PREGAME: Rd 04 vs West Coast

Demonland

6 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

We’ve just beaten a team we’ve struggled to beat in the last decade by 50 points. Of course JJ is stiff, but that’s where we’re at as a club. Embrace it. 

I think a lot of people (Not talking about me) just simply wanted to say he was stiff. Not everything needs the positive police to take their head off.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Regarding TMac's in this week ... I think a number of us might have missed the fact that there is currently a lot of young fowards and the selectors may have wanted another mature head down there to temper any excitement (à la ANB in GF 2021 🙂).

• Like 10

20 hours ago, Palace Dees said:

Jordan's game was the best I've seen him play last week. Hope he stays in 22 but as you say, who becomes the sub? It is a reflection of just how strong this team is. It is a wonderful problem to have, one that most other teams would envy.

So, a potentially outstanding and currently realistic talent in JJ is afforded another substitute status or relegation to the VFL level. He has to be the sub at the minimum. Experience is the only way we can maximise and extend his value to the team and his future development; a game played is a 'game invested' in this young man. West Coast is a perfect opportunity for him to play and it is one in which very little 'risk' from his selection is going to present itself. I think many of us can perceive at least two other players (who most probably will play with less form) that could be rested and replaced by JJ for both immediate and longer-term team health. Let's not lose this upcoming gun with so much to offer as we race towards career sunsets for the identifiable few. 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

7 hours ago, layzie said:

Ok I'm sorry it's not tragic, just seemed like a raw deal considering he played his heart out last Sun. Will use better words next time.

All G, Layz. Adjectives get used n abused all the time. You’re not the first person to have made a heat of the moment choice of words. 🙂

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, D4Life said:

Come on Sunday can you get here faster, seems to be taking forever to get to game time!

I just want to play Collingwood, Geelong, Carlton and Richmond and then finals. I've already bought my Premiers23 poster. When JJ can play like that and get dropped you know things are going very very well. I haven't been this confident since 2021 :)

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, old55 said:

clearly the FD continue to rate Sparrow ahead of JJ as they have consistently for more than 18 months.

For sure ... However, JJ made a massive case to stay last week.

Albeit only one week to go on but was quite a come back game.

Stats from last week also indicate same...

Screenshot_20230408-102244_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.d8e0ff924788cf0110d375185cb5072e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

UNAVAILABLE/Injured

Gawn GF

Salem GF

Harmes  GF

BBB  GF

Jordon  GF

Melksham

Tomlinson

Smith 

who else have I missed?

and a few other youngsters starting to break the door down at Casey

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

So, a potentially outstanding and currently realistic talent in JJ is afforded another substitute status or relegation to the VFL level. He has to be the sub at the minimum. Experience is the only way we can maximise and extend his value to the team and his future development; a game played is a 'game invested' in this young man. West Coast is a perfect opportunity for him to play and it is one in which very little 'risk' from his selection is going to present itself. I think many of us can perceive at least two other players (who most probably will play with less form) that could be rested and replaced by JJ for both immediate and longer-term team health. Let's not lose this upcoming gun with so much to offer as we race towards career sunsets for the identifiable few. 

56 this is exactly where you want to be as a top line club.

A solid 22/23 that's hard to budge and even some super solid players are struggling to stay even when they pony up and put in a great performance.

What message does this send to the usual 22/23 you think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

You are spot on.
I had a quick look into the attendance numbers and for us against West Coast and over the last 20 years in Melbourne, Well it has been pretty poor.
An average of 20K at the MCG where in WA (optus/subiaco) when we play WC they average at least 40k.
It's double the revenue in ticket sales for the AFL for us to go over there if we only play them once during in the season.

Now we haven't had a chance to see what the numbers would be for a crowd at the MCG since 2014 as we sold our home game in 2019 to NT.

I would imagine if this game was in Melbourne this year we'd crack 40k

Where do other teams have to go to , to appease the money grabbing bag of so called AFL entrepreneurs that run this shop?

And is it fair?

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

All G, Layz. Adjectives get used n abused all the time. You’re not the first person to have made a heat of the moment choice of words. 🙂

Yep, the definition of 'knee/hinge joint/tendon-jerk reaction' 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, demon3165 said:

Tmac is a backward step, going to the well again, Jesus are have so many injuries that kids from the under 10's will be filling in, use tommo as a spare ruck if you have to.

Yeah I know roost it, brain got ahead of fingers, meant to say Jesus they have....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, layzie said:

I'm with you, there's stories like this in most successful clubs and whoever gets him is going to have a very committed and ready made player.

As the great wordsmith Jack Dyer once said .... "He's a good ordinary footballer."

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Haha 1

Jordan is an interesting one. Sparrow has higher upside based on his physical attributes, but Jordan is outperforming him yet receiving the chop. I understand team balance plays a part in it, but gotta reward form. Wouldn’t blame Jordan for reportedly putting contracts talks on hold and looking elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Lord Travis said:

Jordan is an interesting one. Sparrow has higher upside based on his physical attributes, but Jordan is outperforming him yet receiving the chop. I understand team balance plays a part in it, but gotta reward form. Wouldn’t blame Jordan for reportedly putting contracts talks on hold and looking elsewhere.

You often hear the commentators say how brutal Melbourne are around the ball.
Goodwin likes it that way.
And so do I.

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

This little boy is an MFC and DA member. His beautiful mum posted this on our WhatsApp chat. She and her husband are bringing their two kidlets up in the very best way possible. Yep, Dees before they were even born. ❤️💙

Warning: cuteness overload comin’ atchya…

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

14 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

You often hear the commentators say how brutal Melbourne are around the ball.
Goodwin likes it that way.
And so do I.

I think either of them (JJ & Sparrow) are very good on their day playing a somewhat similar role but in their own fashion.

JJ may have taken his game up quite significantly vs his form from last season if last week is anything to go by but probably need a few matches to really gauge if this is more than just a one off out-of-the box.

If i'm Goody i'd be wanting to hang on to both and be giving them both a decent run rotating them in blocks with clear advice that they aren't competing for the one role/posi.  They're both valued and we want them both but that they're selection will be based not only on form (VFL/AFL) but also on match ups / game day roles and needs.

Nothing wrong with freshening players up in season either.  These fellas play a tough posi where they'll be getting banged up quite a bit.  Not saying they wont at VFL level either but maybe not to the degree at senior level.

There is also no shame playing with the VFL squad.  Its a super strong squad at the moment and many learnings can be passed on and learned at that level also then brought into the seniors when the call up is given.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Demon Dynasty said:

I think either of them are very good on their day playing a somewhat similar role but in their own fashion.

JJ may have taken his game up quite significantly vs his form from last season if last week is anything to go by but probably need a few matches to really gauge if this is the case.

It was either Roos or Goodwin who said something along the lines of - When the game's on the line and thinking who's going into the middle ..... "I'm going with the grunt."

• Like 2

Looking now at the depleted Eagles squad. Likely danger if any is Darling and Allen up forward. Both have showed proven goalkicking ability. Though May and Petty should be more than capable to cover them.  Yeo, Kelly and Gaff are stars but seem to have lost their edge over last 12 months. Dees should control the midfield and win by 5+ goals. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

It was either Roos or Goodwin who said something along the lines of - When the game's on the line and thinking who's going into the middle ..... "I'm going with the grunt."

Yes 100% Fm.

There are also nuances that might be being asked for Sparrow that aren't being asked and / or expected from JJ and visa versa that we aren't privy to.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Looking now at the depleted Eagles squad. Likely danger if any is Darling and Allen up forward. Both have showed proven goalkicking ability. Though May and Petty should be more than capable to cover them.  Yeo, Kelly and Gaff are stars but seem to have lost their edge over last 12 months. Dees should control the midfield and win by 5+ goals. 

5+ goals,  if they are serious it should be at least 12+, no excuses for this one.

14 hours ago, layzie said:

Not everything needs the positive police to take their head off.

Correct.  There's people here who want to be positive and that's fine, but they demand that everyone does the same. So if you post something negative, expect to be attacked and sometimes bullied 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Demonstone said:

We thrashed Gold Coast by 98 points in August 2021.  Remember that one?  Viney got suspended.

Yes, wow I thought the mind was slipping faster than I thought. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Willmoy1947 said:

Where do other teams have to go to , to appease the money grabbing bag of so called AFL entrepreneurs that run this shop?

And is it fair?

The draw has never been fair... but where it works the other way in our favour is we generally play GWS in Melbourne because we get a bigger crowd. We've played 6 of the last 9 times in Melbourne. 

18 hours ago, old55 said:

clearly the FD continue to rate Sparrow ahead of JJ as they have consistently for more than 18 months.

They're different kinds of players and play different roles. Not really an either/or.