Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Fill the ‘G’

Dee Zephyr

8 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

If you like beaches and better weather then for sure. The GF support from the locals was truly bizarre and unexpected and likely will never happen again. 

I was joking JCB. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Not necessary.  What we can do is learn from them (and sadly from quite a few based Melbourne clubs) on how to show real support for our boys on game day.

Better still, do a trade with them with some of our supporters. I reckon I’d be willing to give up three fair weather supporters for one of their passionate fans.  I reckon we would have a lazy 60k we could bring to the trading table. Just imagine having an additional 20k mad passionate fans at our home and away games. Make it more exciting to attend snd would help our lads immensely 

Footnote - I am not having a go at the elderly, Covid concerned or distance challenged. My aim is at the fair weathered mob, in particular the vast number of reserved seat GF finals guaranteed members that do not turn up for many if at all any home and away games

I was joking 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 58er said:

Read para 2 above in my post OD those are some reasons and the ticketing issues further down the post. 

But I have given up accepting any of these as a reasonable excuse They are  copouts from at least 10,000 fans each home game we are missing. 

So the only conclusion I can draw from all this is that we have somewhere between 10 and 20K supporters who only buy a membership to get a final ticket. That may well be the case. The up side, I will take their money and be happy about our increased coffers. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Not necessary.  What we can do is learn from them (and sadly from quite a few based Melbourne clubs) on how to show real support for our boys on game day.

Better still, do a trade with them with some of our supporters. I reckon I’d be willing to give up three fair weather supporters for one of their passionate fans.  I reckon we would have a lazy 60k we could bring to the trading table. Just imagine having an additional 20k mad passionate fans at our home and away games. Make it more exciting to attend snd would help our lads immensely 

Footnote - I am not having a go at the elderly, Covid concerned or distance challenged. My aim is at the fair weathered mob, in particular the vast number of reserved seat GF finals guaranteed members that do not turn up for many if at all any home and away games

Reckon we'd have some good trade bait?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok membership 

I account for 6 memberships as I have a family group with four kids , who all barrack now for the Dees . 
but I get to about only 3 games the others none. Just too far to drive and too costly at the moment.  Not in full time employment and no pension. 
but I will be there this Saturday with one boy 

he was the first I corrupted 

go Dees get it done

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, deva5610 said:

I was at the G on Friday night, smack bang in the middle of some Demon reserved seats and I was somewhat underwhelmed to say the least.

I might add - anyone potting the Demon Army has rocks in their head. They're loud and do a great job. It's a shame about the rest of the fans in the nearby bays. Unless the boys are up, sadly a lot remain silent.

What you say about fans only making noise when the boys are up is sadly true.

When I first joined the DA we were basking in our 10-0 winning streak. The first loss (Freo), a couple of minutes before the final siren and clearly no hope of winning, our guys strike up a chant and everyone joins in. I was dumbfounded. I thought “are these people clinically insane?!” But I quickly learned that no matter the score line, we do not stop. 

I believe that other cheer squads appear to sound louder because their fans in the adjacent bays are just as vocal as the cheer squad. We don’t seem to have that happen. 

And on the subject of noise: I was out in the middle on Friday night when the Collingwood banner was raised and their players ran out. The roar of the crowd was like nothing else. It was otherworldly. I mean, you often hear that roar from the stands, but it’s so much more overwhelming hearing it from the middle. 

Then we raised our banner and our boys ran out. I was similarly awe-struck with the sound, only this time it was booing. Again this is because our fans in general -and yes, we have way lower attendance and way fewer members - seem reluctant to make a noise. My point is, I understand how the umpires and players can be influenced by that sound. It’s so powerful. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, old dee said:

So the only conclusion I can draw from all this is that we have somewhere between 10 and 20K supporters who only buy a membership to get a final ticket. That may well be the case. The up side, I will take their money and be happy about our increased coffers. 

Increased coffers don’t make a noise on GameDay 🙁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, old dee said:

But they sure as hell keep the wolves from the door.

Of course they do. But why can’t we have both like other clubs? Noise AND $$$. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Of course they do. But why can’t we have both like other clubs? Noise AND $$$. 

We had 50 years of getting beaten on a regular basis in other words half a centre. Most supporters are used to keeping quiet so as to not aggravate  the pain. That eventually turned to pity by a large percentage of opposition supporters. Then we finally have some success from 2019 and make the gf in 2021 and win it. However the vast majority of us were locked up here in Vic while the games were played interstate with the GF in WA. So we could only yell and carry on in our lounge rooms. Comes 2022 and half way  through the season we look like we are returning the the demons of old. So perhaps we are returning to the safety of ambiguity. Don't put your head up or we will lock stupid. I don't know to be honest but perhaps that is one element.  

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Increased coffers don’t make a noise on GameDay 🙁

I have a plan!

Appreciate that members irrespective of whether they attend H&A games make a financial contribution to the club.

Focussing on the category that has reserved seats and guaranteed GF access that has members that that don’t go to H&A games but want to get access to a GF if we make it there. Consider this.

Reduce your membership level next year to general membership.  If we make the finals you still can access tickets. If we make it to the GF I reckon most of you would be in a financial position  and have connections to snag a corporate package (use some of the funds you saved by buying a lower membership). 

The benefits would be considerable.

a) Our membership numbers would go up! You would still be a member making a financial contribution to the club and the higher status membership would be bought by someone else. The only catch is the you would want to ensure that whoever buys the reserved seat then actually goes to the H&A games. (This is the plan’s Achilles heel!). I will let someone smarter than me  work out how to make this happen.

b) If the above could be implemented this would mean there would be more of our fans rocking up to the G during the season.

c) More fans equal more noise, more passion, more atmosphere and more of a game day experience.

d) Do not underestimate the impact a vocal crowd has on a team’s performance on field.  (Look at what happened against the Ferals last Friday, look at what happened in the west last year). Vocal crowds matter and have an impact.

e) ‘Home ground’ advantage then also becomes ‘home crowd’ advantage (something that we tend not to get in quite a few games) that in my opinion means that it can only improve the chances of us winning more games.

f) Win more games improves chances of making finals, finishing top four etc.  You know the rest.

To change ‘supporter culture’ means you have to do something different, if you don’t, it all stays the same.

I know, I’m dreaming and the chances of the above happening is virtually zilch. But it’s been very therapeutic for me. I feel a bit better now .

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, old dee said:

We had 50 years of getting beaten on a regular basis in other words half a centre. Most supporters are used to keeping quiet so as to not aggravate  the pain. That eventually turned to pity by a large percentage of opposition supporters. Then we finally have some success from 2019 and make the gf in 2021 and win it. However the vast majority of us were locked up here in Vic while the games were played interstate with the GF in WA. So we could only yell and carry on in our lounge rooms. Comes 2022 and half way  through the season we look like we are returning the the demons of old. So perhaps we are returning to the safety of ambiguity. Don't put your head up or we will lock stupid. I don't know to be honest but perhaps that is one element.  

It’s nothing that can’t be changed, OD. 

Thing is, people have to WANT to attend. And I don’t refer to you and others who have legit issues that prevent them from attending. The people who CAN go but can’t be bothered are those to whom I refer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

There appears to be an implication in this thread that because you pay for a GF guarantee you are somehow obliged to attend every game.

Well I say [censored] that! 

" you pays yer money and you takes yer choice"

Of course it’s an individual’s choice to attend only finals. But doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. 
To members who have the wherewithal to pay for a membership with GFG, I say good on you! Your  $$$ is great for our Club. 
But then I’d ask them: do you know what it’s like to be shunted up to level four since all other GA areas are ‘exhausted’ and to look over the balcony only to behold a sea of empty seats? It’s demoralising. 
As @Wodjathefirstsays (above) the crowd noise DOES affect the players and the umpires. One of our own players said as much. From whom else do fans need to hear that? 
As I posted before, I heard that sound from the middle of the ground on Friday. It’s like NOTHING else. I totally understand how it impacts the players. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Of course it’s an individual’s choice to attend only finals. But doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do. 
To members who have the wherewithal to pay for a membership with GFG, I say good on you! You’re $$$ is great for our Club. 
But then I’d ask them: do you know what it’s like to be shunted up to level four since all other GA areas are ‘exhausted’ and to look over the balcony only to behold a sea of empty seats? It’s demoralising. 
As @Wodjathefirstsays (above) the crowd noise DOES affect the players and the umpires. One of our own players said as much. From whom else do fans need to hear that? 
As I posted before, I heard that sound from the middle of the ground on Friday. It’s like NOTHING else. I totally understand how it impacts the players. 

Good Heavens!!!! What a quaint notion that is WCW!

1 minute ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Quaint or otherwise, it’s nonetheless true. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

It’s nothing that can’t be changed, OD. 

Thing is, people have to WANT to attend. And I don’t refer to you and others who have legit issues that prevent them from attending. The people who CAN go but can’t be bothered are those to whom I refer. 

Agree but it won't happen in one season.will take a decade. Pies have seldom been out of finals and over the same 50 years have given their fans way more joy than us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

What I find quaint Bbo is the idea that somehow we are to blame for the teams failures. 

13 hours ago, deva5610 said:

How good was the atmosphere at those finals!

I was at the G on Friday night, smack bang in the middle of some Demon reserved seats and I was somewhat underwhelmed to say the least.

I might add - anyone potting the Demon Army has rocks in their head. They're loud and do a great job. It's a shame about the rest of the fans in the nearby bays. Unless the boys are up, sadly a lot remain silent.

I commented earlier this year when we were winning home games how eerily quiet our crowd was.

Can't recall us ever being as quiet in 50 plus years of supporting 

• Like 3

Just now, old dee said:

Agree but it won't happen in one season.will take a decade. Pies have seldom been out of finals and over the same 50 years have given their fans way more joy than us. 

And therein lies a quandary. In order to have sustained success, as you say a decade, the fans have to provide one ingredient of such, that being (physical) support. It’s catch-22. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

And therein lies a quandary. In order to have sustained success, as you say a decade, the fans have to provide one ingredient of such, that being (physical) support. It’s catch-22. 

I struggle with the concept that our future success is tied to being rowdy supporters. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, old dee said:

What I find quaint Bbo is the idea that somehow we are to blame for the teams failures. 

No one is blaming you for anything OD, least of all the team’s failures! 
The crux of the problem is the ppl who CAN go but CHOOSE NOT to go (unless it’s a final in which case they’d bend over backwards to ensure their presence). I don’t have a solution, short of setting a minimum H&A attendance before one’s allowed to attend a final. But that’s simply never gonna happen. 
Then there’s the separate issue of the ppl who do attend are seemingly quieter than other teams’ fans. Again, I don’t know a solution for that either. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

I struggle with the concept that our future success is tied to being rowdy supporters. 

Rowdy? Personally I prefer “loud” but whatever. Noise from supporters is but one element. One of many. But it’s one element about which we can do something. 

• Like 2