POSTGAME: Rd 13 vs Collingwood

Demonland

4 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

He would have had a jab, hope it is nothing too serious when it wears off. He was holding his kid on his left side during the team song which was great for a number of reasons

Said it was a stinger and he is fine.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

We are a much better team when Salo is up and going. It's one of the reasons we bombed last year. 

This time round he looks fit. I've said it before but he is as important as Clarry, Trac, May and Gawn.

They look for him all the time, to be the entry into F50 with his laser kicks.

• Like 5

Just a thought, could the poor kicking be blamed on having too much grippy stuff on their hands (Wilgrip?) to assist in marking?  a couple of times the ball seemed to drop askew out of their hands.  In particular I noticed it when Gus butchered a kick early in the first quarter.

4 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Just a thought, could the poor kicking be blamed on having too much grippy stuff on their hands (Wilgrip?) to assist in marking?  a couple of times the ball seemed to drop askew out of their hands.  In particular I noticed it when Gus butchered a kick early in the first quarter.

Had no idea they used something like that but it would make sense. A lot of set shots looked like they were kicking a flat footy and either raked across left or sprayed right. If the ball drop out of the hand was unexpected and a split second early or late than yeah the whole routine could get carked up. 

38 minutes ago, Kozzie4PM said:

Get a dog up ya Collingwood

I must have seen that ad a million times.

I've seen it si many times  I have stated analysing the final frame here a dees supporter 'clips' shaq over the head.

What does it mean?

18 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Passage of play at the around the 10 m mark in the last, where  a running Mcvee and Viney combine in the middle to Jvr who marks and goals was superb . Critical play and goal.

Viney’s blind turn away from the tackle and pinpoint delivery to JVR was just outrageous, cos he just doesn’t do that stuff, Robbie Flower did that stuff, NOT Jack Viney. Almost wet myself (having almost done the same after the Lachie Hunter Jonah Lomu-like run through on Hoskin-Elliot)! Having the season of his life is Jack, just stamping his already Dees diamond credentials. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

8 minutes ago, binman said:

I must have seen that ad a million times.

I've seen it si many times  I have stated analysing the final frame here a dees supporter 'clips' shaq over the head.

What does it mean?

I don't know either, but you can't take that guy anywhere.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Problem with that theory is they would’ve been using hand-grip all year. On a personal note, I used ‘grippo’, as a marking and set-shot kicking forward. Never felt it affected my ball drop. 

Edited by Webber
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

I feel like those that can't see why Gus is the team are missing the Forrest for the Trees. 

At this point he's a pure utility that will play a role pretty much wherever he is needed. He's desperate and a good overhead mark. Like everyone in AFL, will be responsible for a few turnovers each match. 

If he makes way for Oliver (which is feasible given the form of our backs) we have an embarrassment of riches.  

Brayshaw will not be going anywhere

As you said, as a pure utility he is extremely valuable.  Can play in a variety of positions

His knockers are clueless and they focus on a couple of errors way too much.  Theirs is unintelligent analysis

He'd be close to top 5 in our B & F ... even in the Demonland award he's sitting 5th and that's with many of the easily influenced not game enough to award him votes

The smart thinkers know his value

• Like 17
  • Clap 1

39 minutes ago, Salems Lot said:

Possibly, I think it's more mental than anything and it's possible we where probably too focused on it after the Carlton game. Chocos Collingwood speaker drill, players being really aware they need to take chances, and after we missed the first few it puts more pressure on the next goalkicker..

Goalkicking should be an automatic action that requires little thought yet continues to be an issue for many AFL players.

Edited by Bates Mate
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Brayshaw will not be going anywhere

As you said, as a pure utility he is extremely valuable.  Can play in a variety of positions

His knockers are clueless and they focus on a couple of errors way too much.  Theirs is unintelligent analysis

He'd be close to top 5 in our B & F ... even in the Demonland award he's sitting 5th and that's with many of the easily influenced not game enough to award him votes

The smart thinkers know his value

It’s the same people over and over carrying on about Gus Macca. Been happening since the early rounds of 2021. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Webber said:

Viney’s blind turn away from the tackle and pinpoint delivery to JVR was just outrageous, cos he just doesn’t do that stuff, Robbie Flower did that stuff, NOT Jack Viney. Almost wet myself (having almost done the same after the Lachie Hunter Jonah Lomu-like run through on Hoskin-Elliot)! Having the season of his life is Jack, just stamping his already Dees diamond credentials. 

What I have been most impressed with this year about Jack is his field kicking. Improved out of sight. Technically better, but also very few of his dump turnover kicks.

I think a big factor is related to your field webbs.

The medical staff at the dees have been dealing with jack's feet issues for years. The amount of physio and rehab he has had to do would be insane.

I'm pretty sure the last preseason was his first that was 100% uninterrupted. Didn't miss sessions and trained with footy boots on from the get go.

The kms he has to run he must put a strain on his feet, but i imagine the way he so often powers though tackles an contests must put massive stress through his feet.

Kudos to all the medical professionals who have helped him get his feet right.

Edited by binman
  • Like 14
  • Clap 2

11 hours ago, Maldonboy38 said:

After standing in a train for 2 hours all the way home to Bendigo (thanks VLine for your usual scheduling disaster following footy matches) it is good to sit and read the wonderful gloating here on DL. And yes, we deserve to gloat. Feeling very good after that win. Huge crowd, Freeze MND, a reduction in betting advertising, foul coffee, and spent 3 quarters listening to Pies supporters around me (outnumbered by Dees supporters abou 4:1 in my section) whinging and moaning. 

Dees by far the better team, beat the Pies all over the ground. And even when they got that fast outnumbered play mobilized down the wing, they hit our backline like a concrete slab. Brilliant coaching by making Moore, and 2 x Daicos accountable. The Pies will NOT win the flag if they don't improve their one-on-one contests. 

Our backline are football gods. Having Salem back to his peak helps. But they annihilated the Pies forwards. 

Hunter and Brayshaw were kicking it to Collingwood in the 1st 15 minutes. Horrible. After that, that is the cleanest we have been around the ball this year. Our handball spread from stoppages, and handball chains down the ground work when we hit our targets. And by foot we were as good 2021. 

Viney (wow, just wow) Trac, Sparrow, Brayshaw were brilliant. 

A really poor showing from Kozzie & Spargo. Chandler not much better but he had a strong last quarter.

I lost my voice after Grundy kicked his goal. A funny Pies supporter behind me yelled out "Traitor - please come back!"

Our goal kicking... I don't know what to type. I couldn't watch our shots on goal in the 2nd half. I put my head in my hands and let the crowd response tell me the result. Just woeful. 

The Joel Smith 'experiment' is a lock for mine. Loved his workrate, his 2nd efforts, and his attack on the ball in the air and on the ground. Not a brilliant individual game, but a strong effective team role. 

Bowey, Petty and Oliver to come back in. If we are refreshed and fit after the bye, the position squeeze is on.

What a great day - Go Dees!

Great effort from all the boys - sheer will to win was what got us across the line plus some shrewd defensive coaching well executed by all the players.

Our kicking was very poor still IMO - goalkicking was abysmal and field kicking generally was not great either.

The best part is that we can certainly improve and have a few very key players to return from injury. Also, big shout out to all the demon faithful who turned out and made some noise - well done. Interesting that Goody highlighted just how important that is for the team. Hopefully we can keep that passion going for all games. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

It’s the same people over and over carrying on about Gus Macca. Been happening since the early rounds of 2021. 

I get that he's not always perfect with 1 V 1 defending but I feel his mistakes do get scrutinised a bit much. For every error there's usually 2 or 3 amazing acts that prevent a goal or start a play for us. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, binman said:

Seriously?

All of those players meet your definition of elite kicks?

And you don't rate Salem, bowey, hunter, fritter and mcvee as elite kicks?

Not even one of them?

No, I mean seriously, are you serious? 

Salem is borderline but not quite, lacks penetration for a half back. 20-30m out of congestion he’s amazing but he’s not a weapon.

Fritsch is very close, I’d say an elite kick for goal but I don’t want to curse him in to another slump.

Did you see Hunter’s first 2 shocking kicks yesterday? Or him struggle any time he has to kick more than 30? He’s barely an average kick these days.

Bowey and McVee, nope, not yet. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

I'm not sure what i was watching, def with my red and blue glasses it would seem, because i never realized he was such a tough bugger at the dogs.

His kicking is what excited me most, but boy is he hard at it. Suits our focus on the contest. 

That hit was as fun as Whelan’s on Hird (ok maybe not that much fun) but we did then win the game!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s Tuesday morning after a KB match which we won. The world seems a better place hardly surprising we beat the pies who were top of the hoop till yesterday. Now they know when they face us it is a loss starring them them in the face. The rest of the comp now knows if we kick reasonably it is game over. Plus a big winner finically.  Sorry to say this but to all the Smith knockers  you know nothing. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, binman said:

The medical staff at the dees have been dealing with jack's feet issues for years

Yep, couldn’t agree more. Whatever formula they’ve struck for Jack’s running load and having him off legs is working a treat for his feet. He’s playing 4 quarters like never before, and (at the risk of mozzing him) is injury free. You’ve mentioned Bin on the pod that his CB attendance and percentage game time have been tweaked downward too. Will be good to get Clarry back to ease the contest load again obviously. As to his kicking, I’m still getting used to him now being top 10% reliable by foot on our list, and using his right foot beautifully when needed too. It’s so rare to see a player at his age improve in basic skills, which can only be a testament to his dedication and work effort. When Goody talks about him, you can just hear the admiration and satisfaction. Imagine also the effect of his ethos on the youngers around him - Sparrow, Woewodin, Jordon. 

• Like 10

15 hours ago, adonski said:

Can't keep carrying ANB in these sorts of games

Lots of great posts in this thread but this one is my favourite.

Convincingly beat the premiership favourites and this is the first post in the postgame thread!

Timing is everything in comedy!

• Haha 11
  • Clap 3

If we were to lambast all of our players who make errors and as a consequence want them replaced, just about the whole team would need to be replaced

Backmen are going to get outmarked, forwards are going to drop marks, players give away free kicks, we're going to get beaten to the ball at times etc etc

That's the sport.  So from an overall perspective, if the team makes less errors than the opposition, we'll probably win

That was yesterday's game ... in the end, Collingwood made more errors than what we did due the same players who made errors for us applying great pressure

And sometimes applying great pressure might mean that 4/5ths of your disposals hit a target (as it did with Brayshaw 83% DE, Salem 83%, Rivers 78%, Tomlinson 93%, May 78% etc etc)

In my view 65% - 70% DE is quite reasonable.  Anything above that is very good to excellent

• Like 4

12 hours ago, A F said:

I'd say it was a 3 and a half quarter effort. We started vvvvvvery slowly and let them play their game.

Lots of room for improvement, which is what's so exciting!

I actually didn't think we started that slowly. Some poor skill errors (notably from Hunter and Brayshaw x2 each) and not taking our opportunities in front of goal while they did meant it was 3 goals to 1 their way but I thought we still had the game on our terms. Just have to nail those chances when we get them.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1