Alice Springs Match

sue

10 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

They had an excellent local shiraz at "The Burra" .

Overindulgence in which accounted for my late arrival in Coober Pedy.

Perhaps Uncle you needed Indy's Dial of Destiny Revivative to assist in recovery!😁

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Is anyone else here a naive [censored] like me that is surprised it's so cold in Alice? Honestly thought the place was hot all year round.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, praha said:

Is anyone else here a naive [censored] like me that is surprised it's so cold in Alice? Honestly thought the place was hot all year round.

Mate, it can get below zero at night in winter, but days are normally sunny and 20+ degrees.

The coldest ever recorded high in Alice is 7 degrees, we could match that today. I suspect we will have a very poor crowd as the weather is a huge turn off for locals.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On 6/17/2023 at 12:10 PM, Bitter but optimistic said:

I should have added that I'm driving. 

I intend to take a fairly direct route there but I'm not sure what I'll do for the return. Maybe Uluru , maybe go north for a while and come back through NSW. Suggestions welcome.

The Adventures of Bitters, Queen of the Desert.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 7
  • Clap 3

14 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

The coldest ever recorded high in Alice is 7 degrees, we could match that today. I suspect we will have a very poor crowd as the weather is a huge turn off for locals.

Forecasting a massive 8 degrees today... radar is a sea of green.

Should be plenty of ducks about.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Mate, it can get below zero at night in winter, but days are normally sunny and 20+ degrees.

The forecast is for 8 degrees tommorow. Low of 5, top of 8. What the?

Forget Alice Springs locals, that would turn off a lot of Melbourne residents. 

I can't ever recall going to the footy for a day game that cold. Maybe one game at tge g when we came back from a huge 3/4 time deficit to win in one of our bleak years ' maybe 15 years ago. 

RGRS, how well does traeger Park drain?

Forecast is for 5-15mm there today and 0-5mm tommorow morning.

Hopefully it's not cold AND wet.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

I think Alice has got word of Uncle coming to town and has simply responded accordingly. This weather certainly cannot be a coincidence. And I believe it’s  going to be more than the weather that gives Uncle the cold shoulder this weekend. I just feel sorry for his niece. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Perhaps Uncle you needed Indy's Dial of Destiny Revivative to assist in recovery!😁

Indiana Jones Movie GIF by DPM

Uncle I hope you were forewarned  about  the local welcoming committee?

Edited by Tarax Club
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

Just arrived from Adelaide, didn't realise it would be colder than Adelaide.

Are you heading to the training session this arvo?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

The forecast is for 8 degrees tommorow. Low of 5, top of 8. What the?

Forget Alice Springs locals, that would turn off a lot of Melbourne residents. 

I can't ever recall going to the footy for a day game that cold. Maybe one game at tge g when we came back from a huge 3/4 time deficit to win in one of our bleak years ' maybe 15 years ago. 

RGRS, how well does traeger Park drain?

Forecast is for 5-15mm there today and 0-5mm tommorow morning.

Hopefully it's not cold AND wet.

7.3degrees here now, feels like 2.2 according to the app. In almost a decade here, today is the worst I have experienced.

As for drainage, I can’t say, but rain hasn’t been heavy enough, so I expect it to be slippery but not really wet.

I will try get to training session and report from there.

Anyone at training, I will have heavy demon’s jacket with big MFC on back, with two kids, boy 9, girl in glasses 13, my name is Dave, introduce yourselves please

on a side note, until today, I have never worn the jacket during the day in Alice

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

7.3degrees here now, feels like 2.2 according to the app. In almost a decade here, today is the worst I have experienced.

As for drainage, I can’t say, but rain hasn’t been heavy enough, so I expect it to be slippery but not really wet.

I will try get to training session and report from there.

Anyone at training, I will have heavy demon’s jacket with big MFC on back, with two kids, boy 9, girl in glasses 13, my name is Dave, introduce yourselves please

on a side note, until today, I have never worn the jacket during the day in Alice

I will admit to being as soft as melted butter - it was too cold to go to this afternoon's training session. "Feels like" on the weather app has been around 5 deg most of the day. Kudos to anyone who braved the cold to go to the session.

After waiting some years to finally get to this game, it's really disappointing that the weather tomorrow is likely to kill the atmosphere and cruel the crowd numbers. But a solid win will make the long trip worthwhile. Let's smash the Ghastly Woeful Shockers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, M_9 said:

OK, so now I’m in Taranto and will follow the game from here. That has to be an omen. Some bloke from the Toigs has that name and he’s goin’ arright.

Hey we want to go to that part of the world and explore Puglia. Maybe in the next couple of years. Rain and 30 on Sunday where u r, a far cry from Torquay and the Alice. See you at the footy when you get back.  

• Like 2

I was feeling jealous of everyone making the trip, as it’s definitely on my list of must attend games, but definitely not in the budget right now.

But seeing the weather, has eased that jealousy quite a bit. 

• Haha 2