many positives to dream about!

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, DistrACTION Jackson said:

17 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

Yeah I'm also curious @Moonshadow about the sleeping part. Do you use an orthopaedic pillow? or just a regular one?

Sweet dreams

Experiencing the full spectrum of the emotional scale means one can TRULY appreciate the good times. 

Living in lala land means one is avoidant and what ever will you have living in Lala land to compare to? 

Moony and I sleep sweetly knowing that after our weekly nightmares, a lala dream is on the horizon. 

Don't we Moon?

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

Just my view though!

Agree with all this except the Kalani "might choose us". Crazy sort of wrist slashing mate.

7 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Well rest that worried head on that perfect pillow and get some rest. We're a while off from pre season and rumours are simply just swirling at this stage.

- Trac is determined for round one as he stated earlier this week and is one tough bugger

- Clarry has worked his [censored] off this season, showing and getting his professionalism back on track for a big pre season

- Old men May and TMac have showed they still have a fair bit left in the tank and Petty will move back there eventually

- Lets enjoy those prime 29 yr olds of ANB, Lever, Trac and Lingers!

- With our without a maybe gun pick 7 midfielder the young brigade of Clarry, Rivers, McVee and Windsor will be awesome

- Who knows what we'll add this off season but I'm excited to add to this team who have had a fair bit adversity this season. There is so much potential!

So many positives to dream about!

Our first training report for the upcoming 2025 season. 

I love it, and the optimism 

🤩🤩

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

Experiencing the full spectrum of the emotional scale means one can TRULY appreciate the good times. 

Living in lala land means one is avoidant and what ever will you have living in Lala land to compare to? 

Moony and I sleep sweetly knowing that after our weekly nightmares, a lala dream is on the horizon. 

Don't we Moon?

Aawwwww. NOICE.

Who is spooning who middleage? I’m thinking Moonie is the spooner. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, middleagedemon said:

Don't we Moon?

I definitely feel the full spectrum of being a Melbourne supporter, just ask my girlfriend who usually leaves the living room during the games we watch on TV....

Just don't think it is worth worrying about the pending retirements of Gawn, May and Viney, as much as they are legends of the club!

When they do eventually retire we will get salary cap to go out to the market and see what's available. For example, we could find a capable ruck at half the price of Gawn and then use that cap to get another high quality mid. Teams are forever evolving and we will too!

Article on Sen saying he is leaving and it could be due to an undervalued long term deal

im too dumb to know how to post it here

• Shocked 1

Here is more evidence of the overhype trade value placed on Houston.

AFL 2024: Trade verdict on top players on market, free agents, trade state of play, Bailey Smith, Tim English, Josh Battle, Shai Bolton, analysis (foxsports.com.au)

FoxFooty has done an explosive piece around the potential TOP 10 trades for the end of this year. Guess what, Dan couldn't even make the top 10, which had the likes of Perryman (who?) among others before him.

I have consequently down valued my initial Future 2nd pick to now a bucket of chips. 

1 minute ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Here is more evidence of the overhype trade value placed on Houston.

AFL 2024: Trade verdict on top players on market, free agents, trade state of play, Bailey Smith, Tim English, Josh Battle, Shai Bolton, analysis (foxsports.com.au)

FoxFooty has done an explosive piece around the potential TOP 10 trades for the end of this year. Guess what, Dan couldn't even make the top 10, which had the likes of Perryman (who?) among others before him.

I have consequently down valued my initial Future 2nd pick to now a bucket of chips. 

i do wonder how much of the pear being willing to trade houston is dependent on them landing one of perryman or cumming

• Like 1