Mick Malthouse "Demons Culture"

4 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Never said u did NEVER just added to my narrative

Ima go ahead and take a wild stab here… I’m guessing you were never a member of your high school debating team. Just a feeling I get. 

16 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

No, I don’t. Am I not entitled to my opinion? Garry Lyon has looked upon us with disdain for a long time. I used to think he was trying to appear impartial, and unwittingly over-correcting. But now I think he’d sooner distance himself from us. IN MY VERY [censored] HUMBLE OPINION. 

Yes you are entitled to it. I can see why people would think that his words don't always help.

I do respect Garry though and always appreciate the brutal honesty. It doesn't always sound nice but more often that not I find that it is warranted. I prefer this to the Brad Johnson pom pom waving type that doesn't say a bad word about anything.

It doesn't mean that everyone has to like it though.

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

This is the same Mick Malthouse that recommended Neeld to Lyon when we were looking for a coach. The same Mick Mathouse that destroyed Carltons list and culture when he coached there. I just dont think he's credible enough to take seriously these days. 

Never mind the stuff he presided over at Collingwood (Didak, Shaw etc)

What a nothing article, can't believe these guys get paid for this. Not that there's anything wrong in there but there's nothing insightful either. Just rehashing and listing a bunch of issues from the past year or so. No incisive commentary on it. No fresh take. Just a few paragraphs of hot air which sums up Malthouse to a tee. Compared to the buffoons that are his peers in the AFL he comes across as someone who is highly intelligent because he is articulate. He's not, he's just another boofhead with a better vocabulary.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 4
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

Yes you are entitled to it. I can see why people would think that his words don't always help.

I do respect Garry though and always appreciate the brutal honesty. It doesn't always sound nice but more often that not I find that it is warranted. I prefer this to the Brad Johnson pom pom waving type that doesn't say a bad word about anything.

It doesn't mean that everyone has to like it though.

it’s a ridiculous concept to believe that Garry Lyon has disdain for the MFC. 

He as a Former Long Serving Captain has the right to opinions on issues concerning the Clubs Fortunes, like Schwarta who lets go every now and then. 
They have put their bodies on the line for the jumper…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Vomit 2

7 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

While I don't disagree with most of his comments there is a hidden agenda at play here.

For his own selfish reasons, he's written this whole article to turn the blow torch up on Gary Pert, the man who along with Eddie McGuire transitioned him (sacked) from the top coaching job at Collingwood.

Yep, and he clearly felt Pert's comment about "best culture in his 40 years in the game" was a jab at him.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Ima go ahead and take a wild stab here… I’m guessing you were never a member of your high school debating team. Just a feeling I get. 

Nar far too structured for me, I just wanted to Bliztkreig anyone that's opinion was different to mine! Sorted them out on the footy or cricket fields, and of course the girls loved the bravado, WCW!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, layzie said:

Pro tip: If you're one of those people that hates reading what the media writes about us, you are about to have a rough few weeks ahead..

All these articles being written relate to who we are playing this week and the possible repercussions if we happen to lose.

It won't be pretty at all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

He's not just a bitter and twisted old fart; he's the grand master of crankiness, with a PhD in grumbling and a black belt in complaining. Oh, and thanks for the Mark Neeld tip you *&^%.

The only reason Malthouse gave Neeld a glowing reference was because he was soon to be replaced by Buckley and was doing his best to burn the joint down behind him getting rid of Buckleys future support staff.

I also think knowing he was going a year prior Malthouse traded in both Luke Ball and Darren Jolly which topped up the Malthouses pies for their Premiership tilt in 2010.
I doubt he would have gone all in and traded for 2 older players if he thought he'd be staying around.

• Like 1

I find it interesting that these comments from Malthouse get so much attention on here, but the following quote from Grundy’s interview with the ABC this weekend hasn’t had similar attention:

“Despite the move to Melbourne not panning out as Grundy had hoped, with premiership glory, he doesn't hold any ill-will towards the Demons.

"The culture that Melbourne has is really high-performing in terms of the standards they set, the work ethic, and I'm really grateful to have gotten a glimpse of what it's like in that side," he said.”

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

17 hours ago, MoeSyzlak said:

He doesn’t work for the club therefore cannot have an opinion based on his observations with the experience of 50 years at the top level? 

Conversely the only opinion that can therefore be taken seriously is those from within the club? That are inherently subjective and driven by vested interest?

Strange take. I’d say Malthouse is more learned than the average observer. His opinions may not be infallible but I can’t understand how they’re just dismissed like he’s some nuffy. 

Strange comment also.  I didn't say he couldn't have an opinion. Everyone has one.  Just lets accept them for what they are, uninformed opinions form the outside.

Its still clickbait after all  given the information universe abhors a vacuum and Mick's done his bit to fill in time.

BTW - I reckon Joffa was a Nuffy, as you say, Mick was never one of those.

16 hours ago, Demonsone said:

I did ready & correct, but to give up on this from both Goodwin was way too early, was the risk vs reward thought through?? It falls at the feet of the goody & the coaches  

Fully agree.  It had too much upside to try out for 22 games then call it quits.

Classy by Grundy nevertheless

• Like 2

Why are people having a pop at Gary Lyon. To say he has disdain for the club is way off the mark. He was obviously delighted in the rooms after our victory in 21.

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

Why are people having a pop at Gary Lyon. To say he has disdain for the club is way off the mark. He was obviously delighted in the rooms after our victory in 21.

I have distain for the club I love.
I know how Gary feels.
Felt that way even when he was captain.
Had a great side and we're all over the shop back then too.
Cause for some reason this club aint right in the head.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Shocked 1

14 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

I have distain for the club I love.
I know how Gary feels.
Felt that way even when he was captain.
Had a great side and we're all over the shop back then too.
Cause for some reason this club aint right in the head.

You can’t love something you disdain.

sounds like a toxic relationship. Why do you stay? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BDA said:

You can’t love something you disdain.

sounds like a toxic relationship. Why do you stay? 

It's complicated.
I don't love the club anymore like I once did.
Final straw was probably stinking up 2020 after stinking up the prelim in WA.
And toxic is a fair description.
They had a chance to redeem themselves after the flag but they've continued to sheet the bed and self destruct since, embarrassing the supporters with their metal weakness.
Soon we'll resume to normal programming after having watched Goodwin squander the window with his ugly, tedious and uninspiring game plan.
Even those brief few years when we were "Good" we were god awful to watch.

I do have an "escape from the relationship" plan tho'.
When we're back to sunday arvo games I'll probably leave the relationship with both the club and AFL.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Thinking 1

18 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Culture is measured by Wins and Losses, but you cannot deny anything that Malthouse has stated. It’s not nice reading, but we shouldn’t dismiss it either 

I was very concerned after Pert made the Comments on Radio about our culture being Rock Solid, you cannot say things like that with so much Media scrutiny from many platforms these days. But he did it…

Performance is measured by wins and losses. Culture is something entirely unrelated to wind and losses. You really don’t like your own club. 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, von said:

Performance is measured by wins and losses. Culture is something entirely unrelated to wind and losses. You really don’t like your own club. 

You raise an interesting thought, whilst on the subject of related/unrelated  metrics.

Can you not like much about a club while still loving it ? 

• Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

You raise an interesting thought, whilst on the subject of related/unrelated  metrics.

Can you not like much about a club while still loving it ? 

Following a club is complicated. Watching some people want to blow the club up after the run we’ve had makes me wonder if they like pouring [censored] on the club more than enjoying their success. 

• Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, von said:

Following a club is complicated. Watching some people want to blow the club up after the run we’ve had makes me wonder if they like pouring [censored] on the club more than enjoying their success. 

Was that a yes or no then ? 

29 minutes ago, von said:

In the AFL World Culture is about Wins and Losses 

I have a great love for the Club, i just expect a Higher Standard than what we have been given. 

• Like 2

The Devil comes in many forms and one of them is in the form of Mick Malthouse! Lucifer incarnate had his tenure at Princes Park from 2012-2015! 😁

A bit of a nothing article from Mick, doubt he has any real insights in what is happening at Goschs Paddock/Casey, just wants to chime in on the topical Dees who are struggling right now and assorted media types are getting their kicks in whilst they are down. Please win the next few to shut them up.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

16 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

In the AFL World Culture is about Wins and Losses 

I have a great love for the Club, i just expect a Higher Standard than what we have been given. 

I don’t believe it is. Culture is seperate to wins and losses. Culture isn’t necessarily effected by wins and losses but it may make it easier to win when the stars align. Culture allows individuals to fulfill their potential but it doesn’t guarantee success. Success in sports is highly unlikely. Very hard to do. 

The media also use the word without reference to what they mean. It can very quickly become a nothing word. They also swap it out with performance because it sounds more dramatic.

we’ve been given a very high standard on and off since 2018. The expectation of dynasty as a standard is over the top. The luck you need to have one goes far beyond culture.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1