PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

On 3/8/2023 at 6:23 AM, layzie said:

You really should have turned left at Albuquerque.

I did. In 1992 on a road trip from Chicago to Los Angeles, I made a point of turning left at Albuquerque, curious to discover where the wisdom of Bugs Bunny would lead me. The road led me to a town called "Truth or Consequences" where I went to the movies in an old cinema and and stayed overnight sleeping in a rental Teepee. True story. 

Edited by Lou C. Fur
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, fr_ap said:

If the dogs play the 4 talls what do we do? Do we change our A1 lineup? Knowing goody the answer would be no, but it has the potential to mitigate the gawn/Grundy forward thing if one of them has to swing back to play on a 200cm forward. 

May - Naughton

Petty - Lobb (I actually think Petty's weakness is ruck-forwards so I'm not hugely comfortable with this and would prefer he switches with May)

Lever - JUH?  Or Darcy?

Darcy - ?????  Rivers/Hibberd/Mcvee?? Anyone of them will be giving away a lot of height

I'm not convinced their strategy will be a resounding success but in general, the only forwards that kick a lot of goals on our backline are ruck-forwards. They've almost got 3 or 4 of them...

Out of all AFL teams we have one of the lists that will cause the Dogs headaches with their new approach.

They will likely never use all 4 talls at once for various reasons already stated. We have 3 quality KPDs plus Gus who is a great mark for a medium sized defender. Max can float into defence if they’re getting on top offensively. 

There is also only so much space in the F50 available so it’s likely that a lot of contests will be large packs, and marks within them are rare. 

On the flip side, the dogs need to counter our dual AA rucks, and the 3 tall forwards when one of them rests forward with BBB and Tmac. 

That will mean Lobb giving English a break from the ruck, pulling one of their talls from attack, and possibly even requiring English or Lobb to float back to cover our resting ruck. 

The solution to their strategy is simply give them their own headaches to deal with. I believe we have the players and structure to do that.  

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Lou C. Fur said:

I did. In 1992 on a road trip from Chicago to Los Angeles, I made a point of turning left at Albuquerque, curious to discover where the wisdom of Bugs Bunny would lead me. The road led me to a town called "Truth or Consequences" where I went to the movies in an old cinema and and stayed overnight sleeping in a rental Teepee. True story. 

Interesting story. Not sure how aware you are of how much of a cautionary tale that is give there was a local serial killer in the 80s and 90s in that town. Don't google that btw. Not a nice rabbit hole 

Here’s my 2 bobs worth a week out. From listening to the chatter and reading the tea leaves from above the top end horizon.

Going on previous ‘happenings’ Judd McVee appears to be the anointed one and is in a good position to debut. After accounting for Roy Higgins and Last of the Mohawks in the practice sims.

Don’t wish to denigrate the young lass who put together the Round 1 mock team, but Michael Hibberd may need some additional match conditioning before being considered.

Kade Chandler is now a lock with Kysaiah Pickett gone a roving and Bayley  Fritsch still in recovery.

Despite ‘Astro’ Naughton briefly getting off the leash round 1 ‘22. Steven May has his measure and it’s back to the pound. Big Demon dog on an over-coiffured poodle.

Not bothered by Beveridge’s delusions of Napoleonic grandeur at the ‘G. Bulldog’s purported reliance on too many talls up forward has historically been a flawed strategy in elite Aussie rules. Especially the modern game. Giraffes don’t chase gazelles.

Bevo the chameleon has morphed from Chopper to the Lil’ Caesar out west for this season. But throwing the talls forward is akin to sending in the Imperial Guard at Waterloo.

Demons are the better balanced team  with champions on every line, in defence, midfield and forward. 

Judging from today’s training session photos, senior team morale is buoyant but also focused and determined.

Clayton Oliver is in awesome mettle. Attila the Hun move over Clarrie’s already banging at the gates of  Whitten Oval.

Et tu Trac?

Beware the Ides of March Luke!

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Clap 4

24 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Interesting story. Not sure how aware you are of how much of a cautionary tale that is give there was a local serial killer in the 80s and 90s in that town. Don't google that btw. Not a nice rabbit hole 

Good listen on Spotify ‘CaseFiles’ - listened to that one recently, wow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

By the sounds of the article I think we need to project our round 1 sides without Fritsch and Viney, but expect them to be key ins for the Brisbane game.

After what happened last year and the talk of playing underdone/injured players, I can't imagine the club playing Fritta with literally no practice match or match simulation for probably a month leading into the Dogs game.

Especially with our history of foot injuries. Just get it right before he returns.

7 hours ago, Tarax Club said:

Here’s my 2 bobs worth a week out. From listening to the chatter and reading the tea leaves from above the top end horizon.

Going on previous ‘happenings’ Judd McVee appears to be the anointed one and is in a good position to debut. After accounting for Roy Higgins and Last of the Mohawks in the practice sims.

Don’t wish to denigrate the young lass who put together the Round 1 mock team, but Michael Hibberd may need some additional match conditioning before being considered.

Kade Chandler is now a lock with Kysaiah Pickett gone a roving and Bayley  Fritsch still in recovery.

Despite ‘Astro’ Naughton briefly getting off the leash round 1 ‘22. Steven May has his measure and it’s back to the pound. Big Demon dog on an over-coiffured poodle.

Not bothered by Beveridge’s delusions of Napoleonic grandeur at the ‘G. Bulldog’s purported reliance on too many talls up forward has historically been a flawed strategy in elite Aussie rules. Especially the modern game. Giraffes don’t chase gazelles.

Bevo the chameleon has morphed from Chopper to the Lil’ Caesar out west for this season. But throwing the talls forward is akin to sending in the Imperial Guard at Waterloo.

Demons are the better balanced team  with champions on every line, in defence, midfield and forward. 

Judging from today’s training session photos, senior team morale is buoyant but also focused and determined.

Clayton Oliver is in awesome mettle. Attila the Hun move over Clarrie’s already banging at the gates of  Whitten Oval.

Et tu Trac?

Beware the Ides of March Luke!

No Alexander?

Great…

• Clap 1

15 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

I'd play Disco Turner he can play tall and small. I'd have him ahead of the unlucky McVee.

Maybe Disco tactical sub?

my work trip got cancelled coz we have no money so i can go to the MCG on Saturday

so pumped!!

changes for next week:

In - Dubdee 

Out - dumb work trip

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 4

Fritta and Viney update.

I was down at Gosch's Saturday morning. Beautiful down there.

A group of under 15's playing a half field game. 8 Blokes have a training drill. Storm having a captain run, and Fritta and Viney doing their rehab.

Looks like Fritta has ticked the boxes. Runs of various lengths, and the sharp start/stop, using hats. Finished off with numerous 70 meter sprints. 

Jack running laps, some parts, going 3/4 pace and the occasional walk. He had some knee strapping on, which he took off and finished more runs. Appears unhindered.

I ask the trainer how they were. She said they “have finished”. Could be they have finished their rehab, or just the session.

All looked very positive. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

I agree with the sentiments that we shouldn't risk Fritsch or Viney.  We easily accounted for Richmond without them and I rank the Dogs in the same echelon.

IMO:

McVee is a lock after a solid lockdown job on Dusty, and Chandler, who could easily have had multiple goals against Richmond, will play.  Laurie didn't do enough to be retained but Woey was good and I think either he or JJ will play.  I like Hibbo for the sub, but it could be the Woey or JJ.

Lever May McVee
Bowey Petty Brayshaw

Gawn Petracca Harmes
Langdon Oliver Hunter

Neal-Bullen McDonald Spargo
Pickett Brown Chandler

Grundy Rivers Sparrow Woewodin/Jordon
S: Hibberd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, old55 said:

I agree with the sentiments that we shouldn't risk Fritsch or Viney.  We easily accounted for Richmond without them and I rank the Dogs in the same echelon.

IMO:

McVee is a lock after a solid lockdown job on Dusty, and Chandler, who could easily have had multiple goals against Richmond, will play.  Laurie didn't do enough to be retained but Woey was good and I think either he or JJ will play.  I like Hibbo for the sub, but it could be the Woey or JJ.

Lever May McVee
Bowey Petty Brayshaw

Gawn Petracca Harmes
Langdon Oliver Hunter

Pickett Brown Chandler

Agree with everything except for Grundy on the bench. I still say he will play more ruck than Gawn and Gawn will be more forward than behind the footy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Agree with everything except for Grundy on the bench. I still say he will play more ruck than Gawn and Gawn will be more forward than behind the footy.

Probably right, and it's splitting hairs, but I betcha Max takes the first bounce.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Out of all AFL teams we have one of the lists that will cause the Dogs headaches with their new approach.

They will likely never use all 4 talls at once for various reasons already stated. We have 3 quality KPDs plus Gus who is a great mark for a medium sized defender. Max can float into defence if they’re getting on top offensively. 

There is also only so much space in the F50 available so it’s likely that a lot of contests will be large packs, and marks within them are rare. 

On the flip side, the dogs need to counter our dual AA rucks, and the 3 tall forwards when one of them rests forward with BBB and Tmac. 

That will mean Lobb giving English a break from the ruck, pulling one of their talls from attack, and possibly even requiring English or Lobb to float back to cover our resting ruck. 

The solution to their strategy is simply give them their own headaches to deal with. I believe we have the players and structure to do that.  

Lobb won't go back I would think it woiuld be Darcy. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, old55 said:

IMO:

Lever May McVee
Bowey Petty Brayshaw

Gawn Petracca Harmes
Langdon Oliver Hunter

Pickett Brown Chandler

Fwd line looks slow and not mobile enough for me (talls). Resting ruck plus T Mac and Brown and no Fritsch is concerning 

If Fritsch is fit he plays for sure. And i’d strongly consider JVR for Brown

• Thinking 1

38 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Fwd line looks slow and not mobile enough for me (talls). Resting ruck plus T Mac and Brown and no Fritsch is concerning 

If Fritsch is fit he plays for sure. And i’d strongly consider JVR for Brown

I betcha if Fritsch does play it'll be Fritsch, TMac AND Brown in the forward line, Chandler will go to the bench, and JJ and Woey will compete with Hibbo for the sub. JVR is no chance of debut in R1 IMHO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rpfc said:

No Alexander?

Great…

Yes

Nibbler’s been great on the track and scythed thru the tabbies at Casey Fields.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John Demonic said:

I take very seriously any warning of evil intent from someone called Demonic.

• Haha 3