POSTGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

7 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

On a negative note, 48,000 is poor start for us. 

Seriously 

I’m with ya. It’s our Achilles heel. As much ax I hate Collingwood I am jealous of their supporter base . It’s like having one extra player on the field (eg- our last game against them last year)

Edited by Wodjathefirst
Clarity
  • Like 2

Well that put my MFCSS to bed at least until Friday. Apart from the usual culprits that play well for us I thaught McVee was a standout and Chandler certainly earned his spot. Grundys 2nd half was excellent. A special mention to Tomlinson who played a good game.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

28 minutes ago, Tom Dyson said:

Thought Jake Bowey was absolutely excellent tonight as was Mcvee. 

Gee in the last quarter we were running on top of them, looked like we could have played another 4 quarters, excellent signs!! 

After the St Kilda game in the heat, the trainers had the players running multiple sprints. The push for endurance seems to be paying off. Hopefully they’ll keep running out games well. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

On a negative note, 48,000 is poor start for us. 

Seriously 

The average crowd between us and them is 22,700-odd. Tonight was the second-biggest H&A crowd between us since the 1960s. It was also 37 degrees which doesn’t lend itself to some people commuting in. Plus the majority were our supporters, meaning the Dogs’ fans were the ones who didn’t really turn up. 

• Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

I don't know how I ever doubted you Tommo? Great game killed Lobb. Keep it up big fella

• Like 1
  • Love 3

1 minute ago, dl4e said:

Well that put my MFCSS to bed at least until Friday. Apart from the usual culprits that play well for us I thaught McVee was a standout and Chandler certainly earned his spot. Grundys 2nd half was excellent. A special mention to Tomlinson who played a good game.

YES, HE CERTAINLY DID!!! And now maybe all the [censored]-canning can STOP! Should never have started in the first place. Anyways, the confidence he’s undoubtedly gained from tonight’s performance will grow and grow and this is exactly what he needed. And Soz for ranting but the adrenaline is still all a-flow and one last thing before I hit the wall hard and collapse in a heap,,,

YEAH THE DEES!!!!!

• Like 9

Is there a worse kick going inside 50 than Bailey Smith? The guy has superstar sort of upside but could quickly turn into Dylan Shiel 2.0

Bailey Dale would have to be one of the most scared footballers in the league when faced with any sort of pressure

Spargo brilliant, a barometer

BBB back in form, hopefully quicker & more direct ball movement continues to help his natural game

McVee looks fantastic 

Lever huge

Grundy rusty but a couple moments of excellent. His link up play in the middle of the ground before hitting up a target on the forward flank was very good. Optimistic he'll improve as the season progresses

Edited by adonski
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

Thought Lever really stood up in Mays absence.

Bowey is Mr reliable

Kozzie has arrived as a complete player, looks bigger and more powerful and will be a nightmare match up, as if they didn’t have their hands full already with Clarry and Trac.

TMac looked out of sorts , but it’s a positive to kick a winning score with TMac down and Fritter out. BBB will hold down that Full forward spot bar injury.

T mac looked terrible. Only recent bags have been against north, wc, hawks and saints. Has been a liabilty. JVR in next week, but unlikely thanks to goodwins stupid unwillingness to change.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 9
  • Shocked 1
  • Vomit 4

In general I believe that this years group should even be an improved model , not only with the addition of Grundy and Hunter, but the improved maturity of players such as Sparrow and Rivers.

Bowey and Spargo in that category as well.

The other factor is the bigger bodies , like Pickett and Sparrow.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Don’t complain about the Crowd 

The Dogs didn’t show up. That is out of our control 

They’ve shown up on my replacement bus in full force. It’s chock full of them. All very, very quiet. It’s a beautiful thing. 😁 The one who I’m squashed next to is on his phone watching highlights from the match. LOL glutton for punishment. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Tmac was the only disappointment for mine tonight. Couldn’t mark it and missed a sitter after the siren. Will want to improve because JVR will certainly get a game soon enough. My money is round 4 against the Eagles in his home state. 

• Like 6

What an amazing performance! For years the difference between Melbourne's best and worst was a chasm. This game showed me that even at the points when we werent doing well, we were still able to hang in. This is what great teams do.

I think the scoreline did flatter us a bit but we still deserved it. Max Gawn was everywhere and if the new forward kicks like that each week then I'm more than happy with this new arrangement. The clearance game always ebs and flows when these two teams play and there were times when we really lacked Viney in the middle but we managed to see it through. 

Can we talk about Kozzie? The spark, the X-factor, the brilliance, the gem. What more can you say? When he's around stuff happens. Shouldn't have done that bump and hope he's not gone too long but he does play on the edge and that's why we love him

Can we talk about Christian Petracca? He started ok but in that 2nd he turned the electronics into pinball overdrive. The guy is Mr Score involvement and everything about him stands out. And my god he's looking as strong as ever. Binman said on the pod he could get even better, I agree. 8 clearances.

Clarry turned it on in the second half and I think people are massively underrating Gus's game. 10 marks, almost all of them intercepts, ran at 96% efficiency! Great job mate!

Jake Lever seriously came to play. Did the work of two key defenders at times and as usual was as safe as houses with the ball in flight. Can't believe it's 5 years since his first game on this ground and he played a honker against the Cats. What a player!

I thought Spargo did a great job pressuring and his goal sense was really on point. He did have Benny Brown open at the Punt Rd end but he looked so assured of himself as he calmly slotted it. Oh yeah how about Ben Brown? Who thought he was finished again? The question still remains to be seen whether T-mac and Brown play every game this season but he certainly did his job tonight and the new ways of transitioning the ball are going to suit him so much. Looks so aerodynamic as well now!

Welcome to the Melbourne Football Club Mr Brodie Grundy! Chipped om with great ruck work at the centre bounces and his goal with everyone getting around him was so great! Welcome to a real footy club l, not a bin Dipper one!

What tall forwards! JUH, Naughton, Lobb and Darcy held to two goals. A brilliant effort by the backs. Especially Adam Tommlinson. His game was far from perfect but he really had a good crack and played a decent game doing what he does best. 

A great win, bring on the Lions. The tests are coming thick and fast and it could be hard for the outs to get back into this team. Go dees!

Edited by layzie
  • Like 9
  • Love 2

First post.

Great win tonight. Also great that everyone’s acknowledging how good some of the new guys played tonight. Chin, Knuckles, Bill all played great parts. Most did. But I think having Tommo seamlessly slot in down back, allowed the rest of the backline to operate flawlessly. 
looking at it, I think he should probably keep a spot when May comes back. Could probably cover for most spots. 

Might watch the replay. 

• Like 8