POSTGAME: Rd 16 vs Brisbane

17 minutes ago, Rab D Nesbitt said:

I feel ya. We did the 24 hour cheer squad bus trip to Cararra and back to watch us lose by 5 points to the Bears in their second home game in the competition. Left an hour after the game for the return trip after we'd loaded the flags and poles back onboard and were using a huge plastic red surround that the poles slipped into at the time that weighed a ton and smelt awful. Some of your older travelling partners may remember it. I think we had Banana Bender Busters written on the front of the run through with the Ghostbusters symbol and a banana wearing sunglasses in place of the ghost 😂

Maybe I need to take it to a higher court of appeal and ask @Demonstone ?

Yep, I’d say @Demonstone’s yer man.

Cheer squad road trips: I’ve heard some very interesting (and sometimes very disturbing) stories. One thing that hasn’t changed though is the transportation of smelly gear. Some otherworldly stenches right there. 🤢

23 minutes ago, Dee Viney Intervention said:

I hear where you are coming from but if we bring another long term injured player straight into the team without a hit out at Casey I will lose it. Our player management / selection this year has been horrendous and I think will ultimately cost us a finals spot. Petty, Salem, Bowey, Fritsch, McAdam even arguably  Clarrie as examples rushed straight into the team after long injury lay-off or limited pre season and have been poor. The whole of the match committee group need to have an honest review of their year.

I hear you but this most definitely feels like the last dance for Milkshake. I can't see him playing next year so, if he's going to play this year at all do it sooner rather than later (we won't be playing in September).

5 hours ago, picket fence said:

But yet another loss!! Gawd; Chandler, Petty and Hairstyle were again very ordinary!, We aint playin Finals!!

I thought you weren't going to post anymore? You can't help yourself from writing [censored] post after post. You have a problem for every solution.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

Bitterly disappointing. We played brilliantly at times and almost got it done.

Me, I'm done with the Petty as a forward option. I was for the idea when there was no-one else, when Brown and Tmac both looked done but it is now killing us. Some misses  - great torp - I could forgive but the third quarter routine shot drifting away did it. It really is not that hard and we know TMac can do it, so Petty back and TMac forward...pleeeeaaase.

Turner is coming on really well and looks like a cool head in front of goal, that jittery miss on KB aside. Petty should take note and probably has tried to, but no, it's done. Love ya Harry but go back where you belong. and I don't mean South Australia.

The compensation, cool light of the morning thought is that if we replicate that attack on the ball and that team running  for the next two months we can still make the eight and maybe get another crack at those tossers at the Gabba. If not, well, we are going to put some quality time into the next generation who, I thought, all stood up really well. Kolt in particular looks so ready for the contest and AMW was silky and cool. Turner, Woey did their bit, but Brown was treated badly. Fresh legs from late in the third term would have been handy.

Rivers is looking more and more at home in the middle and let's be excited for Clarry. What a comeback!

The umpires were a disgrace and should be spoken to, but won't be. I honestly thought they treated us with a lack of respect early, as if they thought the anticipated thrashing was on and they were going to get on board and add to the momentum like their pals last week against North. They cost us two goals. I'd need to see the Rivers' run on GPS to be convinced he went too far. I can't remember the last time I saw that penalty. Maybe he deserved it, but I counted 13 steps which is usually considered OK. That decision hurt as did the overturned May mark on the wing that resulted in a goal. I liked May's comment to the "senior umpire" whose conscience should trouble him, but won't.

So the umpires were rubbish but that's par: we had our chances and failed to nail them. Langdon I never expected to kick accurately for goal because he rarely does. It's the only knock on his game. He and Petty should be embarrassed this morning but it's always been a game of mistakes.

Bright side: we're (on the way) back!

Those people in yellow/green are never accountable for anything, they can stink up a game and still be rewarded with more games. Where's the umpire review board or something of that nature? I guess they keep things semi professional, as they are not even paid as professional umpires.

27 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Result sucks, massive effort by the boys. 

Probably the first time I’ve said this, but it felt the two teams were umpired differently. No 12 being the main offender and May letting him know all about it too.

Umpire #12, Andrew Stephens, is indeed bad, but he’s not as bad as #33 Brent Wallace. But by far and away the biggest culprit is old mate Nathan Williamson #22. He’s the worst. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Club has failed to attract older experienced players since the trades of May, lever & Langdon & somewhat Brown who want play again due to his body failing him. 

This is true, so this off season will be key in defining the short term success of this list.

Should have some draft capital and cap space to make 2 or 3 interesting moves.

1 minute ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

I couldn't be prouder of the boys. I gave us no chance.

That's the best footy we've played all year bar the last quarter.

What about that second quarter.

The main issue has been that we play a great quarter here and there, but can't seem to be able to put 4 consistent quarters in a single match.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hellaintabadplacetobe said:

I couldn't be prouder of the boys. I gave us no chance.

That's the best footy we've played all year bar the last quarter.

Yes, lots to take out of the game:

Starting to look like the Clarry of old,

Petty clunking marks. If he didn't have the yips we'd be saying he's Back in Town

Viney immense,

AMW showed a bit

The intensity was back

Chandler's pressure also huge

Great game from JVR

The brilliance of Kos

River's transition to the midfield as well as his run - brilliant

Judd McVee gun

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

Neal Bullen just doin' Neal Bullen things.

What’s this supposed to mean?

He’s in our top 5 players this year and has become a senior figure who can be relied upon week after week. He was as cooked as anyone in the last, just our luck that McCluggage arzed it through.

Certainly not blaming ANB for the loss. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

I’m happy I bet the line on us. There’s no way it was ever going to be a blow out and 35pts was ridiculously easy. 

Still feel pretty gutted this morning but honestly if we bring that same level of intensity we’ll smash the Eagles. The Essendon game in a fortnight looms large.

• Like 1

As the raw disappointment fades...I just cant help but feel proud of the boys. Our pressure and energy was fantastic and the Lions away is no small task. I think with all the young guys and some unfit older guys we just didnt have the legs. Petty was great but his misses continue to hurt as did fritters and Langdons... but Brissy missed plenty of their own lets face it. 

• Like 7

A great performance last night. Midfield looked a hell of a lot better, Clarry had some bounce, Vines amazing and Rivers should never play back again. 
AmW what a great young player. He, Woewi, Doggie and Kolt are all very good additions. 
Would have loved the win, but we just couldn’t convert late and kill momentum. 
3 things I want to point out. JVR has come on this year and is now a one touch player. He reminds me of Neita in that he hits the ball hard with his chest out.

2nd is that Clarry looks happy. I know his performances have been off a bit, but he looks more calm and settled. Understand he has battled ADHD and is on medication for it. I recon his best footy was when he was on edge, but you can’t live like that. I think we keep him at all costs and turn him back into a star next year, better version on and off the field.

Lastly- well done to those who travelled to watch the game. The boys definitely got a lift and it was noticeable the cheering on the TV.

Cheer up Dees. This year is a building block for next year. Another few layers to add, but we are better placed then I thought 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

We have a lot of young and inexperienced players when the pressure rises many go into their shells and play the safe option. They stop taking risks

It can be more physically taxing to take the risks as well. Players may have wanted to, but felt they were physically unable to nail that 40m bullet or take on the tackler,  especially the early career players. I expect these guys also don't want to be dropped which would feed into the whole risk taking mentality. I can't imagine Goody instructing the players to take the game on and take risks leading into the last quarter...we almost never play that way. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

As the raw disappointment fades...I just cant help but feel proud of the boys. Our pressure and energy was fantastic and the Lions away is no small task. I think with all the young guys and some unfit older guys we just didnt have the legs. Petty was great but his misses continue to hurt as did fritters and Langdons... but Brissy missed plenty of their own lets face it. 

Yep. I think if the Lions lost that game they would be bitterly disappointed given the number of opportunities they fluffed in the last quarter. The ball basically lived in their half of the ground and they were running all over the Dees. 

• Like 1

It's games like that where it makes me so sad that we lost Brayshaw. I could just imagine him moving to half back and saving us a goal or two.

We need to give West Coast a smacking next week and finish out the year strong even if finals are gone. Trade targets and free agents need to believe we still have a flag window open in 2025 and 2026.

• Like 2

Really have to ask What is going on with our fitness, there has been 2 games tis year where we were plodding from the start and the past 2 weeks couldn't go with the opposition in the last quarter.

• Like 3

Got to meet @WalkingCivilWar last night. Anyone who is critical of her really should think before they post.

Umpiring was rank at best. Nibbler tripped, and even worse the ump right next to it said boundary throw in but the ump from 40 metres away paid the free. Presuming Stevic as him and #22 cheated all night.

Worst miss of the night was Lingers in the third.

Lions fans are classless bumpkins. Have not won a thing for a generation but think they are the Patriots.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

If you are upset over the word rubbish you need to get a life, or stop being precious. 

It's just your repetitive use of the word is so boring.

Just a little postscript - the Club needs to call out BT and Hodge after they suggested Tholstrup should be cited for staging. An absolutely disgraceful and bias call from two morons in the media. Absolutely pathetic. 7News running it as a story on their main page. It was clearly a late hit. Taken by surprise. Had disposed of the ball. Zorko is a complete f..wit. If anything comes of it, challenge it. That goes on in every game, every weekend. [censored] me right off

• Like 12