PODCAST: Rd 03 vs Port Adelaide

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Tuesday, 2nd April @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the Adelaide Oval against the Power in Round 03.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0219.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 3
  • Clap 2

How cool, calm and collected does Windsor look? Super impressed by this kid so far. Loved his first goal and love his composure. Think we are onto a winner here. What does the panel think?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jane02 said:

How cool, calm and collected does Windsor look? Super impressed by this kid so far. Loved his first goal and love his composure. Think we are onto a winner here. What does the panel think?

I want to add to this. Clearly he’s “ a winner” but just how good can Windsor be? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, layzie said:

Gruelling game, 31 degrees in Adelaide today.

How do you get this team up for another game in 5 days time? Can we expect at least a few rotations? 

At least the club did the sensible thing and stayed in Adelaide.

No more red eye flights across the country and short prep for next game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gents

Something that keeps bugging me week in and week out, when's the AFL investing more than a 100 bucks in technology?

Shocking that in this day and age their score review is as amateur as it can be. 

• Thanks 1

Howdy gang, loving this segment ty.

Roo is probably the best chop out for Max in the ruck at this point yes?

I think he's been pretty serviceable up till last night, where i fthought he had a bit of a howler.

Having said that i still think he gets a reprieve.  So, does the FD take an unchanged team in for the Crows or maybe tinker/manage a little with say Tommo for Marty and/or swapping Billings / Woe as sub? (who i thought did very well when he came on in the last quarter).

Also by his own estimates,  Smacca (McAdam) said he's only one more week away (assuming no further injury hic ups). 

This would mean he'll be ready for the Lions match Thurs week or, at worst,  the Tigers post the bye (might be via Casey though).

Who would he replace 'IF' we decide to bring him in?  Or can we afford to keep playing the 3 talls in Petty, BBB & Roo once May returns in a few weeks?

Three talls seems like one too many for mine but if Roo goes out we have no decent back up to relieve Max in the ruck.

Some tough selection decisions looming (in a positive way though!).

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great win, great win!  Being a South Aussie Dees fan, if would could make it 2 from 2 this week against the other SA side, ohhh that would be bliss.

big question is load management this week, BBB has been important to our structure, he is going to have quiet games and we need to realise his performance isn't graded on stats or goals which is quite obvious by his leading patterns.  He is quite obviously taking his man away from the hot spot and creating space,  and we use him if it is the best option.

He is going to need a rest at some stage, if May is back then Petty will go fwd and we might be able to manage Browns minutes  that way, but i think he needs whole game rests not in game rests.

What is the best way to manage him? 

Edited by Travy14
  • Thanks 1

A couple of questions from me this week:

1: I’ve not been watching/following the demons for as long as most, if not all, of the posters on here, but in my opinion this was the best game I’ve seen ANB play and was wondering where you guys would rank it in relation to his career.

2: If May comes back in, as seems to be the plan, do you think we go back to the team which ran out vs Hawks (In: May Out: Woewodin) or do we bring May in for Brown (so he can have a rest) or do you foresee any other changes?

Thanks for all your hard work in getting the best Melbourne Demons podcast out to us all each and every week!

• Thanks 1

Hi guys,

looking forward to this weeks pod. As always 5 star rating from me. Question for Binman, do you see a flaw in our forward movement as we seemed to always kick to a contest with Alir Alir. We seemed to lack run and he stopped so many of our forward moves.

• Thanks 1

shoutout to our defense and in particular Lever and tommy mac who held it all together without steven may and under a barrage of huge pressure from 20 more inside 50s than the Dees had

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very much looking forward to the pod this week after what was one of our best wins since the 21 GF 🏆

I’m sure this is something that @binman will touch on in his stats file, but I’d love to hear some more discussion about how we set up in this game to score more from turnover and D50 transition

To me this game perfectly reflected what Daniel Hoyne said in the clips from last week’s pod - that we’re prepared to wear some bumps early in the season (losing clearance, contested poss, inside 50s etc.) to improve our transition, ball movement and efficiency in F50

And I think we perfectly saw the risk reward element of that style of play - letting Port dominate possession and have more shots on goal, but putting ourselves in a far stronger position to score on the rebound (one stat we did win was rebound 50s)

While it will take some getting used to, I think this is a necessary aspect we need to add to our game in order to take that next step (hopefully) come September - but I would love to hear what you all think

Go Dees 🔴🔵

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff as usual guys --- please keep up the good work! Assuming May is out for the Adelaide game, where does Petty play? Having him forward in the second half seemed to work better for us than having him back in the first half. So do we start him back and swing him forward if need be? Or start him forward anyway (which I presume is what will happen once May returns).

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, demoncat said:

Very much looking forward to the pod this week after what was one of our best wins since the 21 GF 🏆

I’m sure this is something that @binman will touch on in his stats file, but I’d love to hear some more discussion about how we set up in this game to score more from turnover and D50 transition

To me this game perfectly reflected what Daniel Hoyne said in the clips from last week’s pod - that we’re prepared to wear some bumps early in the season (losing clearance, contested poss, inside 50s etc.) to improve our transition, ball movement and efficiency in F50

And I think we perfectly saw the risk reward element of that style of play - letting Port dominate possession and have more shots on goal, but putting ourselves in a far stronger position to score on the rebound (one stat we did win was rebound 50s)

While it will take some getting used to, I think this is a necessary aspect we need to add to our game in order to take that next step (hopefully) come September - but I would love to hear what you all think

Go Dees 🔴🔵

This.

Radio and TV have gone on ad nauseam about how PA should have won, based on all the stats. (I don't recall the same hysteria when Melbourne had 32 more i50's in Maynardgate).

We have often bemoaned the losses on Demonland when we win the stats, but not the game. It is both refreshing and intriguing to be on the other side for a change. Can it be explained by finally being more efficient than our opponents, especially with i50's?

Do we embrace this as our new and improved model and move forward, or do the naysayers in the media have it right eg we were lucky?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

H fellas - a couple of observations from me:

- I’ve posted over the last year or so that we have looked heavy or under pressure in games: a stark contrast to 2021, where we played with freedom and flair. Whether this was the weight of expectation or not, we seem to have returned to a more joyous way of playing this season, which no doubt has contributed to our good start.

- Hats off to Lingers, who is starting to return to his best. The last couple of games have seen the return of his gut running return and his defensive ability, helping the transition from the back line. A fit and firing Lingers is a joy to see!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How good was our kicking at goal?

What was the best goal?

Vintage Fritta to open our account?

Anb's confidence shots?

Captain Maxy's big bomb from the fifty.

Jack Viney in his 200 th weaving past Port players Matrix style as if to say I'll just do it all myself?

Sparrows kick from nowhere . A record for getting ball to boot.

Bbb's curling ripper from the pocket reminding us all that Big Benny is Back.

Kozzys effort? This gets bonus points because the Port defender decided to mark it on the wrong side of the white line.

Fritta's second goal to seal the show and then speaking some French to the Port fans (who Bbo aptly referred to as looking like a scene from the walking dead)?

Surely it has to be the one from young gun Caleb Windsor moving like Michael Jackson to wheel around onto his right and put through his first major.

Kudos to the coaching staff and players for reversing a horrible trend of inaccurate kicking at goal. And at an unfamiliar ground as well.

That's how you win games.

Long may it continue.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 31/03/2024 at 00:36, ElDiablo14 said:

Gents

Something that keeps bugging me week in and week out, when's the AFL investing more than a 100 bucks in technology?

Shocking that in this day and age their score review is as amateur as it can be. 

I want my son's gopro back. They've had it for a year now.

• Thanks 1

On 31/03/2024 at 10:40, Skrull said:

shoutout to our defense and in particular Lever and tommy mac who held it all together without steven may and under a barrage of huge pressure from 20 more inside 50s than the Dees had

Saw this post on Twitter after the game. It reads:

So big shoutout to Jason Taylor. He really can find diamonds in the rough.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Wow. What can one say.  Gutsy, TEAM win.  Nobody stopped  ❤️💙❤️💙

Who seriously would have thought both our geriatrics BBB and TMc would be in almost career best form after their awful 2023?  BBB just doesn’t get shorter as the game goes on, and when he has the ball in range I feel confident.  I guess they will both have to be managed. 

An amazing never say die team effort.  

Total raw stats presumably don’t mean everything.  Short break (and how absolutely unnecessary is that) surely will mean some changes. Do you know how many extras they took over?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Shoutout to the amazing Demonland Trackwatchers in Victoria and now in South Australia. Reports from Mondays session has Chandler once again heavily strapped. He came off during the match and went down to the rooms before coming back on and completing the match. There were a few other saw bodies observed with Trac reported to not look 100%. He landed awkwardly during the game and came off for a little bit before resuming. TMac was observed with strapping and was wearing runners at training. BBB was on light duties as he has previously reported as doing for training. He's played 3 games in a row now and has a 5 day break until the next match. The May injury certainly scuttled any plans we had of nursing him through to the bye. Then there is the news that Clarry's hand will be x-rayed each week to monitor it.

Similar question re: changes and managing Benny Brown so I won't repeat it other than to ask would we rest or manage anyone this week?

The training report mentioned Koltyn Tholstrup being flown up. Do you reckon he could be a sneaky chance for a debut should Chin or Trac not get up?

Unleash the Kolt 39

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1