PREGAME: Rd 15 vs North Melbourne

On 11/06/2024 at 11:37, DistrACTION Jackson said:

You do realise Rivers was one of the only blokes who gave his all yesterday? Your teams are a shambles

ok in Rivers out Moniz

• Like 1

B: McVee May Rivers

HB: Salem McDonald Lever

C: Langdon Oliver Windsor

HF: Pickett Fritsch Petty

F: Chandler Van Rooyen Neal-Bullen

Foll: Gawn Viney Sparrow

I/C: Howes Turner Bowey Woewodin  

Sub K Brown

In Lever, Woewodin, K Brown

Out: Petracca, Billings, Laurie

Billings & Laurie don’t get enough of it and don’t use it well enough to compensate for being small. If you’re a little tacker like Laurie you need to be a Bowey or Caleb Daniel level user and he isn’t. Billings is slightly bigger but doesn’t compete physically and doesn’t use it well enough at the moment. 

Potentially Howes or Turner out for Tomlinson if we need another bigger body but you wouldn’t think we do if Lever gets up. 

Screenshot_20240612_141309_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

The problem with bringing Sestan and Tholstrup in is that they won't be played in the midfield, where we really need an influx of ball winning ability. Odds are they'll come in to cover our fwds going in there, like ANB and Kozzie. Then they'll be victims of our current inability to generate I50s and will be out after a couple of low possession weeks.

If they come in, they need to be given a good chance to get involved

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, JJJ said:

Sestan was told a few weeks ago that he was close to selection and was given a couple of key items to work on in order to debut. 
I haven’t followed the Casey games closely but I think he is going ok, might be a smokey next week.

Sestan … Casey v Collingwood, impressive.

Primed, 100% ready to go.

Tholstrup and Fullarton not far behind him.

All three should come IMO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mickey said:

The problem with bringing Sestan and Tholstrup in is that they won't be played in the midfield, where we really need an influx of ball winning ability. Odds are they'll come in to cover our fwds going in there, like ANB and Kozzie. Then they'll be victims of our current inability to generate I50s and will be out after a couple of low possession weeks.

If they come in, they need to be given a good chance to get involved

I'd be using Sestan as a sub to start and maybe a few full games later in the year.

Tholstrup I think should be running approx. 40-50% game time through the middle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Demonised said:

The time will come, be it soon or years from now, when the lost and lonely will sigh about how the MFC is a mediocre team, winning rarely, offering false hope occasionally, dashing that hope perennially. Pundits everywhere will nod sagely and agree that the Demons are pitiable and always have been.

But some among us will step forward, hand on heart, and say, ‘No! We won’t have it!’ because we few, we happy few, remember when our players strode the MCG like gods, fair of face and clean of limb, outshining all others and grasping the ultimate prize through skill, heart and grace.

We’ll remember Max the colossus, peerless in his craft. We’ll remember sunny Christian, relentless Clayton and dogged Jack, never giving in, never surrendering. We’ll never forget Steven, the Jakes, the other Christian, Kossie, Bayley of the unrivalled hair, Ed the running man and others, for we all had our favourites.

We were part of it. Through our commitment and love we were part of it and we will remember though times be dark, though times may grow dark for we know that when the times lighten, they lighten with fire.

Go Dees.

Yep and what a Damn Pity we totally stuffed it up!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lil_red_fire_engine said:

Out: Petracca, Laurie, Billings, 

In: Kolt, Sestan, Woewodin

Like this but surely Chandler, Petty and Disco Duck all to go as well!??

• Like 3

Sestan and Kolt are incredibly similar players so I doubt they both come in, yes Kolt plays more midfield but that’s in the VFL he’s not going to play like that in the 1’s, they’re both medium forwards 

8 hours ago, Winners at last said:

Has anyone seen or heard from Kate Roffey recently?

If you were in Fed Square for the walk with Neale, you would have heard Kate interviewed by Robbo... spoke well, as always!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need to focus on applying manic pressure from the start of the game. We've completely lost sight of this since earlier in the season and teams know they can sap our strength and confidence by turning up the heat. North Melb will certainly be playing a high-pressure game and know we are ripe for the picking. If we get bogged down in trying to deflect pressure and [censored] ourselves, we can pencil in a loss. We need to turn the tables and turn up the pressure. It's amazing how much confidence can grow from causing turnovers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

We need to focus on applying manic pressure from the start of the game. We've completely lost sight of this since earlier in the season and teams know they can sap our strength and confidence by turning up the heat. North Melb will certainly be playing a high-pressure game and know we are ripe for the picking. If we get bogged down in trying to deflect pressure and [censored] ourselves, we can pencil in a loss. We need to turn the tables and turn up the pressure. It's amazing how much confidence can grow from causing turnovers.

Agree, but it is also amazing how much confidence is drained from working hard to turn the ball over and all team mates running ahead of the ball, to simply turn it back over with poor skill execution. This has been the theme of our year and why we are so easy to score against. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

If you were in Fed Square for the walk with Neale, you would have heard Kate interviewed by Robbo... spoke well, as always!

And if you weren't..... what did she say ? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SPC said:

Agree, but it is also amazing how much confidence is drained from working hard to turn the ball over and all team mates running ahead of the ball, to simply turn it back over with poor skill execution. This has been the theme of our year and why we are so easy to score against. 

so true SPC  how backs are always up at the centreline

Looks like amatuer hour

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

And if you weren't..... what did she say ? 

Kate spoke of the fine line between trying to push for improvement in performance and tilting the balance. She was positive and forthright, as always.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If North bring high end pressure and sustain it for 3 to 4 quarters like Collingwood, Brisbane and Fremantle, they WILL beat us. They’re gun players such as LDU, Simpkin and Larkey are in hot form and they have an unusually low injury list by their standards.

Our game is in such poor order at the moment that the only way we can win a game of football at the moment is if the opposition provides low end pressure such as the St Kilda game.

I question whether North can go the distance with their pressure though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If North bring high end pressure and sustain it for 3 to 4 quarters like Collingwood, Brisbane and Fremantle, they WILL beat us. They’re gun players such as LDU, Simpkin and Larkey are in hot form and they have an unusually low injury list by their standards.

Our game is in such poor order at the moment that the only way we can win a game of football at the moment is if the opposition provides low end pressure such as the St Kilda game.

I question whether North can go the distance with their pressure though.

Their next game is against the Pies... ironic in a fashion. Will be quite telling.

1 hour ago, waynewussell said:

Kate spoke of the fine line between trying to push for improvement in performance and tilting the balance. She was positive and forthright, as always.

so she said nothing what does that mean ?

• Like 1

I do hope that the match committee sit down with a clean sheet of paper and talk and think through the selection strategy for the North game with a clear eye to medium term and long term futures as to what we want to get out of the rest of the season and the next season.

I don't believe that we will shelve this season at this stage of the season but will look at the results over the next three games to define a direction for the rest of the season.

A possible team for North:

B:       McVee                      May                    McDonald

HB:    Rivers                Tomlinson/Lever       Bowey (dependent upon Lever's fitness)

C:       Langdon                   Viney                 Windsor

HF:     ANB                          Fullarton            Chandler

F:        Pickett                     van Rooyen        Fritsch

R:        Gawn                       Oliver                  Sparrow

Int:     Tholstrup/Sestan     Jefferson           Salem          Woewodin

Sub:    Sestan/Tholstrup 

Three debutants, Fulleraton, Sestan, Jefferson.

Back six select themselves pretty much. No Petty he gets to have a run, back or forward, with Casey. If Lever does not get up, bring in Tomlinson. The guy deserves a game or three. Salem to be a cover for the defence.

Langdon and Windsor run the wings. In the middle we have Viney, Oliver and Sparrow as the grunt. In the absence of Petracca I expect Viney to step up. He did last season when Oliver was out. We need him to do the same now. ANB, Pickett, Woewodin and Salem to cover some minutes in the middle. Sestan/ Tholstrup to also rotate through there. With one of them starting as Sub with a view to slotting one in for the other as the game progresses if injuries allow.

With the forwards I would bring in both Fullarton and Jefferson. If they kick a couple of goals between them we are ahead of the game.

Barring injuries, I would try to keep an unchanged team for the next two matches after that a well. Minimal changes.

That is my 2 cents worth.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

12 hours ago, CHF said:

I do hope that the match committee sit down with a clean sheet of paper and talk and think through the selection strategy for the North game with a clear eye to medium term and long term futures as to what we want to get out of the rest of the season and the next season.

I don't believe that we will shelve this season at this stage of the season but will look at the results over the next three games to define a direction for the rest of the season.

A possible team for North:

B:       McVee                      May                    McDonald

HB:    Rivers                Tomlinson/Lever       Bowey (dependent upon Lever's fitness)

C:       Langdon                   Viney                 Windsor

HF:     ANB                          Fullarton            Chandler

F:        Pickett                     van Rooyen        Fritsch

R:        Gawn                       Oliver                  Sparrow

Int:     Tholstrup/Sestan     Jefferson           Salem          Woewodin

Sub:    Sestan/Tholstrup 

Three debutants, Fulleraton, Sestan, Jefferson.

Back six select themselves pretty much. No Petty he gets to have a run, back or forward, with Casey. If Lever does not get up, bring in Tomlinson. The guy deserves a game or three. Salem to be a cover for the defence.

Langdon and Windsor run the wings. In the middle we have Viney, Oliver and Sparrow as the grunt. In the absence of Petracca I expect Viney to step up. He did last season when Oliver was out. We need him to do the same now. ANB, Pickett, Woewodin and Salem to cover some minutes in the middle. Sestan/ Tholstrup to also rotate through there. With one of them starting as Sub with a view to slotting one in for the other as the game progresses if injuries allow.

With the forwards I would bring in both Fullarton and Jefferson. If they kick a couple of goals between them we are ahead of the game.

Barring injuries, I would try to keep an unchanged team for the next two matches after that a well. Minimal changes.

That is my 2 cents worth.

Pretty good team CHF could be worth more than 2 cents 

A good mix of youth going forward with stronger established players

• Thinking 1

On 11/06/2024 at 18:01, beelzebub said:

Id actually rate Laurie higher than Billings.....  i suspect Laurie doesnt yet feels he belongs out there...    but his disposals are generally considered.  Not writing him off just yet.

Agree with this, one is an early career with at least some improvement expected, the other should be in their prime and isn't performing.

• Like 1